Captain Herlock: Outside Legend - The Endless Odyssey

Alt titles: Space Pirate Captain Herlock: The Endless Odyssey

Garyuu's avatar By Garyuu on May 4, 2010

One of the best OVA series I've ever seen. I've seen the original Harlock, so I was excited to see how the characters looked, totally updated, and modernized. It was awesome. The characters looked just like how they used to back in the 70's, but now they are animated better, better coloring etc. The voice acting has improved a lot too. I still preferred Dr. Zero's original voice. Captain Harlock / Herlock was just as BA. I especially liked Mimeh's seiyuu. I don't know why, but I just wished she had more lines in the show.

Holy cow, this was a really dark anime. The original show was what you'd expect from a 70's anime. It was kind of funny, and cheesy. Herlock did a 180 in tone. There was a ton of satanic and demonic symbols, I was caught off guard. Some of the stuff in the show was actually really creepy.

This show has some of the best atmosphere I've seen. Space really did feel lonely, and cold. I don't know what it was about the show, but the show could have been really boring. It was slow paced, and they did something just right, so that it was really fun to watch.

The OP and ED were great. The OP felt epic, and it fit well with the character Herlock. The ED did a perfect job in reflecting the mood of the show. There wasn't much a soundtrack during the show. There just wasn't a lot of music. That isn't bad though. I think the creators left out a lot of music, because it really helped create that lonely, and creepy atmosphere.

OP

ED

8.5/10 animation
7.5/10 characters
SoulE's avatar By SoulE on Sep 17, 2013

The story is "save the galaxy from Nu", a malicious being that is apparently sealed away in another dimension. The way this is first explained is interesting, and I admit the floating dead evil scientists was something I had not seen before. I like the concept of this story, but the execution was poor.

Animation:

The character design has this cool Cyborg 009 feel to it. However the toddler design they decided to go with for some of the adults was distracting from how serious this show was trying to take itself. And there were some re-used still shots.

There is almost a complete lack of any character developement here. The only character that is really allowed to develope his character is Chief Alita, which ended up being the only character I liked.

Harlock himself has a couple cool moments, but overall he's pretty stale.

Everyone else was very one-dimensional.

Overall:

Unless you are a huge Captain Harlock fan, avoid this. Go watch Outlaw Star or Gundam 00 instead.

3.5/10 overall