Dragon Ball GT

Anthraxinsoup's avatar By Anthraxinsoup on Dec 19, 2009

I know, I know. Many don't like DBGT to much still, It's a great show in my OPINION(keyword there, I'm a big dragon ball fan). The show is great, the story is pretty damn good. Goten being older is a plus for me as he was always my favorite person in the whole series. The end built for the movie even better than all the other movies. It's a must watch for a Dragon ball fan, and for most that arn't even the biggest of fans.

Hajime's avatar By Hajime on Sep 24, 2010

Its been years, Uub's training is over, but now we travel back to Dragonball days...well at least Goku does. many new problems and trials arise, but just didn't have the same impact. If you are a huge franchise fan, and don't watch this, then your a quitter. if you havn't watched Dragonball Z, or even just Dragonball, then I say watch them 1st.

roriconfan's avatar By roriconfan on May 17, 2012

The creator of the original story, Akira Toriyama, had just finished Dragon Ball Z. He decided to stop there, as the series was already way longer than it should. But the producers, seeing how famous it were, decided to continue the show on their own. Toriyama drew the characters but tried to stay away from it as much as possible since the result was Dragon Ball GT, a messed up mediocrity. It is considered not to be part of the canon storyline and it’s so lukewarm many don’t even accept it as part of the same universe altogether.

The dialogues and the broken physics of Z remain here as well. I won’t repeat them here; just read my Z review about it. The production values did not improve in quality much compared to the Z series yet at the same time had a much worse feeling to them. The soundtrack was hardly as exciting and the battles lacked suspense to the point everything felt childish and dull, way inferior than before. A thing they improved was the change of backgrounds since they were going to a different place every few episodes instead of spending a year in front of the same type of hill or tree. Of course for the same time no area was given enough screentime to become interesting but whatever. Another thing they improved is the amount of reused animation, since the battles don’t have the same number of frames repeating for over a dozen times before something changes. For the same reason they last too little and have far less motion in general, so that is not making the action any better.

Trying to keep things fresh, the show dropped the extreme battles and returned to a more adventure/mystery element. The heroes are all significantly weaker than in Z and that was supposed to make their opponents more threatening. I guess that was the next logical step to take, as they had already surpassed even the elder gods and the lords of hell in power and kicked the crap out of beings that could destroy the universe with a few snaps of their fingers. The scenario is about Son Goku, becoming a kid again and travelling to space in order to find another set of Dragon Balls and again protecting the universe from evil aliens that want to rule or destroy it. The series began very lightly and cheery and progressively became darker and scarier. This alienated many fans of the Z series, as it felt too childish and without epic-scaled battles. Towards the end of the show they did eventually returned to a more epic type of a storyline but by then nothing made sense and the new villains were hardly well thought of or even cool enough to care about.

The pacing is very erratic. At first it is very slow and low toned and towards the end it goes turbo and tries to start, develop, and complete entire arcs in just a few episodes. I can’t say it was successful in any of the two cases, since the formula it worked with it was to keep things epic and slow, not easy going/slow or epic/fast.
-The first villain, Baby, is an alien creature that can possess the body of anyone he touches. He intends to possess the strongest Saiyan warrior in the universe, avenge those who were killed by the Saiyans and build a homeland, where everyone is brainwashed to consider him a God. There is also some drama on the parts of the bad guy and a big surprise about the Earth, which eventually is not saved!
-The second villain, Super 17, is the fusion between two androids. He is a generic villain but if he succeeds, all the villains of the past will escape Hell and return to life. There is no drama in this story ark and the Premise makes no sense.
-The third villain, Li Shen Long, is the evil embodiment of the Dragon Balls. If he succeeds, the universe is his. This story ark was too reminiscent of the Z series but the battles were quite dry and the ending was lukewarm.

The characters retain their quirky behaviours but the show hardly focuses on more than a handful of those. By now there were over 50 main and secondary heroes, even more were added to the mix, and everybody felt like a stunt. There was also no conflict amongst the heores, as there was in the earlier shows. No anti-heroes like Yamcha, or Picollo, or Vejita to keep things interesting to the most part. Even when they eventually get their spotlight, it still feels like they don’t do much at all.

It is the least favorable Dragonball series and for a good reason. The story is slow and the battles are quite dry.
-The first half of the series is completely boring. More reminiscent of a cheesy children’s adventure than of Dragon Ball as we knew and loved it.
-The second half was more reminiscent of the Z series, with more action and interest. But even this one had rather boring battles and without much battle choreography. These episodes were half good.
-There is also a movie special. The movie takes place 100 years after the ending of Dragon Ball GT. The great grandson of Goku, looks exactly like him but is quite a crybaby. His grandmother, Pan, sends him to find a Dragon Ball as a test of courage, out of Goku’s original house. The movie attempted to continue the GT series by introducing a kid, following the steps of its forefather. But the plot is simply boring and the story feels like watching the first episodes of the first Dragon Ball series, only without the catchy humor. Goku jr., Pan and Vejita jr. are not appealing at all. It is generally a pointless movie, where nothing great happens. No major threat, no memorable villains, no thrill for the ending.

If you like Akira Toriyama’s style of animation, look for the series Doctor Slump and Blue Dragon as well as games such as the Dragon Quest series and Chrono Trigger.

And now for some excused scorings.

