Clannad

Sheex's avatar By on Jun 6, 2008

Since my first experience with Air some three years ago, I've found myself continually impressed with Kyoto Animation's visual novel adaptations.  Though their works all retain the basic harem elements of their source material by means of large female casts, the studio has proved, yet again, that a great anime does not need to be guided by them.  At its core Clannad is only superficially a harem, as its touching romance, solid drama, and clean humor all distance it from the genre norm.

In many ways, Clannad follows a structure very similar to Kanon (2006), so fans of the its predecessor (myself included) will likely feel right at home in its first episodes.  Indeed, Fuko's arc bears an enormous number of similarities to Makoto's arc, down to even episode count, and the only real difference comes with its tradeoff of a bit of drama for more humor.  This certainly is no detriment, as both arcs prove quite enjoyable, but it inaccurately portrays Clannad as a mere rehashing of the same plot with different characters.  As soon as Fuko's arc closes, the series spins off in a different overall direction, emphasizing the romantic developments between Okazaki and Nagisa instead of drawing out different dramatic arcs with different girls.  It still touches upon many of the girls' in a minor context, but ultimately it uses them to direct the central romance as the series' staple point.  This methodology works a bit better in my opinion, as it allows for stronger bonding between the main characters while still incorporating all the girls and the full side cast to great effect.

In this manner, Clannad establishes itself as a worthy successor in Kyoto Animation's line of work, and certainly avoids merely dwelling in Kanon (2006)'s shadow.  Its narrower focus along with its heavier romantic undertones give it its own unique flare, which makes it satisfying in its own right.  The series balances its charming and dramatic airs in a way that, overall, gives it a more lighthearted appeal than its predecessor; combined with a general lack of magical surrealism, I think this works wonders if harmonizing all its different elements to work well together.  Being that it also incorporates a solid and satisfying ending, I can't find any major flukes with its pacing - it sets out to be a fun series with a tinge of drama on the side, and it certainly succeeds.

Of all the sections in this review, this is probably the hardest to write about.  Kyoto Animation continues to lead the industry with its gorgeous visuals, and their work has very notably inspired an upward trend in overall quality.  Character designs are splendid and vividly detailed as usual which, combined with exquisite backgrounds and scenery, make for some of the best animation short of Miyazaki.  Though it lacks a bit of realism by sticking true to the visual novel designs, by no means is this really a fault, as everything looks amazing regardless.  Simply put, for those familiar with any of the studio's previous works, expect a continuation of the trend that doesn't disappoint.

If there's one thing that impresses me as much as Kyoto Animation's consistent visual brilliance, it would have to be their ability to compliment it with perfect musical and audio scores.  Clannad's basketball match in its latter half is exemplary proof, as it leaves no stone unturned; it's lavish with detail, covering everything from the dribbling of the ball to Sunohara yelling "nice shot!" in the background.  In addition, the voice actors capture the emotion and enthusiasm of the characters with great finesse, which plays perfectly with the energetic background music.

And, in essence, this same level of intrigue and mastery is present throughout.  On its own the Clannad soundtrack showcases a large number of, simply put, beautiful tracks, so this certainly provides for one of the series' greatest merits.  All in all Clannad is an audible treat, and given the top-notch voice acting, it's nothing short of impressive.

Personally, I'd say Clannad's cast is the best yet of the Kyoto Animation lineups.  Though it may just be a result of me liking this particular group more than the others, I think the high level of interplay and symbiosis the characters share with one another supports this claim.  Okazaki and Nagisa's budding romance is easily one of my favorites in quite some time, as its simple charm and innocence makes for a most endearing watch.  This stems largely from its brilliant pacing, as it builds up slowly but resolutely, keeping true to the their individual, and generally romantically reserved, personalities.  As a result, the end of the series proves enormously heartwarming, and even now it still surfaces a smile or two every time it comes to mind.

