Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT

Alt title: Haganai: I Don't Have Many Friends NEXT

zetsubo666's avatar By on Mar 29, 2013

After watching the 2nd season and seeing another slice of life get two seasons in a row it makes you wonder why this didn't get 2 seasons in a row? Its actually part of the reason I rate it down I felt that this ended when things were getting good and the first would have linked in well with the 2nd its just annoying for people who find it hard to get a good translation of the light novel.

Despite what may seem like a low score in comparison to its overall rating does not mean I didn't enjoy it as usual it delivered a great comedy with its crazy cast. The problem with the story is that it parodies harems which is great but if you do it too much the story will become a parody in itself. Especially with Kodaka's development this season but at least it is starting to get serious and the series ends with you literally demanding more by the end of it if you are a fan. Though in a season where you have anime that have absolutely incredible stories that will stick with you for your life such as Pyscho Pass and Shin Sekai Yori and while different genres it just shines through that how the core of the story by itself as it stands needs to improve.

However the true strength of the series lies within the characters which are a colourful cast of crazy but in different ways it makes you think how the more normal females from the student council will fit into this or if they are not as normal as they appear. Basically if you loved the first season the 2nd won't dissappoint you however if you are an idiot with love on your mind the lack of romance will drive you crazy. Sure there is development but all it is at best is just blushing between characters since Kodaka himself happily admits he is too cowardly to do anything about it.

Well this is a hit or miss really I know some people who despise this art style I am one of those that adores it and that it really flows well with the series and that this artist has yet to dissappoint me.

How I rate sound is a little different to some reviewers because I include the ending and the opening as well while sweet neither will be memorable or songs I will listen to again either. While it blends well with the anime there is nothing that really stands out but in a series where sound isn't really that important it doesn't really matter to be honest. If a good soundtrack is needed in every entertainment you watch or play you have certainly come to watch the wrong series.

Now onto the important part this is what makes Boku wa Tomodachi stand out in its genre.

Kodaka: Still has some problems as the 'harem lead' which stop me from personally liking him since its hard for me to really like any of them but he certainly is much better than most his kind. His main problem in this season is his cowardice however as soon as he starts to develop and confront it also see what damage his cowardice has done the damn anime ends how cruel. I was really looking forward to seeing Kodaka grow as a character too but the anime ends before he is given the chance. As it stands I can't like him as he is right now but it would be hard to find a better lead that blends well with the other characters.

Sena: Crazy, crazy and very crazy but that's what makes you great Sena. She is openly crazy and more straight forward than the other characters despite her incredible academic and physical prowess she just wants to play galge games. What I like most about Sena is how she develops and stays true to herself and despite her crazy ways has a charm to her. Also out of the female characters across the net and in the character polls she remains on top and I can't blame them to be honest.

Yozora: While she lost a lot of popularity from viewers of the show because of her cruel ways in the first season its easy to understand why she behaved the way she did. She acts strong but in reality is probably the weakest of them all and I hope we get to find out what made her become repulsed by large groups of people. In terms of character growth she has had the most and while she has changed a little is still mostly her self but I think Kodaka behaves how he does to protect her since everytime it looks like he will leave her side she looks like she will have a mental breakdown. There is still more to this character and I look forward to finding out the truth behind your strong cruel facade to cover your fragile self.

Kate: Not too much to right about with Maria's older sister she seems to like Kodaka mainly because he is so kind to Maria and that seems to be about it really to be honest she needs far more development as a character unless the author decides she will remain forever as a cute funny character in the background.

Kobato: The relationship between kodaka and his sister is great and Kodaka makes a pretty awesome older brother as the cute younger sister she isn't too overbearing but again there is something about her being kept hidden. Despite her popularity she tries to run away from getting too close to people maybe she is like her older brother or perhaps something else whatever it is I hope she will get some more character development.

Maria: A little too hyper and overbearing for me and her character like her older sister just seems too simple at the moment the only difference is that Kate is more likable as a character than a little girl who has a constant sugar rush.

