Digimon Movie 2: Bokura no War Game

FreddyCrab's avatar By FreddyCrab on Jan 12, 2012

NOTE: AS A DIGIMON ADDICT MY REVIEW IS LIKELY TO GIVE VERY HIGH MARKS. FOR ANY PERSON WHOM IS NOT PARTICULARLY A DIGIMON OTAKU THEY WILL PROBABLY GIVE THIS A LOWER MARK OR AROUND 7 OR SOMETHING.

Story: This Digimon story is set about 2 years after the television series of Digimon 01. In this movie of about 50 minute length an evil Digimon takes over the internet and its the original group of Digidestined to save the world as missiles head to earth and the world of electronics runs wildly out of control. It IS more interesting than it sounds, I guarantee that.

Starting off relatively normally, Tai emailing Sora apologising for some fickle little thing, Izzy then appears saying hes found a Digi-Egg with a virus. This Digimon soon digivolves to form a Mega-Level Digimon what has hacked into the worlds electronic devices and has set missiles to hit both Colorado and Tokyo. Despite all the fighting in this particular film being all done by the Digimon online and the digidestined, for the most part, being stuck watching on a computer screen I have to say the fighting scenes were amazing. They easily topped the fights from the first movie and from the first anime series.

This film is also very funny, cracking wise-jokes and full of slap-stick moments as well as sweet relationships strengthened with all the characters this film really is good. I can't say anything bad about the storyline, except for the fact that half of the Digi-destined weren't seen in it for more than a few seconds. Mimi is in Hawaii vacationing, Joe is taking a test, Sora is too busy throwing a hissy-fit at Tai to save the world and Kari is at a party blissfully unaware of the danger everyone is in. At the end of this, only Tai. Izzy, Matt and T.K are left with their Digimon to save the world. This makes this film seem even more on the shounen-side, since pretty much no female characters are shown at all throughout the film other than Tai's mum who ocasionally appears to give Izzy her home-made concoctions by the names of Spinach Cookies and Liver Sticks, and yes, they do taste as bad as they sound.

Animation: For 2000 the animation is superb. The fighting scenes are addictive to watch and the characters look amazing. Admittedly the characters not focussed upon like Sora and Yolei as well as random people in backgrounds can look pretty sloppy, but the important things look great.

Sound: The soundtrack to Digimon is fairly similar to the anime. It has the theme song used a variety of times as well as other Digi-related songs. Other normal songs used throughout it I really liked and they really suited the film.

Characters: I love the Digimon characters <3 They were all brilliant. I would have liked to have seen more of Mimi and Joe (Not so bothered about Sora ¬¬ ) and I would have preferred Matt and T.K. to have been actually able to get away from their gran to actually fight the Digimon PROPERLY. But they're all brilliant and sweet :D

Overall:  Its actually a really amazing film. The story keeps you hooked, the animation is superb and the characters are great.

9.5/10 characters
Thrawn's avatar By Thrawn on Jun 25, 2013

Story: Holy shit guy, holy fucking shit. This plot man, it's like you just knocked out a lion with your balls. It's that fucking kickass and right now, I'm referring to that fucking kickass final fight, which is a total digiboner. Two digiboners actually. Man, that fight alone? Makes it 11/10 for being so fuckballs amazing and the pinnacle of everything thus far. Totally kicks the shit out of the next Digimovie and the second season for being so pimptastic and just so damn awesome.

So fucking amazing that it's worth watching for that moment alone.

So amazing.

Alright, other stuff. Seriously,  I didn't even know this second movie was the second movie, I thought it was the first or something and was wondering what the hell was going on until I done some spelunking and found it was what it was and wasn't what I thought it was. That doesn't change much and the plot's pretty good all things considered. Gives a reason on why Mimi is out of the show and given 10 seconds of screen time (7) and Joe is being Joe, doing shit that doesn't involve saving the world or being useful to the team. He's just doing Joe stuff and screw him, he barely gets any screentime and that's for the better of the picture.

Now, what does work is that fuck balls awesome fight and it's all thanks to a digidigimon. Or digimon, but on the computer making it twice as digital. I'm sure it's legit and all, and it's after the first season because everybody's grown up and Kari and Sora are as adorable and lovely as ever. Both needed more screentime. But the plot, pretty impressive considering how short the kids movie is. I really enjoyed myself with it, and the subplot between Tai and Sora, that shipping is always good because that ship is one of the best.

I haven't really talked about the plot that much but seriously, it works. Fits in with the Digitheme of the series, works with the mythos, leaves a sequel hook with some tool named William who so isn't one of the original 6 and it doesn't just shoehorn everybody in for shits and giggles. It's not some reunion where everybody is there and it's convenient for them to join up again and kick some digiass. It has that realistic feel to it, normal life that impedes with saving the world and when they do get to it, it isn't buttery smooth. It's rocky, like a bunch of rocks. Gives them conflict and ways to find resolutions, mixes it up a bit and makes it more engaging.

But it needed more Sora and Kari. Way more Sora, and that is a grevious fault. Very, very grevious. But again, and I repeat, less Mimi and Joe. That's pretty damn good if you ask me.

Animation: Oh my god that last battle. That, oh boy that was my shit right there. It looked good enough to lick. It looked so damn good! And that extends to the digi- internets? Inside the computer but not in the digiworld, it had that Summer Wars vibe (A movie I haven't seen and came out way after Digimon Movie 2) and looked really good, like the colours blend together without lines. The enemy's design appealed to me as he digivolved and lasers are always cool. The animation outside was pretty sound, considering it's a kid's movie. And Kari was adorable of course, that factors in heavily. 50% minimum.

Sound: Was it this one with the Digitheme remix, all that rap and shit? Totally jived with this cat, ya dig? I liked it, liked the music that called back to the first season, liked the voices and the sound was pretty groovy overall.

Characters: Kari, TK, Matt, Izzy and Tai, with Agumon and Gobumon- Gurumon at the forefront with Mimi and Joe mostly out of the picture. The only way this could get a perfect 10 was if Sora was at the forefront too.

Overall: 8, 9, 8, 9... 8. Pattern! But really, solid stuff and if I could rate it on Kari, it'd- Oh, wait, I almost forgot, she narrated some of it! 8.5! Know what? Sound's 8.5 too! Yup, totally biased for Kari. Movie's real damn good and probably hails the end of the Digiera. And once more, that final battle. That alone gives this 11/10 but it doesn't accept 11s.

8.5/10 sound