MrChearlie's avatar By on Apr 4, 2013

My English can be terrible, as soon as I notice a mistake I should fix it, if you notice an error and let me know I would appreciate it.

The Good Part

•  it.. has good ecchi?

The Bad Part

•  Everything is based on the rule of cool (looks cool but doesn't makes too many sense), just badly camouflagued with greek mythology.

Story (Terrible)

This is how this show works, it might sound familiar, pick a random guy with unexplained ideals of justice to be the hero, and give him a girl that just fall in love with him for being awesome in less than a minute, no doubts, she just will fall in love. He defends the world from greek gods which reasons are to destroy the world are... the thing  myths talk about, but in the perspective of this gods and creatures there isn't really a deep though of why they are doing so. He receives powers after he destroy a god because he was the chosen for no special reasons. Powers which works under special conditions. Wich are these conditions? well they are many but they are always triggered when convenient. He also obtains powers from his harem, which is not a really good one since all the girls love seems to be pretty superficial.

So how the battles work, 1)do enemies have different strategies? 2)how do the hero train himself?

Nope, enemies are always the same, Godou use his conditional powers to survive more than winning, just for the pleasure of shock the naive audience, then a girl kiss him and he use the most powerfull power in the show!!!!.... GREEK MYTHOLOGY LESSONS!!!!!! And I am not kidding, he just says: ATHENA USED TO EAT SANDWICHES WHEN SHE WAS A LITTLE GIRL! and the enemy will scream in pain. Sometimes he receives a new power, like megaman, but still, he receives in the most convenient moment, And nope, he doesn't train at all, he just act clumsy and says cool ideas about a better world and women will rain on him to give him the power.

That's it, there isn't anything else, although I have to say that I liked the conclusion, it was so, but soooo dumb and predictable that I was actually having a good time watching at how bad it was, but unfortunately that affects the enjoyment section, you still stay with this score.

Animation (Average)

Well, I didn't like the animals, they just look so silly, other than this I don't find anything bad with the animation, but neither anything good, everything was good-looking but it was pretty much superficial, re-use and re-use of effects, not so many body action, so for which a fighting shonen consist it was pretty lazy, maybe it was saved by the ecchi animations which were good (It's clear to see what was the main focus for the staff who did this.).

Sound (Average)

The biggest reason I was recommend to watch this was the music, it was good in general yes, but it didn't shines in any moment, I was really never driven with the music. The rest is nice really, the same as animation to be honest.

Characters (Bad)

Well, they are not terrible, they are rarely  out of character. But maybe that's because characters are so dull and empty which ends with no real development. Although they know this stereotypes works for the fans and at least they know how to make them likeable and pull out some laughs.

Enjoyment (Bad)

If it wasn't by the position I was watching this after the... 5 minutes the show started I would have drop it. I just laught as many ridiculous things I could find, at the beggining it worked but since the show is bassically the same and the same over and over you already know what is wrong since it never went out. But finish it for the sake of finish it and at the end it was the same but in such a cliche and cheesy way that I was again able to laugh of it. So it really depends on your perspective whether you like it or not, a lot loved it (for the ecchi even without admiting that's the reason) But if you are not into shounen there is no way this will work. So there is almost anything you can save from this show, it will be forgotten pretty soon since many similar with remain appearing. The only thing that I can save is the potential of getting the power from a harem but it would only result good for me if it really go deep in that matter, otherwise it just ends being a silly and lame excuse for ecchi.

Overall (Bad)

bentobox's avatar By on Mar 17, 2015

Campione is a hot mess.

Classified as an ecchi (perverted) action and fantasy series, it substantially lacks anything raunchy enough to be considered risque, exciting enough to be considered action, and fantastical enough to – no, it’s pretty fantastical; fantastically bad. It has it all: girls with big boobs, swords, magic, lore, glowing red eyes, undead hordes, mass destruction in Tokyo, international intrigue… the list goes on and on. But what it doesn’t have is anything worth watching.

Every character is generic. There’s the hot-headed Tsundere swordsman, a conservative Shrine Maiden, and a sexy older woman who makes an occasional appearance, just to name a few. The trivial bro character shows up for a whopping thirty seconds in the second or third episode before he never appears again. In Campione, a character’s development is based solely on how he or she interacts with the main character. What was his name again? Right.Godou. He’s forgettable too.

