Chaika: The Coffin Princess

Alt titles: Hitsugi no Chaika

roriconfan's avatar By on Jun 26, 2014

Notice: This review covers both seasons of this anime.

This show seems at first to be like a Dungeons and Dragons campaign, about a group of adventurers going from one area to another, gathering artifacts, while fighting monsters or other adventurers, and eventually taking part in a sinister plan that threatens a whole empire. At the same time, the premise of the story is a subversion of the classic epic fantasy formula, since it begins where normal epic fantasy ends. The evil wizard is already defeated, the heroes won, their leader became a king, and the world is at peace.

The catchy part is how many years later, lots of factions are discontent with the king and are ready to go to war, while the heroes who had nothing to do in times of peace become shadows of their former selves. At the same time, the protagonists of the show are close to bad guys, mercenaries who want to defeat the heroes, and begin a new war, so they can profit from the chaos and death.

With such a brilliant get-up, we could have a masterpiece if it was written and animated properly… and we didn’t because the damn thing is a light novel. Despite the occasional dark tones and creepy moments full of death and despair, nothing is taken seriously, the plot is running on convenience, and the author was more interested in making the characters quirky and gimmicky.

To its defense, if you see it only as a light action / adventure, it is actually pretty fun. Despite being based on light novels, there are no done to death Japanese high schools in it, most characters are adults instead of teenagers, and the setting is western medieval in looks with a weird mix of magic and technology. Superficially, it is doing a decent job at entreating a casual audience.

The early episodes had a fine introduction of main characters, making you care about them, while not forgetting to offer you lots of well animated action scenes. They have far more choreography, motion, and strategy than most fighting shonen do, with fancy visual effects which do not hide gore. In most shows when a monster dies it goes poof in stardust, but over here they are butchered to pieces and blood is splattered everywhere.

The protagonist is Tooru, who would be a great character if his behavior wasn’t so dry and the show was taking itself seriously. Despite having that bland personality all light novels protagonists suffer from, he is eons better than most of them, since he doesn’t want to protect the world or save the empire. He craves fighting and wants to constantly be in the middle of a battle instead of spending his life in peace.

The co-protagonist, and trademark of the show, is Chaika, a girl who has a very noble cause in mind. Being the daughter of the deceased evil wizard, she simply wants to give him a proper funeral by gathering his scattered remains. Combined with how she is also a powerful magic sniper, she could have been one of the very few respectable and dynamic female anime characters. And sadly she isn’t, because the author treats her like retarded goth loli maid that says silly things in broken Japanese and acts cute for the sake of pandering to the otakus.

Despite their shortcomings, these two make a fine duo and were more than enough to carry the whole show. I can’t say the same thing for other major characters, who were excessive baggage. Akari for example is Tooru’s sister. She has the same bland personality and the exact same fighting skills. Why is she in the story? So she can offer incest jokes. Because what kind of a light novel would we have if it wasn’t promoting incest?

Then there is Frederica, the loli dragon. She began as an adversary who wanted to kill them, but because the script is so lazily written, she becomes an ally out of nowhere and constantly saves them thereafter. Her inclusion to the team ruined most of the excitement in battles, since she can pretty much do anything. She has a dozen broken powers that offer convenient plot armor anytime the plot calls for it.

There is Niva, a loli weapon of mass destruction that again because the script is bullshit, gets emotions out of nowhere and goes against her programming, helping the protagonist instead of killing him.

And in case one kawaii Chaika wasn’t enough for you, there is also red Chaika. And then blue Chaika. And then fifty black Chaikas. Did you notice how I don’t mention any other male characters? Well, it’s because none deserve to be mentioned. The only memorable ones who have importance to the plot are all female, making the whole series to seem like a harem.

Ok, there is also the big bad of the story who is male, but he is such a joke of a villain that I hardly see him as a character. It’s Gaz, the dead evil wizard, who wanted his remains gathered, so he can be resurrected. Something that was obvious from the start but none of the characters in the story could see it coming. I mean, come on, they are only gathering the perfectly preserved remains of a powerful wizard for a funeral, there is nothing fishy about that. This guy is another Aizen. Everything is supposed to be part of his plan, he thinks everything is working in his favor, and yet he keeps making these completely retarded mistakes that lead to his obvious downfall. Despite all his bold claims and epic level powers, he never felt dangerous.

