Denpa Teki na Kanojo

Wanginator's avatar By Wanginator on Sep 21, 2010

At the time of writing this, I'm still hopeful that the last installment of the three-part OVA will come out sometime this year, though at this point I've kind of gotten tired of waiting and am beginning to direct my attention to other series on my waiting list. Even so, I have good faith that when the 3rd episode does come out, that it will be of similar, if not better quality as the first two, so as such I will go ahead and write out my thoughts on the first two episodes.

Edit: Boo, apparently it was only 2 episodes long. What a let-down. But it's still good.

To start with, in case you didn't catch it from reading the synopsis or looking at the screenshots, the mood of this series is dark. Very dark. Certainly not on the level of most Mindf*ck or Horror genres or anything like that, but the themes encountered in the first 2 installments certainly come close to that level, at least in my opinion. Needless to say, if you're looking for any sort of comedy or light-hearted action flick, this is not for you.

To the rest of you still reading? There are several things about the first two episodes that become immediately attractive. For one, the premises of both episodes are dark and unique, and they're presented in a disturbing, yet wonderfully suspenseful way. You're never really quite sure what the hell is going on, and though you may think you have a good inkling of it, you'll most likely find yourself eagerly waiting for that moment when your questions will be answered. And that moment does come in both, indeed, but usually accompanied with a twist or some climax that you were NOT expecting. I won't go into specifics, but chances are that most viewers will have at least one "Oh sh*t, I didn't expect that" moment. And yet, as disturbing as the conflicts in both episodes are, they are also both resolved in quite a fulfilling and satisfactory manner, if maybe a bit unsettling. Consequently, both episodes are capable of standing alone, which I really like in any series; I don't dislike cliffhangers, but I don't like being strung along for 3-4 episodes at a time. Perhaps all OVAs do this anyway, but this is one aspect of Denpa Teki na Kanojo that I also find attractive.

The characters presented are equally attractive (in the sense that they're likeable, not as if I'm checking them out), and are as unique as the problems they find themselves in. While neither Yuu (or Juu as the subtitles said in my version) or Ame are completely fleshed out, the anime still touches on the important points, resulting in the viewer knowing how that character is probably going to behave, but still wanting to know more about them (which is what any good character development should do, really). Side characters are kept to a minimum for the most part. And when they are thrown in, it's usually for a good reason. There's very little fluff or filler that is presented as far as characters go.

Overall, Denpa Teki na Kanojo is an excellent OVA for suspense lovers, and viewers who like series with a darker mood. The engaging plot, pacing, and character development stand out, making this an OVA certainly worth sampling.

StevenSAKUJO's avatar By StevenSAKUJO on Jul 6, 2012

Story: 7.5/10

It's hard to talk about the story without spoiling, so instead I'll just comment on it, the animeplanet synposis is pretty fine. Denpa Teki na Kanojo has two sides, the male fantasy of a compitent, interesting and pretty female servant with a side of younger sister and a dark horror story. However as in animes like Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, it managed to appeal to the two greatest and most cliche obsessions of men, in short, women and violence. This anime could also be described as a harem of sorts, the overall message here is that Denpa Teki na Kanojo was designed for adolecent males such as myself and it was designed well.

I am often able to see straight through these kind of tactics, I get offended like this anime is just for profit and i'm being manipulated. Like the people who made this have no passion for anime or story telling in general and etc. However despite seeing straight through this anime very quickly, I still enjoyed it, in the same way I enjoyed Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. That is to say that my enjoyment didn't simply come from an appreciation of it's masterful tactics to seduce men into watching it, rather I became engrossed into the story enough so that I forgot about it after a while and just watched. Whether that's because I was also seduced masterfully by their manipulation or because the anime redeems itself through capitvating story lines and impressive follow up with execution, I will leave for a girl to decide.

I would like to say more but commenting directly on the story would be hard as I would probably spoil, I can't even explain why without spoiling so I'll stop writing..

Animation: 7/10

The animation was a little strange, perhaps this is what it means for an anime to have a low budget? I'm not sure, but I got the feeling that this was the anime version of those low budget American movies, and what always suffers for that most is the technology required to make it look like the more expensive ones. However in some ways, it was less distracting. I think the animation helped to make the world more believable, there was no "girl constantly bashing up the boy" or any of those comedic cliches of anime. Higurashi is yet again something i'm going to bring up, as they did many of these cliches and I felt that while Higurashi didn't suffer from it too greatly, I prefered Denpa Teki na Kanojo's less.. surreal depiction of cuteness, violence and their characters, and this mentality was defininently shown in the animation.

Sound: X/10, 4/5

I don't remember the OST, it was probably good but I can't find it on youtube and that's as far as I am going to look. However the ED was good and had no complaints about the voice acting.

