Chaos;HEAd

Dasaru's avatar By Dasaru on Dec 16, 2010

**WARNING: I am not biased with this rating.** I would just like to clear that up before I start on what may seem like a judgemental rant. I usally rate anime strictly, but I typically give them the benefit of the doubt most of the time. The only reason that I rated this a 2.5 out of 10 was because I had to be fair to this - as much as I hate this.

**If you doubt anything that I say about this, then I suggest you take a look at my anime ratings. This is the lowest rated anime (that I've rated) by far.

There are no spoilers in this review. Or shall I say: There isn't anything to be spoiled at all...

I am forgiving. Really, really forgiving. To the point of giving even bad anime decent ratings. But not this one. Before I go on a rant and tell you why I hate it, I'll just give you the short part first.

The reason why this is #1 worst anime of all time in my opinion is simply because of one reason: The anime had the best concept of all time - but fucked it up...

Bad.

Really, really bad.

This anime is nothing but giant cliff hangers with zero content. It is all fluff. This must have been the best fluffed up anime that I've ever watched. You expect something awesome is going to happen, but it doesn't. Nothing happens. Actually, stuff does happen... but it is the most normal and predictable crap that I've ever seen...

Every. Single. Time!

I am a huge fan of Code Geass (as I'm sure a lot of people are). I really like to compare this anime to Code Geass. Why? Because this anime could have been as great as Code Geass. No wait... It could have been better. Seriously. Chas;Head could have been one of the greatest animes of all time.

Every time Chaos;Head would get to the point of doing something awesome, I would literally squeel with joy! I would get that really exciting feeling on the inside that something awesome was going to happen! But it doesn't come! It simply doesn't have anything to show for itself! There are no plot twists. None.

Anyway, down to the core reviews:

Story 1/10:

The only reason that I rated this a 1 was because it actually had a story. Literally. THIS WINS BY DEFAULT... Don't be fooled though! If you watch it, you'll probably see some form of a story. But in reality it's all just fluff. Nothing is really new or fresh. The presentation of this anime is outstanding... I mean, it even got me to watch the entire anime... But when the anime was comming to the end... I asked myself, "How are they going to finish this anime in just 2 more episodes!?" It literally half-asses the ending.

The ending is so predictable, it will make you as angry as I am... I thought that the ending was going to be the last salvation of this series. I thought it was going to rise up - do something amazing and be imprinted in my memory as something I can look back on... But I'm afraid that just wasn't the case...

I can't believe I actually rated something a 1. I literally never do that...

Animation 8.5/10:

Ok, I'll be fair. The animation is sexy. Not legendary artwork or anything, but the graphics are excellent for the genre. Visually stunning. Has great camera angles, shots and views. I really enjoyed the artwork produced and any computer generated imagry. Flowed together really nicely. This is probably one of the reasons why I decided to watch this anime. I really regret it though. The animation cannot save such a terrible story I'm afraid.

Sound 7/10:

Nothing that I really take paricular attention to. So I guess nothing really stood out as bad or good. I would say it was decent quality and had some good sound effects.

Characters 5/10:

A few steriotypical characters, but a lot of new and fresh ones. I really liked the main character of this anime. Unfortunately, the characters don't grow. There is absolutely no change in character from beginning to the end. I actually sensed that there might have been a slight change - but they really don't go into detail. One moment the characters are put through a problem - but afterwards, they just look tired. No real change in emotion or action. This is rated a 5 because the flavor of some of the characters is different than most anime. But just like the story, the characters really don't have much content.

Overall 2.5/10:

This anime is not worth your time.

If you're looking for a quick anime-fix and/or filler anime to watch - This isn't it. Even if you're really bored and this looks really interesting - just don't do it. It'll make you feel angry at this anime.

This anime will literally crush your dreams and kick you in the nuts. We all fantisize about what is going to happen next in a story, what kinds of twists and turns it'll take, who will end up dating who, and what the villians plan on doing next... But this anime... this anime takes those ideas and puts them to shame.

I can't defend this. I just can't... I'll leave this rant with a list of other things to compare this anime to.

THIS ANIME IS LIKE...

