Chainsaw Maid

Kari5's avatar By Kari5 on Nov 7, 2011

Chainsaw maid is a grusome claymation that I really didn't enjoy. It tells a simple story of a group of zombies attacking a father, daughter, and their maid who protects them by killing all the zombies (via chainsaw). I don't like claymation, but it was effective because I was disgusted by the gory kills. Unfortunately, I found them a bit too gross to be enjoyable. Overall, a waste of time.

MVortex's avatar By MVortex on Nov 20, 2011

Why such a high review I hear you cry?

Well, it's because of one shot, but I'll get back to that later.

The story in Chainsaw maid leaves much to be desired, but does at least show that zombies are always blood stained because they vomit their organs before becoming zombies, that clears up a lot of problems.

The animation is to be honest, really rather good, although not a smooth ~24fps, it doesn't lack in detail of characters or gore, however the rooms and sets are all cardboard cutouts.

The sound is mildly innovative, using music to illustrate speech and actions, which although used many times in other media is still somewhat refreshing.

The characters themselves are rather one dimensional, apart from an apparent affair the maid is having with the husband.

However overall I gave this an 8, because of the one sequence of the maid waking up and breaking the glass. Well more like just the breaking of the glass and showing it on the floor. The music cuts out and the sound is sharp leading to a shot the I feel epitomises the zombie survival genre. I couldn't have thought of a better scene of the same length to convey so much (which might be unintentional, but giving the benefit of the doubt).

That one sequence = 10/10

The rest = 4/10 max

Thrawn's avatar By Thrawn on Nov 11, 2011

Story: Not the table, not on the table, not on the- aww.... and that's how it truly starts, after the near striptease. Obviously this is high on plot, and the title only goes to further it, and obviously everything after the striptease is a load of shit, which this would be if it weren't so unintentionally hilarious. The violence is righteously over the top, senseless and chainsaw-fueled, for extreme gore and extremely questionable fun.

The premise is what it is; Chainsaw Maid, and you shouldn't expect much else from that.

Animation: A whole new definition of puking your guts out, to hilarious results. Again, questionably. It's claymation in it's gory glory as blood, guts and purple brain matter splatter and lay about as the carnage ensues.

Sound: Silent movie a'la mode! I got a wicked laugh at the subtitles for some reason. Apart from the tweeting from a random bird, there's the chainsaw, beatings and any sounds associated with violence. It does what it's suppose to do.

Characters: Chainsaw Maid has a chainsaw and hatred for zombies, and is thus the most well-developed character. Special mention goes to the fat pedo shirtless zombie, who bursts through the child's bedroom window. And the dad who watches the maid strip. Yeah. Who cares about characters, the maid has a chainsaw! That is worth points alone.

Overall: Is it bad? Yes. Is it funny? Questionably so but then again, enjoying this is questionable. It's packed with gore, tasteless violence, absolutely no redeeming value and it's fun in a disturbing violent way. So bad it's good, Chainsaw Maid is simply a work of blood.

Meepyy's avatar By Meepyy on Jan 15, 2012

This short is actually pretty bad.  It is oddly rather amusing for some strange, twisted, reason.

The claymation is choppy (ahha...) but the details in the models are well done.

Overall I am rather impressed with the gore.  The way the blood moved and splattered for a claymation short was rather impressive, at least to me.

The characters personality wise were rather dull.  The father and daughter seemed to just be there for the sake of being there. The maid was really the only character with some development.  Also the father got bitten by a zombie why is he still human?

And let's not forget the obligatory maid-having-an-affair-with-the-dad followed by the, also obligatory, I-am-taking-my-shirt-off-but-wait-there-is-a-knock-at-the-door.

Probably would of given it about a 3 or 4/10 but there is something about a maid wielding a chainsaw that saved it.

This is my first review, sorry if it's not very good...

JAhU's avatar By JAhU on Jun 23, 2014

Moved from my blog:

Sometimes after watching an anime I'm asking myself one important question:

"WTF did I just watch?"

Chainsaw Maid is one of those anime. Well there is a huge ammount of similar animations floating around the internet (not necessarily Japanese ones), but what makes CM stand apart from those is the insane amount of gore. In case you wonder what I am talking about: Chainsaw Maid is a claymation (stop-motion cartoon done using plasticine) on top of that its a b-movie with zombies, a maid and a chainsaw.

While it deserves recognition for being an attempt to do a b-movie using plasticine, it is extremely gory and it IS very disturbing. When I was watching this short I probably made a face similar to the one the father character had when he saw what was left of the zombies in the final scene. I can't say I enjoyed watching it and unless you want to feel disturbed I recommend staying away from this anime.