Alt title: Furi Kuri

Unique anime which first in my list is deserve such a low rating. This anime is really hard to understand, understand how could that be allowed? Fenomenal experience, because anime consists of six episodes only but It lasts an eternity.

Story: It's not a story, it's an excuse for all random ridiculous moments you can see there. The best way to collect positive reviews because people very like the "fun" argument and calling it masterpiece immidiately. Also they come up with a deep storyline just to justify themselves and to justify the author.

Animation: Simplified comix style with extremely fast frame rates. The best way to not let you know what's going on.

Sound: Music all the time (some garage rock music), the best way to give you a headache.

Characters: Annoying and single-celled. Best way for the fans to come up with a theory of big symbolism for each character. All of this indicates a Syndrome of searching of deep sense only.

Worst anime on my memory because of common bad quality and meaninglessness for watching. It's better to re-watch some old favourite anime than this absolute rubbish and trash.

I heard it a lot, but after seeing this series I can finally agree: if South Park would have been an anime, it would probably look like this anime.

FLCL is a weird and hyperactive anime up to the fact when you're sure it has it's own self awarness. It tells the story of Nandaba Naota, a 12 year old boy, living in a fascinating, yet somehow boring and ordinary town. I wouldn't blame him. Residenting with his dad and grandfather, spending most of his time by the company three grade-schooler "friends" and by being in a "relationship" with a high-school girl, waiting to see his brother again. Suddenly, a wild vespa appears and smashes into Naota. From this day forward, many things will smash into him, but that's completley normal. Right?

This anime DOES have a plot. Sort of. Each episode lenghts around 25 minutes. The way it looks like: half of the segments in each episode actually have something to do with the overall story of the series. The rest is the complete insanity which comes as a side-effect of the series' surreal characters and settings. The messy way of the story's accessibility will probably confuse even the hardcore anime fans. Personally, I didn't understand almost anything from each episode until I've watched it twice or so. However, the story about coming out of age turns out to be a gem once you understand the anime's abnormal dialect.

This is where everything gets really unique. The creators of the anime embraced its craziness up to eleven and made absolutley everything to make it look so. The style of animation doesn't stay still for a bit. Every moment it can change to anything from everywhere. Yet, with all of the madness, the serious moments (aka the plot related) are also incredibley animated, seeing the characters feeling and deep thoughts without the need of words in many occasions presented. The animation in this series goes very far, from being plain entertaiment in addition to a real work of art within the world of anime.

Not everyone's style. Luckily, it sure is mine. Beside the funny sound effects and extraordinary voice acting (where I'll go into detail in the Characters segment), it possess a rad soundtrack of the Japanese alternative rock band The Pillows, who aren't really known outside of Japan but for being the responsible group for... well... the soundtrack of FLCL. The tunes fits really well into the scenes shown in this high-paced anime, giving it a good vibe and ambient as well. If you're a rocker but not into FLCL, even then you should absolutley listen to its soundtrack. It's amazing.

Now this is a VERY strong aspect in the series. The characters shown are all interesting, each in its own way. Even when there were characters I felt less related to, they had some characteristics I could either show some sympathy into or only laugh out loud about. The voice acting is sectacular and seems to completley reflect the presonality of the entire cast in the series. It what really drive the series, in the funny and serious moments. Even when I knew a character's attributes, I would still find myself surprised from their reactions in the many situations within the series.

I can compare this series to Woody Allen's movies by saying that the world splits into two: those who love it and those who don't. Even so, I would absolutley recommend any anime fan and Otakus out there to give this series a shot. Those who'll hate it will still consider it an experience, and those who'll love will REALLY love it. I would even recommend it people who aren't into anime when they say they want something "crazy". Absolutley love this anime, even with its over-speedy style which sometimes caused me to get lost.

