Eden of The East Movie II: Paradise Lost

Alt titles: Higashi no Eden - Movie II: Paradise Lost

OnLittleFeet's avatar By OnLittleFeet on Sep 11, 2010

Eden of the East Movie II: Paradise Lost as a movie delivers the fan service and characters we've come to know and love via the series and first movie.

It's another excellent, "Here are your favorite characters doing what they do best! Oh, those wacky shenanigans :D" --without revealing anything useful as to why they are doing what they are doing. Still. Again. For the third time.

The ORIGINAL SERIES tantalizes us with snippets of brief, delicious story, much like the well-rounded thigh peeking through a smokin' hot dress. There are elements of danger! Romance! Silliness! Danger! More Romance and a very decent mysterious plot that leaves you wanting to know more.

And then they leave the series in a cliff hanger and ask you to watch the movies. Alright, you think. I can do that. This is really good. Surely in two movies they can finally explain everything, close up some loop holes, tighten the plot and entertain me!

And they do.

Entertain you, that is.

As for the story in this movie? (And the last, too) It's as if they have forgotten what has gone on in the first series. The note of danger has long gone. In fact? Danger got kinda bored with strung-along plots without any explanaition. It kinda started yawning in the face of lack-of-consequences for character actions. Now it's on vacation somewhere with some other animation, leaving Eden of the East II: Paradise Lost flapping out the window, showing it's bare, boring bum.

It doesn't make sense. The motivation and very real sense of there being some dire need pushing each character has gone the way of the dodo bird. AKA: extinct. Gone. It is not pinin' for any fjords. It is no more. It has ceased to be. It's expired to meet its maker, danger and plot sense has gone stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace and if they hadn't nailed the same characters from the original series and movie to the perch of this movie? It would be pushing up daisies.

The plot, reason for characters to do what they do--the story? It has rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible.

This is an ex-story. It is dead.**

Animation:

On the bright side, the animation is absolutely stunning! Don't let the simple character facial animations and 'everybody wears the same clothes all year,' syndrome get you down! The expressions and movement along with the backgrounds and settings are visually amazeface.

I seriously have artists envy recalling some of the scenes. I was all, "omg! How they paint that so real?@22121122!"

Sound:

They K.I.S.S the sound in this animation. (Keep It Simple Stupid.) You have a neat, jingly opening theme and your mood music throughout the animation and then wham bam, thank you ma'am--ending. There's not much for me to further note. It fits splendidly with what they need it to do but isn't terribly memorable past...Well..It's been probably 30 minutes since I watched it? I couldn't tell you how any of the music goes.

Characters:The characters are where this shone. If it were not for the fact Saki and our beloved Air King were in this movie, I wouldn't have bothered torturing myself with massive plot holes that made me throw my hands at the screen to startle my husband out of waking with--"WRRRY? WRRY THAT HAPPEN? WHAT IS GOING ON? WHY DID THEY SAY THAT? WHAT--NO! NO, DON'T DO THAT...OH MY GOD WHAAAAAAT?"

I love the characters. They are well rounded, quirky and brought together with a flair for subtle comedy and the same expert handling they were melded together in the original series.

And yet they some how screw this up by obviously doling out a certain romantic aspect to keep wibbling romantics at heart (What? Stop staring at me. LOOK I LOVE, LOVE, OKAY?) watching. The ending is almost neener-neener spiteful in not concluding in a natural way that it should. It is cliche in its handling of a relationship, where the man gets to be the happy-go-lucky jackass and the woman has to stand at the window looking misty eyed and pretty, while breathily whispering, "I'll wait for you, put my whole life on hold like the giant idiot I am, for uuuuuuuuuuuuu ILU OMG~~~~"

The characters were fantastic. Their development and actions in this movie? Pencil-in-your-eye-stab worthy.

Overal:

I gave it an 7.5 because a.) I loved the series and the fact that they are, at least, trying to squeeze every last penny out of it by roping a die hard fan like myself back in with flimsy plot and--"Oh hey, things MIGHT happen! Mwuahahahahahahah!"

But they don't.

And also because it is amazing, visually, and if you can stop flailing about like a muppet being tazered due to obvious gaping plot hole being obvious, it is still an enjoyable way to waste time. The characters are fun, the story is different, and by god--compared to what's being crammed down our throats lately, entertainment wise, it sure as heck deserves the honorable mentions of an 7.5.

I do recommend you watch the series, the other movie, and this.

And not just so your eye can twitch like mine every time nothing gets explained right.