Characters: 8.5/10

An extremely difficult section to rate for me, much like the story line, the characters in this anime are very cliche in the sense that they appeal to an overused virtue. However they didn't really need to be anything more and what they were was enough. Out of all the sections, Characters is the one that I hav always rated the lowest, I think that's true of all stories that I read/watch. It's just difficult to make truly interesting and unique characters. However what made animes like Death Note and Toradora! possibly my two favorite animes is that the characters in all their complexity, stayed true to themselves. This anime, I felt, accomplished that. I think that it's shortness really helped in this, but that's not a reason to rate it down. Some anime don't know when to quit, even Death Note is somewhat guilty of that.

ToraDora! also, suffered parts which could have gone faster and etc. I felt that Denpa teki na Kanojo was very precise in it's creation, it's characters benefited from the pace. Interesting characters weren't given time to become uninteresting, characters with one or two interesting ideas in a long anime are boring and plain. Characters with one or two interesting ideas in a 2 episode anime are spectacular, I'll say it once more. None of these characters would survive the test of time, but in the time they were given, I enjoyed learning their stories and about who they were, what they felt and thought, and so on.

Overall: 8/10

I talked a lot about the construction of the anime but not the anime itself, in my reviews I often carelessly and cruelly spoil the story of the animes I disliked. In turn, I tried my best not to spoil an anime I really liked.

I think this anime cleverly quit while they were ahead, I believe more episodes of this anime would have killed it, perhaps not 2-3 more but a series of like 12-13 episodes would have gotten really old, really quickly.. perhaps their creativity would run short or.. well lots of things could have gone wrong. However as this anime stands, For more experienced viewers, this isn't unique but it is worth watching, I really enjoyed it and I can't stress enough how important it is that it's only 2 episodes, animes like School Days could learn a lot from this anime. However for less experienced viewers, this anime will probably blow your mind, have fun.

7.5/10 story
8.5/10 characters
Bjoli's avatar By Bjoli on Feb 4, 2012

Denpa Teki na Kanojo is not a bad anime, and perhaps I am being somewhat harsh with my scoring, but I cannot find it in myself to score it that much higher.  Usually, I am a fan of OVA series.  The length allows for a bit less focus on a single plot as in a movie, with a bit more focus than a longer series.  At just two episodes long, however, Denpa Teki na Kanojo struggles to play to those strengths, and suffers as a result.

The premise, that a shy otaku-ish girl is convinced that a deliquent at her school was her King in a past life isn't awful.  I've certainly heard worse.  But it's really only used as the loosest of plot devices to ensure that the characters meet up.  We don't explore their apparent past lives in any detail, and there's not enough interaction to convince the viewer that they are friends - partly due to a lack of time, but it leaves the dialogue between the two lead characters awkward and stilted.  Moreover, the protagonist shares more meaningful lines with his 'servant's' sister, making their pairing feel that much more unbalanced.

The biggest problem that the show has, though, is that each episode is apparently unrelated and features such extreme violence and mental trauma that it cannot treat its themes properly.  The extreme events that occur in each feel forced, and we aren't given enough time to know the characters who do give into the darker elements of their psyches.  The result is that when something violent or shocking does happen, it's hard to care about - especially when it doesn't directly affect the main characters, however little we care about them either!

Denpa Teki na Kanojo would have been better drawn out into a 6 episode OVA, or a 12 episode series, or condensed into one film to focus on a single plot.  Either way, there could have been more focus on the detective work that just seems to happen offscreen, and time to really watch the sanity of the antagonists unravel.  As it is, the violence and gore seem hokey and cheap, mere excuses for lack of a deeper plot.

Virdelet's avatar By Virdelet on Mar 4, 2012

• STORY :

Well, the story is very normal ,I mean nothing shocking or anything! But I like how sometimes things go deep ,like the happiness point thing, they are pretty interesting.

story isn't bad too ,it keeps you hooked along the two episodes or so.

• Animation :

The animation is good and bad at the same time ,the movment and isn't impressive ,the character face turns retarded sometimes (his eyes go all the way up)

but on the other hand ! it is all clear and gives you an HD feel ! and this sky scene is beautiful !!

soo the animation has its ups and down.

• Sound :

The sound is really great !! They have this weird Arabic instrument playing with the a classic piano whenever they are looking for something ,which is amazing !!

The sound recording,sound effects and voice acting has no problems as well.

• Characters :

The characters are pretty average and you could pick em up from your near by supermarket.

Overall : 3/5 or 6/10

this means its slightly above average. (Beware ! my standards are high XD soo 6 is good and worth watching.)

8.5/10 sound