Final Fantasy Unlimited

Hajime's avatar By Hajime on Sep 24, 2010

Sugar, Spice and all things nice, these were the ingredients chosen to create the Magun, the perfect little weapon…well no, but I must say ultima weapon is there though. Yes it shows 2 men fighting out across a fantasy world to create peace and chaos, whos bad, whos good, its typical FF and we love it.

MarkoSinadinovic's avatar By MarkoSinadinovic on Nov 10, 2010

Final Fantasy: Unlimited Synopsis Twelve years ago, a mysterious pillar of darkness erupted off the coast of Japan. Giant dragon-like beasts emerged from the darkness, first wiping out the naval force investigating the disturbance, then each other, in a spectacular magical battle caught on videotape by a Japanese couple on the mainland. In the present day, their twin children live in a largely deserted metropolis where the subway has only one destination: "The Inner World". Following in their parents' footsteps, they encounter strange creatures, powerful magic-users, and, of course, chocobos. But where have their parents gone ... and what are the motivations behind the joining of the worlds? Review In the last decade, Final Fantasy has established itself as the marquee title in the role-playing genre, and nearly everyone who has touched a video game system has played at least one incarnation of this game. However, a good game series doesn't necessarily translate into instant success in other fields, as FF: Legend of the Crystals proved to our eternal dismay. Of course, this was followed up by the 3D computer-generated film FF: The Spirits Within, whose animation has been praised by many, but whose plot hasn't quite proved as worthy of acclaim. So where does FF: Unlimited fit into all this? Well, as the franchise's first full-length television series, it's not a bad start. The FMV mastery of the Final Fantasy games has translated quite well into the 3D CG animation field, and this is in effect from the first minute of this show. Spell and mechanical effects (much of which seem the same, when it all comes down to it) are beautifully rendered and wondrous to behold. Unfortunately, the traditional 2D cel animation of the characters is nowhere as impressive - while competent, it really reflects on this title's intentions as more of a children's show than a show for older FF fans. The style is firmly entrenched in Saturday morning, but at least it's better than FF Legend of the Crystals. More rabid FF fans may have to resist the urge to mail-bomb the animators, especially when the animation goes from adequate to really bad in certain spots. While the premise is interesting, it's evident from the beginning that this is Final Fantasy for the Digimon crowd - rather than dwelling on the mystery of magic and action involving powerful beasts, the audience gets to watch the children get into various chocobo shenanigans usually involving the yanking of Ai's pigtails. Adult characters seem to be either glorified babysitters, ciphers, or weird, creepy villains. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but fans of the more recent FF titles will probably be disappointed. And the action sequences could've used a lot more polish. I really don't think any reasonable creature would just sit there while so-and-so takes fifteen minutes to summon Phoenix or Typhoon ... would you? Not to mention the questionable choice of opponents - after you've shown the audience super-cool dragons and magical trains, you can't tease them with the Stay-Puff Mushroom Man. Come on already! At least the spell effects look cool. Still, FF: Unlimited has an interesting story peppered with amusing in-jokes, like having the famous victory played after the end of a battle, and numerous references to the earlier FF games. The characters are likable and cute, and the music gets a passing grade. Bonus points for the adorable (if obviously no-budget) end sequence, especially if you're a chocobo fan. While I reserve the right to raise my opinion of this show if and when the plot starts kicking in, our first look at this title gives us the feeling that perhaps the creators and animators weren't as Unlimited as they thought. Simplistic 2D animation and a kiddified plot may drive off newer FF fans who are more used to Tidus and Yuna (or even Zidane and Garnet) than Palom and Porom. But as a synthesis of classic Final Fantasy and modern monster-show visuals, it's worth a further look.

roriconfan's avatar By roriconfan on Jun 2, 2012

What the heck are you doing Square?

There is a pattern when it comes to titles. The more awesome they try to sound, the higher are the chances of them sucking. I mean what’s with the name? Unlimited? One would expect the most awesome story or plot twist ever and all he gets is mediocre show with far less to offer than Digimon. Yes, I am using Digimon as an example because this anime is nothing but a bad look-alike of a children’s adventure. Kids traveling to a magical world full of monsters and they get to fight one on every episode.

… Hey wait a second… CHILDREN’S??? What is this; ain’t FF games more teen-oriented? I don’t know many 8 year olds who would manage Materias on FF7 or Junctions of FF8. Why is this anime targeting people outside the demographic? Did they make this in order to draw younger players and not to please the established ones? And why do we even need a magical world and not the one the heroes live in from the start? Even in Tactics the world was a projection of the mind of one of the characters so it doesn’t count as an entirely disjoined feature. But look here; it’s just a poorly made setting with random areas and the characters teleport from one place to another after a mission. I mean one of the nice things about the games is the detailed world map (for a JRPG of course; western RPGs are far more detailed) and here we get nothing but a random pile of random areas.

