Cheating Craft

Add review
PurplePeopleEater's avatar
Oct 5, 2016

ATTENTION!!! This review is a first impressions review based off the first two episodes.

Just from the description, I expect a mess. The entire first episode only further convinces me that this is probably not worth watching. But what the hec.

The idea isn’t anything new. A similar idea appears in Assassination Classroom and Baka to Test, and a couple others I don’t remember the name of. Tests/grades determine who succeeds in life.  Battles are fought.

The whole thing is kind of hilarious but not in the laugh and enjoy a comedy hilarious but the this is so stupid and ridiculous it’s almost funny..but not hilarious. Then again, I hated Baka to Test which is really similar.

The episodes are short, about 12 minutes long. The animation and sound are average.

The first episode is just an introduction. It spends about 11 minutes explaining how it all works and showing an example. Then it introduces us to what I assume is the main character and second main character in a scene which looks like they are about to enter the almighty test to determine their fate…If that’s what they are doing, I hope they take this test more than once or this anime is less than 12 episodes. Otherwise, I can’t imagine how it could possibly be interesting to drag one test out for 12 episodes. I get it’s a battle, but you would think, if the people in charge were as serious as they supposedly are about this test, they would take a lot more precautions to stop people from cheating. I get it’s a comedy and supposed to be ridiculous…but some things are just too much. I mean people more concerned with a test than with them being alive long enough for that test to even matter is a bit silly.

The second episode was actually less impressive. The characters are hardly introduced, the situation is vague, and the characters use various odd and somewhat ridiculous techniques to cheat. They show some ofit as ifit were outside and try to make it like an action anime when the characters are actually still sitting in desks. I'm not laughing. I'm not interested. I'm thinking I never want to watch another episode of this....ever!

Of course this is the only anime this particular studio has made so I suppose expecting too much would be just as silly as the show.

(The above is simply my opinion. You are free to agree or disagree. If you don't like it, write your own review or just forget you ever read mine)

Mareep's avatar
Dec 23, 2016

+ animation

- the rest

Btw what the hell was that end? I hope I got it wrong.

...

WTF did I just watch...

Mendacious's avatar
Oct 23, 2016

Taking exams and need to blow off steam

Only watched the first episode of this one. The title “Cheating Craft” sounded interesting, attracted me. This is pure over the top parody of a present obsession with acing the exams to get the best jobs for life in Japan. I am not sure how genuine this phenomenon is in Japan. Do the students with best grades gain exclusive access to the best career positions?

I do agree that our contemporary society has developed an unhealthy obsession with a very specific type of education. In the more distant past the majority of people trained up through apprenticeships for most kinds of work. Today it is all technology institutes, colleges and universities. I think it is leading to a narrowing of abilities and a growing distance from work related activities.

As for the anime, there is nothing too specific to say about it. Animation, voice acting, music track is all below mediocre. It is about some students doing and cheating at exams. The comedy is pretty situational. You will get a chuckle or two from it.

FullmetalDragon's avatar
Dec 23, 2016

-_- What the hell was this?

So Cheating Craft starts off pretty randomly. It is essentially battles in the form of exams. The hilarity is very hit and miss, although I guess it's interesting in how unique a concept it is (I certainly haven't seen anything quite like it). About half way through it decides to include some actual plot development, but that lasts all of 2 episodes before it's right back where it started. Only by that point you're pretty bored of the same plot over and over.

Characterwise, this is nothing special. All the characters are unremarkable and I felt pretty indifferent about most of them. There was a couple I thought could be decent, but since literally none of the characters in this series get any kind of development, I didn't really care about them at all.

The OP and ED were ok, although I felt it was pretty unnecessary to have both, given the episodes are only 10 minutes each.

Overall, Cheating Craft was a pretty big mess. Not the worst I've seen, and certainly if you're interested give the first couple of episodes a go. It stops being any good after that point...

Justhappydog's avatar
Nov 4, 2016

*Straight outta my blog*

*This review is based on the first five episodes , will be updated later hopefully*

With a fancy title , cheating craft has attracted a lot of people to watch it.  This anime is all about the gags which is average and not that funny but if you are expecting a serious growing story plot , you may not get it. Basically in each episodes they have exams on different terrains such as in airplanes , oceans , etc. And dont expect this anime to be realistic since its not. Suddenly a terrain appears , writing exams in -200°C , and more. By far from watching the first 5 episodes , i honestly think this is kinda good. Just for the comedy and well.....action , you can watch this. And dont expect realistic cheating ways which you can use in real life.... haha. Each episodes are 12 min each which is a drawback. And they constantly use chibis here and there which i think its ok. And there seems to be a reason why the main protagonist ,  Momei joined the most prestigious university in the country. They are probably keeping it so that we will be eager to know what happened.

In the first episode , they briefly explain how the exam system works and how hard it is to live a normal school life. There are two types of people , the Learning type or the 'L-type' who learns themselves , never cheat. And there is the Cheating type or the 'C-type' who cheats from the 'L-type'. And when less people pass , the more benefit they get. So all the 'C-types' are your enemies and there is always a clash between them. The students uses fancy techniques to cheat and some are cool. This is a good anime to watch and i dont know why people hate it.

8.5/10 animation