Campione!

TFUKcrimsonspill's avatar By TFUKcrimsonspill on Feb 21, 2013

Honestly, I don't know why this show appealed so much to me. It might be the mythology that is told throughtout each of the battles, or perhaps its the fact that I like just about all the main characters and their personalities. Alongside these two things, I honestly just like the core part of the story, and that is the main lead, Kusanagi Godou being confronted and targeted by many different gods/ goddesses and Campiones. As each fight dawns upon him, he is forced to push himself to the limits and along the way become more able to confront the ever-growing challenges. I greatly hope for and await a potential season 2, especially since there are so many deities left unaccounted for. Well, that and because I just want to see Athena again. =P

Thrawn's avatar By Thrawn on Oct 28, 2012

Before we get started, I'd like to tell you a little something about the OP: Right at the end of it, the protagonist, we'll call him Campione (More on that later), is sitting in a field of golden swords in the ground and know what? He's making it rain like Lil' Wayne up this motherfucker! Fucking raining swords and there's more swords than anything else in that shot. But to complete the scene, Campione is holding a big ass sword (Big enough that it's impractical in realistic fights) and is draped in bitches. I don't mean the guy all flabbergasped, or "Where did these bitches come from", or they're standing or sitting like him, none of that shit. Here, the bitches are literally draped over him. One cradling his neck from his back, one on each arm and one with her head in his lap, stroking his leg and he's sitting there like it's only natural that bitches flock to him.

And that, dear readers, sets the tone for this review. And this anime.

Starting with the plot, I couldn't care less about it. Straight up, you aren't here for plot or any of that bullshit. But if I must: it's about Campione becoming a Campione, which means God Killer, but when you kill a god, you get their power. Makes perfect sense, and Campione's power (Still MC) is the power of generalization, all sorts of shit that makes him a all-rounder, jack of all trades.

I don't know, he fights, gets wenches for his cause, fights some more, and that's about it for plots. There wasn't much in the way of it but I will say this: The fights kicked ass. Flashy shit went on and that field of swords shit? Fucking sweet every time he used it, which was every major fight. It's no spoiler because it ties in with the god-killing bit and you'll pick up on it soon enough.

Mentionable is the... ecchi content. It slowly escalates after the first episode whilst featuring one of the best ways to transfer information before reaching the near finale, which was holy fuck awkward. And I mean awkward. Total spoiler if I go on more but there was nothing subtle about it. Nothing.

Also mentionable is the gods/myth schtick. You learn craploads of some of the gods, loads of the stuff I got from it I never even heard about. It's pretty neat how they included it in and goes even farther considering how godly everybody is.

Animation: Glistening. The fems kept themselves in good shape, but to ensure this isn't all about leecherous perversion, the fights looked just as good, if not better. Yellow is the name of the game, with the golden swords looking as awesome as hell, flashy moves and giant ass flaming boars (Shit, that was some badass power) make for a good looking show. It's not perfect but I liked the flashiness and glistening of it all.

Sound: I liked the OP, the EP, some good fight music but nothing memorable. The VO I liked as well.

Moving on.

Characters: Quite the twist after the first episode, but it is logical (Thrawn logic here): Bitches love men with power. They're attracted to his nice guy, protective nature and his bitching golden sword god killing power. This not only explains his prowress in getting women, but also his strength in kicking ass as nice guys always kick ass in the end.

I can't remember what development we get for the wenches or for Campione but that's not important. The history on the gods should satisfy your desire for development in an ecchi anime about badass god killing. If you wish for more development, I got a hand to smack the stupid out of you with. Some change over time, Athena is cute and Liliana is one of my favorites.

Overall: This was good, dumb fun. The battles kick ass, are plentiful enough, there's a hint of sleaze and it gets shoved down your throat near the end and when it's fighting, it's awesome. Sure the story is pretty crap and there was some unrealized potential, but I came for the fights, turned my brain off and had some fun.

roriconfan's avatar By roriconfan on Jul 7, 2012

THE STAFF
- Animated by Diomedea, a studio that makes only shitty ecchi anime.
- Directed by Kusakawa Keizou, the guy who also did Lyrical Nanoha, a franchise most watch for the fan service.
- Based on a light novel, which means a dumb story. There you go, just from the get-go you already know it will be a dumb story full of ecchi that you will be watching for the fan service.

SPECIFICS
The excuse of the story finds a high school with a grimoire that gives him superpowers after he meets a magical sword-wielding tsundere. And as you can already guess with one sentence alone, this is yet another Shana-clone show. They just try to flavour it a bit by making it begin in Italy, where a huge monster that is supposed to be a god or something is trashing everything. And that is as far as they go.