Yet, as engaging as the Okazaki-Nagisa romance is, it definitely doesn't stand alone in terms of quality.  Sunohara, Okazaki's close friend, is probably one of the best male sidekicks in the genre, as I found myself chuckling with just about all of his appearances throughout.  His amusing antics never get old, and serve as a great tool in constantly keeping the series fresh and entertaining.  Furthermore, Nagisa's parents also fill a similar role, and are especially likeable given the tactful balance of their comedic and dramatic roles in Clannad's latter half.

As I mentioned briefly before, where Clannad does stray substantially from the harem norms, though, is with its lack of a large assortment of arcs devoted to specific girls.  In essence, it has only two major arcs (three if Kotomi's is included, but it's very brief), and instead incorporates most of the girls as subplots in Nagisa's arc.  Though this somewhat limits their individual growth, none of the girls seem shunned or undeveloped at the end, so I think it was a wise decision for the writers to make.

Overall

It took me about half a day to decide, but ultimately I think Clannad deserves an 8.0 and not the 7.5 I originally intended for it.  Nagisa's arc is undeniably great, and while I don't consider Fuko's arc to quite break that threshold, it comes close enough for me to merit the bump up; I know many people who thought it to be the superior arc, actually.  Regardless, Clannad's masterful mixing of drama, comedy, and romance make it a most charming watch if I've ever seen one, and I have no reservations in giving it a strong recommendation to fans of any of those three genres.

FalseDawn's avatar By on Apr 2, 2008

The success of Kyoto Animation and Key's last collaboration, Kanon (2006), has brought about the fourth adaptation of a Key game: Clannad. Being the fourth Key game to be adapted (and KyoAni's third) means the pressure is on for this to scale the heights reached by Air and Kanon before it.

So, does it achieve this? The difficulty I had with Clannad is that the series found it hard to step out of the shadows of its predecessor Kanon (2006). The first few episodes almost felt like a continuation, to the point where Okazaki's scenes with Nagisa reminded me largely of Yuuichi and Shiori, but luckily, complex character motivations and some good character progression managed to drag me out of this perception. Nagisa's ambition of performing a play at the school festival becomes central to the plot, and it's actually the character development in these situations that become the focal point of the series.

What surprised me most when I reached the end of the series, though, is the noticeable lack of magical realism, which is generally present in most Key titles. While Kanon relies on it heavily, Clannad plays out much more like a high school drama, and in this area, it excels. It flirts with harem clichés but never crosses the line into being stagnant, and the comedy helps the series along nicely. The dramatic scenes are very touching at times, and the episode where the play is finally performed is one of those classic episodes that makes you hold your breath all the way through (though I found the resolution a little over-the-top).

My major problem, however, is with the ending. While the preview at the end of the series promises an "after-story" (an excuse for a second season), there are a lot of plot points that just aren't addressed. Several characters are left largely unresolved and the dreamlike sequence involving the girl alone in a world that has ended never appears to have a motive, remaining an enigma, even when the series ends. The series itself also seems a bit scattered - the Fuuko storyline is a strong one, but after it finishes, the series seems to lose its purposeful drive (which isn't a bad thing, merely somewhat offputting).

What can I say about KyoAni animation that hasn't already been said a million times? While not having as many awe-inspiring landscapes as Air (the school setting is a rather limited one), Clannad still manages to impress with memorable character designs as well as rich colour tones, especially in Kotomi's arc, which deals with a number of night-time scenes. KyoAni is still, in my opinion, the most consistent art studio working at the moment. Fortunately, they never appear to suffer from the budget problems that plague other studios' series.

One word: Dango. This recurring theme is impressively interwoven by KyoAni, with the subtle idea of having the Dango song that Nagisa loves so much as the ending theme -- meaning that the viewer is already aware of it before it becomes an important character motivation.

The seiyuus are of top quality too. Each emotion is expressed with accuracy and conviction, and in particular, Nagisa's seiyuu stays away from the "annoying" label that plagues previous Key heroines. The seiyuu for the other characters are also memorable, in particular Fuuko and Sunohara.

The only thing that lets Clannad's sound rating down, is the opening theme, which is frankly uninspiring and in an unnatural-sounding key, with the singer not having a strong enough voice to make the song work.

