Eyeshield 21

MiniManu's avatar By MiniManu on Aug 5, 2011

Story: 9/10

You might be thinking "what the hell, gridiron and anime!?", Well, you're in for a suprise. I started watching this anime thinking, "hehe this can't be any good" and when the anime fnished, "OH GOD THE HORROR!"

SO! Is you don't know the concept of the story, it's about this wimp named sena who is found by people of the same school, Hiruma and Kurita, while running away from bullies, and these guys find that he has amazing speed and if he trains enough he can turn into this legendary gridiron player. SO! Sena trains and trains like your basic shonen anime gaining new powers every now and then and the way they present is frikkin' epic

Animation: 9/10

The weirdest thing you notice when you start watching Eyeshield 21 is that Hiruma has really pointy ears and Kurita has a head shaped like a slime out of Dragon Quest. DON'T WORRY! You'll most likely get used to it.

Most of the characters are your averagely animated people BUT I rated the animation 9 for the presentation of Sena's (and his rivals/friends) special moves such as the Devil Bat Ghost. It's really epic...really epic.

One other weird thing which I noticed is that EVERY TIME they get a touchdown, get tackled or catch the ball, the helmet always falls off, but I guess you can get used to that as well...

Sound: 10/10

ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS! The character voices are all executed very nicely, but my favourite was Hiruma and his sly voice and his laugh and his "YA-HA!"

I liked the opening and endings but the ones I liked the most were all the ones near the end of the series.

The OST was AWESOME, I loved the music when sena does some tricky awesome thing but then again I guess that happens in most animes.

Characters: 9/10

The characters were pretty much your basic shonen anime characters, which is a good thing. Sena the guy that starts out pretty weak but gains powers constantly, Hiruma the guy that is 100% sure that he'll never lose and always has a plan, then there are your comedy relief characters and more. (I don't know how to do a character section review)

Overall: 9/10

DON'T THINK IT'LL BE BAD JUST 'CAUSE IT'S ABOUT GRIDIRON/AMERICAN FOOTBALL!!! This is a great anime and I loved it, (except for the episodes which I presume are fillers here and there)

(sorry for the long review, first time reviewing, feedback please!!! Oh, yeah, and the series doesn't end where the manga does so I have to buy around the last 7 volumes of the manga, THANKS!!!)

hc41182's avatar By hc41182 on Apr 25, 2010

the first and so far best sports anime i have ever seen it have alot of characters but supposed to only have one main il say they all become one as the team and the sheild/family of eyeshield 21 you learn to love them and they are as much the anime as a main person sould ever be it also brings competision to the anime well it is a sport so ofc but still i like that really much competitions can turn any way you can think the main characters don need to win for the show to go on wich makes it a litle more fun to wait and see what happens overall its a damn good show

Anudevil13's avatar By Anudevil13 on Dec 4, 2013

Eyeshield 21 was my 1st Sports Anime and I absolutely loved it.

Eyeshield21 is story about a weak boy named Sena Kobayakawa ,who is always bullied and while escaping from them is saw by the School's sole american football members Hiruma Yoichi and Kurita Ryokan and hence recruited by them(more like forced) to join the Club due to his extremely fast speed.

Then begans the adventure- Its the last chance to Win Christmas Bowl for the 2 seniors- Hiruma and Kurita. So the conquest to get new members begin, The team finds many promosing candidates and the training from hell begins. Read as how the team fights its Opponents - Gains victories and suffers losses to get their Ultimate Goal. The story gives adequate information about the Game and its rules- making even an newbie get the game.
Though Fillers may annoy some of audience ,but hey they arent that bad.

Animations

The animation of eyeshield felt ruggished at some scene's while totally cool at technique releases. It would be not best in animation but good overall.

The anime sound were quite good,if not great. The Ya-Ha of Hiruma was memorable and was enjoynment every time. The devil bat and its student had a great voice to it aswell! Overall all chars had good voices, OST and EST were good and sounds during show was above average aswell.

What could be better in a manga then story itself?The answers is characters. Eyshield21 features a huge cast of charcters with all having differnt personality's

Hiruma Yoichi- The Brains of team, who has plan for everything along with his little black diary which has dirt on almost everyone in mangaverse.

Kurita Ryokan- The fatty who eats a lot (seriously lot) but is kind, emotional(too dman much) and great powerhouse.

Sena- The weakling with god tier legs who makes himself strong and gains courage.

Raimon Tairo- The Monkey Boy- acts like monkey, walks like one, eats like one, talks like one and brain like one too ._. . That aside a great reciever who has nothing to do but CATCH MAX!!!.

Komisubi- The ideal apprentice anyone can hope for- Master!!! / The Ha Ha  brothers- group of 3 deliquents who have been always together and say HAAA together hence the name . and yet all 4 are brilliant Lineman

Yukimitsu- the Nerd with weak stamina/ Taki- The Brilliant Idiot/Mamori- the caring girl nicknamed Mother~

and lots more chars to keep u lued with each having different personality

Overall

Eyeshield21 is a great Anime to watch for any sport lover, but its lacking from manga.

8.5/10 sound