Cardcaptor Sakura: The Movie 2: The Sealed Card

VivisQueen's avatar By VivisQueen on May 25, 2008

As the true sequel to the original series, Card Captor Sakura: The Movie 2: The Sealed Card continues the story of Sakura, Shaoran, and all the rest. As fans will remember, the series left a significant romantic subplot up in the air, which this movie finally attempts to resolve; and having lost none of its unique charm and sweet-natured humour, it does not disappoint in the least.

For those afraid that The Sealed Card is nothing more than an excuse for a fluffy romance, fear not: CCS retains its adventurous story-telling style, with scary action and sweet romance alternating in equal measure to provide a well-paced, well-developed plot. What works about this dual approach is that Sakura tries to rise to an unprecedented new challenge whilst undertaking an emotional journey that is also unfamiliar to her. The result is a feature that feels a lot like the final arc of the series; it is epic in presentation, but also heart-warming without being saccharine.

I suppose my only gripe is that, although Sakura survives some freaky dangers, the actual resolution to the conflict is too easy. It's the kind of ending that makes me ask ‘Why didn't you do that before?' However, considering that the main reason for watching another CCS adventure is to see the romance develop, this flaw is not too big a problem.

The concept for The Sealed Card remains the same as in the series, except everything has gone big-budget now; the opening sequence has got to be one of the most inventive action scene involving monsters, bright costumes, and playground apparatus that I have seen. Moreover, all the background details are more visually delightful than before, and the characters' movements are flawlessly smooth.

Since there is not one theme here that I could call interesting or memorable, the soundtrack is quite worthless; if there is an official album for this movie, I suggest not bothering with it.

On the other hand, the voice acting is wonderful as usual; the entire cast steps up to the mark once more to deliver nothing but excellence. My favourite moment has to be Tomoyo's crazy giggle, which cracks me up to no end.

Character development is minimal here since the protagonists only have a short space of time to deal with their enemy. What development there is occurs in the realm of Sakura and Shaoran's romance, where the two characters struggle to express their feelings and take the next step from friendship to love. Sakura is her usual plucky self, although I found her slide into emotional turmoil added a refreshing change of tone. Shaoran, on the other hand, has matured a lot since the series and gets quite kick-arse during the battles. When put together, their dynamic involves a lot of hilarious awkward moments, which make for some of the most memorable scenes.

Tomoyo and Meilin also have more involved roles than they did in the first movie, which is a welcome development; I enjoy watching them almost as much as Sakura and Shaoran. Above all, it's great to see so many of the extras making cameo appearances. For example, Tomoyo's mother and Sakura's father return with touching consequences, and all of the important classmates, as well as Eriol and his gang, have a part to play. They remain static as characters, but their personalities are portrayed wittily enough.

chii's avatar By chii on Oct 5, 2009

If I had to choose one thing about the CCS series that was good it would be this movie. Not just because it signifies the end of the series :P but it was a short wonderful story that actually wrapped everything up very well. Shoujo fluff at its best in this movie and that says a lot coming from me because i generally hate shoujo.

Unlike the show this movie kept up a good pace. nothing was too slow or to fast plot wise and it was wonderful to watch the events unfold and if you are a fan of shoujo you will be on the edge of your seat waiting to see what will happen at the end.

thesonicfan21's avatar By thesonicfan21 on Aug 17, 2010

This is a very good sequel to a good movie and a great series. In my opinion, I liked the sequel better than the other movie. The other movie was crap and boring and this and the series were good. I always thought this movie focused on the series more, Sakura falls in love with yet another guy and tries to tell him that she loves him. It's very original.

Story: The story was very good and was more focused on the series than its other movie. Like I said, Sakrua falls in love with yet another boy and this time, she's trying to tell him that she loves him. And this is also more weirder, Sakura's cards have been stolen by what appears a young woman and bad things happen. The town vanishes and everything vanishes and its up to Sakura and her suspicious boyfriend to save their town, Japan. 9.8/10

Animation: Well, the animation has gotten a littlle grimmier than the original movie and its series, but I still give the animation a little higher score just for my liking of this movie. As I'd say, the animation's more like Castle in the Sky, despite it's artwork was more of 90s style. And pretty much as dark as the first movie was. 7.0/10

Sound: I was always disappointed with the English Dubbed. And to my disappoint, Kero's voice has changed. Either later in the series, this movie or its original movie. It has changed to sound more like the Japanese Dub (which is cuter). I prefer to watch all Card Captor Sakura movies in Japanese because she sounds more like a little kid in Japanese for her age than in English Dub. And the music was pretty fitting and everything. 4.3/10

Characters: The characters were always a 10/10. Original concept and an imaginative idea of a little kid coming to town and Sakura suddendly falls in love with her. But since the characters have grown up and have entered middle school, they act more differently than in the series or their normal life. 10/10

Overall: 8.0 A very good movie following another movie and focused on a great series. A must-watch and is very watchable.

9.8/10 story
4.3/10 sound
FotacienShado's avatar By FotacienShado on Nov 13, 2012

Ruined everything. The plot sucked, the voices changed (since I saw the dub), the character's personalities were completely trampled by the whole corny and cheesy theme.