This show could have easily been so much more. You end up watching it for the action and the moe girls, with the danger of a new catastrophic war and the resurrection of the evil wizard being nothing but excuses to move from one fun adventure to another fun adventure. There is no real excitement and even the finale was done in a very rushed and messy way that doesn’t leave you satisfied. But look on the bright side. No Japanese high schools for once.

AnimeEmma99's avatar By on Sep 9, 2014

I like to make my review short, sweet, and down to the point. If you want to know about the plot of this anime -- read what anime-planet wrote. (I say it's not to shabby).

*Note: When I re-read over the description anime-planet has I suddenly realized that Toru is 20 years old and Chaika is 14... yikes...*

Animation: This is one of those animes where you can just sit back, relax, and enjoy the art. Though I must worn you: *Little Spoiler* in the first episode when they kill the unicorn I was NOT expecting that much blood..

Sound: Commenting on the voice actors (Subbed) they did a really amazing job on this one. I dont know what really stuck out for me other then just how emotion they seemed to feel.

Characters: I really didn't like how we got only a bit of Chaika's backstory and I didnt even realize Toru was in a war... But I do understand that theirs going to be another season -- so I'm hoping they will fill a bit more of the mystery then c:

Overall: This is a really good anime. I often found myself totally lost in the story. I can't help but bag on Chaika's character for being an airhead who's good with a gun but I try not to hate.

In the end, this anime won't be the best in the world because of its plot holes and how much the fan base wants to kill Toru's sister (OH I can't be the only one [Her name slipped my mind]). But it is a great watch, and I'm sure you will enjoy it just as much as I did. Even with just watching the first episode you get a feel for how the seasons going to be set up. Enjoy ! ^^

8.5/10 story
8.2/10 overall
Wicdz's avatar By on Jun 4, 2014

The premise of Chaika - The Coffin Princess is really well founded and easily delivers enough intrigue to get you hooked on the imaginary world. Picture a fallen empire in it's recovery stage: civil unrest, changing politics, and a growing danger of the whole system going haywire. Sounds promising, right? Even with this, the whole development aspect gets shattered by erratic pacing mistakes with a horrid mastering of the prologue - the time taken to explore the pictured world or protagonists was very scarse (at start); therefore, sympathy or stress about their actions will be absent at the most part. Not saying that you can’t do that in the first minutes of a show, but here the chemistry had to be more progressed before throwing them into battles or emotional events. At least having some sense of fighting hierarchy. Don't just jump on a powerful lord or the most fearsome beast of the wilderness in the first seconds of a show - a big majority of the viewers expect a build-up beforehand.

While we're still grasping the beginning of the show, then I have to say, I loved the idea of the stereotypical unicorn portrayed as a gruesome beast, and it makes for a great concept to expand on. Unfortunately, it is promptly forgotten and never mentioned again in the next episodes - why the heck can it talk? What’s the stuff it’s saying? Why can it use magic? etc.

If we expand on this even further, then we stumble upon the show’s more itchy mistakes - leaving the viewer to figure out how this world or its inhabitants have come to be; or postponing it until the point nobody cares about. It doesn’t have to be written in black and white how the universe functions, but it’s a common knowledge to throw little hints of the creatures or historical events to keep the viewer interested; otherwise, it causes the feeling of events having no impact or being unrelated filler content. For example, the Gundo type sniper rifles, not saying that they cannot exist in that fictional world, but the more interesting question would be how can you make such complex metal shapes, tubes, or spirals without modern day equipment as they require far more precise measurements than a blacksmith can handle (and don’t get me started on the telescopic sights). If the answer is magic, then I haven’t seen anyone be able to bend objects using it. That might seem like a minor complaint, but these things stack up until it gets quite daunting to view the show objectively.

Another fault that I encountered was the lack of suspense and originality. I agree, it had its moments, but in the long run there were too many great opportunities left out. Let’s consider the events in the second episode - the mansion robbery - Count Abarth eventually says that he’s one with the building and can control anything in it, so I immediately thought that the heroes must undergo the same influence as the chairs and swords - this could’ve lead to more intense turnout as the heroes would’ve been forced to use unconventional thinking to get out of the mess they’re in. Instead it takes just a couple of tricks to have Abarth cornered.

This, and several other scenes, made me really feel like everything before the 5th episode could’ve been left out or reduced significantly - skipping to the part where the anime improves and becomes fairly gratifying - characters gain more personality and depth, we receive some decent twists, and generally the show pumps out some hilarious situations.

