Chaos;HEAd

truthillusion's avatar By truthillusion on Mar 10, 2010

- This review contains spoilers. If you haven't seen this anime, read with caution. The Story section DOES indeed contain major spoilers. The rest contains phrases or recollections that might be considered spoilers -

Chaos;Head was an anime I was really looking forward too since I had read it's synopsis. As soon as I began watching the series, I was instantly hooked and couldn't be stopped from finishing it. This is one of the few animes that I've watched all in one day. This was one of those animes that always ended each of it's episodes with a major cliffhanger, which would horribly irritate me if I didn't find out what happened next as soon as possible, which is probably what created the drive to keep watching it non-stop. Now, to business.

I) Animation:

Some of the fine details that were put into the show are truly a great thing to behold. I can remember a scene where the main character, Takumi, is in a park with the character Yua and you can see Takumi leaning against a railing that separates him from a river. The art and detail put into making this scene bought out the true artistic ability of the animators. Some more of the great animation can be shown through their precise creation of figurines that Takumi owns; by no means did they have to be as detailed as they were to look acceptable for the show, but the animators went to the length of making them posses some realistic traits from all the fine details. Some other examples would be Ayase's gothic styled dress, showing Takumi's lack of sleep from facial features and the looks of the Di-Swords. Overall, the animation was great and easy on the eyes.

II) Sound:

The opening theme song was somewhat typical and boring. It was like hearing a new song every time watching a new episode since it didn't hold any kind of significant sound that was enjoyable. While on the topic of songs, the ending theme ("Super Special" I think it's called) was very bad. The opening line hit me like nails on a chalkboard. The themes aside, most of the female characters have the typical, unrealistic voices. My primary complaint on the voices is the voice belonging to Ayase. She's by far too monotone. No matter her emotion, her voice expressions are exactly the same tones every time; which would seem a tad off since she's supposed to be the vocalist of a band that's getting famous (reference to the story). Shogun's voice doesn't match the state of his body. His body appears all worn and old, but his voice is that of a chipper young boy in his teens. It's a bothersome thing to me and I'm sure other people would/will feel the same.

III) Characters:

The only character of Chaos;Head that I feel has originality in their characteristics is the main character, Takumi. Takumi is basically a hikikomori, he shuts himself off of the world as much as possible so he can be alone with his anime and computer games. He has delusions of an anime character he loves that he refers to as his "wife" and can not interact socially in the slightest without wishing he were in a "two-dimensional" world versus the "three-dimensional" reality. His character slowly changes over time, typically because other people have forced him into interacting with them, and he eventually comes to terms with who he is and his place in the real world.

Every other character in this anime are the typical anime clichés.

IV) Story:

This story is highly original, so I feel. Chaos;Head, overall, deals with how the senses are based off of electrical signals and how people can manipulate these electrical signals to force them to have a delusion, and how there are people (referred to as "Gigalomaniacs") are able to bend these delusions into reality.

It starts off with our beloved Takumi on one of his online games, when all of a sudden, someone under the name of "Shogun" sends Takumi picture links form the internet. When Takumi views these images he is shocked to find that they are of a brutal murder. The next day, Takumi ends up stumbling into the very murder scene as it was happening (the images being on the 28th of the month, but the actual murder on the 29th). At first, what seems as a wonderful supernatural murder mystery, it actually gets twisted into an evil corporation trying to manipulate the ability of Gigalomaniacs (the people who are able to bring their delusions into reality) to reach a God-like state. As overly clichéd as that may sound, it actually fit into place quite well.

Where the story lacked was proper explanations and that everything moved far too fast. At one point, a detective in the show starts explaining how gravity starts to mesh with biorhythms, and from which can alter your personality. This theory is so poorly explained that it might be hard for people who don't have past knowledge of these theories (in real life, that is) to be able to properly understand. Another example would be at the end where the group of girls decided to go to the river that's under the city to help them in the final victory. It was just randomly explained and never previously mentioned in the show, like, "Oh hey, ya' know, we can just go to that underground river to use." There's no back story to this river that I can recall. A lot of points where a great "realization" or plot twist takes place aren't fully explained or all the details seemed rushed. If they took everything a tad bit slower and tacked on an episode or two, they may have been able to create such a great story that'd flow wonderfully.

V) Overall:

In conclusion, Chaos;Head has a wonderful idea of a premise and plot, but poorly delivers it. A lot of the characters are complete run-of-the-mill clichés (both through characteristics, voices and even through how they're animated). Chaos;Head is a great idea and I wish that the creators took more time to work with it. Because of this, I have to give Chaos;Head a 6.5/10.

Raneman's avatar By Raneman on Dec 12, 2010

It looks like japan anime industry is for hikkikomori. Stencil character types, pseudo-scientific story and lack of logic in character's actions. Yeah, it was kinda fun watching this anime, but its all. Just like eating a same food evey day. Hovewer, it is a perfect anime as a pipeline produkt.

carloswrite22's avatar By carloswrite22 on Jun 21, 2012

I came across this anime in FYE because the box set looked cool (yet overpriced).  So, having nothing to watch, I quickly went online to Hulu to watch it.

The first half of this anime is pretty good.  It goes from murder mystery to . . . action with swords?  Yup, I said it.  Once the murderer is found and everything is sorted out, there are these action sequences which seem boring and over-used.  The plot takes a tremendous turn.  It gets so confusing at times that it just makes me want to pull out my own hair.  And for some reason the anime made me uncomfortable . . . don't know exactly why.  The plot goes from intriging to the idea of jesus-when-will-this-anime-end.

