Candy Boy

randomredneck's avatar By randomredneck on Mar 8, 2011

Hello fellow anime fans. Its review numero tres from RandomRedneck. Got an issue with my opinion? Then shove it and go read a review from someone else. Today, i offer my thoughts on a show that surprised me. Surprised me meaning, it was actually good. I speak of Candy Boy. A show i sought out for the hope of some twincest yuri,(Don't judge me) and watched through because it was just that good. The story is about fraternal twin sisters Kanade and Yukino, who are living in an apartment together and attending high school. Kanade has a crush on Yukino, and Yukino seems aware of the fact, frequently teasing her over it. This is what the haters try to use against it. But trust me, they play the crush thing very well. The majority of the story is actually about them trying not to drift apart. Jobs and classes threaten this, and the girls(Mostly Kanade) have some bad issues with separation. The animation is pretty good, particularly the scenes they share in the snow. Sound really isn't anything that will blow you away. Nothing real innovative about the score. Hell, the show doesn't even have an opening theme. Character wise, this show is a firm supporter of less is more. We have Kanade and Yukino, Sakuya Kamiyama, a VERY annoying underclassmen who also harbors a crush on Kanade, and a brief couple of appearances by the youngest sister Shizuku, there aren't really any other characters of importance. No male lead, hell, males in this show don't even have any impact on the plot. At all. This is actually a good thing, as the story can focus more on the sisters, without too many distractions, aside from Shizuku for an episode or two. Another surprise, was the lack of fanservice. The swimming pool episode is pretty tame, and though Sakuya hopes for a hot spring scene, it never happens. So, to wrap it up, this show may surprise you. Expecting a fanserive laden, lesbian sister love fest? Then look somewhere else. Looking for a surprisingly sweet show about the bond between two sisters? Then check out Candy Boy. You won't be sorry.

Yours truly,

RandomRedneck.

stalkingcats's avatar By stalkingcats on Oct 16, 2010

Candy Boy

Oh c'mon, twincest and yuri. What more could you ask for?

Story: Don't expect so much from a slice-of-life anime. Especially one with 'bout 7 episodes. Just very random things about their very normal life. This whole thing is about two siblings who are in *love* with one another. Yes, that kind of love that is so very soft that they themselves don't even realize it.

Animation: I like, I like. Nah, its fine.

Sound: I never pay much attention to the seiyuus, but the reason why there is this anime was to promote this song (refer to title) in the first place. J-POP.

Characters: Since this is a slice-of-life anime, you want to lean more on the characters. I guess having a crazy stalker in the process of building a shrine is cool enough. The way they made the younger sister much more reliable and sensible than the older sister was a good way to bring out their characters.

Overall: 7.5/10 My expectations aren't high. You can tell. Matter of opinions.

DavidWP's avatar By DavidWP on Sep 25, 2011

Short, sweet, charming, emotional and funny; Candy Boy has all those things and despite having only 7 episodes the anime gets so much character development across then most animes can do in 12+ episodes *cough* To Love-Ru *cough, cough*. More in video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH3DZCUklaU

9.2/10 overall
NoCheerios's avatar By NoCheerios on Mar 12, 2011

Just a quick note, I watched this a while back, so the info may be a tad hazy...

Story: (6.5/10)

Alright, Candy Boy is basically about two sisters who are in love with eachother and do essentially nothing but talk for seven 12-15 minute segments. Sure, they have a little sister that drops in, and a vertically-challenged stalker girl follows around one of the sisters the entire show.

Honestly it wasn't terrible, but it was essentially Lucky Star except with some form of moral value to it and between two lesbian sisters, a stalker, and their younger sister. So yeah, it's not for everyone, but some people would surely enjoy the plot.

Animation: (7/10)

Not remarkable in any way, shape, or form, but it's definitely not bad in any way either. The word "meh" comes to mind, but dude, gimme a break, I'm trying to be formal here. The colors work well together, but using the word "vibrant" seems like a huge overstatement.

I don't remember the backgrounds being anything special, but they certainly weren't awful. There's no frame skipping or characters warping around, but the animation isn't exactly a Dragon Crisis fight scene or a Eureka Seven falling scene. AKA, uh.... meh.

