Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!

Alt title: Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!

LamientHana's avatar By on Sep 24, 2014

This is my very first review, please take it easy on my judgement ^v^ Heads up, this review is only for the first season.

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai, a light-hearted romantic comedy with its own fair share of drama. To me, although I may have been reading too far into it, it truly a great anime that I enjoyed watching. I used to have my own fair share of chuunibyou, and that's the thing you have to have to really relate to this story. You have to really share that childish imagination to see more of this story. Like a child, enjoy their whimsical fighting scenes and laugh like an adult would when they reveal the reality of it.

During my time as a chuunibyou, I experienced most of the same things. Magical creatures all around me, taking parts in imaginary battles with dragons or creatures of shadow, protecting a magical artifact that connected the real world to my "imaginary" one... and so on. Which is why I find it strange to really call it an illness, I simply consider it part of a child's gigantic imagination. To the main female lead, Rikka, it was an escape route from the boring, and quite harsh, reality. She's aware of it, that it's probably the wrong thing to do, but it's special, and interesting, and fun, so why does she have to stop? A continuous conflict. Same with the main male lead, Yuuta, who found himself different and so, isolated himself, although not entirely on purpose.

To start off, let's talk about the story.

Yuuta Togashi, a freshman, transfers to a new school with the hopes to completely forget about his "embarrassing" past as a chuunibyou. The night before the opening ceremony, he sees a rope hanging from outside his veranda. Curious, he looks out to see a girl climbing down. This girl, Rikka Takanashi, is an absolutely severe case of chuunibyou.

The premise is actually quite interesting, I don't think I've heard it before, or maybe I just haven't seen enough anime yet (which I doubt).

Rikka's backstory, which I will spoil a bit here so this is a warning, makes a lot of sense when it comes why she got chuunibyou. To put it complicatedly, the world denied her of her father and all fun after that. She never really hated anyone, she just found everything boring. Then she finds the Dark Flame Master, just doing what he wanted. In a random passerby's eyes, DFM would definitely have looked weird. But to Rikka, he looked like he was having fun, which sparked her creativity and imagination. She was inspired by his relentless indifference and his continuous doing-whatever-he-wants, and thus developed her own chuunibyou.

Their romance isn't half bad really, Yuuta cared enough for Rikka to chase after her multiple times throughout the series and even showed her what she's been wanting to see from the begginning, the Ethereal Horizon, which truly was beautiful.

The message of the series is quite beautiful in it's own right. To me, the message was: Don't be afraid to accept who you are, or who you were, no matter how shameful it can get. Some people don't have the courage to fully accept themselves, and are always afraid of acting how they want to in public. All of us, at some point, have thought of ourselves as special in some way. And so, we tried to be who we thought we were, special. It's shameful, and at some point you'll think back to it as embarrassing. But we'll always have those crazy fantasies, although hidden away, deep in our minds. We should hold it dear to us, because that, my friends, is called "self-consciousness." No matter how embarrassing it is, don't deny it, because it is part of yourself.

Moving on now, to animation.

The animation was pretty generic, the typical KyoAni cutesy animation for all your moe girl needs. It complemented the comedy part of the series. KyoAni was also the animation studio of one of my favourite anime, Kyoukai no Kanata, which is more of the dramatic side of things. But I don't think they really executed the dramatic scenes in Chuunibyou as well as they did in KnK. Still, I have to say that the animation really shined during the fighting scenes or any scene in the characters' imagination.

The scenes that I thought were actually pretty well animated was Rikka's fight with her sister when they get to the empty lot, the scenes when Dekomori were trying to convince Rikka to go back to how she was, and, the Ethereal Horizon. I have a weakness for beautiful starry skies, and if you've seen KnK, then you know how well KyoAni does beautiful starry skies (laugh).

Now, for the sound.

I'll be completely honest, I wasn't very comfortable with the music. Specifically, both the Opening and Ending. The sparkle noises were probably the only parts that I enjoyed in the opening. To me, it didn't quite fit, and always made me want to skip the opening. As for the ending, there's just something about the opening note for the lyrics "Inside identity" that just struck me the wrong way every single time. The last few verses of the ending was probably the only part I stuck around for.

BGM, I don't really have a problem with. It's pretty normal, really. I love when Rikka and Dekomori actually sing the BGM, I'm still not entirely sure why.

As for the voice acting, it was probably one of the best parts of series. It fit the light hearted tone, and, albeit not as good, the dramatic tone as well. But the series is mostly comedy, so it's mostly pretty good as well. Personally, I loved Yuuta's voice, especially when he's DFM. Rikka's voice pretty much fit as well. Isshiki is probably the only one whose voice I constantly flinched whenever I heard, but well, he's supposed to be a weird pervert, and it certainly sounded like a really weird pervert most of the time.

Lastly, the characters.

I won't go through all of them of course, I'll separate it into two categories: Main and Supporting.

As for the main, which are Rikka and Yuuta, I find little fault in their characters. At first, Yuuta complains a lot about his chuunibyou, and Rikka is so childish she could get a little annoying to some people. But you see them grow, to some a little to others quite a lot, throughout the series. You see the actual conflict in Rikka's feelings about being a chuunibyou, why she is one, why she wants to be one and, when she gives up on it, how much she wants to be one again. As for Yuuta, he's always been a nice guy, but you do see that his kindness towards Rikka does change a bit. His feelings towards chuunibyou as well. It's ironic actually, how I love Rikka's normal personality and Yuuta's chuunibyou personality.