So where are the elements that still remind us of Final Fantasy? Ok, there are Chocobos and a guy named Cid. They of course don’t actually offer anything to the setting; they are just the mascots. And there are Summons as well. In the form of… bullet combinations. Make that repeated bullet combinations. And ok, the cut-scenes in the games were the same every time you summoned them but I don’t think it looks so nice in anime form. I mean, why are the monsters standing frozen while the gunner makes his special move? And why are all the monsters defeated at once with a simple summon? Shouldn’t they be using a lot more that that? Man, the action in the show sucks…

So ok, they messed the setting and the action. Maybe the characters will be cool. Because that is why you play Final Fantasy after all; for the cool characters going to save the world from cosmic horrors … And you get kids??? Looking for their mommy and daddy??? Shoot man, I know the first missions were always something simple but not something THIS un-epic. The premise is messed up. Ah, wait, there is always Lisa, their baby sitter. Maybe she is a great fighter and cool enough to… NOT! Just a typical mortal with a few spells as a distraction. All the job is constantly done by Kaze the demon gunner. AH, THAT’S MORE LIKE IT! Now here is a cool character to… kill the monsters with one-shot summons. And he always needs to combine three bullets to do that? What if he uses different summons on a given monster; won’t that do the trick? And what is his backdrop story anyway? Why is he not the main character instead of those kids? He is cool man! And for the most part we hardly know or see him; he is nothing but a plot devise to kill the random monsters.

Ok, maybe the build up is better. Maybe it escalates to something far more important and … What the- STAND ALONE EPISODES??? MONSTER OF THE WEEK??? This is Digimon after all! The story is not only unexciting but it is also simple, childish and barely there, as it is made up of mostly stand-alone episodes in one-time locations. Plus it is … INCOMPLETE??? Here I am watching all these episodes and the anime suddenly gets cancelled mid-way.

Boy, this starts to suck bad. Maybe at least the villains are worthy to stand the show for. Maybe they are sinister and spooky and feminine like in the games… And we get this circus of sorts. The main boss is a spoiled rich kid with no powers? And his generals are a bunch of misfits that fit better in a Power Rangers show? WTH man; where is some Kefka/Sephiroth/Kuja wannabe? Why do we get these losers instead?

I’m getting really angry now. Maybe the visuals are going to be great. I mean the games always had great artwork for their time so why not this series as well? … So … what kind of a simplistic artwork is this? Where are the tons of details and the cool visual effects and the awesome battle choreographies we get in the cut scenes? This is like… Digimon. No, it is less than Digimon; the excitement is lower. And it sucks all the way! Who made such a horrible work anyway? OH MY GOD, NOT GONZO AGAIN! Why do you torment us you piece of shitty studio? GO DRAWN IN YOUR OWN CESSPOOL!

Ok Square, thanks for this badly drawn, badly written, badly funded, incomplete piece of trash. It is Unlimited all right.
Unlimited failure.

Rbastid's avatar By Rbastid on Feb 8, 2013

In the line of great Final Fantasy heroes, Cecil, Bartz, Cloud, Squall and now Chobi.  Ok, well Chobi isn't really the main character, but with the terrible group we're given, Yu the complete moron son of scientist, Ai his spoiled brat of a sister and Lisa the ignorant idealist, you know why I picked a bird who chews on hair to be the main character.

Story - 4/10

Final Fantasy Unlimited has big shoes to fill and to tell you the truth the story isn't half bad.  Two children journey to a magical world to look for their lost parents.  They meet a young girl,Lisa, also searching for someone and a mysterious traveler,Kaze, who always shows up at the right time to save them with his summoning cannon.

While on their search they get entangled in Kaze's feud and the plans of an evil ruler, Earl Tyrant, to merge all worlds into one and call forth the destructive Omega to enact his plan.  They also meet many interesting characters who both want to destroy them and that want to help them save the world.

The failure comes in the execution, not really of the story, but of the main characters themselves.  They are completely unlikable, painstakingly annoying and most of the time brainless (Why Chobi is the hero in my world)  The best characters, besides Chobi, are Makenshi, the enemy of Kaze who is equally mysterious and also carries a summoning weapon.  Kaze's partner, who is only in about 4 episodes, Moogle and Knave the leader of the comodeen.

I was ready to give the series a 6 for story and then we get the last episode.  The final battle is a 2 second affair that ends with the credits.  They really just gave up after things started to look promising.