ART SECTION: 7/10
General Artwork 2/2 (interesting)
Character Figures 2/2 (generic but memorable)
Backgrounds 1/2 (basic)
Animation 1/2 (basic)
Visual Effects 1/2 (basic)

SOUND SECTION: 6/10
Voice Acting 2/3 (silly but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Music Themes 2/4 (mediocre)
Sound Effects 2/3 (ok I guess)

STORY SECTION: 4/10
Premise 2/2 (interesting)
Pacing 0/2 (messy)
Complexity 1/2 (not much)
Plausibility 0/2 (none)
Conclusion 1/2 (cheesy)

CHARACTER SECTION: 4/10
Presence 1/2 (most have lost their charm)
Personality 2/2 (cheesy but well founded)
Backdrop 1/2 (generic but it’s there)
Development 0/2 (none)
Catharsis 0/2 (none)

VALUE SECTION: 4/10
Historical Value 1/3 (not very famous compared to its older brothers)
Rewatchability 1/3 (low)
Memorability 2/4 (it has some good ideas here and there but does very little with them)

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 2/10
Art 0/1 (looks lazy)
Sound 0/2 (sounds meh)
Story 1/3 (good ideas but too stretched out)
Characters 1/4 (they got really boring now)

VERDICT: 4.5/10

4.5/10 overall
Krissdafish's avatar By Krissdafish on Jun 5, 2011

I know, I know. By the majority of the dragon ball fanbase this is hated. Though to its credit, its really not all that bad. For me it seems like most of the haters are all fanboys who just went along with the hate wave. I mean it was disappointing, and thats why I think it got a much more hate than it deserved. But in this review I will try to justify the goods things in Dragon ball GT and at the same time show that im aware of the negative things.

To begin with why not point out the good ones first. I mean after the end of Dragon Ball Z, many people(including me) hadn't have enough of Goku and friends. At the time Dragon Ball was the only manga/anime in my life. So naturally i wanted more, and of course Toei Animation made the sequel. The thing is that Akira Toriyama didnæt want to create a new series and was tired of Dragon Ball thus he played a minor role in Dragon Ball GT's production. The series was not based on the official manga, but in return they showed us some promising things. After Dragon Ball Z I had completly forgotten that the series started out with a more comedy-based approach. Goku as a kid with unbeliable strenght, yet at the same time had so little knowledge about the modern society was funny and charming to read.

Thats why i think it was decided that Goku was to be returned to being a kid again, by accident of course. So the series could go back to its roots. The thing here is that Goku still has his adult mind, but even as an adult he is very diffrent from other adults. But not did they just make him a kid again, they even brought back some of the older villains, which i thought was a promising attempt. Not just did they bring back some of the older villains, but also the arch-nemesis of the Saiyans, namely the Tuffles. The Tuffles already existed in the Dragon Ball universe, though they had yet to make an apperance. So seeing the Tuffles having a major role in the series really made me excited.

The character are mostly ok. The ones we know from before like Goku, Pan(barely, but she have made an apperance) and Trunks, they are recognisable. We know them from before and few things have changed. Its mainly those characters that the plot focuses on, for the most time the older character makes very few apperances. The show introduces some of the older villains with a creative twist, which I liked. Though when it comes to the new villains, i must say "what were they thinking?". The character design is goofy and well you might have a hard time taking them serious, because they look so weird. The only new villain i liked is the tuffle, which is introduced towards the end of the show(without trying to spoil anything). Also i just love the sitations that occur when Giru and Pan is in the same scene, they really made me giggle.

The plot somewhat holds through. They really made a drastic change to the rules for the dragon balls. Though then again that change actually led to an ending I was satisfied with. The plot is generally about that the dragon balls have been filled up with so much negative energy because of all the selfish wishes that have been made, so they took form of seven dragons and that they were sent into all the directions of the universe, so Goku, Pan and Trunks have to go on a inter-galactic travel in search of them to revert Goku back to his normal state. What I really like about this plot is that they reveal, the dragon balls true intentions. This ending truly gives an end to Dragon Ball while it also teaches a valuable lesson to those who just could not get enough of Dragon Ball and wished for a sequel after Dragon Ball Z. If it wasnt for the ending the plot led to, it would have been ridiculous. They also bring in a creative twist when it comes to the evolution of the saiyan stages.

Another thing that I actually love about the series is the opening theme for the japanese version. I love it. There is actually a part of the very last episodes which has this theme playing, while the narrator tells you that the adventure of Son-Goku and his friends are finally over and at the same time it show various flashbacks chronologically from the moment Bulma and Goku met for the first time and showing many of the greatest moments from all the diffrent parts in the series, up untill the end of GT. Which i swear to god is the most emotional anime moment in my life. I can just remeber that ive felt tears running down my face while i watched it.

From that I actually recommend this to all Dragon Ball fans. It might not be canon, but its still a part of the franchise. And if you feel that you've been cheated from a more conclusive ending to Dragon Ball, I really recommend that you should check it out. However to enjoy this for what it is, you do have to have a few things in mind before you begin. One: This is not the work of Akira Toriyama, and he only played a minor role in the production. Two: don't have expectations. And three: Many anime series, which is based of a manga, do seperate from the main story, but that doesnt make the anime bad. Enjoy it for what it is and not what it should have been based of. It does alot of things which shows that it can stand by itself.

-Krissdafish

Slayare's avatar By Slayare on Apr 23, 2014

I'm not sure why not many people like it. It was an add-on of Dragon Ball Z, one of the greatest animes out. However, it was merely adequate - yet still good to relive the DBZ world.

7.5/10 story