Sound: (4/10)

To be completely honest, none of the music stuck out, when there was any. There wasn't usually background music, but when there was, it wasn't spectacular or original at all. I don't even remember if there was an OP/ED, but as of now I'll just let you guys criticize because honestly they weren't great if I don't remember them.

The two sisters had decent voice actors, but the little girl and the stalker had some hyenas or perhaps some dying babies as their voice actors. Yeah, not a fan myself.

Characters: (7/10)

To say, "this is where the show really shines" would be a lie because, even though it has one of the highest scores among the given, the character department really wasn't that great either. It was a sweet little conversation between two sister lovers and sometimes their stalker or little sister, but usually there was some moral message to roughly half the conversations, so it's not talk about the dentist or anything.

The main two sisters really do have pretty fresh-feeling personalities, even though it's somewhat of a softening/extension from:

1) The tsundere type(softened with some niceness)

and

2) The ditzy type(expanded with some smartness and generousity).

Not super original, but I haven't seen any characters exactly like them quite yet, so.... yay?

Overall: (6/10)

Really not stupendous in any way, but it's.... cute. Don't be deterred by the "shoujo-ai" tag if you think that it's gonna be a titty smacking contest because it's not; quite far from it. It's just a cute little story about two sister lovers and their creepy friends/sisters.

But now, what's important: Did I like it? No. I thought it was a pretty boring show. Does that mean most viewers won't like it? No, it just wasn't my cup o' tea.

6.5/10 story
VGCKenny's avatar By VGCKenny on Oct 29, 2011

Candy Boy is an online anime that consists of two twin sisters that love each other. Now, that may sound like a premise that can't be taken seriously, and to some extent, it is, but in all honesty this is actually a rather satisfying and serious anime.

What makes Candy Boy so great is that the story is taken SERIOUSLY. It's not a half-assed attempt to flaunt the shojo-ai genre so teenage boys (or lesbians) can fap to it, it has the same ups and downs that you would find in any other romance anime that takes itself seriously. The story progresses like it would in real life, but seeing as how that's how a slice-of-life is supposed to go, it's not that shocking. The problems that Yuki and Kana face are simply interesting. It has a wide range of problems that couples face from the tiniest things, like what to get each other for a birthday present, to major things, like how will one afford collage and still be together with the other. It doesn't let the fact that Yuki and Kana are twins and of the same gender effect the progression of the plot, in fact, at times, it enhances it.

However, the story could have been a little better with character development. Sure, you only have a limited amount of time to develop the characters, and they do do a good job of that, but our information of the characters is limited. Sure, there are bonus episodes, which may help (I have yet to see them), but looking at just the series itself, there is some work left to be done.

Another thing, at times when Kana and Yuki are talking, the screen is focused off somewhere else, like the top bunk of their bed, or an extra-long shot of the scenery, which is quite distracting. It wouldn't be so bad, if it didn't happen as often as it did, and it's not entirely bad, but it's really distracting.

The characters themselves are just great. Yuki and Kana complement each other as the others opposite. Yuki is the more lightheaded one who is more joyful and does have her moments, where Kana is more smarter, but also a little more emotional at times. While these seem like complete opposite personalities, they're not as different as one might think, and the differences in the personalities are what make it more interesting. Sakuya is a very enjoyable character. She's just like an over the top villain you would find in an action anime, but applied to a romance anime. More or less, she's like the Ladd Russo of this show, where she's insane and over the top it's hard not to love the character. Shizu acts as a sort of counter active voice in Candy Boy. She shows that Kana and Yuki are not alone in their sisterhood, and would like to be almost as close to them as they are. She's an interesting character, and used for an interesting purpose.

The art is rather well crafted. It's not insanely flashy, or unique, but that's what makes it work. The anime itself is not flashy or exciting, but it's still enjoyable to a standard. Like so, the art itself is like that, and replicates how wonderful the show is. The music also works on this convention. It works on how it takes itself seriously and not over the top with its premise, and adapts to it, and as a result, it's very nice, very beautiful.

Overall: Candy Boy may have a premise that might not be taken as seriously as other romance animes, but it's worth watching because it takes itself more seriously than someone could imagine. It's light-hearted, interesting, and overall worth watching, 9.5/10

9.5/10 story