Final Fantasy VII: Last Order

sothis's avatar By sothis on Jul 21, 2006

I’m a Final Fantasy VII fan, that's for sure. Having recently watched Advent Children and coming out of it fairly disappointed, I was eager to pick up Last Order and see if it managed to be any better. To my dismay, I walked away even more disappointed than my prior AC viewing. *Le sigh*. As a warning, you might not want to read this if you haven't played the game, since I'll be discussing plot points from it.

Unlike Advent Children, Last Order takes place before and during the game. In fact, the entire twenty or so minutes of Last Order is nothing more than an animated version of many scenes in the game. Literally, that's all there is to it. The verbatim, even, is identical to certain scenes in the game. We are shown the scene in Nibelheim where Sephiroth has set the city on fire, striking down anyone who opposes him. We watch him battle Zack (a huge plot twist in the game), and we watch scenes with the eerie tubed-up Jenova. Unfortunately, that’s all there is to the plot.
While some might argue that the pure fanboy element of showing nothing but scenes from the game is worth a high rating, I'd heavily disagree. On the contrary, I found this to be a complete waste of time on basically every level. It’s one thing to watch a very pretty remake of something. Even though, for example, I thought the ending of the FF7 game was complete ass, I still enjoyed seeing the beautiful CG remake of the scene in Advent Children. On the other hand, the very normal looking animation of Last Order didn’t make me super impressed when seeing the same game scenes over again. Speaking of the animation, Sephiroth's character looked very un-scary and unintimidating, unlike his very badass persona in other forms of media. All of the other characters looked almost disappointing without the beefed up CG graphics, and in general looked very... average. The color scheme was almost a little too dark at times, but this might have been a bad encode. I will admit that some of the backgrounds were quite beautiful, such as a shot of the industrial city of Midgar and Jenova's tank with her inside.
As far as the music goes, it's a testament to how fantastic it was, considering I don’t remember it at all.
The characters are, well, pulled straight out of the games. Due to the fact that a lot of the sequences are flashbacks (often with no dialogue), newcomers would be totally confused and not have any idea what the characters are about. There's probably a chance to get some sort of sense of their personalities, but with a short length even that is difficult.
Kamule's avatar By Kamule on Mar 2, 2010

This is a short story about the Sepheroth incident. It circles mainly around Zack. I found it vary entertaining and recommend it for any one who as spare time.

FullmetalCowboy24's avatar By FullmetalCowboy24 on Nov 27, 2013

Critic’s Log - Earthdate: November 27, 2013. Supplemental Review: Last Order: Final Fantasy VII.

If you have played Final Fantasy VII and remembered the things shaped the events of the game, then this is for you… Here’s Last Order: Final Fantasy VII.

After the destruction of Nibelheim at the hands of Sephiroth, Zack and Cloud are on the run from the Shinra Corporation. As they make their way back to the town of Midgar, they recall the horrible events that happened at Nibelheim, as well as fight for survival against Shinra.

To be technical, this is a Studio Madhouse production and from what I can tell about this OVA is that this is what Final Fantasy VII would look like in Anime form, and this sort of a cool special for the Final Fantasy VII series. This was released as part of the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII however, this is the only entry that doesn’t take place before or after the original game. This entry takes place within the original game, except that it does not count within the series’ canon. This OVA was made as a little special for the fans of Final Fantasy VII. As a production standpoint, this OVA looks fantastic and that’s to be expected by Madhouse, but the animation isn’t perfect even though they could have done much more for something that’s only 25 minutes long. The character designs are okay but not jaw-dropping. Some of the animation does have some slight cheap effects. Most of the time, the animation is pretty good.

The music by Takeharu Ishimoto is the weakest factor of the whole OVA, it is forgettable, it has one memorable tune, and a remixed tune from the original game. Everything else is not worth going over and very forgettable. The soundtrack is just uninspired. Except for the ending theme yet that’s not memorable either.

As with the voice acting, I should point out that an English Dub does not exist in this OVA. Don’t ask me why, it just doesn’t. Takahiro Sakurai is good as Cloud. Kenichi Suzumura is okay as Zack, and Toshiyuki Morikawa is terrific as Sephiroth. The casting is good for the most part.

When it comes to characters, development isn’t such an issue except for some of the members of the Turks who I assume are from the game Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII. I don’t have much to say about characters because this takes place during the game for most of the scenes.

As with the story, it’s pretty much a recap of the events that took place in the game. The storytelling is awful in this special and it was meant to showcase the events in anime form. This may sound questionable for some fans of the game, but if you don’t mind this, then it shouldn’t be a problem. I hate to make this review short but I really don’t much to say about this OVA

Last Order: Final Fantasy VII is available by Sony Pictures. It was released alongside the Special Edition of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. Since there was a quantity of 77,777 copies, my best guess is that it is out of print unless this was only in Japan.

With all that said, Last Order: Final Fantasy VII doesn’t really offer too much except that it is a nice extra treat for the Final Fantasy VII fans. This doesn’t add much to the Final Fantasy VII series, but it does showcase the events from the game well in anime form. It is a little unfortunate a dub does not exist. But with a forgettable soundtrack and the little time that this OVA has, I can honestly say that this is optional viewing.

I give Last Order: Final Fantasy VII a 4.3 out of 10, it is NOT REALLY GOOD!

Feel free to leave a comment.

4.5/10 story