Chihayafuru 2

RingoStarr1991's avatar By RingoStarr1991 on Jun 29, 2013

First off if you are at all interested in watching this anime, please do yourself a favor and watch the first season first. This second season picks off directly after the first.

***This is a spoiler free review***

Chihayafuru completely blindsided me when I first watched it last year. No matter how I looked at it, it looked like a Josei anime which is usually a turn off for me. After much consideration though I ended up watching it and I never regretted doing so. Now that the second season has completed, I find myself pretty much with the same feelings; pure awesomeness.

Story: 6.5/10

Let’s get the formalities out of the way; this is a sports anime. If you do not like sports anime then I am 98% sure you will not like this anime at all. Chihayafuru follows the main character Chihaya as she tries to become better at the Japanese poetry card game Karuta. In the second season, the show focuses more on the Karuta club at Chihaya’s school as they prepare to compete in the district and regional tournament. Now for the second formality; like I posted in my opening statement this looks like and pretty much is a Josei anime. Josei shows usually shoots for the young to older teen girl audience and a unique characteristic that the Josei genre usually brings is its art style (read more about this in the animation section). So since this show is directed to young Japanese girls, you have to deal with the typical female lead that usually has two or three boys after her affection. This is somewhat true in Chihayafuru but the romance thankfully takes a back seat compared to the other things such as character development and the card game scenes. It also helps that Chihaya is a very strong willed and overall great lead character (more of this in the character section).

The most important thing about grading the story section is how the plot flows. While the two main arcs flow nicely into each other, I feel as if some of the match scenes dragged on a little too much (I call it the Bleach syndrome). That being said, some of the matches actually had me on the edge of my seat. I will not spoil the results but there is a team match where it literally comes down to the last card and I could not believe the result. My overall feelings are if you want a flowing story with tons of character development then stay away from this anime. While it does have the stuff you want in between the tournaments, once they start it is all about the matches. This is a sports anime.

Animation: 9.7/10

If you look at any number of Josei anime you will see that they all pretty much have very light and bright colors and this is no exception for Chihayafuru 2. In the scenes where there is sunlight peering through the windows, there is beautiful and well down lighting. Also the character models (AND THE EYES) are so well done that even the talking scenes are beautiful (OMG THE EYES). Since this a sports anime, you would hope that the action oriented scenes flow well with great quality. I am happy to say that even the most intense matches have great quality and look extremely smooth. I honestly love the animation of this anime; all the characters (even the side ones) look unique and beautiful/handsome. Like or hate the Josei art style, this is one beautiful anime.

Sound: 9.6/10

Another great asset this anime has is the overall sound design. The music that plays in the background for both the dialogue and match scenes is so spot on. In an intense match you will find that the music caters perfectly to what is going on and I also love how they included so many orchestral arrangements. The voice actors also did an awesome job reprising their roles. The new characters also sounded great as each one meshed quite well with their virtual counterpart. It has been quite some time since I have experienced an anime with such a great acoustic qualities.

Characters: 8/10

I feel that this season did a much better job with the character interactions (since they added new people to the club) but at the same time it detracted from the characters I really like. The screen time for Chihaya and Taichi was more limited since we had to learn about the new members but this is not really a valid complaint since they still had screen time. Chihaya is a very strong female lead with an unfathomable amount of resolve to become better and better at Karuta. She wants to one day play a match against Arata like she did as a child. She is to my limited memory the strongest female anime character I can think of which is great because I am so tired of the weak willed and whiny females we usually get. Taichi in the first season made it quite clear he was crushin’ on Chihaya; I won’t spoil if he was man enough to make a confession this season but the time they had together in the second season was pretty nice. He also grew very much as a player in this season. There is a particular team match where he pretty much was the sole reason the team won. The other characters (boob girl, porky, glasses, and the two new members) really did help bring in some great moments for the team especially in the first tournament. It added a new element since the team now had people they could cycle in instead of always relying on the same people.

Overall: 8.5/10

This show is really, really good. The continuing story of Chihaya and the Karuta club is so enjoyable to watch unfold. If you somehow missed or just decided to skip the first season of Chihayafuru then please do yourself a favor and at least give it a try. While the show covers a sport you have most likely never heard of, the anime does a superb job pulling you in which other great sport anime have done in the past (Capeta, Prince of Tennis, Major, ext).

Enjoyment: 9/10

Thanks for reading my review! If you liked my writing style, would like to see some other reviews, or just want to talk, please stop by my page!

