FLCL

Alt titles: Furi Kuri

RaZcaL0's avatar By on Jul 21, 2015

This show is something I can watch (and listen to its soundtrack) for hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and ho--- It's basically the best thing I have ever saw in my life!
At first glance everything in this show looks incredibly silly, chaotic and weird, even after I saw it 2-nd time I still didn't really know what the hell actually happened, but after giving it all a little thought, I could clearly see that this show has it's own meaning and purpose, even if it's covered by slapstick jokes and chaos, this meaning is basically puberty and how it affects our lives, the characters are not really persons, they're symbols of a certain things we encounter while getting through this period of life, but saying that the it's the only topic this series touches is nowhere near truth, It goes from family symptoms, psychicall disorders, troubled experiences, to the concept of love itself or meaning of life (literally) and the list can go on and on, and on...
And it's not just my own weird theory, everything that I mentioned is still there, and it only takes the viewer to spot it and appreciate the result.
As for the audio-visuals, I was absolutely stunned.
This is the best looking (and sounding, but I'll talk about it soon) show I have ever seen, and it came out Fif-fucking-teen diddly doodly years ago. 15 YEARS.
I saw so many shows that had lurger budgets (and sometimes were even shorter than this show!) that couldn't come even close to this perfection. Every single shot in this anime is pure art, every single frame gives out incredible energy and emotion, there are no still-frames to be found here, everything is fluid and smooth, and some bigger shots look ama-freaking-zing!
The art style is extremely stylised (english is weird), it looks really unique and fresh, and sometimes the entire show transforms into still-manga pics and FREAKING south-Park themed scenes!
As for the soundtrack, It fits the whole tone of the anime perfectly, The Pillows (which is a band that recorded all the songs specifficly for this show) did incredible job at matching the music to scenes.
It mainly contains punk-rock and overall it sounds kinda like a mix of Blur/Oasis and The Pixies, which they were actually inspired by! It may not suit everybody's taste, but I don't really like this type of music either, and somehow this soundtrack is floating around my ears everytime I'm going to work, so it means something. and of coURSE THE FRKNG ENDING SONG OMG IT'S SO COOL I GET GOOSEBUMPS EVERYTIME AAAAGH----
Overall, I have to say that this show isn't for everybody, You'll either hate everything about it, or You will love it passionetly, like I do, it can be rewatched thousands times and you'll probably still find new thing everytime, the references are endless, the meaning is beautifull and the enjoyment is endless!

(sry for my wanky english, I'm still at a point where I just guess out certain things and words :3)

9.5/10 story
superllama10's avatar By on Jun 2, 2015

absolutely 100% the reason i love anime. new ideas, new formats of telling the story. even if it doesn't make much sense at the time, it will when you watch more of it. the total pattern of the story will emerge in time, and even if you don't like it you have to respect the effort they put into making it.

midnightxrose21's avatar By on Mar 11, 2015

Despite how short this anime was, I really enjoyed it! The fight scenes and action scenes were definitely the best and the random, funny moments were even better xD

mahius's avatar By on Sep 29, 2014

Furi Kuri certainly is 6 episodes of an Seinen, Sci-Fi, random WTF-just-happened kind of anime. While it is highly praised, I'll say it now, this anime won't be to everyone's tastes. It can also be difficult to understand and there is no obvious coherency to the story. Most would find it too boring. It's a refined taste like Whiskey, hence why it is a Seinen. It's like Marmite, you either love it or you hate it. Despite being part of the target audience, I didn't enjoy it initially. Did it get any better?

Animation is top notch. Not only is the quality amazing for an anime made at the turn of the century, but the style is also rather unique. The use of colours is unlike an anime I've seen before. The animation style also varies, with them doing a comic books style in one episode (which I didn't appreciate), cel-shaded in another and even go as far as to reference South Park in another episode. Well done for making the animation style stand out, it does better than some of the more recent animes, despite the obvious age. It has a wacky cartoony style for the most part, going very psychedelic and crazy at times. There is not any ecchi (HOORAY!), though a lot of mature themes are referred to or suggested. "...my what a large guitar you have..."

The sound is another thing that a lot of people love about this anime. Or more precisely the music, which is of the ever awesome rock genre. It's really good rock music and it even made me get the soundtrack. But that's it. It seems they got a rock band to do all the music and while rock is my favourite genre, having one type of music, especially rock in this case, is not good enough to have perfect sound. More precisely, it was the sound design. The awesome rock music was in the background of most scenes, even when it might have been inappropriate or made no sense for it to be there, given the atmosphere the scene was trying to convey. If there was any other type of music, I don't remember hearing any so there wasn't enough and it wasn't played at the appropriate moments. Too much of something good can end up making things go sour. As for the voice acting, there is an English dub and even a French dub, in addition to the usual Japanese audio. I honestly didn't like the voice of the main character, who was obviously voiced by a woman. And boy did it show. The voice just didn't suit at all, no offence to gals who do VO for male characters.

The main character is arguably Naota Nandaba, who is a child. Yes, a child who goes to elementary school, not even a high-school student. Now I have nothing against kids being main characters, but in this case it really didn't make sense having the main character as a kid. And that partially contributed to my non-enjoyment of the start. Naota lives with his single dad (ahem) and grandfather, while his older brother has gone off to the US to play baseball. Apparently he's that good. Unfortunately the older brother is never seen. As for Naota, he acts somewhat mature, sometimes. He also gets a lot of unnecessary physical abuse, which is worse since he's also a kid. Violence against children? This results in him growing strange horns out of his head, leading to more dire consequences (I won't spoil it). Of course being a kid, he doesn't understand everything and is confused. He reminded me of Shinji Ikari from NGE, one of my all-time favourite animes. Not only that, but he seems to be weak-willed, letting others do what they will, even if he complains initially. I'm sorry but I didn't like this character too much (and I hated the VO).

