Elfen Lied

omnioblivion's avatar By on Jul 15, 2015

Basic storyline is understood quite well, but the background story is very lacking. A lot of unnecessary questions are brought up constantly, which can interfere with the basic storyline.

Animation:

One of the few shows where excessive violence ruins the flow and nature of the show. Does a good job of showing the details, but is extremely distracting and ruins a lot of the good elements that Elfen Lied has.

Sound:

Intro theme summarizes a lot of the nature and mood of the show quite well. Quite beautiful scenery and music in critical moments of the show.

Characters are quite likable with good background given to each of them. Psychological aspects of the show defines a lot of the traits of each character in the show.

Overall:

Again, the excessive violence absolutely ruined what could have been a great show. It makes likable characters more like rag dolls and completely dehumanizes them.

BackseatAnime217's avatar By on Nov 20, 2014

To start this review off, I am going to say that I am giving this anime a completely blunt and honest review. This is strictly MY opinions and MY thoughts. That being said, I watched this anime about a year ago, so some things are not fresh on my mind. So with that said, lets get right into this.

Story: When you spend most of your time watching anime after anime, you tend to find yourself looking for something with a little bit more of an "edge" to it. This led me to the popular, Elfen Lied.

Elfen Lied contains a storyline that, in my opinion, had alot of potential to be a good series.

~synopsis~

Elfen Lied takes place in KamakuraJapan, and focuses on the "Diclonius", a newly evolved species. Their appearance is similar to humans, albeit with several differences, namely horn-like protrusions on the forehead and the presence of telekinetic invisible arms called "Vectors". One such Diclonius, Lucy, is the main character of the series: Initially held in a facility built for experimentation, located off the coast of Kamakura, she manages to escape and wreak havoc, but is injured in the process, an event which causes her to develop a secondary, childlike personality known as Nyu.

Lucy is found by two locals, Kohta, who studies at the local university, and his cousin Yuka. They take her in, and become involved with the numerous, often brutal, attempts to recapture her by a Special Assault Teamand a number of other Diclonius, who shift frequently from oblivious to murderous.

So in a way, I chose to watch this anime as a sort of "horror relief." Ocassionally, a little gore is a good thing in life. By the end, I was kind of wondering how the heck I binged this series in a day without going crazy. The storyline was not all that bad, in fact, It could have been an awesome anime.....but then we got to the characters and animation.

Characters: Personally, I didnt form a connection with any of the characters, and in fact, the only character that I vaguely remember is Lucy. Lucy began as quite an interesting character until she formed a split personallity which, if i can be honest, was an extremely idiotic and annoying character. Lucy, why didnt you just remain as LUCY and not become "Nyu?"

Animation and Sound: As far as being easy on the eyes, this anime did decently well with the animation. It is not exactly MY cup of tea in the art style, but overall compared to some anime I have seen, the art and animation was not all that bad. The soundtrack however was the hightlight of this rather unsatisfying anime. The opening song is absolutely BEAUTIFUL and the musical score throughout is gentle on the ears.

Overall: After breaking down the major points of the series let me end with a small rant. This anime is NOT for the faint of heart. If you can not sit through an anime where someone looses at least one limb in each episode, than please stick to the nicer slice of life anime. That being said, I thought the creators of this anime were going for a "shock" effect by throwing as much gore and unneeded nudity at the viewer and hoping that they would get hooked on it enough to finish the few episodes of the series. In the end, I do not recommend this anime to someone who is picky in what they watch (like myself.) Granted, I did watch Elfen Lied, and at the time, I thought it was great....until you later realize that you were just blinded by the overall effect of the horror and gore.

Once again, I apologize if my opinions do not agree with yours, but please do not get to hurt. And please ignore any spelling errors, It is late here in the Lone Star State.

Goodnight, readers.

Goodnight.

MisterHexe's avatar By on Jul 3, 2015

So I've cried at the end of episode 13 ,It is worth watching but it would be great if the Arms studios would do a recap  of this anime with a season 2 or just making season 2 of this anime.So this anime can be reborn with a new fresh look and updating the caracter models  and then it will have some potential . See yaa

RangerMcdaggerd's avatar By on Jun 23, 2015

(Going to try and keep all my reviews Short)     (And probably Vague)

I came across this anime while I was browsing the "Supernatural Genre" and had planned to watch it a long time ago. Now that I have finished watching it, I can say that I enjoyed watching it.

When I first started watching I first thought there was just to many body parts flying allover the place. But as I progressed I just couldn't stop watching till I found out how the rest of the anime unravelled.

RBMAN's avatar By on Mar 24, 2015

Story is messed up, but good. What this anime is about: Powers, boobs, blood, guts, incest. I actully hate the ending because there is no second season. I guess I'll have to read the manga.

9.7/10 overall