Even the action sequences are lacking. As if still images, recycled dialogue, and reused footage wasn’t bad enough, the lead male (Godou, right?) has to scream historical facts about the God he’s fighting in order to power up his attack which is based on his knowledge of that God. In order to obtain this knowledge, because he knows nothing about anything, he has to kiss members of his harem and he has to kiss them like he means it. He has to really want that information so bad that he’s forced to let these really hot anime girls kiss him. While the concept is interesting – especially the part about using knowledge to beef up an attack – and the kissing was a good start to being an ecchiseries, that’s where the uniqueness and excitement end. While it’s nice that the creators found a way to address the power curve without endless training arcs or boring scenes of Godou studying in a library, it’s not nice that Godou has to literally scream a God’s entire history to that God in order to defeat them. Isn’t the kiss with the power up enough? It’s like listening to a hodge podge of copy-pasta from Wikipedia entries while the main character stands there, yelling at a God.

The story bounces all over the place. It needs medication. One second, you’re in Italy. The next, you’re in Tokyo with no explanation. One second, there’s an older woman seducing him and then you never see her again. It jumps around so much that it’s hard to keep everything straight – especially with all the random characters who just pop in and out of the series.

The script is terrible. Every line spouted, whether it’s a girl trying to seduce the male lead or a villain taunting someone, is generic. You’ve heard every one of these lines in some other anime – except for the three or four minutes of Godouyelling a God’s entire history during a fight.

Aside from just being generally bland and boring, characters have no weight or purpose. Yeah, they’re supposed to have purpose which is usually explained in lengthy expositions. Unfortunately, they just kind of appear and disappear whenever it’s convenient for the story. I actually went back to skim through earlier episodes just to try to find where some of these new characters were introduced. But they weren’t introduced. They just showed up and everyone talked to them like normal, as if they had always been there.

When did that become acceptable?

That’s where I drew the line. After three characters (a girl, a boy, and a really hot girl who are all as generic as the main cast) were just thrown in and out of the story without any care to the plot, I couldn’t watch anymore. I could barely tolerate eight of the thirteen episodes.

The Bottom Line:

What scares me the most is that Sentai Filmworks actually released this anime on blu-ray and, even worse – they wasted time dubbing it!

Campione can be described in three words: Generic, disjointed, and forgettable. It is, quite possibly, the worst anime I have ever watched.

If this sounded remotely interesting to you, don’t waste your time on Campione, just go watch Demon King Daimao.

Skylos's avatar By on Oct 14, 2012

Contains minor spoilers for episode 1.

First of all, I'm actually quite dissapointed with this anime as it was recommended by several of my friends for being great. Sure, it was entertaining at first, but then it gets really "weird" and the whole thing just spirals down. Several times throughout the series, I would find myself asking, "how the hell did that happen?"

Basically, what I'm ranting about is that it had a very good story to convey but it was just cast aside for what this anime really wants to show: liplocking with a bunch of girls. What should have been an epic battle between gods and a teenaged kid is just watered down. I mean, half of an episode composes of mindless fanservice. I really liked the idea of rogue gods and all of that, but after watching it, it didn't really feel as epic as what the story would've led you to believe.

It gives the impression that the plot exists as a device just to show you explicit scenes. Everything can be solved with tongue-on-tongue action.

Then again, what do I expect from an ecchi anime..... sigh. Thou art something really profound.

Despite the plot or lack thereof, the animation is really good. I liked the attention to detail. The background of the onsen scene in Italy was great. Even the beach scene in the final episode was spot-on .

Character design is good, Erica and Liliana's comparison in outfit is great. I also liked how Godou looked like a fairly normal teenager despite being surrounded by voluptous ladies.

OP and ED was alright for me. Voice acting was good, but I must admit that I'm a complete sucker for Yoko Hikasa's voice so I might be a *bit* biased.

Sounds fit the occassion--whether fight scenes or kissing scenes...

The characters aren't the ones that are complex. What IS complex is how they "change" per se. I still don't understand how Erica Blandelli, in all her tsundere glory, becomes suddenly attached to Godou, removes her tsundere persona, proclaims she loves him, and basically wants nothing more than for him to "marry" her--happen all in a grand total of 10 minutes on the first episode... literally.

I could accept the fact that most of the characters don't grow and develop, but they do, in a really *really* shallow sense. How the anime relays this change leaves much to be desired. Most of the character "development" occurs in a span of a few minutes, leaving whoever is watching utterly confused as to what the HECK happened.

This development supports what I wrote: all gives way to liplocking---hell to character development and plot!

What's even more annoying is that every girl in Godou's harem spoke to him for 5 minutes and would suddenly give their vow that they would die for him---where does he get these girls? If I would quote a friend: "I WANT ONE!"