• When your friend wins the lottery, gives you a credit card, and says to buy anything you'd like. You go to spend something and realize it only has $3 on it.
  • When you wait 45 minutes in line to buy tickets for a movie just to be told they're sold out.
  • When you order a cheeseburger with extra cheese and they hand you a burger with no cheese.
  • When your friends are throwing an awesome party and they tell you that you arn't invited.
  • When you forget to adjust your clock for daylight savings time and you end up missing a really great event.
  • When you score your first touchdown in the NFL just to realize that you're in the wrong end zone.
  • When you conduct a meeting with 10 or more people just to realize later that your zipper was undone.

I dedicate my first anime review to this one. May this anime RIP.

8.5/10 animation
2.5/10 overall
xcvb2003's avatar By xcvb2003 on Feb 7, 2014

It was an okayish kinda goodish anime, know what I mean.
The main character was kinda interesting seeing as he felt like a normal extra anime and gaming nerd. Wasn't that likeable though.
The story is what was really interesting and could have been a great thing but the execution was not good. And being a 12 episode anime, it took way tooo long to start things up and then wrapped everything up in a rush.
I really was interested in the first few episodes and was really wanting to see where the story was heading but sadly, it didn't pan out well.
And other than the main character, no other character was given any real closure or development. It was just feeling like a typical Harem.

Overall all, I would say, it was an Ok anime with some good parts in it.
6.5/10.

angelsreviews's avatar By angelsreviews on Jul 21, 2013

This is a really creepy show. I never know what is real or what isn’t with this, it seems to be all in Takumi head. I can understand why they call it Chaos;HEAd, his head is all screwed up. The guy seriously thinks a anime character is real and his girlfriend, he lives in a strange box on top of a roof, and just keeps being a whiny little prick for almost the whole show.

I got confused easily in the beginning, it was odd and out of place almost. I do have a question though, a lot of shows seem to have the main character that’s really off and then he ends up being the center of attention for all the girls. And of course, they all aren’t what people call normal. This is the base of all Harems and yet I still cannot get into it with the character. The strange thing is, Takumi sounds a bit like a couple people on DesuDes in his love for anime and such. He even talks about studying the director and writers which is pretty awesome. I like the fact that they really seem to add that part to the show.

When they say Psychological Thriller, they really mean it. It’s been making me wonder why a lot of these types are being dubbed now. I found this one on the Funimation Youtube account or I would of probably not heard about it until one of DesuDes looked into it. The whole show if a mind fuck, seriously. I watched with I had no sleep so I might be making it worse then it is on that account but really….

The artwork is really good, very crisp like normal shows in this time. While looking at all these shows, it’s hard to say anything about artwork that looks almost exactly the same as every other show that’s out there at around the same time.

The music for the ending is a little odd, and I don’t get it even if it’s a good beat. The opening is much better sounding then the ending and seems to give a better feel to the show. The English dub is pretty good and the girls don’t seem bothersome except for his sister. She is just plain annoying, like Eimi Ohba from Comic Party.

Komirai's avatar By Komirai on Oct 2, 2012

I went into viewing ChäoS;HEAd without a great deal of expectations. Having read through many of the reviews and hearing some firsthand accounts on it I got the impression that it was going to be an average at best experience. However this was a show that I had been very interested in seeing since it started airing. For me it’s a great example of not believing everything you hear.

The story starts out as a pretty interesting mystery involving a number of grisly murders and a high school boy who believes he has witnessed one of them and is being fed information about future killings before they happen. The boy is Takumi, a severely disturbed and socially awkward individual who is terrorized by delusions and paranoia. The plot feels genuinely creepy at times but doesn’t manage to sustain this over the course of the entire series. Because of Takumi's delusions the viewer is not always sure what is real or what isn’t. It does take some significant detours and while it’s not the smartest thing I have ever seen, in my opinion it managed to be interesting through the end. However one might feel about how the story changed focus over the course of the show, I did feel that it ended very nicely with most of the loose ends tied off.

Takumi's character for me was extremely interesting. Sure he is a stereotype of a socially awkward otaku, but what makes him a great character is his personality. He is an extremely disturbed person. His inability at times to know what is real or what isn’t made him fascinating. I enjoyed how he coped with his fear of others by imagining his favorite anime character as a companion. I felt the story did a great job in developing him and having him overcome his fears and questions about his own existence.