Sincerely,
Awesome Drummer

6.5/10 story
9.7/10 animation
9.6/10 sound
snivets's avatar By snivets on Jun 29, 2013

I keep waiting for a confession, but Chihayafuru 2 is a big huge tease. The focus, as in the first season, was on the competitive karuta aspect--making it more or less a sports show--with just enough hints of developing relationships between characters to string you along and leave you wanting more. Gah!

Story: Chihayafuru's story is typical of any other sports show, highlighting aspects of training and spending a lot of time battling weird opponents. The only distinguishing feature (and the feature that puts it solidly in the shoujo category) is the romance, but it's so light it's barely there.

Animation & Sound: I really like the voice actors in this show, as well as the music. Animation is boring, but decent.

Characters: This season sees some of the characters developing more, but also has a few leaning-toward stereotypical characters, like Hanano. The character development is slow & gentle, but rewarding, and the characters are what bring you back for more.

Overall: I can't wait for more!!! If you liked what you got in season 1, keep watching. Also recommended for shoujo fans, and people who don't mind waiting for confessions to happen. :)

7.5/10 story
7.5/10 animation
8.8/10 overall
NarkyOtic's avatar By NarkyOtic on Dec 13, 2013

So, here we are again, in the post Chihayafuru wasteland... Thankfully, this time I must qualify that there is at least a little stirring of the long (looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong) neglected sub-plots, developments, character relation and forward momentum.

It's still a pretty simple formula of a high school student's journey through trials and tribulations with a passion/skill and determined goals, centred wholly around the card game, Karuta. If you find Karuta boring, then stay the sweet flying shit away from this anime; Karuta is not only the central focus (again) it's also used (again) as a vehicle to weave personality, conflict, character development and tension into the story more widely.

Chihaya is still a beautiful high school student, who is perceived to 'ruin' her beauty when she opens her mouth to speak and reveals herself to be a little less dazzlingly intelligent than her beauty might complement. Luckily, this time, this weird fixation upon Chihaya's 'dumbness' is toned down considerably, and her idiosyncracies and habits are regarded with more affection than the old brand of misplaced disdain.

The show began to drag on a bit (again), and it actually took me two months to pick it back up again after episode 8 was released, and ended up marathoning the rest of the series because I was so darned determined to get the hell through it.

There is still a sense of emotional stagnation within the Arata / Taichi / Chihaya triangle. However, there are the tiniest, most delicate signs that this potential 'story-maker' in waiting is beginning to germinate. There is a little more clarity around Taichi's and Chihaya's feelings toward the other two in the triangle. But... again... We're treated to 'the one that got away' with the series finishing just before this painfully-awaited momentum could gain anything beyond a light breeze. I realise that there is supposed to be a second series, but I felt more frustrated by the lack of forward momentum, just as I was after watching the first series.

Otherwise, it's a relatively tight story, but as mentioned: people who don't like karuta should steer clear, as all of the storyline's subtleties and developments stem almost wholly from karuta being played, watched, analysed and used in metaphor.

Animation/Sound

That's the one thing about this anime, is that it's darned well pretty. Sharp animation, good backdrops, character designs etc.

VA's were good, and did particularly well in creating tension through inner dialogue throughout in all the characters, which was a large portion of the series' 'action'. I couldn't imagine that this would be an easy feat!

Characters/Overall

Not bad, but not great. Will look with tepid interest at series 3, should it go ahead, but this elderly sloth of a storyline had better grow some wings, or I don't think I can sit through another Chihayafuru Groundhog Day.

7.5/10 - Score is slightly higher than I would really have settled on due to technical elements over the story itself.

6.5/10 story
9.5/10 animation
7.5/10 characters
CrazyBeverly96's avatar By CrazyBeverly96 on Jul 3, 2014

This is a really, really great anime. It’s just so interesting and fresh. It’s actually made itself so distinct and unique that I can’t think of any other animes that I have seen that I can recommend this anime for. Believe me, I’ve made a lot of recommendations and I try to make recommendations for all of the anime I’ve seen and liked. But I just can’t think of an anime I can recommend for people who like Chihayafuru, never mind the second season. This is not a bad thing; in fact, this might actually be a good thing. It just makes this anime all the more special because it just feels so new and original and it’s just honestly so great to watch.