Overall: I would recommend this anime to those who want fast entertainment. This is the first time I've ever watched an anime like this (which isn't really saying a lot). The ones who recommended this to me are boys going through really late puberty... you decide what that implies.

It's an ecchi anime, what else was I supposed to expect?

4.5/10 overall
zman709's avatar By on Sep 9, 2015

This will be my first review as I normally just provide my rating for a show and leave it at that, but Campione! was such a mess that I felt compelled to warn others to avoid this disjointed monstrosity so as not to waste your time as I did. I've sat through some pretty bad shows and never felt this strongly about how poorly a show was done before, so that should tell you something. If you want to avoid my explanations and just cut to the chase, skip to the final paragraph.

First, this is based on a series of light novels, so you can already go into the show expecting a rather thin/weak plot and when coupled with the usual plot devices of most ecchi-style shows of this nature, you know beforehand that you're not likely to get anything too special. I went into this thinking that it would be something like Ichiban Ushiro no Daimao or Rosario to Vampire where you have a protagonist who is remarkable in some way and of course then proceeds to build up a harem without even really trying, and that is indeed the main template for the show.

***Possible minor Spoilers, but should have little to no impact if you read them***

The basic premise is that if someone kills a god, then they become a god slayer, or campione, and can take that god's power for their own. Since god slayers are immune to normal magic, magic can only be cast on them by injecting it directly into their bodies. This is where the harem comes into play by kissing the main character in order to impart some conveniently needed special knowledge that they just happen to have, or to heal him, etc. So far so good as far as standard ecchi plots go.

The main problem with this piece is that the plot arcs, if you can call them that, are all over the place. I have not read any of the light novels, but by the time this show was released 12 of them had been released as well. The show seems to try to incorporate as much of the different stories as it can from these in the 13 episodes that it has. As a result, the location changes frequently and for what seems like arbitrary reasons because there is no back story or lead up to anything. Each episode finds the main character already thrust into a new situation and sometimes a character may make an off-hand or casual remark that may try to explain why it is that they are somewhere or why it is that a fight is about to take place. For example, near the end of episode 5, the main character receives a phone call from another campione, who's never been introduced, acting like his best friend and tells the main character that he should really fight this other campione. It's then mentioned that the main character happened to have fought this new "best friend" campione while he was in Italy, but apparently we the audience didn't need to see any of that. This new guy pops up a few more times in the course of the show, but for virtually no reason because you have no real idea why he does any of the things that he does. Like virtually every other character here he's not really developed at all which brings me to the next point.

A consequence of the random plots being sewn together like parts on Frankenstein's monster is the rather forgettable nature of several characters and the list of seemingly throw away characters that I'm certain must have had some role in the novels, but are put in the anime for unknown reasons as they just show up, often do nothing at all, then are never seen or heard from again. A prime example here is a "mistress" of the main character who is revealed to live in Italy where some of the story takes place. It was never shown how they met, who this person is, or anything. We just get told that's who this is and here she is. She does absolutely nothing but host the whole gang for a vacation that's interrupted and then after that episode is never to be heard from again. Or take the main character's little sister. She's obviously annoyed by her brother's ever expanding harem, but they don't make it clear if that's due to her thinking her brother's a womanizer or the result of jealousy from a brother complex. I'm leaning more towards the latter, but how can you know when the sister probably has a grand total of 2 minutes screen time throughout the 13 episodes, and I believe that I'm being overly generous in my 2 min estimation.

Campione! is a complete waste of a show because of poor production and planning. Honestly, I don't think that the story itself was much different from most other ecchi shows where the protagonist has some kind of power and it could have turned out to be another average show in a rather crowded field. The people making the decisions of what storyboards to incorporate from the light novels into the anime were either drunk or just didn't care about what they were creating when piecing this show together. The result of this is a show that constantly jumps all over the place in terms of plot development, characters, and well pretty much anything and everything. It had the potential to at least be decent, but the way the show was done makes that impossible. Don't bother wasting your time with this show as it's instantly forgettable, except for the nagging feeling that you'll never get the time back in your life that you spent watching it.

P.S. If you're thinking of watching it anyway just because it's an ecchi and you like those so who cares about a dysfunctional plot, think again. This is not a fan service show and aside from some brief kissing in nearly every episode and a couple rare instances of mild nudity, you'll get nothing from the show on this front either.

noraxo's avatar By on May 10, 2015

It's quite entertaining but then 'another cliffhanging ending' I know I can read the light novel but it just isn't my thing. The genre, harem isn't really my fave becuase usually he / she didn't end up with anyone while me wishing he / she with end up with her / him. Again I wish they make a second season for this anime.