Chu-Bra!!

Add review
therik's avatar
May 24, 2010

My regular readers – working on the egocentric assumption that such a species might exist – will remember my most recent review as having been commissioned via TACO by KiraRin in an attempt to offend my sensibilities. This time round, sothis herself has got in on the act, deciding to exploit my utter distaste for lolicon material and underage nudity by forcing Chu-Bra!! upon my unwilling person. Thus did I end up watching a show about young teens in underwear. At least that’s what I plan to tell the police.

In a way, Chu-Bra!! is like multiple-Oscar-winning film Rain Man. Its central protagonist is an individual lacking in the social graces and common sense that anyone would consider natural, compensating this with an outlandish talent that anyone would consider god-given. Unfortunately, that’s more or less where the similarities end because, while Raymond Babbitt had an encyclopaedic memory and the uncanny ability to count things at a glance, Nayu Hayama has an encyclopaedic knowledge of underwear and the uncanny ability to annoy me.

When summed up, the show’s plot is ridiculous. A teenage girl goes around teaching others about underwear and solving their problems, on the proviso that they relate specifically to bras and knickers. However, the real problem with Chu-Bra!! is not that it is as bad as its premise sounds - rather it is worse. There was room for humour here. There was room for nonsense, room for parody, room to make something that could be laughed with rather than laughed at. Instead, token steps are taken to create something respectable, or at least as respectable as a show about a middle school underwear club could hope to be. There are trials, tribulations, and other laughable pleas for the viewer to become emotionally involved in the recycled plot points and pointless interactions that the makers have the gall to pass off as a story.

What humour and diversion the show does manage to offer is sub-par at best. Aside from a delightfully over-the-top drama club who make an Utena-referencing cameo towards the end, the comedy can be summarised in one sentence: middle schoolers of both genders find lingerie embarrassing. While the show occasionally elaborates on the theme - for example by employing a cavalcade of blushes and nosebleeds to illustrate the idea like some kind of puerile crimson PowerPoint presentation - it would be unfair to credit Chu-Bra!! with much more than this simple observation, re-told again and again with tedious dedication.

Chu-Bra!!’s animation is both generic and lazy. Backgrounds are clean but far from striking, and they frequently exhibit a lack of detail. The character designs, meanwhile, are uninspired. Aside from a couple of touches – such as Ms. Mizuno’s constantly unkempt hair – nothing much even resembles novelty. Similarly, the show is short on visual flair, and the animated medium is never used to achieve anything more creative than an overused face fault or two.

More unfortunate still are the inconstancies which haunt the show like an unusually irksome spectre. Some of the more obvious are a teleporting tea cup, a boat which can’t decide whether it has seats or not, and the curious case of Haruka’s eyelash protrusions, whose length inexplicably varies throughout the series. These are by no means the only errors which leapt out at me, and I have no doubt that an eye sharper than my own could catch many more before succumbing to some bad-animation-induced strain of ocular cancer.

Chu-Bra!!’s assault on the ears is no gentler than its assault on the eyes or brain. Both the OP and ED fall some way short of the bouncy, energetic J-pop for to which they presumably aspired, owing to jarringly fast lyrics in the OP and an irritating melody in both. The background music is usually too loud and often too serious – the relic of an earnest but failed attempt to add some kind of drama to the insistently daft and shallow plot.

I also found myself disappointed with the voicing. Whether the actors were poorly cast or just did a bad job is open to debate, but Minori Chihara, who shone as Yuki Nagato in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, offers only cutesy blandness as Nayu. Meanwhile, Takahiro Sakurai, so engaging in the role of Mononoke’s medicine seller, is wasted as Nayu’s quiet and entirely irrelevant step-brother. Not that any of the half-baked roles on offer would have particularly suited.

As well as having nothing to offer in terms of intrigue, the main characters in Chu-Bra!! have no obvious personality outside of their attitude towards underwear. In a way, that’s about all that could be expected given the premise, but in another, equally valid way, it makes for dull viewing. There is some modicum of redemption to be found in the sparse appearances of the off-the-wall eccentricity of the drama club and the down-to-earth maturity of Kiyono, but when I found myself siding with the poisonously stereotyped, no-fun-on-my-watch headmistress in her attempts to close down the underwear club, it became clear that this was not a cast I could easily care about.