Story: 7/10

Chihaya, Taichi, and the other members of the Mizusawa Karuta Team are back and are now in their second year of high school. They are preparing for the highschool team tournament and the individual tournament. At the same time, they are recruiting new members to their clubs, improving their game, and dealing with rising conflicts. Plenty of surprises and character development are abound.

There is an equal amount of focus on all of the Mizusawa team members, they get more development and I really enjoyed the direction their characters were going (mostly). All of the characters outside the team (Arata, Shinobu, members of other teams, coaches/teachers etc.) were also fleshed out and got some character development as well. What’s great is that all of these characters really have interesting personalities and actually have substance surrounding all of them. This makes every single one of them feel very realistic and relatable. Unfortunately, while the Mizusawa team members have developed well individually, they really have not made any progress in becoming closer to each other as friends. It is clear that they admire each other’s strengths in the game and respect each other as teammates, but I do not feel like any of them have made a deeper connection and/or trust with each other. I mean, maybe Chihaya and Kana get along more than they did back in the first season but I don’t think they really had any kind of bond going on. I would have actually liked to have seen at least 11 minutes where at least two of the team members have a moment together where they open up to each other and get to know each other better.

I want to make it clear that I am glad that the main focus of the anime is on the sport of Karuta rather than on any sort of relationship drama. However, the problem is that it takes away from the chances for character interaction, making the characters seem like they’re really not that close. Then, it makes you less inclined to root for the characters as a group instead of as individuals. It can also give you the wrong impression of certain characters because you don’t really get to know them that much.

I also need to say something about this love triangle that comes up every now and then. Arata is hardly in this show. Now, Arata is obviously a significant person, especially to Chihaya since he was the one who awakened her passion for Karuta, but as far as how much time he has actually spent talking and interacting with Chihaya, it’s nothing compared to how long Taichi has been around her. I don’t want to spoil anything so I will do my best to address the rest of my complaint without doing so. There is a very unfair imbalance within this triangle where one could say that it would be very unrealistic for Chihaya to get in a relationship with Arata over Taichi for the sheer fact that Taichi has spent more time with Chihaya has than Arata has and Chihaya and Taichi are more comfortable around each other (I guess) while Chihaya and Arata seem to view each other as distant, mysterious beings whose secrets they are both interested in learning. Also, Chihaya makes more of an effort to communicate with Arata than he does with her.

I have to say now that I HATE Taichi. I FREAKING HATE Taichi. I really do not want Chihaya to end up with him because of his attitude and the way he treats her. I’ve been rooting for Arata to win Chihaya’s heart since early in the first season. But I feel that in neither the first nor second season have there been any significant moments where Chihaya and Arata have really clicked as more than just friends. I LOVE Arata as a character but because he hasn’t really done anything to prove that he and Chihaya would make a fantastic couple, I feel less enthusiastic about rooting for them. There’s nothing to back their romance up. It feels like the only reason I still want Chihaya to choose Arata is because I don’t want her pick Taichi. Even then, that’s still doesn’t lead up to a satisfying relationship. I hope that, if another season is made, Arata gets more screen time and uses it to talk to Chihaya.

As another note, I would like to know more about Shinobu and the current master.

Animation: 8/10

I like the animation. It’s pretty simple, occasionally flashy. It fits the feel of the anime. There’s enough detail in the settings to make them seem realistic and lively. The characters’ faces are always expressive. They are always showing emotion and making movements, which keeps them from fading into the background. Even characters whose names we’ll never know are very expressive. And I just like how the animators actually took the time to provide facial expressions for every single character in the series. I must have been hard work but it looks great when you’re watching it.

I also liked some of the visuals they used to symbolize the cards. They provided nice, colorful ways of looking at the cards based on their meanings.

This show also did a good job at showing that the characters are living in the modern era.

Sound: 8/10

No complaints here. The voices fit right for the characters. None of them felt out of place.

Characters: 10/10

Like before, the characters and their personalities have substance to them that make each of the feel real. And this, of course, could have been even better if there had been some relationship development, whether as friends or as lovers.

Honestly, if you loved the characters back in the first season, then I guarantee that that won’t change. The new recruits to the team do find their places in it. Really it’s just good. You might find yourself relating to one of the characters in the show. Or you might find a character that is just like a friend of yours. Sorry, I know I keep going on and on about how realistic these characters are but I can’t help it, it’s just so amazing!

Overall:

This is a great anime. I recommend this to anyone who’s looking for a light, fun series with lots of comedy, growth, and dabs of drama. For anyone on the hunt for a strong female protagonist, this anime is a must-see.