Credit definitely goes for exploring the ageless dilemma of what’s right or wrong. Tackling the idea behind moral relativism, where there’s no rule that could distinguish between good or bad, only society's morals that label them so. Still, it felt pushed upon the show and had no strong reasoning behind it, in a sense, it would always follow the same pattern and drift from one perspective to another way too predictably - “Look! There’s a bad guy. But wait, after 5 minutes he gains some loveable characteristics, so he’s not such a bad fella.” If the characters would’ve subjected to a more complex development, then it’d’ve been a blast.

Never will I understand the reason for the transformation process the saboteur siblings have (or any other show that does a similar thing) - having to say several sentences in the middle of battle to enter a more powerful stage of yourself or do a magic trick seems far too inconvenient as you become an open target to fatal injuries, and if the rivals weren’t brain dead, then they could accomplish just that. While some of the wizards use too bizarre rituals, others can immediately use their magic without any fancy lines. You can interpret this as a take on forced teamwork, where a weak magician needs a couple comrades to perform his attacks and kinda sets the idea of them having more of a support role during battles. What makes a strong or weak wizard? Well, it must do something with the magic fuel the heroes mention now and then - but again it’s a misty thing as its effects on their users or spells are never addressed properly - we know that it has to be applied to or used with machines, structures for it to be working; and the more pure it is, the better (whatever that’s supposed to mean).

Furthermore, some of the magic seems just to be there for the sake of it. For instance, the siblings Iron-Blood Transformation doesn’t seem to make them noticeably stronger - Akari and Toru, our main protagonists, practically fight the same way, with the same passion, with or without it - only thing what makes a difference is the color of the hair. It doesn’t drain their energy, doesn’t require some sort of recharging, or have any sort of health effect - so why have it? Or better yet - why not use it all the time?

In the end, as much as I looked forward to this anime, as much as I prayed to the anime gods that it would hold up to its hype (since the setting didn’t have the pesky schools), the story left me somewhat disappointed - there was much more I’d’ve rather changed than it actually could deliver. That said, I still felt slight enjoyment watching it, mainly because of the cuteness Chaika would pop out and the humorous moments in between the foreseeable fights. If you haven’t seen anything the likes of “a group of teenagers with swords helping one of them retrieve something valuable” with a little hint of mistery or have a fetish for goth clothing, then it deserves a go.

CHARACTERS

Chaika - The Coffin Princess suffers from a similar syndrome that Sword Art Online did - it has protagonists that are ridiculously powerful and mentally perfect that they become utterly boring to root for after a viewing or two - you just start to stop caring after a while, because everything goes so well for them if they want it or not. In this case, it’s even better to have a cry-baby like Yukiteru from Mirai Nikki. Even if you hated him with the deepest corner of your heart, it is still interesting to watch Yuki~ suffer and cry every ten seconds, since he had some interesting and unique personality to associate or despise. In comparison, Toru and Akari are without any distinctive traits or characteristics that would set them apart. Their faultless nature is the source of their one dimensional behaviour and makes me think if their existence is even necessary, if not for the sake of the immersion gab.

Thus, Chaika, the little goth girl who barely can combine two words in a sentence, has plenty of character and faults. She has her own goals and opinion, and is arguably the biggest selling point of the show. You’ve to be rock hard not to be spellbound by her cuteness and mysterious existence. If only the show would take time to do a good development - from paranoid as she was in the beginning to more open hearted later on (instead of just switching it at one moment) - it would convince me that the anime puts thought into evolving her individuality. As for the idea of Chaika begin able to express herself only in a broken language, then it’s quite a unique take and should be done very carefully not to become annoying over time - it stays fresh during the first chapters, but nearing the end comes across ear tearing. To some extend, I’d’ve rather seen Chaika develop from a half-mute character to being able to speak properly (the show does actually offer a glimpse of how that could’ve turned).

Next up is Dominica.. no, no, I mean the dragon; em, or was it a cat? Basically we have an ex-pet dragon with a multiple personality disorder who can transform into anything it desires - of course, it chooses a little girl named Frederica. Again, I could complain how this idea has not been used to at least the third of its potential, but let’s rather highlight the fact that theses characters are without any decent goals in life or an interesting higher objective - devote a good part of your life glorifying your master, and the second you get a good kick back to reality and a bit of smart talk, you decide forget all about it. Really? It only shows how shallow their motives are, since it usually plays along the lines of affection or dumb views that they try to make sound smart - “I want war, because I have no job.” And if we strip down Frederica to the core, then you start to see that she’s not annoying, she’s not funny, she’s just there, and contributes very little to the show as I’d often forget about her existence, because she vanishes and reappears all the time. The sequences when Frederica unleashes her dragon form always sparks some-what decent intrigue, but the show deliberately tries to get Frederica out of the way before that can happen, as she's far too powerful for the story to progress.