As with any Key adaptation, Clannad has a huge supporting cast. Each character that has a plot devoted to them seems to spawn several other characters (an example would be Fuuko's storyline where we meet a classmate of hers, her sister and her sister's fiancé), and it's actually a good thing that only a couple of characters have their own arcs, otherwise we'd be looking at a mind-boggling amount of characters.

As it is, the number of characters is just bearable, with some receiving a lot more screentime than others. Nagisa is my particular favourite (which is rare for a central heroine in a Key adaptation) as she seems the most rounded figure -- though, I found it slightly odd that her weak disposition isn't mentioned after the first few episodes when it seemed like a major plot point (after all, she's repeating a year because of it).

Other memorable characters are Fuuko who is much too cute to be true, Nagisa's parents, and Sunohara who provides most of the comedy in the series and is one of the best KyoAni characters since Kyon in The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi. Unfortunately, Okazaki falls into being a Yuuichi-clone at times (from Kanon), while some characters are never fulfilled, like Tomoyo and Kyo.

This leads to a haphazard amount of character development. The development between Nagisa and Okazaki is fantastic, drama-inducing stuff, and one of the best budding romance situations I've seen in anime, but beyond that, the other characters can be hit-and-miss. I personally liked how, after Kotomi's arc, the supporting cast became more focussed on one goal, rather than slipping into the background as usually happens in Key series. Even Fuuko reappears in cameo appearances after her arc has finished, which adds an extra element of comedy.

However, as I've said, some characters aren't developed at all, and seem to be removed from the plot to a large extent, leading to fans of particular girls becoming very frustrated with the direction of the series. Unfortunately, this is exaggerated by fewer arcs in Clannad; which means that, while in other Key adaptations, each character is largely focussed on to the same extent because they have their own arcs -- in Clannad, characters become overlooked and the equivalent of background noise.

Overall

Clannad is definitely a worthwhile addition to the KyoAni-Key canon and even though it has a relatively unsatisfying ending, with a number of points left completely unexplained, it's an enjoyable series to watch through. I recommend it for any fans of KyoAni's previous works, and anyone who wants to see how a high school anime should be done (Screw School Days and it's overhyped violence nonsense). Both dramatic and comedic at the same time, Clannad's step away from the magical scenery of its predecessors is a welcome one that will probably gain it more fans.

Gzerble's avatar By on Feb 28, 2015

Clannad is a cheap bunch of simple tricks in order to emotionally manipulate the viewer. It doesn't try for a second to be subtle about... wait a minute... *sob* it's just... the onions I'm cutting... *sob*. OK damn it, it frickin' works, all right?! I admit it. I said it. Yes, I know what it is doing and it still manages to do it all the same.

This is a touching anime that would move the heart of a skeleton. Clannad does it without resorting to character deaths, kisses, or betrayals. It does it with clean, simple, elegant drama. It is character driven, and the characters hold everything on their shoulders with ease and comedic lack of grace. Oh yeah, what really makes the show stand out is the humor.

I may have stated at times that I dislike school life / harem combinations. And by dislike, I mean deep rooted loathing with an extra serving of spite. And yet, the is a careful dance between humor and drama as the tone evolves throughout the series is just impressive. This is masterfully executed, giving extra emotional punch to Clannad where other shows fall flat. The visual themes and gags are just a bonus. There are multiple arcs for multiple characters, and perhaps the second one is the weakest of the bunch, but it still fits well with the tone of the series.

Sometimes there is just a need to gush a bit. Clannad is one of the strongest shows that dares to attempt depth in a school life / harem / romance combination. The drama is strong, if at times simplistic and building on cliche backstories. The forcefully angsty tales of some of the characters aren't that annoying, and the way those backstories shaped their personalities isn't understated nor overstated. While the show doesn't break new grounds, it executes what it tries extremely well.

