Crayon Shin-chan

Alt titles: Shin chan

partysmores's avatar By partysmores on Oct 14, 2011

Now, when you're watching anime, what's the last thing you're going to think of? If you guessed Family Guy, you're right (at least that's the last thing I always think of). But that's all you'll be comparing this show to and thinking about with this waste of potential.

I was rather disappointed in Adult Swim when they picked this up. I thought they wanted Soul Eater, not some show starring a loud kid and his bottom.

Not recommended, not for kids either. Looking for a good family-friendly comedy? Sgt. Frog is calling your name.

mustardbomb's avatar By mustardbomb on Sep 21, 2012

Oh man, this is comedy done right! The writing in this show is just astounding, and every anime needs to take a page out of it's book.

So we begin our look at the show with its core, the characters. All are so unique, and the clashing personalities make for such fun times around the Shin Chan household.

First, we have Shin Chan himself, lovable little bastard. He's like Stewie Griffin if gay jokes ever became unfunny. (Read: 1987) That is, he's smart, cynical, and way funnier than a kid should ever be.

Then we have the parents, who, in a turn from classic television tropes, are both idiots. (As opposed to the smart mom/dumb dad convention) This, and their proneness for angry out-bursts, result in a large amount of entertainment and/or hilarity!

The baby is just a baby. Cute, but nothing really going on there.

Moving on.

The animation, as always, is pretty bad. But who cares? No action is happening here, but that's ok, it's all in the (Smart and smarmy!) writing. This is a forgivable flaw.

The voice acting is great in some places, bland in others. The role of Shin Chan himself is nailed, he's a smug bastard, and we get that just from the tone of his voice. Who doesn't want to punch this kid?

Everyone else in the show, though, just comes off as blah. Not bad, but nothing significant.

The plots of the episodes are self-contained. It is in fact presented like a children's television (Though it's anything but!), in that there are two 15 minute blocs comprising the half hour. There are plots here, they are just short.

The show is ultra-enjoyable, turn it on, hop in and out, and just laugh. It's not something you need to watch every episode of, or catch in sequence, take it lightly, and enjoy yourself.

When it aired it was the best show on Adult Swim, and I feel that channel was the best outlet for the show. Quirky and outrageous, couldn't find a better home.

FullmetalCowboy24's avatar By FullmetalCowboy24 on Sep 6, 2012

Critic's Log - Earthdate: September 6, 2012. Review #19: Shin Chan

What do Hemorrhoids and Shin Chan have in common? THEY ARE A PAIN IN THE ASS!  ANNNND! That's it... Here is Shin Chan!

Shinnosuke Nohara is a little boy who seems to do everything he can to annoy his parents and teachers (and succeeds wildly), but only means the best, he just tries to have fun and in doing so does things which will create the maximum irritation in others.

That is the basic plot summary of Shin Chan. Do I need to say anymore of it?

To Be Technical, this is a Shin'ei Doga production (the studio that has produced the 1979 Doraemon series and Hare+Guu). This studio at least deserves a pass for being criticized extremely because this was a 90's anime and the art style stays mostly true to the manga that it was originally based off. It may look a little weird and it may as well been intentionally made to look bad.

The Music by Toshiyuki Arakawa isn't memorable by any means so let's move on...

If there's any features that I think Shin Chan really stands out is its humor, some of the humor is actually quite damn funny but this anime will definitely not be everyone's cup of tea, because I have heard the word "Retard" somewhere in the series and I sort of don't let that slide easily, because believe it or not... I happen to be Autistic. Besides the "R" word being used, I was able to channel that out and accept the rest of the humor which is kinda funny. This anime does have a lot of toilet humor and I pretty much accepted the humor and took it like a man, because in order to be a man, I must have honor and a penis. DAMN IT SHIN-CHAN, WHY DID I HAVE TO QUOTE THAT!?

I will admit, Shin is intentionally annoying in this series. I feel sorry for the other characters in the series. Ai is another somewhat annoying brat but she's ok. The other characters were ok I guess.

If there is any big technical problems that I do have with this show, it has everything to do with Funimation's treatment with this series. Wanna know what problems I plan on addressing? I'll tell you. First of all, if you are a purist when it comes to anime, Be prepared for disappointment, The US release of Shin Chan does not have a Subbed Version. Secondly, Funimation only released 78 episodes and released these episodes out of order and make the dub consistent with what episodes they licensed, after 78 episodes they decided not to license anymore episodes because of the show's length. At the time I am posting this review, This show has over 700 episodes. I guess Funimation's release is reasonable by ending it early before it gets old. Last but not least is its faithfulness in the original japanese script, it is mostly different than its original release. Funimation decided to add adult-oriented dialogue which the original japanese dialogue surprisingly did not have. This anime is a bit Americanized, but it does retain most of the characters' original names. If you're hoping to watch Shin Chan in its purest form, well you're out of luck here.

If you're one of the people that doesn't mind the American adaptation all that much well, to be fair... The Dub is not bad at all. In fact, Hearing Laura Bailey as Shin is a real mindfrag, Chuck Huber as Hiro is nice to hear, Colleen Clickenbeard voices the Baby (had no idea either). So with that said, I was surprised that a couple of voice talents played something completely different, for example... Laura Bailey sounding like a boy and Colleen Clickenbeard sounding like a baby. And to be fair, Laura Bailey did capture the American interpretation of Shin extremely well because if you can find a clip of Shin's japanese voice, it nearly almost has the same tone, I might was well give kudos for Laura Bailey on Shin Chan. Kudos to Zach Bolton as the ADR Director on that.

If you simply don't care about either version, then just enjoy it for what it is and that's all I can say for encouragement. I am going to be perfectly honest, I dropped the series because of the fact that I got bored with this anime really quickly and I was kind of disappointed with how unfaithful the American version really is.

Shin Chan is available from Funimation in the US, and was also available by Vitello Productions and Phuuz Production (don't know where the hell those guys came from), and the manga by the late Yoshito Usui was available by ComicsOne but went out of print until it got rescued by CMX manga which also eventually went out of print and got rescued a SECOND TIME by One Peace Books. A new manga series of Shin Chan that is called "New Crayon Shin-Chan" has not made it to the US yet.

With that said, Shin Chan is really kind of a mixed opinion type of anime, some people might like this anime, some won't. I will admit, I find this show quite funny to some degree and I did find parts of this show boring. I gave this show a try and I just couldn't sit through it as it progressed.

I give Shin Chan a 5.5 out of 10, It is SO and SO!

Feel free to leave to comment, now if you'll excuse me... I am gonna do the Thinker pose in the john and I'll meditate on as to why I tried this anime...

That's - A - Wraaaaap!