The characters are cardboard except for the main character, which whom I surprisingly am fond of for some reason.  Yet toward the end he does get kind of whiney.  The rest of the characters are just . . . there.

There's not too much to say about this anime.  I don't recommend it to anyone.  Don't whatch it!

Ps.  I'll probably rewrite/fix/dress up this review later.  It's late and I need my rest!

Dasaru's avatar By Dasaru on Dec 16, 2010

**WARNING: I am not biased with this rating.** I would just like to clear that up before I start on what may seem like a judgemental rant. I usally rate anime strictly, but I typically give them the benefit of the doubt most of the time. The only reason that I rated this a 2.5 out of 10 was because I had to be fair to this - as much as I hate this.

**If you doubt anything that I say about this, then I suggest you take a look at my anime ratings. This is the lowest rated anime (that I've rated) by far.

There are no spoilers in this review. Or shall I say: There isn't anything to be spoiled at all...

I am forgiving. Really, really forgiving. To the point of giving even bad anime decent ratings. But not this one. Before I go on a rant and tell you why I hate it, I'll just give you the short part first.

The reason why this is #1 worst anime of all time in my opinion is simply because of one reason: The anime had the best concept of all time - but fucked it up...

Bad.

Really, really bad.

This anime is nothing but giant cliff hangers with zero content. It is all fluff. This must have been the best fluffed up anime that I've ever watched. You expect something awesome is going to happen, but it doesn't. Nothing happens. Actually, stuff does happen... but it is the most normal and predictable crap that I've ever seen...

Every. Single. Time!

I am a huge fan of Code Geass (as I'm sure a lot of people are). I really like to compare this anime to Code Geass. Why? Because this anime could have been as great as Code Geass. No wait... It could have been better. Seriously. Chas;Head could have been one of the greatest animes of all time.

Every time Chaos;Head would get to the point of doing something awesome, I would literally squeel with joy! I would get that really exciting feeling on the inside that something awesome was going to happen! But it doesn't come! It simply doesn't have anything to show for itself! There are no plot twists. None.

Anyway, down to the core reviews:

Story 1/10:

The only reason that I rated this a 1 was because it actually had a story. Literally. THIS WINS BY DEFAULT... Don't be fooled though! If you watch it, you'll probably see some form of a story. But in reality it's all just fluff. Nothing is really new or fresh. The presentation of this anime is outstanding... I mean, it even got me to watch the entire anime... But when the anime was comming to the end... I asked myself, "How are they going to finish this anime in just 2 more episodes!?" It literally half-asses the ending.

The ending is so predictable, it will make you as angry as I am... I thought that the ending was going to be the last salvation of this series. I thought it was going to rise up - do something amazing and be imprinted in my memory as something I can look back on... But I'm afraid that just wasn't the case...

I can't believe I actually rated something a 1. I literally never do that...

Animation 8.5/10:

Ok, I'll be fair. The animation is sexy. Not legendary artwork or anything, but the graphics are excellent for the genre. Visually stunning. Has great camera angles, shots and views. I really enjoyed the artwork produced and any computer generated imagry. Flowed together really nicely. This is probably one of the reasons why I decided to watch this anime. I really regret it though. The animation cannot save such a terrible story I'm afraid.

Sound 7/10:

Nothing that I really take paricular attention to. So I guess nothing really stood out as bad or good. I would say it was decent quality and had some good sound effects.

Characters 5/10:

A few steriotypical characters, but a lot of new and fresh ones. I really liked the main character of this anime. Unfortunately, the characters don't grow. There is absolutely no change in character from beginning to the end. I actually sensed that there might have been a slight change - but they really don't go into detail. One moment the characters are put through a problem - but afterwards, they just look tired. No real change in emotion or action. This is rated a 5 because the flavor of some of the characters is different than most anime. But just like the story, the characters really don't have much content.

Overall 2.5/10:

This anime is not worth your time.

If you're looking for a quick anime-fix and/or filler anime to watch - This isn't it. Even if you're really bored and this looks really interesting - just don't do it. It'll make you feel angry at this anime.

This anime will literally crush your dreams and kick you in the nuts. We all fantisize about what is going to happen next in a story, what kinds of twists and turns it'll take, who will end up dating who, and what the villians plan on doing next... But this anime... this anime takes those ideas and puts them to shame.

I can't defend this. I just can't... I'll leave this rant with a list of other things to compare this anime to.

THIS ANIME IS LIKE...

• When your friend wins the lottery, gives you a credit card, and says to buy anything you'd like. You go to spend something and realize it only has $3 on it.
  • When you wait 45 minutes in line to buy tickets for a movie just to be told they're sold out.
  • When you order a cheeseburger with extra cheese and they hand you a burger with no cheese.
  • When your friends are throwing an awesome party and they tell you that you arn't invited.
  • When you forget to adjust your clock for daylight savings time and you end up missing a really great event.
  • When you score your first touchdown in the NFL just to realize that you're in the wrong end zone.
  • When you conduct a meeting with 10 or more people just to realize later that your zipper was undone.

I dedicate my first anime review to this one. May this anime RIP.

8.5/10 animation
2.5/10 overall
MDHTR's avatar By MDHTR on Nov 30, 2009

I mostly decide if I like an anime after the opening music video and the first episode.

I don't like this one.

Also I would like to add these tags to it:

- harem

- otaku

- ecchi

- annoying characters

- apocalyptic

I'm apologizing to those who liked this thing. It's simply not my taste.