Get Backers

Radaghast's avatar By Radaghast on Oct 9, 2009

Getbackers is an anime that gets mentioned a lot in the context of many new series, as in "an hypnotic eye? hey, they had that in Getbackers, you know!" or in "using perfumes in a fight? hey, Getbackers did it already!". Since I'm known to my friends as a guy who can find a dozen of things borrowed from Dragon Ball in just about any anime, I was genuinely intrigued. After having read a recommendation that said Getbackers are similar to sCRYed, I was hesitant again since I found the latter a tad too boring, but I gave it a shot anyway. I wasn’t too disappointed.

It's a pretty decent anime. It's very classic in a sense that it has a couple of big tournament-oriented plot arcs, quite a number of rescue arcs, with bunches of mission-oriented one-shots stuffed between them, and a beach episode, and a bunch of good and bad superheroes with inconsistent abilities, and lots of humour, etc. Kinda like Flame of Recca, which is also not terribly popular, but done very canonic. The main heroes are the overly cute one (seriously, he's drawn so cute I was disgusted for a few first episodes, and then in the second half they start making a chibi out of him all the time, which is also pretty annoying) and the cold-hearted one (as usual, being a jerk to everyone makes almost everyone like you). There are some small bugs that I can't be bothered to make a complete list of, because they are mostly of that dread drama-goes-first type. In short, it is not an anime for someone who cares about the settting integrity, you just have to relax and enjoy the story in large. Well, just to name one: there is this Mugenjou place that got lots of people in it, some of them are real and some are virtual, you can't tell unless someone tries to exit the building: the real ones get away ok, the virtual ones disappear. There is a time when a virtual guy jumps out of the window just to be caught later by the main hero to tell him how he is loved by everyone bla bla bla — shouldn’t he just disappear at the moment he steps out of the window, though? Nah, it wouldn’t be as dramatic!

The most enjoyable point is this anti-hero dude, called Dr. Jekyll, who appears regularly and is even defeated a couple of times, but is always scary and always a real threat. I love this kind of character, and he’s really tough to portray, actually. Piccolo at the very beginning of DBZ, Hisoka in HxH, perhaps Kuchiki Byakuya from Bleach — I didn’t say they are scarce, I only said they are difficult to do right. The key phrase Midou Ban says to Jekyll at the very end: "if you ever come after us again, I'll just defeat you again" — is frequently realised by the watcher way too early. With Jekyll, you’re never comfortable, you’re never safe: the first time he’s defeated, it takes a trick, which later seems to be the last weak point of him; even the second time he talks like he still had something up his sleeve. Such characters are even harder to get right in RPG, but that’s another story, an even longer one. A perfect example of making fun of this type of character is Buggy the Clown from One Piece. Anyways, high five on getting this guy right, just five (out of ten) otherwise.

Lorialis's avatar By Lorialis on Aug 9, 2011

I really wanted to give this series a lower score, but since I dropped it four episodes in, I thought that would be pretty unfair.

I had always heard a lot of good things about this series from friends who I normally trust the tastes of.  After watching just a few episodes of this, I began to question their judgement.

I liked the concept of the show, it was simple, but I think simplicity is occasionally important because it gives you a lot to work with.  The general story is about partnership between Midou and Ginji who are free-lance workers who's mission is to retrieve items for employers that were either lost or stolen - by any means necessary.  An anime with such a general topic has so much wiggle room for plot, but it failed to catch me by the 4th episode, so I ultimately dropped it.  Someone might say that that is "unfair," but if something fails to grab you within two hours, a movie's time, then why would you bother to go further?

I'm simply grading what I saw.

The characterization seemed like nothing more than a clumsy attempt at making stereotyped cookie-cutter characters.  A lot of series tend to implement such a system, but usually the expansion of the character beyond just the stereotype is usually obvious by the end of the first episode.  By the end of the fourth episode, I just couldn't take the stale, overdone characters another minute.  Ginji is your typical "goofy" character.  His humor is often interjected at inappropriate times when you're just getting adjusted to a situation.  The humor is usually pretty poorly done to start with, and if you're unfortunate enough to witness the awful English dubbing, the acting doesn't really assist the cause.  Midou is your typical cold, intelligent, semi-mysterious character.

There were times where actions would be explained outloud by the characters.  While I do appreciate when a writer can explain the causes behind an action or why a seemingly impossible thing is possible in the world of the characters, it was always done irrationally.  Midou has a power that allows him to cause hallucinations in people simply by looking into their eyes.  Instead of just having the audience come to conclusions on their own - which would've been really easy considering the sickeningly obvious way the action was performed - they decide to have Midou blatantly say something along the lines of, "This is happening to you because I have this thing with my eyes that I do."  Do they really expect the audience to be that stupid?  Why on earth would he explain that to an opposing character?  This is the episode where I just dropped it.

If you enjoy carefully constructed plots with wonderful comedic timing and rich characterization, you probably shouldn't watch this.  If you want to watch a cookie-cutter style anime filled with tacky stereotypical humor, the same old characters in a different story, and English voice acting that might make you feel a bit suicidal, this is definitely the show for you.

