Deadman Wonderland

4nime4ddict's avatar By 4nime4ddict on Oct 7, 2014

This  Anime really is like no other. It has horror, gore, ecchi and even comedy. Some thing for everyone, you could say. It is most definitely one of my favourite anime for the pure reason that it is unique, brutal and not too long. It tells the story of a fourteen year old boy named Ganta who is wrongly accused of murdering his entire school class. For  crime, he is sentenced to death at the one and only Deadman Wonderland prison. This isn't any ordinary prison, it is also a tourist attraction making money from gladiator style ''games'' starring the prisoners themselves. As the series goes on, you learn more and more about the sinister background to this odd organisation.

The only ddownfall to this otherwise perfect storyline is that it is squished into a measly 12 episodes. I love short anime, but for this one I wish it had lasted longer as there was so much more the writers could have done with it. Well, overlooking that minor issue, the story is just amazing.

The animation was also great. If you watch it online, the uncensored version is most likely what you'll get, and this is the version I prefer. However, the second time I watched this I watched it on DVD and the censoring was ridiculous, so that is my only problem. Other than that, the animation is beautiful. Especially during the blood-fighting scenes!

The sound got a particularly high score because the opening theme is just.. wow. It's catchy, Moody and all-round brilliant. The voices for characters were also perfectly paired. However, the ending theme really didn't suit the style of the anime I'm afraid.

The characters are stunning. They look good, act good, they are just everything you could want in an anime. BUT we see very little character development, and a lot of characters are left without so much as a back story. It's quite disappointing, but the range of personality types make up for it!

As I said before this is one of my favourite animes and probably always be. I don't know why, I just have a deep love for it and I will always recommend it.

iiT3CK's avatar By iiT3CK on May 29, 2013

Warning - Contains Spoilers

Deadman Wonderland is badass. Simply put. It's about a kid who fights deathmatches with other murderers. The prison is an amusement park. And the back story is really deep (if you've read the manga). Best part is they use there blood as weapons. Now, I'm very crass, and very strange, I have a unique fondness for blood. I know what your thinking, that's a sure sign of a serial killer; but It aint like that I promise. And for the record I'm not a cutter either, I just like blood. Now that you think I should be in a mental ward the reason I inform you of this is because as soon as I found out this show used blood as weapons, I was immediately interested. In general though, this show is just very entertaining. It's twisted, and I like that. Personally, I feel Deadman Wonderland is pretty underrated. Even the name is catchy. This show almost reminds me of deathrace, but a lot more interesting and without cars or Jason Statham.

Animation:

The animation for this show is superb. The special effects left me an awe at times, and to be honest it's pretty rare that I praise a show for this. Furthermore the character designs a re solid and all in all it's very easy to watch.

Sound:

The soundtrack for Deadman is absolutly stellar. The opening theme song is called "One Reason" by Fade. I suggest you download that immediately Because it's an incredible track. Also I really like when shows incorporate music into the plotline; in this case it's the song the redman sings. Excellent job overall, even the dubs are pretty solid.

The characters is probably the weakest part of the show, but they're still good. Shiro is an interesting character. Our protagonist is kinda a whiney bitch, but at least it's realistic to a point. The characters are buyable for the most part, which is always good. Personally, Crow is my favorite but only because he's a legitament badass. Also for all of you FMA fans, The prison warden reminds me a lot of Major Armstrong (I think it's major?). Anyways solid cast, just wish we could have got some more answers. Interestingly the only character that has any development really is the main character, but they go about this in an interesting way because it's mostly just about him adjusting to the other characters who have clearly already adjusted.

Overall:

Can we please get a season 2? seriously. That's what I have to say about the overall. So open ended. Shows like this make me hate my life; it's so good and was ended so prematurally. If you have yet to watch Deadman, I strongly recommend it.

~Phan†om

9.5/10 animation
9.5/10 sound
7.5/10 characters
8.8/10 overall
sillydomino's avatar By sillydomino on Apr 13, 2014

Story: This story is silly and gory. It's silly because of the theme park aspect; gory becuase of the prison. I understand why both sides are really necessary. When we just see gore all the time, we become desensitized to it. What happened in G-Block and the prison part of Deadman Wonderland is awful and sick and the contrast of the happy-go-lucky theme park sitting on top of that hell-hole (can I cuss in reviews? I'm going for it) is shocking. I feel like there are so many plot twists I shouldn't say anything else.

Characters: Good guy? Bad guy? Sinner? Saint? Not  everyone is what they seem. The first Deadman to try and kill Ganta - not counting Red Man- is the one who teaches him to defend himself. The character that evokes the most pity turns out to be guilty. The character who the rest count on to save them is the one who wants to condem them. The character who is the kindest is the one who hurts the most. There are hardly any *true* characters at all.

