Daily Lives of High School Boys

Alt title: Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou

Add review
Xeltair's avatar
Nov 30, 2014

Possibly the funniest anime I've ever seen. Maybe it was how natural it seemed or just how similar some of the rediculous scenarios that were on the show were to the real experiences I've had in high school, maybe a mixture of both. Either way its unique comedic style made it a very enjoyable anime to watch and its ending was beautifully done.

NotaMagicalGirl's avatar
May 6, 2015

"The Daily Lives of High School Boys" is pure comedy in the most ridiculous and random sense you can imagine, every day is a new adventure for Tadakuni, Hidenori and Yoshitake filled with stupid conversations, strange happenings and childish antics.

Each character has their own little quirks but the main point of this show is the situations the characters are put in, the choices they make and the conversations they have. For example: In one scene, a hornet lands on Hidenori's lips, causing him to slowly go over to Yoshitake and squash the hornet by smashing his lips against Yoshitake's. Another example would be the time they saw a stick on the path and played RPG on the way to school, and Tadakuni getting annoyed and confused as they take it further and further.

If this sort of thing doesn't interest you, then this anime probably isn't for you. It is neither deep, dark or serious in the slightest, taking pride in being the embodiment of random, ridiculous and immature comedy. This series is, in my opinion, very funny, and will probably make you laugh a lot if you like this kind of humour.

Despite being funny, light and easy to watch this anime would not be appropriate for young children as it contains swearing and some sexual jokes, but it doesn't seem to revolve around those things.

The anime consists of episodes with several sections, each being a separate funny little story, making this anime easy to watch if you don't have much time on your hands. Despite this, it does not feel rushed or weird to have the sections of episodes like that, it fits reasonably well.

The animation is good, but I cannot evaluate it as I have not paid much attention to the quality, rather being consumed by the comedy and story of the show, although this show has a very nice unique style.

As for story, it sort of has one, but sort of doesn't. It is more of a slice of life and is primarily centred on school life and the student characters in high school, as well as each section being a seperate little story. So, if you go into this expecting a real story, you won't be that happy, but if you are already a fan of slice of life comedies then you should enjoy this.

Overall I give this series a 10/10 because of it's great characters, overly funny stories and situations, being addictive to watch, and being a lovely example of its genre, albeit a little more extreme than others of its genre.

Watch it, you never know, you could love it, you could hate it, but it's a brilliant comedy anime nonetheless.

wasssabi's avatar
Oct 23, 2014

I watched a lot of comedy anime, but I have never laughed at one as much as I did when watching this. My stomach hurt from laughing so much, literally. I think people around me thought I was on something! Seriously, if you want to laugh, this is a must watch.

BigDumbOhFace's avatar
Sep 22, 2014

I came across this while being bored and having not many nice anime's too watch.  So I hit YouTube to look for some and came across a "Top 10 Comedy Anime" video.  While this show wasn't on the list, I saw a comment that mentioned it.  The replies and were nothing but high praise for the show and that was enough for me to give it a try.

Stoy:

If you're looking for high drama, love triangles, and a serious plot then you're at the wrong place.  Seinfeld is called, "The show about nothing."  That's basically what this is.  It's a sketch comedy and pretty much diary entries.  There is no plot, just whacky times.  At first I got kind of annoyed but I accepted this format and loved it.  With no story, it makes me feel like I can actually rewatch it and not be spoiled.  Huge bonus.

Nothing special but nothing bad.  Everything is really smooth.  Colors look great as well.  If anything, that's what you kind of expect with something so ordinary with a title of "Daily Lives of High School Boys".  One major annoyance is that not every character has a face.  It's really annoying having someone talk and not see their face.  Although I love this show, this is one sin that cannot be forgiven.  I mean even many recurring characters don't have faces.  Sure it's okay for just simple one off characters.  However, it's mostly characters that show up a handful of times.  I mean at least have some basic models.  Really lazy, IMO.

Voice actors were great.  The range they have is amazing.  They can go from deep and serious tones to something light and humerous.  The opening and ending songs are great to listen to.  Both songs are a fun contrast.  The opening is fast-paced and dramatic while the ending is silly.  The opening's dramatic feel sets you in the mood for something just as dramatic only for you to find out the show is just Daily Life stuff.  The ending is light-hearted, silly, and funny which is what the show does feel like.

They're all amazing and by far the best thing about the show.  Everyone brings in their own sense of humor to the show.  Not much to talk about in terms of development because there is none.  There's no need or reason for them to improve.  It's totally fine by me given that it's a sketch comedy.  However, they really grew on me.

Overall

One of the best animes I've ever watch.  Despite no plot and decent animations, there's something that makes me loves this show.  Great characters can really make or break a show.  It makes me wish that I could redo high school and go with guys like them.  The best way to describe the comedy is awkward comedy, which I think is the funniest, and slapstick.  Slapstick tends to be cheap humor but is done in appropriate levels here.  If you want something really hilarious then this should be at the top of your list.  Although it's called "Daily Lives" it's nothing close to ordinary.

RoyalOtaku's avatar
Feb 22, 2013

Daily Lives of High School Boys is one of the most hilarious anime that I have watched in my anime watching life time. This anime is about the daily live of high school boys that do the most random of things that will kill you with laughter so make sure you are not eating or drinking anything while you watching this. The jokes in this anime never get old, boring and repetitive.

The animation of this anime brings out the humour of the funny moments especially the facial expressions but there is one major problem thats disturbing it is the fact that the main characters siblings do not have any eyes and it takes time to get used to that.

The sound is something that also helps with the humour and some of these even got stuck in my head. The opening song isn't anything special but the ending is something that I loved and something I just had to download.

The characters have their own unique personalities, for example you have the over thinker, the idiot etc.

This anime has no story to it .So If you looking for plot you are going to have to look further as it only focuses on humour.

Overall this anime is something addictive that you cry when you realise you have no more episodes to watch that you end up rewatching the series