The plot is one big mess, as everything feels like it was written by a 5 year old kid. Just a few minutes after it begins you get ridiculous scenes of complete randomness. Our archetypical hero meets a tsundere exactly when the monster attacks (it wasn’t scheduled), is told by another kid that he has amazing willpower and resolve when he showed absolutely nothing, and grabs the tsundere as she falls down by randomly appearing on a balcony when he was on the street two seconds earlier. And I love how a gigantic monster trashed a seemingly empty city, while seconds before the attack there were people everywhere.

After the attack, we get even more Shana rip offs, by seeing the girl using a fiery sword and magically fixing everything that was trashed back to its original state. Great way to maintain the status quo and rendering all conflicts meaningless if there are no repercussions. Then the tsundere offers a long explanatory monologue so we will know what exactly is going on here. Of course in-story there was absolutely no reason to explain all that to a total stranger but who ever said this is a story that tries to excuse anything? For the same reason she befriends the protagonist for no reason and makes him carry her luggage just to prove what a bitch she is. Afterwards we get lots of those forced fan service scenes where she keeps seducing him, he keeps begging for forgiveness when he didn’t do anything at all, and she keeps blaming him for everything when it’s otherwise her fault. What a great way to establish them right away as nothing more than done to death ecchi material.

After that we get another battle where the otherwise clueless mortal gets sudden power-ups capable to slay a god and even gets some kisses from the tsundere. The action scenes are a pile on nonsense as all they are all doing is swing swords or books and magic beams make things blow up. Not a single attempt at actual close combat or some sort of meaningful choreography, other than lots of flashy but otherwise meaningless visual effects. And it’s not like they are awesome either, as the production values are just ok and not amazing in any way.

And boy, how did the tsundere’s personality turned to such a slut all of a sudden? But whatever, this is as far as characterization goes in this show (sluts) and nobody manages to be even slightly interesting. Thus the protagonist may have the power to slay gods but he is otherwise the same wuss of a harem lead accompanied by an army of whores he never bangs; the same crap we get for three decades now.

And by the way, we are STILL in the pilot episode. WHOAH EASY YOU GUYS! The show barely began and all the mystery has already been revealed, the setting is explained, the protagonist can slay gods, has seen the tsundere half naked, and already kissed her? A typical Shana-clone would wait for half the show to be over before doing all that as means to keep you guessing and hoping. The scriptwriter practically left nothing to build up for later! Congratulations; you killed our interest in a single episode.

And indeed, as soon as the second episode begins everything has now turned to a standard harem show, where the dork protagonist is surrounded by hot chicks and everything is endless misunderstandings and accidental infringements. Just imagine that every time he needs to give or take a spell, he needs to French kiss a girl. And since every girl in this show is after to have sex with or kill him, the result is him constantly stuffing his throat with girls’ tongues. If a deep throat is needed every time they need to cast a simple spell, imagine what they have to do if they ever need to talk about the meaning of life. Remember how Saber recharges her powers in Fate/Stay Night?

And you can even forget the setting of the exotic Italy as well. He returns to his home in episode 2 and afterwards it’s just a Japanese high school with a ton of girls in sailor suits for the billionth time. And I have no idea why he went to Italy when he is otherwise using French kisses. Or why the tsundere is dressed like a Spanish dancer instead of an Italian noble.

You can also forget the fancy mythological references too. They aren’t even trying to present them as plausible since you get the Greek goddess of wisdom being Mother Nature in loli form that is using Sumerian language in order to erase the stars over Japan by using the power of Medusa through a deep throat kiss by some sailor suit slut. Makes complete sense, right? And you can also forget about how millions of gods exist in this world for millennia. They just appear out of nowhere, blow shit up, the hero reads a wikipedia about them, French kisses some sluts, random shit blow up, he wins with no effort, the Gods disappear as easily as they apeared, more fan service, and then more kisses.

If all you want to see is some guy kissing bitches and kills gods that pop out of nowhere with no effort, chances are you will like it. But don’t expect any sort of interesting story to happen. There is barely any in it. They gave up on this after one freaking episode and went for BS fan service. It’s a throw away show with nothing worthy to hope for. But hey, even the title of this anime implies that. I mean just look at it: The Campy-One.

And now for some excused scorings.