The other main character Haruho Haruhara is a crackpot crazy alien who rides around on her yellow Vespa without any consideration for others. Poor Naota gets run over so many times. And it doesn't stop when she's not on her bike. Speaking of the bike, it seems to have a mind of its own. 'Normal Vespa' my ass. Anyhow Haruho's reasons for staying with Naota and his family are unknown, but it may have something to do with the fact that Naota started growing horns after he was run over by her. She tends to use her guitar wrecklessly as a baseball bat, though thankfully the guitar seems to be tougher than diamond. She is very energetic, does what she wants and is random, could be infected with rabies? Reminds me a lot of Excel from Excel Saga, another anime I've previously enjoyed.

Mamimi Samejima, is a highschool girl, who is... very odd. She smokes, is a delinquent, appears to be homeless and has a heavy infatuation with Naota's never-present older brother. She even goes so far as to try and make Naota himself replace his brother, going so far as to even call him Takkun, which is what she used to call his brother. Mentally disturbed? Definitely. An interesting character? Probably. A good character? Maybe.

The other characters feature less and aren't essential enough to be a main character. Bar one blue robot. Canti is a medical robot who SPOILER< appears from Naota's head >SPOILER and is, in my book, the best character in this anime. Yes he never talks, but he is very considerate, doing the housework and being the maid. Even though he isn't meant for fighting, when he first appears, he saves Naota. A gentle machine, who looks badass and is a very peaceful, gentle character, even helping those who had previously attacked him. Even the characters (well, some) in the anime agree and they all (well, some) love him to bits. He even becomes a badass butt-kicking red robot when SPOILER< he eats Naota >SPOILER. It maybe cliche to say this, but this robot has a heart of gold.

Among the other characters is Naota's dad who also seems to be constantly high, though there is a reason for it, a rather grim and morbid one. The dude with the oversized eyebrows is funny, in that people keep on mentioning his eyebrows and they sometimes come off. There's another girl from Naota's class and she's pretty normal for the most part. Though I did wish they got together or something, could have been cool.

The story, believe it or not, is actually a good comprehendable story. It felt simple afterwards and there weren't too many big twists or turns of the story, but that's a good thing for this anime. It actually all fits together nicely, for the most part. Now of course it might not make any sense if one hasn't watched all 6 episodes but, boy it does at the end. And despite what may appear to be, there is no romance. Again, that makes sense and the ending, while some may not like it, I did. It was a solid conclusion IMO and explains what happens to all of the characters. It seems to be all over the place and there is a lot of sci-fi involved, but its okay, just watch it through to the end if you don't want your brain to explode. And if you still don't get it, then this anime isn't for you. Clearly a niche (?) audience of Seinen.

Conclusion

Overall, a competent seinen anime and one that may make you laugh, though it couldn't make me laugh (as far as I can recall). If you like the crazy, wacky, random mindfuck stuff and something altogether more unique, then this is for you. I have heard of people naming it their favourite anime of all time, but I wouldn't put it that high myself. The ending saved it for me, helping make sense of the story and the like. Definitely not for everyone, if you can't handle a complicated story that is actually simple (make sense of that!), then don't watch it. Since you may even find it boring Otherwise, if you've experience and maturity under your belt, then sit back and enjoy the ride. And the awesome rock music of course.

Family-friendliness Rating: 5*/5 Err, no perverted stuff, but young people may melt their minds with confusion when watching this (lower is better) <-maybe this is the exception?

Overall Rating: 8/10

sirjisu's avatar By on Jan 10, 2014

One of my favorite anime of all time. It is also one of the first anime i ever completed. I guess we can start by simply going down the score list.

Story - There is three main story lines that this anime has all wraped up into one 6 episode series. You have Naota who is a young boy who is living his normal life. He is around 12 years old and his hitting puberty. The whole show it shows his struggles of going through this stage that we have or will have to go through. And, its done really well. Merged into that, aliens are having a battle with a government orginization. Who doesnt like that? The best part is, its subtle and slides right into his semi-normal daily life. Very small action scenes happen but when they do, they go all out. And then it settles back down. The boy is dragged into this battle while he is still struggling with growing up. Finally to finish it off there is an orginization called Medical Mechanica who is trying to take over his town, but what makes this so unqie is its a massive metaphor for something on a much bigger picture. One of the best things is, everyone has a different theory on the show.

Animation - Oh man. The colors. The way the style changes so many times. It just fits the theme of this anime so well. The action is really well done. The charecters look very unqie. Nothing at all to complain about when it comes to animation with this.

Sound - Most, if not all, songs are done by the same band. First off, the songs are just really good. 2nd, the fit perfectly into the anime. Very unique and themed to the series. It set the mood when it needed too. Couldnt have been better.

Characters – I loved the characters. I may not have liked them because of certain reasons but they were really well done with personalities and dialogue. The back stories were very good and intriguing and how it tied them together.

Overall - A must watch. If you dont like this anime, its because you dont like to think in depth on things and dont appreciate metaphors.