Writing (Story and Characters):

Some people have stated to me that Clannad is perhaps the single most overrated show of all times. I beg to differ. The choice of topics may not be everyone's cup of tea, and it isn't mine either. But from a strict writing perspective, the technical level is well above the norm for anime. The juggling of light hearted and serious tones, evolving from sharp contrasts to the themes melding together is done with subtle maturity one wouldn't expect to something with "harem" as a descriptor.

While the story is built upon cliches of character driven anime (from teens with angsty backstories, all the girls love the male protagonist who happens to be just a normal guy, et cetera), it is structured carefully and manages a superb balance. At no point does the bounce between depth and sillyness seem forced, and the characters manage to hold it up very well. Most stories focused on teens fall into one of two categories: where the teens are loathesome caricatures of adults, or where anyone can identify with them. While most are the former, Clannad is definitely the latter.

This brings us to the cast. First, extra points for making the bumbing sidekicks (male, girl from the first arc) not annoying but actually charming and fun. The cast manages to be well balanced, each character gets at least some depth through diverse means: interaction, exposition, development, or backstory. And more than that, not one of the characters made me hate them. Also, any combination of any two characters has the potential for both humor and drama, which is a sign of extremely well crafted character writing.

A character driven story is measured by how much the viewer feels for the characters at the end. As such, it is a resounding success... which is nearly unheard of in a semi-harem story. Also, extra credit for the protagonist not being a tsundere's whipping dog but actually having a spine. There are some lines which are extremely touching and it is hard for me not to quote some of the subtly tragic ones. Clannad's The writing manages to be stronger than the sum of its parts, and that is a rare thing indeed.

Art (Animation and Sound):

Whereas most character driven shows with the school life / harem discriptors to them have animation that is barely workable or average. Clannad is obviously outside the mold. The artwork makes the inept sidekicks both adorable and hilarious, and brings loads of life to the writing. There are minor technical issues, but overall the artwork manages to be excellent.

The animation is wonderful. There are very few issues, and the visual themes and gags (stars for spacing out, street fighter animation for kicks combo/count, etc) are downright brilliantly used. There are moments where the dialogue is used an excuse for keeping a scene static, but it isn't usually a noticeable problem. More than making up for these issues are the snappy character designs, bright and clean palette, and intelligent backgrounds - all which match up to the writing style. Overall the animation is not just excellent, it is in the top tier.

I'll get this out of the way fast: Dango Daikozoku is the best ending theme in anime history. The rest of the soundtrack is good and is used aggressively enough to set the mood rather than just get pushed into obscurity. The sound effects are cleverly used to add just the right amount of punch to the visual gags, and there is even some clever use of stereo positioning to add a lot. The voice acting is nearly without issue, which is a rarity for such a great cast... but is not flawless as some of the characters lack a very distinct voice. Still, with all issues, the audio is great and does a good job at bringing the animation and writing together.

Not only a foil to the writing, the artwork in Clannad actually adds to it. There is a distinct feel to the world, which is so desperately needed considering the dominance of school settings and teens. Elevating the humor from "funny" to "hilarious", giving each character their own personality through things other than script, the art pushes the show from "good" to "excellent". Nothing more could be asked.

Overall:

Recommended to anyone and everyone who wants some character driven drama with a dose of humor. Don't expect it to get too dark, expect a load of fluff, and you'll have a memorable show ahead of you. Oh, and Dango, Dango, Dango, Dango, Dango diakozoku.

9.3/10 animation
8.5/10 sound
babyyouloveit's avatar By on Jun 5, 2012

Story: This was probably the most boring anime I have ever seen ever. I couldn't get past 5 episodes of it when I tried to rewatch it, so I went on Wikipedia to see what happens and nothing happens in this entire anime. It's all dramatic, yet nothing worth being dramatic about happens. The attempts at humor throughout the anime aren't funny at all, either.

Animation: I don't really know a lot about animation but everyone's eyes were so huge and so far apart on their face made them look alien.

Sound: The opening song sucks, but everyone loves "Dango Daikazoku".

Characters: None of the characters are likeable or even distinguishable. The main character is annoying, his male best friend is even more annoying, and all of the girl characters are horrendous. Nagisa adds nothing to the series and she manages to make every problem in the story about her. And the "strong" female characters are boring.