ART SECTION: 5/10
Analysis: General Artwork 1/2, Character Figures 1/2, Backgrounds 1/2, Animation 1/2, Visual Effects 1/2

SOUND SECTION: 6/10
Analysis: Voice Acting 2/3, Music Themes 2/4, Sound Effects 2/3

STORY SECTION: 2/10
Analysis: Premise 1/2, Pacing 0/2, Complexity 0/2, Plausibility 0/2, Conclusion 1/2

CHARACTER SECTION: 5/10
Analysis: Presence 1/2, Personality 1/2, Backdrop 1/2, Development 1/2, Catharsis 1/2

VALUE SECTION: 1/10
Analysis: Historical Value 0/3, Rewatchability 0/3, Memorability 1/4

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 1/10
Analysis: Art 0/1, Sound 0/2, Story 1/3, Characters 0/4

VERDICT: 3.5/10

3.5/10 overall
Skylos's avatar By Skylos on Oct 14, 2012

Contains minor spoilers for episode 1.

First of all, I'm actually quite dissapointed with this anime as it was recommended by several of my friends for being great. Sure, it was entertaining at first, but then it gets really "weird" and the whole thing just spirals down. Several times throughout the series, I would find myself asking, "how the hell did that happen?"

Basically, what I'm ranting about is that it had a very good story to convey but it was just cast aside for what this anime really wants to show: liplocking with a bunch of girls. What should have been an epic battle between gods and a teenaged kid is just watered down. I mean, half of an episode composes of mindless fanservice. I really liked the idea of rogue gods and all of that, but after watching it, it didn't really feel as epic as what the story would've led you to believe.

It gives the impression that the plot exists as a device just to show you explicit scenes. Everything can be solved with tongue-on-tongue action.

Then again, what do I expect from an ecchi anime..... sigh. Thou art something really profound.

Animation:

Despite the plot or lack thereof, the animation is really good. I liked the attention to detail. The background of the onsen scene in Italy was great. Even the beach scene in the final episode was spot-on .

Character design is good, Erica and Liliana's comparison in outfit is great. I also liked how Godou looked like a fairly normal teenager despite being surrounded by voluptous ladies.

Sound:

OP and ED was alright for me. Voice acting was good, but I must admit that I'm a complete sucker for Yoko Hikasa's voice so I might be a *bit* biased.

Sounds fit the occassion--whether fight scenes or kissing scenes...

The characters aren't the ones that are complex. What IS complex is how they "change" per se. I still don't understand how Erica Blandelli, in all her tsundere glory, becomes suddenly attached to Godou, removes her tsundere persona, proclaims she loves him, and basically wants nothing more than for him to "marry" her--happen all in a grand total of 10 minutes on the first episode... literally.

I could accept the fact that most of the characters don't grow and develop, but they do, in a really *really* shallow sense. How the anime relays this change leaves much to be desired. Most of the character "development" occurs in a span of a few minutes, leaving whoever is watching utterly confused as to what the HECK happened.

This development supports what I wrote: all gives way to liplocking---hell to character development and plot!

What's even more annoying is that every girl in Godou's harem spoke to him for 5 minutes and would suddenly give their vow that they would die for him---where does he get these girls? If I would quote a friend: "I WANT ONE!"

Overall: I would recommend this anime to those who want fast entertainment. This is the first time I've ever watched an anime like this (which isn't really saying a lot). The ones who recommended this to me are boys going through really late puberty... you decide what that implies.

It's an ecchi anime, what else was I supposed to expect?

4.5/10 overall
TheBlueKing44's avatar By TheBlueKing44 on Nov 27, 2013

Campione!....girls make out with you so you can learn what you need to kill your opponet....this needs to be a thing!

Anyway, Campione is simple enough show about a dude who gets magical powers from acidentally killing a god and gets a harem of token anime girls to help him kill the same few villians over 12 episodes. And he fights the same villian...twice.

Now if your still reading this, I say to you, I enjoyed this show....more than I should have probablly. The animation for this show was fantastic and the story was cool, even it is is ver simple to follow. The girls all fit into different troups: the confident badass whos dedicated to the main guy, the tsundere honorable knight girl, the shy shrine maiden, and the mysterious girl who shows up at the end and dosnt get to do much. Regardless, if you dig fantasy and authors twisting mythological origins just a bit for stories, then you will like it. Again I say....the girls all know about the people hes fighting, and have to make out with him to transfer the info so he can kill them with his golden swords...dumb I know but thats what ya get haha

Anyway, if you want some fantasy with your harem, watch this. It is short and shouldn't be hard to follow. If you don't like ether or are on the fence, watch ep 1 and if that dosn't work, don't bother.

overall, its a 7.7/10