Chainsaw Maid

on

"Chainsaw Maid" doesn't even get the chainsaw until 4 minutes into the 6 minute short. There is no excuse for this.

on

This is probably Takena's best animation I have seen so far. The animation is one of the better ones, and this one is relatively long compared to some of his others as well. However, like all of Takena's other animations, it is still bad.

The animation remains a choppy clay animation

The sound effects are pretty meh, but not too bad

The characters have nothing to them. You do not know the reason for their actions, only that they have actions.

The story is mildly entertaining, but relies mainly on shock factor. The purpose is to shock you, that is all there is to it. It was never meant to be a well written story anyways.

Overall it is a 2/10, which is better than what I gave to most of Takena's other animaations.

Moved from my blog:

Sometimes after watching an anime I'm asking myself one important question:

"WTF did I just watch?"

Chainsaw Maid is one of those anime. Well there is a huge ammount of similar animations floating around the internet (not necessarily Japanese ones), but what makes CM stand apart from those is the insane amount of gore. In case you wonder what I am talking about: Chainsaw Maid is a claymation (stop-motion cartoon done using plasticine) on top of that its a b-movie with zombies, a maid and a chainsaw.

While it deserves recognition for being an attempt to do a b-movie using plasticine, it is extremely gory and it IS very disturbing. When I was watching this short I probably made a face similar to the one the father character had when he saw what was left of the zombies in the final scene. I can't say I enjoyed watching it and unless you want to feel disturbed I recommend staying away from this anime.

on

This short is actually pretty bad.  It is oddly rather amusing for some strange, twisted, reason.

The claymation is choppy (ahha...) but the details in the models are well done.

Overall I am rather impressed with the gore.  The way the blood moved and splattered for a claymation short was rather impressive, at least to me.

The characters personality wise were rather dull.  The father and daughter seemed to just be there for the sake of being there. The maid was really the only character with some development.  Also the father got bitten by a zombie why is he still human?

And let's not forget the obligatory maid-having-an-affair-with-the-dad followed by the, also obligatory, I-am-taking-my-shirt-off-but-wait-there-is-a-knock-at-the-door.

Probably would of given it about a 3 or 4/10 but there is something about a maid wielding a chainsaw that saved it.

This is my first review, sorry if it's not very good...

on

Why such a high review I hear you cry?

Well, it's because of one shot, but I'll get back to that later.

The story in Chainsaw maid leaves much to be desired, but does at least show that zombies are always blood stained because they vomit their organs before becoming zombies, that clears up a lot of problems.

The animation is to be honest, really rather good, although not a smooth ~24fps, it doesn't lack in detail of characters or gore, however the rooms and sets are all cardboard cutouts.

The sound is mildly innovative, using music to illustrate speech and actions, which although used many times in other media is still somewhat refreshing.

The characters themselves are rather one dimensional, apart from an apparent affair the maid is having with the husband.

However overall I gave this an 8, because of the one sequence of the maid waking up and breaking the glass. Well more like just the breaking of the glass and showing it on the floor. The music cuts out and the sound is sharp leading to a shot the I feel epitomises the zombie survival genre. I couldn't have thought of a better scene of the same length to convey so much (which might be unintentional, but giving the benefit of the doubt).

That one sequence = 10/10