Sadly as good as I felt Takumi was as a character, the rest of the cast is quite uninspired. The girls all fall into the usual patterns that we see in every anime, from the moe sugar sweet best girlfriend to the brainy and to the cold hearted swordsman. Still despite this I still enjoyed most of them, particularly Yua and even though they weren’t that groundbreaking. The villains are equally stale from an originality standpoint. Their motivations are 2-dimensional and boring and really were a poor foil overall for the heroes to overcome.

The artwork is good for the most part but a little inconsistent at times. I felt the colors were kind of flat and the styles seemed awfully dated looking. In addition the character models felt.. familiar. It didn’t seem like there was any originality in designing them and some of them actually looked like they were ripped directly out of other anime. I did like the music, the opening was good and I felt set the tone, but the ending while a good song felt out of place considering the subject matter of many of the episodes.

Despite a number of faults I just can’t say that I didn’t like this show. It’s not great at anything it does. The thriller elements of the plot fall a bit flat and the action scenes really aren’t that interesting either. My interest in the main character and a decent storyline made this an enjoyable experience for me. I would recommend it, however if you looking for a superb suspense thriller or a great action you’re probably going to be disappointed.

7.3/10 overall
XxZeroeZxX's avatar By XxZeroeZxX on Apr 5, 2011

Not so super special (unless you mean... )

First of all, I should preface this by saying this isn't my usual genre of choice. So why, on my long list of series that I'm intending to watch one day did I choose to watch this series now? You can probably guess it's the easy answer... the supposed 2nd season is coming up in the Spring, Steins;Gate (at least that's what I thought, though that is not actually the case). But moving back to the issue at hand, a lot has been said here on the website about this series. Frankly, most of it is accurate, but I still feel a bit too harsh. So more than anything, this review is a different perspective on what you may have already heard about this series. One nice thing about reviewing this series is that it perfectly illustrates what I mean when I often differentiate story and plot in my reviews. The story of this series is rather poor; however, I found the plot to be very engaging for the most part. In my definition, which I'm not saying is the only definition by any means, the story consists of the background story and the motivation of the characters as well as any thematic trends. In other words all the inner workings of the series. Often the story is not in direct highlight of a series (as is the case here). The plot then refers to the progression of the events which take place within the story. This is why the plot is so critical to a series as it is always in focus even when the story is not. So in the case of Chaos;Head, I found the story to be rather flat and shallow with some exception. The political corruption theme seemed unnecessary and forced, the background story with regards to the main character, Takumi, was lacking as it was not well-enough addressed and remains unclear, and the motivation of the characters outside of Takumi was also very much lacking and shallow. However, one thematic trend that I did like because it was a change-of-pace from most anime was that of pro-individualism. Most anime condemn individualism as purely selfishness and always emphasize selflessness. But let's be honest, all that goody two-shoes crap gets old after a while. It's refreshing to see someone ball up and take that me-versus-the-world mentality. Now granted, the ending deemphasized this theme (which is one reason why I didn't like the ending), but it was present at several critical junctures of the series. And as I said the plot of Chaos;Head is very good for the majority of the series. What this speaks to is that you can't put this series down. Once you start it, you have to finish it. Pretty much every ep ends in a significant cliffhanger. Usually characters go through a rise and fall, but with Takumi it's the opposite. Through the first half of the series or so, Takumi falls deeper and deeper into the depths of his psychosis and dementia (or delusions). He becomes a tortured soul, so much so that there's one ep in which he's just constantly asking for people to kill him. Needless to say this was a very eerie sequence. But after what I guess you would call the 'anti'-climax, Takumi picks himself up for the sake of the girl he loves. And sure, it's corny and the fight scenes leave a lot to be desired, but as I've already expressed I liked the thematic trend here. There's not much to say about the other characters in this series. They all severely lack depth, though some of their backstories were pretty powerful. It's probably been brought up in all the other reviews on the website that the supplemental characters pretty much conform to the standard anime archetypes. However, they neglect to mention that this was intentional. After all, Takumi is a serious otaku so the fact that the supplemental characters of the series were shallow stock anime archetypes is supposed to be ironic. This is even brought up in one of the major delusions that Takumi has in the final battle. Now one can argue whether this sort of irony was appropriate in a psychological thriller such as this, in fact it's probably not. Most of the attempts at comedy in this series were really lame. One final note I'd like to make is that I didn't like the technique of beginning the series with the final scene as that is just such an old cliché. So overall, the bombastic nature of this series fails to impress at any level of depth, but on the surface this is an entertaining series if you let it be so 6 out of 10.