Overall, a really terrible and boring anime. Only worth watching for "Dango Daizoku".

CrazyBeverly96's avatar By on Mar 14, 2015

I’ve watched Clannad twice. I examined it very thoroughly. And even then, I still do not understand what is so appealing about this anime. Well, it surpassed my expectations a little bit… I had gone in thinking it was going to be just like Air TV… but no… thankfully it didn’t stoop to those levels. It didn’t make me want to bang my head in rage repeatedly. Nevertheless, it left me with plenty of irritation and a headache.

Story: 4.5/10

Clannad is a romance anime, and as it was based off a visual novel, they wanted to make this a harem romance story. Let me just say that I think it would be extremely difficult to adapt a visual novel into an anime and still keep some kind of suspension and mystery in it because the main character’s choices are completely up to the player. Therefore, the writers need to find a way to give the protagonist a personality that will help him (or her) explore every angle in the story’s whole without making anything seem forced. I have only seen two animes based on visual novels that have done this right and this is not one of them. Also, the point of a harem is that early on, you should be able to see the protagonist ending up with any of the potential love interests as he (or she) gradually narrows down who he (or she) loves the most as the story goes on until he (or she) finally picks someone. I’ve only seen one harem anime do this right, and again, it was not this one. In Clannad, it is too obvious who he going to pick. It’s just like Toradora!, where they nonsensically put three love interests in when they already make it clear which girl the guy will choose. Except in Clannad, they want you to think that there are not three, but six girls who will all have a fair and equal chance at winning the guy. That is very, very wrong. The opening is kind enough to inform us that Tomoya will definitely choose Nagisa. Okay, it’s fine if the show decides that it ships Tomoya and Nagisa so hard that it wants to write a love story about them, but then, what’s the point of having the harem? To make Nagisa seem superior? It’s just not necessary. And maybe if more time was spent focusing on Nagisa than on the other girls, she would have actually been a pretty good character. As for the chemistry between her and Tomoya, I personally don’t think there is any. I just did not see it. Their relationship lacked a lot of things that I personally think all stories about these kinds of relationships need.

First off, these two never talk about anything fun. Most of the time, they just point out each other’s bad qualities or go on about their own. Nagisa expresses sadness or concern over something and Tomoya’s first words in response always involve him complaining about her being the way she is which usually makes her even more upset. Tomoya tries to ditch class or avoid having a rude teacher follow him home, (you know, something that anyone who calls themselves a delinquent would do) but no, Nagisa constantly nags to him about his behavior and forces him to do whatever he’s avoiding. It doesn’t even seem like she’s trying to do this stuff for his good. To me, it’s almost as if she just wants to spend time with a handsome “delinquent” because she has this delusion that she can change him. She claims to be able to put up with his dirty mouth (though I swear, Tomoya doesn’t even say ‘Hell’ or ‘Damn’ once in the entire series) even though it clearly bothers her. Because they constantly complain about each other and see each other in such a negative light, their “love” does not seem like love at all.  It’s like they only want to be around each other just to see if they can change the others’ ways and take advantage of each other when the opportunity comes. I will not be convinced that they are a match made in heaven just because they blush around each other a lot. Kindness and respect are two of the most important parts of a relationship which neither one of them shows to the other.

Second off, they never properly communicate their problems to each other. They would not need to complain about each other much if they actually tried to talk and work through their issues. Most of their gripes with each other are passed off as comedic when it actually just makes them look like a bad couple. This causes a ton of frustration for me later on when Nagisa calls Tomoya’s father behind Tomoya’s back and makes what was actually a pretty happy moment for the couple into an extremely awkward one.