Rika: Ah Rika you gained some popularity this season as during the first you were on the sidelines too much and were just seen as a perverted genius. Fans were happy to see you have development and found you became much cuter. However things would be nice if they were that simple. According to a friend of mine because Rika's character was tanking so hard in comparison to Sena and Yozora the author was told to re-invent her thus her character has become a horrible mess. I like Kodaka find Rika very confusing she drops her glasses saying she never needed them to begin with...Okay that's a little wierd, starts repeatedly changing her image as if to say do you like me yet Kodaka? Then reveals more about herself to play the sympathy card and when her realtionship with Kodaka develops she breaks off from her perverted personality to becoming a little tsundere for some reason.

While at the end the showdown between her and Kodaka was damn awesome as we get to see Kodaka confront his fears but ultimately too late the problem is as Kodaka pointed out Rika has the most problems out of all the girls and why she even likes Kodaka is a mystery. She has no real connection unlike the Sena and Yozora but her meddling has meant Yozora has lost her advantage over Rika and Sena and to be honest I can't like a character like Rika who tries way too hard to be liked have a lot more respect for Sena and Yozora. I feel that if the main lead doesn't like Rika for who she is then he isn't worth her time and she should look elsewhere.

Yukimura: While it was great to see Yukimura finally have some development the problem is that Yukimura is on the forever friends route and will probably never get off it and its shame as I would like to see more development to Yukimura's character and I can't say much more than that for spoiler reasons.

Aoi and Hinata: Can't wait to see how they will fit into the series with the rest of the characters especially since Hinata and Aoi have the personality where they accept someone regardless of how they look which matters a lot to Kodaka who is judged as a no good deliquent.

Special Mention Pegasus (Sena's papa) : This guy is hilarious while his role becomes more minor as new characters introduced every scene with him in it will bring a smile to your face.

Final score 7.5 The story needs to stand out a bit more and stop cutting off at the good parts and if inferior series like Sakarsou no Pet get two seasons in a row I don't see why this can't either especially with its level of popularity. A reccomended watch for anyone into Harem series without continous fanservice.

Tetsuaya's avatar By on Sep 23, 2015

After watching the first season, I was hyped to watch the NEXT.

Unfortunately, I was left on the side of the road like a perfectly good pen.  I had a feeling of being used but still wanting to prove my worth.

It is a cliff hanger similar to Inuyasha...  it may take another 8 years before they give us an ending.

RoyalOss's avatar By on Apr 1, 2015

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT

The second season. Not as much ecchi, more harem, little bit more of a storyline. But still a pretty average 1 out of a million show. And that sums up season 2.

The animation is still as good as season 1 and the music just as unnoticeable as.

There however have been big changes and development in some characters.

Kodaka, still the main harem lead. But his role has took a turn for the worse, unfortunately he ends up as your regular deny what you hear character who covers up confessions with ''what? Sorry didn’t hear you'' or by simply running away. At least he realizes himself that he is a weak coward but that does not make it any more pleasant to see how he hurts all other girls.

Yozora, in season 1 she was basically a bully which made it hard to like her, but her personality really improved and she became a nice person.

Sena, not much change here but with the more background story and screen time she is the most likeable character on the show, in my opinion.

Rika did a 180 turn and went from the pervert scientist towards a pervert harem girl who changes her looks every episode.

Yukimara, plot twist! Kind of expectable plot twist, which wasn’t that good as well. But he remains the background butler.

Yuna, the new girl, because two lollis weren`t enough, at least this one is much older.

It would have been a 0,5 improvement over season one if it didn’t end that badly with Kadoka’s personality.

Also note this show ends with a big cliffhanger and I haven’t heard anything about season 3 coming out anytime soon.

+0,3 for the improved story
+0,2 for the improved Yozora
-0,5 for Kodaka
+0,2 for Rika wearing the pants  / having the balls in ithis show

6.2/10 overall
ratchet573's avatar By on Mar 30, 2015

Haganai NEXT is everything you loved about Haganai…minus everything you loved about Haganai. Rather than focusing on the Neighbor Club doing fun things like the first season did, this twelve episode fiasco decides that the club room is way more fun. So what we get is a slog of an anime with no redeeming qualities aside from the fact it ends.

