Death Billiards

Thrawn's avatar By Thrawn on Jun 10, 2013

Death Billiards! Woo! Time for a badass game of pool! TO THE DEATH! And let me tell you, I was totally psyched to watch Death Billiards because I judged it solely on the title. Not on the studio or any flim-flammery that deals with what it's about by a synopsis or what have you, but by this badass title. Death Billiards, because regular 8-Ball just ain't enough. And what the title implies is what you get: A game of billiards to the death, but wait, there's more! It's much more than a game to the death and I got my surprise on that front. It goes deeper than that and considering the short run-time of this short movie, any spoiler would be spoiling the movie. I actually liked the depth and extra plot within it, didn't hinder my enjoyment at all. And what I enjoyed most of all was Gramps. You see that screenshot on the entry page? That old man with the look in his eyes that says "I don't take no shit from nobody. You want to fuck with me then bring it on, bitch." He's badass.

For a short, it left me wanting more. More as a series because I'm a fan of these high-stakes survival games, and it has style. Wanted more than 25 minutes and I could see myself watching a series of this. It's a real good concept and totally worth the watch, at the cost of an episode of one of your regular shows.

Bartender also reminds me of that guy from Mushishi. Wanted to say that.

Naga's avatar By Naga on Jul 28, 2013

Death Billiards is definitely one of those YATP that gets a passing grade. For such a short duration, it knew what it was set on and managed to present it really well. It is linear, but it’s good kind of linear that actually makes you think with your head. Ergo, when I finished it I wasn’t satisfied at all, but when I gave it some thought I realized that my initial opinion was very wrong. I wasn’t satisfied with it because it provided almost no answers, and when it seemed that we would get something it just brought new question. It was unfair and the ending didn’t do it justice… or so I thought. Then I realized that it was made that way on purpose. Major theme of Death Billiards is the unfairness of everything, but mostly life.  And with that in mind it makes absolute sense. Our main character, Man, knew that he couldn’t win because setting was unfair. Him not getting any answers was unfair. And even when he was told that he’s dead and that his afterlife was yet to be determined, it was unfair because he didn’t know if it was heaven or hell or some other spiritual mumbo-jumbo. He didn’t even know where he was heading. Also, his unfairness monologue and all other things I didn’t mention. And… yeah… that’s Death Billiards; short, but to the point.

Animation and music were Madhouse standard, good quality. Nothing really felt exceptional or fresh, but it did look good. Characters are well… well done for such short duration, and 2 bartenders that weren’t could be counted as average because they weren’t supposed to be explored. That’s just how the show rolls. Plot is not too big in context but is well structured and thought out, and I’m going to praise it for making me think because that’s always a good thing.

All in all; it’s one of the better YATP I’ve seen. It’s nothing extraordinary, but there’s just too much to like about this one, so I’d definitely say that watching this short is a worthy investment of your time.

Best girl: /

7.5/10 animation
4.5/10 characters
5.5/10 overall
triplestrike's avatar By triplestrike on Aug 28, 2013

Death Billiards is only one episode long, but that one episode does a pretty good job of defining itself. Two individuals find themselves in an odd situtation with odd consequnces. Ladies and Gentleman, the game is billiards.

This show looks great at every moment. Sound and music work well and overall the presentation is great. The characters are a little bit bleak but it is to be expected when characters only have one episode be explored. I think this show would work better an a one episode experience over a whole show but that is because the premise is a bit hard to work with. Overall this is short, but really good!

8.5/10 story