Darker Than Black: Beneath the Fully Bloomed Cherry Blossoms

lelouchllover's avatar By lelouchllover on May 13, 2011

This OVA acts as a comical side story. Its acts as an interlude to just simply relax and watch the darker than black characters.

As it was simply just one episode, there was not a developped story. The comic relief was well made and I passed a good time watching it. I particularly liked the otaku room and characters ( is it me or the anime that the two girls crave on looks like Host club?!)

And the heck? Stalking the beautiful collarbone guy? That was funny !

The characters, the music and opening were the same than the ones used in the series.

If you enjoyed the Darker than Black series, I recommend checking this one out too. It respect the vibe of the series and add a nice touch of humor. I liked it very much.

Score: 4/5. The same as the series.

Next! I My Me strawberry eggs

FullmetalCowboy24's avatar By FullmetalCowboy24 on Jun 17, 2012

Critic's Log - Earthdate: June 17, 2012. Supplemental for Review #9: Darker Than BLACK OVA: Beneath Cherry Blossoms in Full Bloom.

I got no poetic dialogue for the intro here. Let's jump right into the Darker than BLACK OVA!

Mayu Otsuka works at the Fourth Foreign Affairs Department in the Japanese National Police Agency as a liaison officer with the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan. She wrote a story about a Masked Man that supposedly seemed to be a dream but she isn't sure. Hei and his team got themselves a new task and are looking for a numeric password attached to a sample.

To be technical, this is an OVA of Darker Than Black and does not take place after Episode 25. It is a side story of Darker Than Black that could take place somewhere in the show.

There isn't much story in this OVA, and it has nothing to add to Darker Than BLACK.

The animation is fine like the show, The Cherry blossom petals are drawn in nicely.

The voice acting for both the subbed and dubbed version are both good, if you already read my review of this show, I have already said enough of it.

I already said enough of the music by Yoko Kanno, she has done better musical scores.

The characters are also the usual and I already said enough about them as well.

I guess the real question is... Is this OVA worth seeing? Yes and No. I say yes if you already enjoyed watching the show before, and I say no because it does not add anything to Darker Than BLACK. This OVA is obviously made for the people that liked the show.

With that said, there isn't much to say about Darker Than BLACK: Beneath Cherry Blossoms in Full Bloom, it is a welcome addition to Darker Than BLACK. You might like, you might not like it. Consider this OVA optional unless you are a completist.

I give the OVA for Darker Than BLACK the same rating as I gave for the TV show, a 7 out of 10, it is GOOD!

Feel free to comment below, and until then... Howl in the shadow.