ANIMATION

The only thing that is marginally frustrating in the artwork section is the architecture and interior design, most of the time, feels empty or lacking certain foulness. More or less that has to do with using a mix-mash of different styles (Rococo, Goth, Jugendstil), and it could be that I’m just not liking it as an choice of design in general as almost every character's outfit and looks feel uninspired and forgettable. Everything else is fairly well done: proportions of characters are kept the same during the whole thing, faces or body shapes don’t distort, and the flashy neon effects spice it up quite well - it looks good, but by no means does innovate in those aspects.

Aerythrin's avatar By on Jul 19, 2015

First and foremost, I went into Chaika without greatly high expectation as I hadn't heard too much about it, it was one of the least hyped shows airing at the moment.
And it turns out that it was also one of the most underrated!
So let's begin...

Story - 9/10.
The story of this anime may not look particularly original if you only read the synopsis, but getting into it it provides a really satisfying adventure-filled romp through various places. I didn't find the story either too simple or too complex, it was filled with just the right amount of twists and turns and didn't overcomplicate itself with overly wordy explanations, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't pay it full attention, as it's full of little details. What also made this enjoyable to me was the lack of fanservice - a nice refreshing change from a lot of the anime currently airing (similar to WIXOSS), which I think would have detracted from the story.

Art/Animation - 8/10.
Although it may not be the "standard" anime style, I really enjoyed the art of Chaika. It was refreshing and original, and I thought it gave the characters actual character. It looked really nice in HD and the colours were fitting - dark and gloomy when the mood called for it, and lighter neutral tones when needed. I also enjoyed the fact that Frederica (sp?) was not animated in 3D - this can often look clunky and out of place in anime, so it was nice to see. The 3D animation that there was (the air ships, some of the magic effects) actually fit in nicely with the overall art style and did not detract from the anime at all. The fights were also really well animated - they didn't look ridiculous, or impossible, instead going for a more believable style.

Sound - 8/10.
What I really liked about Chaika was not the sound, although a really good job was done with it. The opening theme, DARAKENA, is catchy and sets the mood for the anime quite well, and the background sounds within the anime were fitting - the mood was also set by little piano parts and punchier music. The characters' voices were excellent for their character - they could have made the mistake of making Chaika too "moe", and although her voice was pretty high pitched it never seemed to fall into that trap, at least not for me. It portrayed her apparent innocence very well. I also liked the fact that Akari's voice was a bit more mature sounding, as often in anime now even girls in their 20s sound like they are 5, which is frustrating.

Character - 9/10.
And here we come to my favourite part of Chaika. The cast of characters I thought was phenomenal - you have the two main characters, Toru and Akari, brother and sister but not by blood, Chaika, the coffin princess, Frederica the dragoon and a host of other side characters, each of which added something to the story. The interactions between the main characters are funny, sometimes adorable and always somewhat believable. Akari is obsessed with Toru, but it's a running gag that this show does not overuse so it doesn't come across as needy and annoying. And they both have an actual personality to support such gags, as opposed to them being essentially token characters. Chaika is a bit of a mystery - she seems innocent and pure, however throughout the story she is made to doubt herself and her purpose. I can't say much more without spoiling the story.
I found even the side characters had their place in Chaika, either adding another bit of comedy, seriousness and depth - the mysterious entity telling Chaika where to find remains, Gilette-sama and his band of followers and various other parties are met along the way and they all add a little something more to Chaika.

Enjoyment - 9/10.
Of course I very much enjoyed Chaika, I thought it was a fun, heartwarming and exciting experience. I fell in love with the characters very quickly, they're so well written and none of them seem out of place.

I would recommend this anime to anyone who enjoys a fun adventure story with bits of comedy and a lot of magic action.

StormrReaper's avatar By on Apr 3, 2015

Okay personal opinions of this series are.. "Damn this is good"
But as a critic *cough*

Meh it isn't awful its believeable for the most part... I mean pshhh remains for a funeral... crazier ideas in anime..

Animations
NOT CG so its good in my books

No big issues here....
Okay maybe the magic sounding like a pissed off bumblebee may give you a dafuq feel

I got attached to Chaika and Toru very quickly and was cheering them on very suprised

I loved this series...
Honestly very shocked I liked it....