Animation - 3/10

The main character animation for this series is horrible, and thats being nice.  The characters are so simplistic and many times seem as if they were left over drawings from Ranma 1/2, especially Lisa and Miles.  When they cut in the over used "Kigen Arts" animation it really looks as if they created it at the last minute, and to keep you from seeing how terrible it was they threw a blur filter over it.

The few exceptions to the animation downfall are Kaze and the mechanical creations of Cid.  Both look like they may have taken up a majority of the animators time, thus leaving the other 30 characters to be drawn by a grade school art class.

At times you can see that the bad quality of the animation isn't only having to do with the drawings themselves, you can see the background plates through the characters.  I'm not an animator myself, but apparently they either had subpar paint or the digitizer had no idea what he was doing.

Also there is a good 30 seconds of animation, maybe more, that is reused in every single episode.

The background's are much better than the foreground animations.

Sound - 3/10

Shocking that a series with Nobou Uematsu at the helm would get such a bad score, but it really shows more of the terrible decisions made by the voice over team, and slightly due to the sparseness of music.

First the voiceovers.  I watched the english version and it is hands down one of the worst voice cast I've ever heard.  I know they were going for young voices and off beat voices, but they were all like nails on a chalk board.  Ai and Yu are just whinny sounding kids that you would hope get eaten by a Malboro.  Earl Tyrant is even worse, the ruler of Wonderland yet he sounds like a strangled version of Haruko Haruhara (of FLCL)which almost made me sad thinking it could have been her, but thankfully it wasn't.  The Earl's henchmen also become so draining, with Fungus slurring every last word and Herba having one of the most grating voices in anime, her pronunciation or Makenshi and calling everyone Baby almost had my TV become part of my wall.

Now Nobou's music.  It was very weak, with the music only catching your attention in the last few episodes, where it started to pick up with the great town music of FF and the completely underrated Final Fantasy XI soundtrack.

Characters - 3/10

Most of the characters are dull and over used, we see the same 4 villains through most of the series with little excitement coming from any of them.  The others, like Clear, Moogle and Kaze we learn little to nothing about, when in all honesty they should be the main characters of the story.

A majority of the characters are completely brainless, not even goofy brainless but drool all over themselves brainless.

They only get a 3 based on the stories you end up creating in your head for each character.

Overall - 4/10

I wanted to like this series due to the final fantasy connection.  15 Episodes in and I completely hated in, 21 episodes in and I started to change and episode 25 just destroyed any good feeling you'd have towards the anime due to the failure of an ending.

It will be good for the young or those who want to watch it just for the little FF connections, like all our favorite summons and Moogle.

angelsreviews's avatar By angelsreviews on Aug 6, 2013

First off, if you are looking for something that is just like the games, then stay far away from this show. It is made for children and that’s how it should really stay in my mind. Another thing is that it pretty much gives you a middle finger when you want to know more of the ending because the manga that takes place after this isn’t translated for Americans. I seriously don’t know why they would dub this (except for maybe the big boom of video game selling, and yet, this has nothing to do with them.)

A lot of the stuff that should be explained is never explained so I feel really left out, not a great way to try and get me to watch. I actually don’t feel I could finish this show at all. Nothing is explained; some things are implied but leave you wondering what the fuck was going on. In the end, I lost interest half way threw because of this and the fact that Kaze’s summoning takes so freaken long. I mean, do we really need a 10 minute summoning in a half hour show? Its worse then Sailor Moon’s transformations each and every episode. I just about fell asleep to it! It pretty much consists of him flipping a bullet as he talks about what color it is and what it symbolizes, it going into the gun where it pretty much shows as a CG version, and then he does it 2 more fucken times… give me a break! How come it has to happen that long?

It pretty much seems to take up all of the show just for him to summon one monster. It was supposed to be 50 episodes long but got cut down to pretty much fucken half, so makes me not want to watch it even more.

The animation is BAD! Really, the runny egg look of everything and the way they move is so bad. The design of things looks like a freaken acid trip and the CG feels much out of place in a lot of the scenes. What can I say? Gonzo messed another one up again. I mean, go look at it if you really care about the animation because I don’t know how else to explain how bad they messed up.

The voices are really bad, most of them full of monotones that show no really feeling. Kaze rarely speaks and even his counterpart seems a real downer. I really wish he would talk a little more. At least explain something!

Now here’s a part where I’m going to speculate something about Kaze and his rival that I probably will never know if it’s real or not. Kaze might be the reincarnation of Bahamut and his rival is the reincarnation of Mist Dragon from the fight in the beginning of the show… There, I said my bit, and I probably will never know the truth now because the stupid show is bland and the part with all the answers has not come out in English.