Campione!

MrChearlie's avatar By MrChearlie on Apr 4, 2013

My English can be terrible, as soon as I notice a mistake I should fix it, if you notice an error and let me know I would appreciate it.

The Good Part

•  it.. has good ecchi?

The Bad Part

•  Everything is based on the rule of cool (looks cool but doesn't makes too many sense), just badly camouflagued with greek mythology.

Story (Terrible)

This is how this show works, it might sound familiar, pick a random guy with unexplained ideals of justice to be the hero, and give him a girl that just fall in love with him for being awesome in less than a minute, no doubts, she just will fall in love. He defends the world from greek gods which reasons are to destroy the world are... the thing  myths talk about, but in the perspective of this gods and creatures there isn't really a deep though of why they are doing so. He receives powers after he destroy a god because he was the chosen for no special reasons. Powers which works under special conditions. Wich are these conditions? well they are many but they are always triggered when convenient. He also obtains powers from his harem, which is not a really good one since all the girls love seems to be pretty superficial.

So how the battles work, 1)do enemies have different strategies? 2)how do the hero train himself?

Nope, enemies are always the same, Godou use his conditional powers to survive more than winning, just for the pleasure of shock the naive audience, then a girl kiss him and he use the most powerfull power in the show!!!!.... GREEK MYTHOLOGY LESSONS!!!!!! And I am not kidding, he just says: ATHENA USED TO EAT SANDWICHES WHEN SHE WAS A LITTLE GIRL! and the enemy will scream in pain. Sometimes he receives a new power, like megaman, but still, he receives in the most convenient moment, And nope, he doesn't train at all, he just act clumsy and says cool ideas about a better world and women will rain on him to give him the power.

That's it, there isn't anything else, although I have to say that I liked the conclusion, it was so, but soooo dumb and predictable that I was actually having a good time watching at how bad it was, but unfortunately that affects the enjoyment section, you still stay with this score.

Animation (Average)

Well, I didn't like the animals, they just look so silly, other than this I don't find anything bad with the animation, but neither anything good, everything was good-looking but it was pretty much superficial, re-use and re-use of effects, not so many body action, so for which a fighting shonen consist it was pretty lazy, maybe it was saved by the ecchi animations which were good (It's clear to see what was the main focus for the staff who did this.).

Sound (Average)

The biggest reason I was recommend to watch this was the music, it was good in general yes, but it didn't shines in any moment, I was really never driven with the music. The rest is nice really, the same as animation to be honest.

Characters (Bad)

Well, they are not terrible, they are rarely  out of character. But maybe that's because characters are so dull and empty which ends with no real development. Although they know this stereotypes works for the fans and at least they know how to make them likeable and pull out some laughs.

Enjoyment (Bad)

If it wasn't by the position I was watching this after the... 5 minutes the show started I would have drop it. I just laught as many ridiculous things I could find, at the beggining it worked but since the show is bassically the same and the same over and over you already know what is wrong since it never went out. But finish it for the sake of finish it and at the end it was the same but in such a cliche and cheesy way that I was again able to laugh of it. So it really depends on your perspective whether you like it or not, a lot loved it (for the ecchi even without admiting that's the reason) But if you are not into shounen there is no way this will work. So there is almost anything you can save from this show, it will be forgotten pretty soon since many similar with remain appearing. The only thing that I can save is the potential of getting the power from a harem but it would only result good for me if it really go deep in that matter, otherwise it just ends being a silly and lame excuse for ecchi.

Overall (Bad)

Skylos's avatar By Skylos on Oct 14, 2012

Contains minor spoilers for episode 1.

First of all, I'm actually quite dissapointed with this anime as it was recommended by several of my friends for being great. Sure, it was entertaining at first, but then it gets really "weird" and the whole thing just spirals down. Several times throughout the series, I would find myself asking, "how the hell did that happen?"

Basically, what I'm ranting about is that it had a very good story to convey but it was just cast aside for what this anime really wants to show: liplocking with a bunch of girls. What should have been an epic battle between gods and a teenaged kid is just watered down. I mean, half of an episode composes of mindless fanservice. I really liked the idea of rogue gods and all of that, but after watching it, it didn't really feel as epic as what the story would've led you to believe.

It gives the impression that the plot exists as a device just to show you explicit scenes. Everything can be solved with tongue-on-tongue action.

Then again, what do I expect from an ecchi anime..... sigh. Thou art something really profound.

Animation:

Despite the plot or lack thereof, the animation is really good. I liked the attention to detail. The background of the onsen scene in Italy was great. Even the beach scene in the final episode was spot-on .

Character design is good, Erica and Liliana's comparison in outfit is great. I also liked how Godou looked like a fairly normal teenager despite being surrounded by voluptous ladies.

Sound:

OP and ED was alright for me. Voice acting was good, but I must admit that I'm a complete sucker for Yoko Hikasa's voice so I might be a *bit* biased.

Sounds fit the occassion--whether fight scenes or kissing scenes...

The characters aren't the ones that are complex. What IS complex is how they "change" per se. I still don't understand how Erica Blandelli, in all her tsundere glory, becomes suddenly attached to Godou, removes her tsundere persona, proclaims she loves him, and basically wants nothing more than for him to "marry" her--happen all in a grand total of 10 minutes on the first episode... literally.