**Credit to a Monty Python sketch about a dead parrot. It fit when describing what they did to the story and plot, okay?

ratchet573's avatar By ratchet573 on Mar 21, 2012

This is the end of Eden of the East, and am I happy about it? Truthfully, I am. While the series was a fairly entertaining ride (thus warranting the 7 I gave it) the first movie was pretty pointless (thus, the 6). Paradise Lost is the conclusion of the series, yet...doesn't really feel concluding at all. It just felt like more nothing.

It's strange really. This series is supposed to be focused on far reaching consequences and the results that these twelve people have on the well-being of Japan, yet you don't see much of anything really change. There's the missiles, which changed some things, but after that it feels like all of the things these characters do have no really worthwhile consequence. At the end of Paradise Lost you feel like you've watched nothing because of how incomplete it feels. And that's not because the ending is lame (which it is, it is not exciting and doesn't really make a ton of sense), but because this movie cuts off, just like the series and the last movie, without a clear ending. It's like this is meant to be continued, but somebody realized that was not a good idea and canned the project. Like maybe there was supposed to be a third movie but the first two were so repulsive that nobody wanted a third.

The hour and a half this movie takes up does have more plot progression than the previous film, but, as I said, nothing feels substantial and everything seems inconsequential. Things are happening, but none of it makes a ton of sense. There are bad guys, but none of them are any good (just as I've said with the past two reviews). Nothing is changed here. It's just a bunch of nothing. And I'm sorry to hurt anyone's feelings, but this series just isn't that smart and isn't that good because of the fact it does nothing. Takizawa and Saki are back in Japan to end the game. They learn a bit about Takizawa's past (Takizawa has magically regained a lot of his memories too). And then there's a long stretch of nothing. There's all this set up to a nice final confrontation, but there's nothing. Takizawa ends it rather boringly and that's that. A series and two movies to lead up to a conclusion about as thrilling as watching paint dry. And even then, it's not a conclusion.

So what is good about this? The animation and sound. There you go. Otherwise the story is dull, uninteresting, unexciting, and pointless. The characters are all pretty much the same. Nothing about the plot stands out. Nothing about it is particularly good. Nothing about it is exciting. It's all arbitrary feeling. As if whoever wrote this was forced into writing it and didn't really care. It has no heart behind it, it has nothing behind it.

Taken as a whole, the series starts off good but degrades over time. And that's sad, because as I've said before, I love the premise. But if this is all you get for an ending, if this is all the series leads to, then I feel like I've wasted my time.

Paradise Lost is an apt name. At first this series seemed like something I could really love, a paradise. Turns out, it loses any hope of that halfway through the main series and just goes downhill from there.

Eden of the East: Paradise Lost is a 5/10.

The whole series, movies and all, is a 6.5/10.

DemiV's avatar By DemiV on Jan 11, 2014

As a Higashi no Eden fan, I believe fans deserve a much better ending from writer Kenji Kamiyama. Paradise Lost went against the entire suspenseful plot of the Eden franchise in general. The mystery of the game is inexplicable. There’s no romance between the two main characters. It disappointingly concludes the Higashi no Eden series with illogical conclusions, no clarifications, and even more questions leading to cliffhangers.

This is no longer a dangerous game as it was portrayed to be. Mr. Outside makes an appearance, and he doesn’t fit the script of a criminal mastermind or an evil villain. There are last minute changes to the game in the last few minutes of the movie, and it eliminates all of the seriousness that occurred throughout the series thus far. Apart from that, the game ends without revealing the Supporter and explaining anything about how Juiz operates.

As in the anime series, Takizawa ends everything with a bizarre move, and everyone wonders “What is he doing” and “Why is he doing this.” No one know what Takizawa is thinking, and he never explains himself. Also, it ends in a goofy fashion when the series appeared to be serious.

There is no happily ever after between the two main characters. Nothing changes with Takizawa and Saki, and they spend no alone time together. While Takizawa is dealing with the drama of being the successor to the throne, Saki sets off to search for his long-lost mother. After everything’s over, Takizawa and Saki basically go their separate ways again.

At times like these, I would turn over to the adaptations for an alternative ending. Sadly, there is no manga in relation to Higashi no Eden, and the novels written by Kenji Kamiyama are the same as the TV series.

My advice is to read reviews on Higashi no Eden II: Paradise Lost before beginning the Higashi no Eden series altogether. The series starts on a good note, but the final ending is mediocre and twists the entire plot. If you already watched the series, then you may feel the need to complete it. However, don’t get your hopes up, because the dedication that you put towards the entire series will probably result in a heartbreak.