Animation: On par with all the anime I've seen so far. Not as amazing as Free! or FMA: CoS art, but is good enough to not take away from the story. I would compare it to Soul Eater art.

Sound: This got the lowest score. Toward the end there is a character who plays music. The music seems to scrape down my ear drums it is so loud and so badly played - which is right for this character but stilllllllllllllllllll.. The voices are amazing. Sometimes I had trouble understanding what Shiro was saying, but Ganta was incredible. His VA nailed every single line with so much emotion and power. Just wow. Some people complain his voice sounds like a little kid... he is a little kid. That is the point. He sounds like a little frightened kid who has just had his entire world ripped to pieces in front of him, and that's right.

Overall: I AM OBSESSED.

jypsyjulia's avatar By jypsyjulia on Jul 2, 2011

**This review contains spoilers.

The STORY was just shy of receiving a perfect 10 because of how rushed it felt at certain times to me.  It felt like it had so much to tell but was being condensed into a very quick-paced anime.  Honestly, this doesn't bother me all that much, but it does take away from a 10 score.  I thought that the entire Deadman Wonderland playground was sadistic and presented so well.  Shiro being The Red Man was a bit of a cliche, however I have every hope that this anime will be able to convey it spectacularly in a (hopefully) season two.

For me, the ANIMATION was awesome!  I loved Shiro's character designs the most.  Her body suit was so interesting.  I also loved Karako's character design and the entire set up of Deadman Wonderland.  It was a bit cartoon-y, which I usually don't like, however that didn't stop me from appreciating some of the awesome visual effects - such as when all the Deadman used their blood powers (especially Crow's and Karako's).

The SOUND... wow, I was literally blown away.  If there was a score of 100, this would be it.  I loved the OP like I haven't loved an OP since Eva (so many memories).  And I always thought the creepy music they played during the scene's was so perfect for the entire feel of the series.  Of course, I always seem to love characters voiced by Romi Pak because she is just such a talented seiyuu - but all of the seiyuu's did a fantastic job.  There is nothing I could possibly critique in the sound department.

There were some CHARACTERS I really loved, like Crow, Karako and The Wretched Egg; and there were some I could have done without, like Ganta and Yoh.  Unfortunately, Ganta is the main character.  Although I did think that he went through some character development (like enhancing his Ganta Gun), I still felt like he was the same boy who had first entered Deadman Wonderland - scared, confused and hell bent on revenge.  Maybe I'm not giving him enough credit because he was a bit different, however maybe that's all they could fit into a 12 episode scale.  Yoh just made me mad - and discovering he was doing it for his sister felt like a cop-out to me.  I just felt his whole character was unnecessary and then he disappears throughout most of the series.  It felt off.  Also, I had some pretty mixed feelings about Nagi.  In my opinion, he was one of the most interesting and complex characters, but at the same time, his angst seemed disproportionate.  Sometimes he was overcome with sorrow (like when he went insane, for example), and other times he had this calm facade.  I understand the concept of hiding your pain, but he did it too well.

My PERSONAL ENJOYMENT for this series is a 1000000.  This was honestly my favorite series of the Spring 2011 line up and I'm very sad to see it go, however I am keeping my fingers crossed for a season two.

OVERALL, I would recommend this anime to absolutely everyone.  I haven't met anyone who didn't like this anime yet (although I'm sure there are people who don't) and I have full faith that if you give it a chance, you will like it too.

Doomoo's avatar By Doomoo on Jul 15, 2012

Ending Song:                           10.0

Voice Acting:                           10.0

Sound Effects:                         10.0

Overall Characters: 8

Sadly the characters can be dumb as all hell at times which brings Overall Characters score down from a 10 to an eight. And yes, they really are that f**king stupid at a certain point in the anime. And the lead character is fairly stupid about several things during the whole show. However apart from this the overall character score would be an easy 10.

Story: 10

No comment on story except that it is exceptional but unless a second season is released you will need to go and read the manga if you want the complete story which sadly bumps the story's score from a 10 to an 8. But since it is still unclear whether there will be a second season I will leave it as a 10. But if two years from now there is still no season two the story's score should be concidered an 8.

Comparisons

If you are still unsure of whether you'd like this anime or not here is a list of anime. If you enjoyed at even just one anime on this list odds are very high you will love Deadman Wonderland.

• Elfen Lied
  • GANTZ
  • Eureka Seven

__________________________________

Comments

This is an excellent anime that is both well written and wonderfully exicuted. However there are a few times in the anime that will leave you wondering if the characters are blind deaf and retarded. Which is the only flaw signifigant enough to bring the score from a 10 to a 9.5. Luckly this anime more than makes up for it's character's occational obliviousness with an amazing story, great animation, great music and wonderful voice acting.

9.5/10 animation