The supporting cast are not as interesting as the main characters, but they're pretty enjoyable too. Isshiki and his, "I want to be loved" personality that really reminds me of the song, Anybody's fine, I just really want to date. (I'm cheering you on, Isshiki, gambatte.) Dekomori is sometimes annoying, but I found her constant "Des"-es cute after a while. I loved her when she gave up on Chuunibyou though, you do see that she had always had the potential to be normal. Nibutani is enjoyable, with her sort of tsundere personality. I found her desperation to hide her secret funny. Kumin is so laid back, so calm, but she was actually doing well when she was impersonating Rikka. Tooka is pretty awesome too, her relationship with the youngest Togashi was hilarious.

Overall, this anime was enjoyable, I laughed quite a bit at some parts, and other parts really made me think, "Hey, I know how that feels!" which made it even more enjoyable to watch. It pained me when Rikka was trying so hard to be normal, to be honest, I think her quirks are just part of her "true" personality. Her normal self was so forced that it sort of came off as that. It's a fun little anime with an interesting premise and pretty good comedy. The entire season is worth at least one viewing.

6.5/10 animation
5.5/10 sound
joelex911's avatar By on Apr 24, 2015

Should you watch this show? Yes

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai (hereafter referred to as "the show") is a romantic comedy revolving around an ex-crazy who meets a currently crazy and the adventures that they have together. This show is essentially a cross of K-On and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. And it's a pleasant cross. It lacks the umph of Suzumiya, but it has the heart of K-On. If you haven't watched either of these shows, please do, they're both great

The story is interesting and though it does follow a standard romance storyline, it approaches it from a different angle and creates a story that tweaks at your heart strings without trying to break them. It looks like it will turn into a harem anime early on, but don't worry, it doesn't. With the standard school set up, such as the club and the club member that isn't really a part, we see a familiar scene that if you enjoy it, you'll like, and if you hate it, I'm sorry.

The animation is the worst part about this show. There were parts where I'm pretty sure that animators didn't even try, where there were probably close to 10 frames per second, which is really, really bad. That seems to be sort of standard with this studio, unforunately. On the opposite end, it doesn't detract from the story and the show doesn't feel any less because of the poor animation, since this is mostly a show about the dialogue. The fight scenes are awesome (yes, there are fight scenes) and honestly, they do a good job for covering for the poor animation the rest of the time.

The sound/music, was slightly better than studios that don't try. The music was touching when it needed to be, and it generally was a good soundtrack, though not quite excellent.

Characters. Oh boy. This show has some interesting ones. With a main character who is even more embarassed to think about his middle school experience than the rest of us (you know what I'm talking about, and if you don't, you will) another main character who decided to never grow out of the imagination games we used to play as children, a couple of characters who are in similar stages of lfe as these two, and two characters who are actually normal, we have an interesting group. All-in-all, the cast was enjoyable, while not being too over-the-top, except for the two crazies (uhhh... spoilers, there's more than one)

All in all, this show was a pleasant experience that I would recommend to anybody who is looking for a light hearted story that actually has some plot and character development to it. It's worth your time and you won't walk away from this show thinking that you wasted those four hours of your life.

Ian8107's avatar By on May 13, 2016

Nice show with good plot but can be slightly confusing and/or depressing. some episodes require tissue if your a emotional person. good comendy tho :)

PurplePeopleEater's avatar By on Apr 2, 2016

This review is for both seasons. Why I actually watched both seasons I'm not sure. I guess the first season had a decent enough ending I thought the second season would be better.

This is just my opinion and I am sure many would disagree, but I didn't like this anime much at all. The only decent part was the ending of the first season. Sure, I laughed once or twice, but I'm not sure if I laughed because it was funny or laughe because it was just so silly. No this isn't the worst anime I have ever seen. It wasn't painful to watch and it's a better love story than twilight (I say that way too much in my reviews, but it's true at least).

It's sort of a school club anime at least some of the time. It's sort of a romance although the couple never really do anything romantic per say. A lot of it is a bunch of high schoolers playing pretend and having imaginary battles. The battles might look a little cool, but none of it's actually happening. It's just in their heads. That kind of makes it pointless in my opinion and so I don't think it matters whether it looks cool or not. Then again I don't care for watching fake stuff. I don't like watching characters in video games and I don't like animes where most of the action isn't actually real it's imaginary. I have no problem with playing pretend even at 23, but I don't want to watch a show with people playing pretend.

Also, this anime kind of creepe me out. It reminded me way to much of myself and one of my friends back in elementary and middle school. That's just creepy. It's unsettling. I don't like or hate that about this anime, it's just weird.

Anyway, the characters are solid, the animation is average the sound is fine (although I hate the opening and ending themes for both seasons), and the story has a good ending for the first season at least. It's really just the content. It didn't impress me and I didn't really feel much for the characters or the situations. I guess in a way the story is unique but I would have liked it a lot better if at least some part of their imaginary self was real. If there was something that they thought was them being weird that actually had some truth to it, if it wasn't just a bunch of teens playing make believe, then it would have been a bit better.

TheRegretful777's avatar By on Dec 22, 2015

I loved everything about Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! The characters and their personalities amazed me and I loved how their worlds were shown to us! I loved watching as the characters figured out their situations one by one and how the reasons were completely logical! Everything done in this anime was PERFECT! Definitely ranked to my TOP FAVORITE anime! Number 1! I watched the whole season in one sitting, I couldn't take my eyes off the screen! I just adore the whole setting, story and mind sets. I love how they all came together and how deep they went in with their pasts. PERFECT! So perfect that I'm making a quickly done review without checking to see if this makes any sense at all because I just want to move on to season 2!!!!!!! PERFECT!!!

GOOGLE/10!!!!!!!