Hajime's avatar By Hajime on Sep 24, 2010

If you lose something, no matter what it is, a watch, a key or even the human heart, you can always get it back…and if not, these guys will get it for you. This is in the top 5 without a doubt, get backers shows the lord of thunder in all his might as former leader of 'the tower' and a man with the ability to invade peoples minds and create a false reality. This is super power heaven, and the plot is killer, high recommendation

PhdInCartoons's avatar By PhdInCartoons on Feb 28, 2013

Good at first, then there doesn’t really seam to be one. At the start you are introduced to the pair and see them on their adventures. Afterwards though, it apears as if the episodes are just being done to keep people in a job. Once the big goal is acheived the characters go back to normal, its very puzzling

O.K., you feel it should be better. There are some inconsistencies in how the characetrs are drawn episode to episode and that is annoying. It is starting to show its age a little.

The voices are O.K. they do a good job at playing the characters and it is no their fault that some characters are bad. The music is ok, nothing special but does not take anything away from what is happening on screen.

Average some of the characters follow well set patterns which work in any action anime. There are some who are different and enjoyable. These characters who peak your interest are never fully delved into and therefor eyou always feel that the show has let you down. The show had s few characters that if they developed properly, which they definitley had time to do, would have made it very good

Overall

O.K., pretty meh. It fades rather towards the end and you get the feeling it could have had a little more direction.

5.5/10 sound
6.4/10 overall
roriconfan's avatar By roriconfan on Jun 24, 2012

This was so boring I yawned three times while typing this text.

Get Backers is the linear tale of two cardboards with superpowers who find lost or stolen items / people for money… usually scraps. And it is also about generic battles with other cardboards with superpowers while making lame jokes in between… for 49 episodes. And if you think this is enough to keep you interested, then your bar is really, really low.

The thing with shounen shows is that there are interested as long as there is something going on in the show that is worth looking forward to. In this case the core premise is revealed already from the pilot episode, and so is the extend of the main duo’s powers. There is nothing else to keep you interested. The missions are short and almost always stand alone and the superpowers don’t evolve or change or need further strategy that the first simplistic time you stare at them. One makes electricity, the other makes illusions, then they yell “sneiko baito”; that’s it, nothing beyond that.

To be honest, the anime is not 49 episodes with just two dudes looking for something / someone. It is also about their daily lives in their store and a secret organization out to get them. The thing is, both these elements don’t mean much in the long run. The sinister plan of the other superpower dudes in the show is not going further that becoming the strongest and ruling the world. And their daily lives are just boring silly events with platonic relationships and goofing around aimlessly. Nothing to keep you interested for long.

This is what made Naruto so interesting in its early stages you know. It had a huge number of characters, each with a superpower and not entirely identified by it. The world was a big place full of different organizations, different goals, different secrets and different demeanors. It was practically a huge collection of shounen stereotypes and stories, all in one, making it harder to get bored right away. It also got lame when it ceased being all that and, just like Get Backers, ended up being a bunch of cardboards with superpowers having generic battles with other cardboards with superpowers while making lame jokes in between… for 500 episodes.

Anyways, Get Backers went under a lot faster than that, as the fillers and the boring stories and the un-evolving characters made their presence quite soon. To be honest, there is a part where the story gets good and it’s when the duo storms the headquarters of the secret organization. Lots of intense fighting and machoness there, almost non-stop. The thing is, the whole deal ended up being a bunch of villains standing in a line and patiently waiting for the heroes to come pick them out one by one in their own turf, while the last boss was some sort of computer of mass destruction. Nothing really wowing here but the constant battles were worthwhile.

Yet, that was actually the ending of the first half of the series. The second half returned to the lame stand alone adventures of finding something / someone, which after such an epic struggle now felt not just boring but unbearable. Don’t you just hate it when the heroes save the world and just return back to their cranny little business like nothing much happened? One would expect for the second half to end in a similar or even more epic way but naaaah, it was tad boring and even open ended. A completely disappointing conclusion for anyone having the patience to follow the show all the way to the end and expecting a redeeming finale.

Visuals and soundtracks aren’t helping either as they are both quite low-budgeted and average, becoming forgettable right away as well. The characters all have generic looks besides generic personalities and simplistic powers, the animation and the battles are stingy on motion and vividness, the dialogues are retarded shounen “I describe anything I do in the middle of the battle”, the music score is passable pop songs and generally everything screams mediocrity… in a very generic tone.

The only things I remember after all these years I originally watched it was the overused scream of “sneiko baito” and some tower full of Naruto look-alikes. Not the best thing to say about any show that aims to be more than boring and forgettable. I do not recommend it and propose One Piece or even Fairy Tail as better alternatives. Not Naruto; it also GetBackered after the fillers kicked in.

And now for some excused scorings.

ART SECTION: 5/10
Analysis: General Artwork 1/2, Character Figures 1/2, Backgrounds 1/2, Animation 1/2, Visual Effects 1/2

SOUND SECTION: 4/10
Analysis: Voice Acting 1/3, Music Themes 1/4, Sound Effects 2/3

STORY SECTION: 2/10
Analysis: Premise 1/2, Pacing 0/2, Complexity 0/2, Plausibility 0/2, Conclusion 1/2

CHARACTER SECTION: 4/10
Analysis: Presence 1/2, Personality 1/2, Backdrop 1/2, Development 0/2, Catharsis 1/2

VALUE SECTION: 1/10
Analysis: Historical Value 0/3, Rewatchability 0/3, Memorability 1/4

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 1/10
Analysis: Art 0/1, Sound 0/2, Story 1/3, Characters 1/4

VERDICT: 3/10