Break Blade Movie 1: Kakusei no Toki

Alt titles: Broken Blade: The Time of Awakening

TheMajor5's avatar By TheMajor5 on Sep 27, 2011

Like the other guy, this will be for all 6 movies all well.  Dear Reader, take this series like a cup of milkshakes.  There is no such thing until now.  Ha.  If you don't get it, get out of here.  You should be able to see what i did there.

The story is one to question until the movie keeps on rolling.  Will this be like some cliche other mecha anime i have seen before? No, it won't.  How do i know this?  Because I control this review so thus, I know.  A young lad is a loner in a world filled with magic, where everyone can control at least a tiny bit of magic.  Our main character can't control an speck of magic.  An outcast.  But with his uniqueness, we all know what's to come.  He has the ability to control what no other normal person does.   Thus our ever engaging story begins.  Though this is basically an anime with mecha, it doesn't feel like a mecha does.  I mean, i don't care for gundam but i enjoyed this.  Krishna is being besieged by Athens whom have an economic problem.  Their only option is to conquer Krishna in order to survive.  Thus the king of Krishna has requested our main characters help in order to stop Athens, or at least help the king decide what to do.  This anime has a subtle bit of romance and plenty of war tactics.  Guerrilla tactics and plain and simple suicide runs make this anime a impressive watch.  Watch as Krishna defends itself from an impending doom, all while our main character discovers his rare ability.

The animation is high standard.  I mean, for being so recent, it has that new look.  A clean feel.  Everything is so crisp and the mecha's look like they just got a wax or went through a mech-wash.

Damn, the sound was nothing special.  As i write this, i really can't remember any songs or anything remotely close to what is in this anime.  I imagine the opening was pretty good and I'm sure there was some battle themed music.

By the end of the 6th movie, the character was a bluty mess.  Britain speak.  There is great change and great realization.  I mean, the main is fighting in a war, war changes everyone.  Even the unchangeable.  He sees unspeakable acts of courage and undeniable acts of death all while trying his hardest to stay sane.  The main keeps his cool as he remembers the good times with his dear old friends.  The only good memories.

Overall these movies are pretty badass.  The best part about the anime though, is one can tell the difference between the enemies.  In the manga its extremely hard.  Plus, this anime goes right up to the latest chapter of the manga.  Can't beat that.  The story in genuine and the pace never breaks.  Watch these movies, you will be impressed.  I said so.

Aizan's avatar By Aizan on Jul 17, 2011

Firstly rather than a review for just movie 1 this is for all 6 of them since it is a movie series.

I really am not sure how to write a good review, I have read alot of them but I have never tried to write one before.  Break Blade is a great show, if you like mecha but are tired of the shallow stories and bland characters that come with it most of the time then look no futher.  The action is good although you could say it is a little lacking compared to some other mecha titles.  But I think that it makes up for it with its story line.  Thats all i guess I just wanted to put it a review here since no one else has but i do stongly recomend this I enjoyed every second of watching it.

Oh I almost forgot the reason i gave it an 8 put of 10 instead of an 8 or 9 is because of the ending.  While I'm pretty sure that movie 6 is the last one it dose not really seem like it should be over.  There is still a bunch of stuff going on and such so it kinda lacks a sense of completion.  However it is still well worth the watch.

CoulterRail's avatar By CoulterRail on Apr 3, 2014

I'm not normally a "mecha fan," with the exception of Evangelion, Code Geass, and Gurren Lagann. I picked up Broken Blade because I thought the designs and battle animation looked promising. It's six episodes long, with each episode being longer than the norm (45 min).

***PROS***

MECH DESIGN/BATTLE ANIMATION
The mech's look great. They have a more realistic appearance than most: They're covered in dings and scrapes, and their movements give the welcome and much-needed impression of weight/gravity. The battles in the beginning are somewhat plain (focusing on familiarizing the audience with their projectile weapons, which fire steel spikes). But once they move on to close-quarters combat, the show starts to shine and flex some intensity. If you like long battles that don't start and end with a single attack, then this series is for you. These things take a beating, and the pilots must use strategy to achieve victory. The final boss battle consumes an entire episode. Thank you.

***CONS***

STORY
Everyone in this story uses a power called "magic" (I know, what a concept) to move all items considered technology, from toasters to robots. Our hero can't use magic (he's special), but at least they've unearthed an ancient mech that no one except our protagonist can use. He's reluctant to pilot it and doesn't want to fight in a war, as he's a pacifist at heart. Sound familiar? Because it's the base-level theme of every popular mecha anime. The goods news is they get that cliche out of the way in the first episode and MOVE ON. He pilots it and starts kicking ass, and the story changes gears. The politics and character motivations are simple. The princess makes some pathetic attempts at winning the heart and mind of a captive enemy by having sexy slumber parties, and the bonds between characters remain surprisingly thin. It's not bad, but it's not good either.

LENGTH
This story could be told in two hours (instead of six). Otherwise, it needs to be an entire 26-episode series, wherein they could fully develop the characters, explore the world of nations they've created, and let their story mean more than it does.

VOICES
The main character looks to be about 18, but his voice actor (English dub) sounds 10. It's jarring and takes a while to . . . no, you never get used to it.

This is a decent mecha anime. The combat is fresh and rewarding. There are some intense battles and a mildly entertaining story. There just needed to be either more or less. What they have here is adequate. Watch first, before you buy.