I could accept the fact that most of the characters don't grow and develop, but they do, in a really *really* shallow sense. How the anime relays this change leaves much to be desired. Most of the character "development" occurs in a span of a few minutes, leaving whoever is watching utterly confused as to what the HECK happened.

This development supports what I wrote: all gives way to liplocking---hell to character development and plot!

What's even more annoying is that every girl in Godou's harem spoke to him for 5 minutes and would suddenly give their vow that they would die for him---where does he get these girls? If I would quote a friend: "I WANT ONE!"

Overall: I would recommend this anime to those who want fast entertainment. This is the first time I've ever watched an anime like this (which isn't really saying a lot). The ones who recommended this to me are boys going through really late puberty... you decide what that implies.

It's an ecchi anime, what else was I supposed to expect?

4.5/10 overall
TFUKcrimsonspill's avatar By TFUKcrimsonspill on Feb 21, 2013

Honestly, I don't know why this show appealed so much to me. It might be the mythology that is told throughtout each of the battles, or perhaps its the fact that I like just about all the main characters and their personalities. Alongside these two things, I honestly just like the core part of the story, and that is the main lead, Kusanagi Godou being confronted and targeted by many different gods/ goddesses and Campiones. As each fight dawns upon him, he is forced to push himself to the limits and along the way become more able to confront the ever-growing challenges. I greatly hope for and await a potential season 2, especially since there are so many deities left unaccounted for. Well, that and because I just want to see Athena again. =P

Thrawn's avatar By Thrawn on Oct 28, 2012

Before we get started, I'd like to tell you a little something about the OP: Right at the end of it, the protagonist, we'll call him Campione (More on that later), is sitting in a field of golden swords in the ground and know what? He's making it rain like Lil' Wayne up this motherfucker! Fucking raining swords and there's more swords than anything else in that shot. But to complete the scene, Campione is holding a big ass sword (Big enough that it's impractical in realistic fights) and is draped in bitches. I don't mean the guy all flabbergasped, or "Where did these bitches come from", or they're standing or sitting like him, none of that shit. Here, the bitches are literally draped over him. One cradling his neck from his back, one on each arm and one with her head in his lap, stroking his leg and he's sitting there like it's only natural that bitches flock to him.

And that, dear readers, sets the tone for this review. And this anime.

Starting with the plot, I couldn't care less about it. Straight up, you aren't here for plot or any of that bullshit. But if I must: it's about Campione becoming a Campione, which means God Killer, but when you kill a god, you get their power. Makes perfect sense, and Campione's power (Still MC) is the power of generalization, all sorts of shit that makes him a all-rounder, jack of all trades.

I don't know, he fights, gets wenches for his cause, fights some more, and that's about it for plots. There wasn't much in the way of it but I will say this: The fights kicked ass. Flashy shit went on and that field of swords shit? Fucking sweet every time he used it, which was every major fight. It's no spoiler because it ties in with the god-killing bit and you'll pick up on it soon enough.

Mentionable is the... ecchi content. It slowly escalates after the first episode whilst featuring one of the best ways to transfer information before reaching the near finale, which was holy fuck awkward. And I mean awkward. Total spoiler if I go on more but there was nothing subtle about it. Nothing.

Also mentionable is the gods/myth schtick. You learn craploads of some of the gods, loads of the stuff I got from it I never even heard about. It's pretty neat how they included it in and goes even farther considering how godly everybody is.

Animation: Glistening. The fems kept themselves in good shape, but to ensure this isn't all about leecherous perversion, the fights looked just as good, if not better. Yellow is the name of the game, with the golden swords looking as awesome as hell, flashy moves and giant ass flaming boars (Shit, that was some badass power) make for a good looking show. It's not perfect but I liked the flashiness and glistening of it all.

Sound: I liked the OP, the EP, some good fight music but nothing memorable. The VO I liked as well.

Moving on.

Characters: Quite the twist after the first episode, but it is logical (Thrawn logic here): Bitches love men with power. They're attracted to his nice guy, protective nature and his bitching golden sword god killing power. This not only explains his prowress in getting women, but also his strength in kicking ass as nice guys always kick ass in the end.

I can't remember what development we get for the wenches or for Campione but that's not important. The history on the gods should satisfy your desire for development in an ecchi anime about badass god killing. If you wish for more development, I got a hand to smack the stupid out of you with. Some change over time, Athena is cute and Liliana is one of my favorites.

Overall: This was good, dumb fun. The battles kick ass, are plentiful enough, there's a hint of sleaze and it gets shoved down your throat near the end and when it's fighting, it's awesome. Sure the story is pretty crap and there was some unrealized potential, but I came for the fights, turned my brain off and had some fun.

Mendacious's avatar By Mendacious on Dec 1, 2014

Over before it even begins

I almost forgot to write a review on this one so forgettable it was.

A Japanese holidaymaker comes to Rome, meets a few hot Italian chicks and a few Roman gods, fights and defeats one of those gods with ease and gets one of the chicks but stops short at the dirty. This is a summery of the first episode of this series and all I can review as there is nothing to entice me to watch the rest.

Maybe it might improve later on but the opening was so lame I could not stick with it. It checks all the standard boxes for an average action anime. Young clueless male protagonist, check. Lots of young sexually provocative females hoard around the protagonist, check. Bad guy is nearly the only other male, check. Protagonist is incomprehensibly victorious, check. If this is what you are looking for in an anime then I would whole heartily recommend this series.

I personally will forget it in no time.