Lastly, there really is not that much development in Tomoya and Nagisa’s relationship since many episodes are not even about their interactions. Instead, there are a large amount of episodes centered on Tomoya helping a girl who is not Nagisa. Again, we know that he’s not going to end up with any of them, so there’s no point in making Tomoya become close with the other girls since their relationship will be completely pointless by the end. Actually, one of the girls could have been completely cut out of the show and it wouldn’t have changed anything. This particular girl had absolutely no business in being in the show since all of the characters completely forget about her and all event having to do with her after her arc is over. Making characters forget means that it negates whatever character development they may have had during that time. What was the point of building up to something just to forget about it when those episodes could have been used to establish attraction between Tomoya and Nagisa?

By the way, Clannad has some of the worst humor I’ve ever seen. Most of it revolves around making Youhei Sunohara (Tomoya’s supposed best friend who he treats like trash) the ass of every joke. Yeah, the show and its characters treat Sunohara the same way modern SpongeBob SquarePants episodes and its characters treat Squidward. I can assure you it’s not very pleasant to watch.

The parts about the girl and the robot from another world are completely pointless and boring. Trust me, I’ve also seen Clannad After Story. You won’t be missing anything if you skip those parts.

Animation: 6.5/10

The character designs are okay, but nothing spectacular. Tomoya looks nothing like what anime delinquents usually look like. I’m happy about that.

Sound: 7/10

I liked both the opening and the ending themes and was especially impressed by the symbolism in the ending theme. Had Nagisa actually made reference to the symbolism in the song, it could have added some depth to her. The background music was pretty forgettable.

Many great seiyuus were part of this cast, but none of them really stood out to me.

Characters: 5.5/10

I saw that Clannad came out after Air TV so I figured at first that Nagisa was going to be a less-cute copy of Misuzu Kamio (a character that I like). But no, actually Nagisa was able to establish her own personality. It’s not one that I like very much, but it’s better than stealing from a good character. And while she did test my nerves, I felt that compared to Tomoya, her thoughts and actions had more justification to them.

Tomoya might actually be one of the worst protagonists I have come across in my years of watching anime. He hardly has any personality at all and just acts however the plot wants him to. He’s supposed to be a delinquent, but he never does any of the things delinquents are supposed to do. He may think about doing something troublesome, but the moment someone tells him not to, his listens to them. In fact, he scolds other people for breaking the school rules when his established character tells us that he should be encouraging others to break the rules. He never does anything that he wants to do. He just drags himself into someone else’s business and gets them to do things that they might not necessarily be interested in doing themselves. He doesn’t seem to add any emotion or anything to the show, he’s just there, saying things and reacting to other characters and getting invested in the other characters’ thought processes.  The anime even realizes how insignificant Tomoya is that they kept him out of the opening theme.

He’s always extremely passive and let’s all the girls in the show walk all over him. E has no real development or progression. He doesn’t start out as a delinquent who only cares about himself because he was never truly a delinquent in the first place. He doesn’t just gradually become interested in Nagisa; he just decides that he wants to help any girl who appears to be troubled for the sake of trying to change them. He doesn’t become a better person in the end because he still treats his “best friend” very poorly. All we really learn about this guy is that he will do anything, and I mean anything for a girl if he finds her to be cute. This does not make him a guy with lots of personality or even a guy who would make a good boyfriend, all this does is make him an idiotic doormat that is meant to succumb to those who are physically attractive.

And because Tomoya is nothing but a caterer, it makes the romance even weaker. You would think that he would have dedicated his life to the first girl he encountered on the first day of school. It wouldn’t have had to have been Nagisa. She just got the advantage because she figured out that all she needed to do to reel him in was tell him her dreams before any of the other girls did.

Also, you may have heard that there is a lot of crying in this anime. Well, do you want to know who the first person to break down crying is? Tomoya! Under little to no provocation he breaks down and reveals his past just to elicit some sympathy. It made me sick.

The other characters are not that interesting. They’re probably what you would expect for a school life anime. The most they do for the plot is continuously ask Tomoya and Nagisa if they’re dating.

Overall: 4.5/10

I’m sorry, I really didn’t like this. There was just so much about this anime that I hated. If you like Clannad, then good for you. I’m glad that your viewing experience was better than mine. So unless by ‘Clannad’ you are referring to the movie, I do not recommend watching Clannad.

4.5/10 story