Favorite episodes:

4, 6

Least favorite episode:

This show is mostly one of the funniest shows that I seen. Alright, so the characters are really out there but what I think is the crazy thing is, the one person that is seen as ‘normal’ is the main character, Naota. Unfortunately, I think he’s a little two bland of a character at least in the beginning. He always says nothing ever happens in the small town he lives in but yet, all around him, strange things that aren’t normal are happening. It makes me want to slap him upside the head! Of course, if I did, then something else may come out of his head then.

Haruko is a pretty cool character and as you keep watching, you find that she isn’t just a comedy piece. She actually seems to be rather smart and has some good info. As Naota and her get closer together, I feel that she helps him to except becoming an adult but yet still being a child.

Mamimi, I think, is an adult that never grew up. She seems to not be all there and in turn, it does make her a bit creepy to me. I don’t really see what Naota sees in her and even at one point; he seemed to be forcing himself to actually like her. I think she was just a substitute for his brother.

The artwork is really out of control, sometimes shown with a runny eggs look and other times almost normal (if you can say anything about this show is normal.) Now someone was a good boy and actually paid attention to their camera angles, sometimes it’s just a simple flip of where they are sitting and sometimes it’s just the angle in the battle scenes. Another little piece that’s interesting is that they used sort of a manga panel style once in a while. It shows off a bit of different styles from super realistic to runny eggs to even American pop culture like South Park.

When we go into the thought of English Dub or Sub, Dub I think is the way to go. The voices match the Japanese dub pretty well and they do keep the real intention of the show. Of course, they do change a couple little things but most of them were actually cultural differences and not much else. The music is wonderful and the pillows seem like the perfect band for this show. They are somewhat out of control and crazy but also has a controlled feel.

Ok. David Lynch. Great director, often deals in surrealism. Dude is accomplished, and helped popularize that whole surrealist style.

FLCL. An abortion of an anime aiming to be surreal and out-there but ends up falling into the territory of obtuse and "lol SO RANDUM XD".

Seriously, no part of this makes sense. I'd talk about the plot, but there is none! Non-linear story structures are cool, I often enjoy them, but there needs to be some kind of story. Something has to happen. And no, random monster fights aren't an actual plot point. Sorry.

Then we have the characters. Generic audience insertion autistic school-boy and "I'M QUIRKY!" alien girl. And a robot. Wowww robust cast, no? And not only do they start out bland as all hell, but they outright refuse to evolve. Character development? Fuck that noise.

Oh oh, then the voice acting! Teach a sloth English and you'll have the male VA, and teach a fifth grade girl naughty words and you'll have the female VA. So good! ...

Even if it was just random fighting, that might be good to watch, you know, for the visuals. But no, this show is caught between the horrible anime animation of the 1980s and the slightly better terrible animation of today. It's just no man, no.

This is basically an animation of the imagination games my friends and I would play in first grade.

"Now I'm a robot! PEWPEWPEW I got you!" I would scream, "shooting" my friend with a mock gun formed in my band. "Nooo I put up a shield" he would shout back, his arms held akimbo, simulating a force field.

Anime in 200 Words: FLCL

Premise: This show isn’t actually summarized easily, so here are some elements in the show: robots, guitars, a psychotic pink haired girl, a boy whose head makes monsters, a yellow Vespa, awkwardness, and absurdity.

Genre: This anime is designed to mess with you, not by creating assumptions about who people are and then shattering them, but by simply discarding all semblances of normality. Just go with it.

Characters: There is something distinctly memorable about each of the main characters, but not in the simple “Haruko is a pink-haired girl who moves into Naota’s room” way. If you watch FLCL, you will remember the people, but probably not for the same reasons I do.

Title: What is Fooly Cooly? Watch the show and you still might not know. It appears to be a sexual act, but it’s never explicitly stated.

Story: There is one, because you must start at episode 1 for anything to make sense. I have been told that watching FLCL multiple times helps and that there are religious and ethical symbols.

Overall: Watch episode 1 and you’ll know if you want to continue. I can’t describe all that is Fooly Cooly for you.