Dragon Ball

JtkBasketball's avatar By on Sep 23, 2012

Dragon Ball started it all... well I don't know, but everyone knows what it is. Dragon Ball is great and keeps my interest through every episode. Humor, action, character developement, and it is the start of a dynasty.

Story: Goku (our main protagonist) is a pure hearted kid who loves martial arts. He lives only to get stronger and help others. Goku makes friends, conquers enemies, and revives the dead by collecting the dragon balls. Goku is crazy strong possessing super human strength (mostly because he is not human), but the fights are not as crazy and outlandish as in Dragon Ball Z and GT.

Animation: I got nothing against the animation. It is bright and colorful and does the job well. It is clear that the show is old, but that does not hold it back in anyway. I really like how Dragon Ball looks, but there is nothing spectacular about it.

Sound: I like the music and character voices. I can't say what the sub is like... I don't even know if there is a sub. I like the music, hell my old Goku alarm clock woke me up with the music every morning. The voices are great in my opinion.

Characters: The characters are great and diverse. There are tons of characters and each one is unique and adds something to the story. I love almost all of the characters in this show.

Overall: The show is great and captivating and funny and action packed. I would recommend this to anyone. I love this show.

7.5/10 animation
Danielwhiteey's avatar By on Dec 5, 2014

An anime I thoroughly enjoyed as a kid and now I have to come to appreciate it once again. Re-watching this thrilling action packed adventure reminds me of why I do martial arts.

This feel good story follows Goku a boy who continues to defy human limitations and discovering new power and challenges along the way. Unlike DBZ I feel like Dragonball earns its name as the main objective of finding Dragonballs to aid those in need, with Tenkaichi Tournaments separating these quests. The fight scenes are amazing; they leave you speechless as you decifer how this rival will be defeated.

Goku's hero qualities are childlike in manner as in many instances keeps his enemies alive because he wishes to fight them again in the future. This method instigates him gaining new allies to fight stronger opponents in the future.

Overall this anime is amazing. When I watch it I am taken back to my childhood as I relive one of my most favourite adventures.

RingoStarr1991's avatar By on May 5, 2012

***This is a spoiler free review. Even if are somehow spoiled by this review...come on it's Dragon Ball go watch it already.***

Ahhh Dragon Ball, the series that for most of us was the gateway into anime. I actually did not first watch Dragon Ball until after watching Dragon Ball Z and the utter disgrace of Dragon Ball GT. What this show brought to the table would set the pace and tone for so many shonen anime we see even in today’s anime.

Story: 9/10

Dragon Ball like many other shonen anime was a very long running show (lasting +150 episodes). The story spans from the meeting of Goku and Bulma all the way to the 23rd Tenkaichi Budōkai tournament. As the series progresses, we see Goku mature from a naïve country boy into a young adult. The plot itself is very interesting as it introduces new characters within every arc and also allows plenty of character development. The whole show really feels like an entire flowing adventure unlike some other anime that come off very blocked arc like (hope that makes sense).Its overall length plays out as a positive because while it could have been longer, the series ends on a very good moment setting up the epic Dragon Ball Z.

Animation: 5/10

Since the show began airing in the late 80’s, the animation was just not up to the standards we place on anime today. While the fight scenes show great fluidity between frames, everything else comes out bland and some character models are very unattractive.

Sound: 6.5/10

***This is biased off of watching the English Dub***

I first saw Dragon Ball on Cartoon Network in English and I was astounded at how well the voice acting was. While there are some voices that I could not stand (young Chi-Chi -___-), I have to tip my hat to the English Voice cast. The music in the openings were average while the sounds during the show helped provide adequate atmosphere for the fights. The only thing that really bugged me was since this is an older anime, the lip syncing was sometimes off and annoying to watch.

Characters: 9/10

There are a crap ton of characters in the Dragon Ball universe. While most of them come off stale at first, Dragon Ball really shines as we get to know the staff. Some of the characters go through major changes in both physical and mental form. Previous characters that at first were evil turn out to be some of Goku’s closest allies by the end of the show. The characters are really well done; you love the good guys and despise/ loath the evil characters.

Overall: 7.4/10

While Dragon Ball Z is more action oriented, Dragon Ball’s focus on the adventure and character development is still to this day some of the best and most memorable parts of film that I have ever experienced. The pacing of the show is just so well done as you meet new characters throughout the entire show that become Goku’s lifelines. The action scenes are fun to watch even if the animation is dated. If you somehow have not seen this anime yet I STRONGLY recommend you start now. This by far one of the best shonen; no best overall anime of all time.

Enjoyment: 9.8/10

Thanks for reading my review! If you liked my writing style, would like to see some other reviews, or just want to talk, please stop by my page!

Sincerely,
Awesome Drummer

DuskFey's avatar By on Feb 2, 2012

Anime in 250 Words: Dragon Ball

Why 250? Long series… more to say.

Premise: A young boy with uncanny strength, speed, and martial arts abilities teams up with a bunch of people to fight bad guys, grow into stronger fighters, and find the dragon balls. The show alternates between finding the dragon balls and the world martial arts tournament.

Characters: Goku is my favorite, because he’s just an irrepressibly good guy. Chiaotzu gets annoying, and I HATE Chi Chi, but other than that, we’re all good.

Art: It bugs me that it’s impossible to guess the ages of Akira Toriyama’s characters. Apparently, people in the Dragon Ball universe age in spurts instead of a steady progression like the rest of us.

Plot: OK, now I know why we need enemies in this show, and I can appreciate how Goku and company stand against the villains, but there is a serious problem here! If I were in charge of the Red Ribbon Army, you know what I’d do? I’d wait for the world martial arts tournament year to come, and THEN I’d go after the dragon balls. That way, all of my foes would be too busy fighting EACH OTHER to bother me. Really now.

Powers: I admit to liking the steady progression of abilities here. There are very clear thresh holds of power for Goku to cross (and for everyone else to eventually reach).

Overall: This is essential shounen anime in my book. If you haven’t watched it, you should.

6.5/10 animation
6.5/10 sound
Hajime's avatar By on Sep 24, 2010

Dragonball follows the character we all know, Goku at a young age. I say if you loved Dragonball Z then you love watching Goku's history, and reveal just some of those questions you may of asked during Z.Its cute, funny and very Akira Toryfied, what an excellent franchise.