Overall

In order to give an overall picture of Chu-Bra!!, there is value in going back to the very basics. This is a show about middle-schoolers with underwear problems and, no matter how you cut it, there’s a certain wrongness to that. Confronted with such wrongness, there are two things that a successful show can do. Firstly, a show such as Kodomo no Jikan can embrace the wrongness, use it to confront the viewer and create drama and intrigue. Alternatively, a show such as Moetan is able to acknowledge the wrongness, parody it, and generally have a lot of fun. What Chu-Bra!! does is make a foolish attempt to bury it. Foolish because a lame plot and weak attempts at self-legitimisation amount to barely two shovelfuls of dirt, and the wrongness is even more apparent than if they had simply let it be.

While Chu-Bra!! may not be the sole reason for which anime fandom is generally looked down upon, it nevertheless makes an excellent case for the prosecution. The show brings neither humour nor drama to the table, and the small amount of ecchi appeal it might have is nothing more than desperate barrel scrapings. There are far better anime out there.

2.5/10 characters
2.5/10 overall
TheTsundereWhisperer's avatar
Nov 13, 2016

Middle school girls and Pantsu. How can you not love that?

crazyworld's avatar
Jul 15, 2015

I'm glad I got to see this anime, because now I can beat the crap out of it. It's about a little girl who has a fascination with underwear? How could anyone who's only in it for the ecchi like this repulsive trash. I know what some are thinking, it kind of aims to be bad, but just because an anime seemingly aims to be bad on purpose doesn't make it any less of a bad anime and Chu-bra is no exception.

2 out of 10 solely because it did make me chuckle a couple of times, but really if a few chuckles is all it's good for, then just scrap this and find something else.

3.5/10 animation
2.5/10 sound
hotspot's avatar
Jun 26, 2013

I'm going to be honest, I was mislead by the bio of this anime, I thought it was only a comedy. When I saw that it was about underwear and it was a comedy, I thought it would be weird. Now, it is weird.... but it's also very dirty. A scene doesn't go by without a panty shot or gigantic breasts flying around. As someone who is not attracted to women, I found these concepts really disturbing and un interesting. No, I don't want to see that stuff, please get it away. I tried being open minded and I watched the whole episode; but I am not a female ecchi fan, I do like male ecchi, but unfortunately it doesn't exist because of people.

After watching the first episode, I was pretty dirstubed by how they had to do a panty shot or a cleavage shot. So, I decided to drop it because there was no way you could get me to watch this again.

So, if you don't like breasts and female butts flying around every second, it's not for you. But if you like breasts and female butts flying every where, you may like it.

bigdog1832's avatar
Aug 10, 2012

Story - CONTAINS SPOILERS

ChuBra!! is a anime about a girl named Nayu who has what some would call an osession with underwear, not specifically panties but Bras as well, she starts off having no friends at the middle school which she just started at but ends up having 2 best friends (Yako & Haruka) A Potential Love Interest (Hiroki) and another female friend (Kiyono). As the story progresses Nayu's obsession with underwear becomes less and less obscure, she tries to form a underwear club but the idea is shot down due to Hiroki unintentionally causing a scene by busting up a peeping tom session by some of the other boys, instead of a club they form a society since societies dont directly connect to the school but is watched over by one of the young school teachers (Tamaki Mizuno ) Nayus brother is a underwear designer and also a former schoolmate to Mizuno, Mizuno and Nayu's brother (Keigo) are shown to have love interests in each other but never take the feelings and act upon them, same is the situation between Nayu and Hiroki, because these love interests were never acted upon it left you feeling somewhat empty by the end, like an episode was missing,thefore earning the story A 7 Out Of 10

I find the animation in this anime to be very well done but the lighting in some scenes is sometimes too much therefore earning A 8 Out Of 10

The sound quality was consistent and very good but lacked slightly in the musical area therefore earning sound A 9 Out Of 10

All the characters are very good but because of the unexplored love lines the characters earn A 7 Out Of 10

Overall

i liked this anime and i wanted to love it but because the characters couldnt love each other, i couldnt love this, Overall Score - 7Out Of 10