If I were to rate the story, I’d give it a nonexistent out of five. The beginning of this season is nothing but episodic garbage where Sena likes Kodaka, Yozora likes Kodaka, Rikka likes Kodaka; so on and so forth. There’s some humor to be found, especially in the club’s one outing to an amusement park, but what little is there is not enough to sate even the biggest fans thirst. Later on there’s a minor plot about making a film for the cultural festival (a la Haruhi Suzumiya) but that only leads to an anticlimax and then segues to the worst ending I can possibly imagine a harem having.

I’ve bitched about bad harem main characters before. The idea of the character not picking a girl is tied to the whole “fantasy” thing where you as the viewer need to put yourself in his shoes and decide. That’s the essence of many visual novels and I don’t think the folks who make anime understand that story telling in a visual novel works because, in the end, you’ve picked a girl to go with after being ambiguous and deciding for a while. In an anime, you cannot stay at that ambiguous phase. It’s annoying to have a show that boils down to a guy needing to decide on the girl he wants to date and then the show says “Nope”. Then what’s the point? Is the point of having a harem to have a bunch of platonic relationships that go nowhere and mean nothing? As a viewer, it’s boring. I’ve put myself in his shoes and obviously he needs to be dating Sena! I decided that, like, the first episode.

What pisses me off even further is that Kodaka is betrothed to Sena. Yeah, they were childhood friends before he met Yozora. And Sena wants to marry him; she’s in love. And what does he do? He fucking runs away! This leads to Rika confronting him on the rooftop of the school in one of the most meta/stupid scenes I’ve ever seen. Rika is controlling metal balls with her mind and telling Kodaka what a pussy he is. It leads to a huge action scene that you’d think would end with Kodaka realizing that, while dating one of them would break up the club dynamic, who gives a shit when you’re hurting more people than you’re helping?

Nope, instead we end with Kodaka approaching Sena, possibly to decide to be with her, probably not. It doesn’t matter because we get a stupid goddam interruption by their phones. Did I mention this series likes to end scenes where we could see development by abruptly having a phone ring or a rush of air breeze by?

In the end, Yozora has run away after Sena’s confession and all I can say is good riddance. With her out of the way, why not FUCKING MARRY SENA?

Or don’t and instead wait for the third season…that never came thank God.

One of my biggest problems with NEXT comes from Kodaka and Rikka, both of whom have obviously changed a little between season one and two. Kodaka is more perverted now, while Rikka is kind of a yandere. It’s a minor thing but very noticeable when you watch both seasons back to back.

If you want to see more about the characters, read my review of the first season. What they boil down to is Yozora’s a bitch, Sena is awesome, Rika is funny but nuts, Kodaka is a pussy, Maria is an annoying loli, Kobato is just kinda there and Yukimura the he/she maid is actually a she but wants to be a he.

Also, I want to mention Kate, Maria’s big sister. She’s a nun who drinks a lot of cola and is ridiculously hot…until the first anime fart joke I’ve heard since Naruto. She walks away after ripping ass and says “Oh, that’s a wet one!”.

And the Lord said, let your boner recede into you and come out the other side like a tail. And it did.

There are also a couple new characters in the student council but they make such minor appearances and have so little character I won’t even worry about it.

On top of everything else being a downgrade, the animation has also taken a plunge. It’s not bad at all but the crispness and beauty of season one has given way to cheaper looking animation.

The opening and ending are pretty average. The English dub continued to be a decent substitution for the Japanese version, though Kodaka’s voice actor annoys me, and not just because of Kodaka. He sounds so dumb and the whole performance is phoned in. At least everyone else seems to be enjoying what little the script has to offer.

If forcing your way through something is entertaining for you, then go ahead and be my guest. But Haganai NEXT was nothing new or interesting, it was a painful downgrade from the first season. I think the most entertainment I had was watching my friend burst a fucking vein in his forehead at how pissed he was at Kodaka. Though I think I burst one as well.

If you watched Haganai and wanted to see the further adventures of the cute cast, then you’re going to be pissed with what is presented here. It’s a downgrade in every department, has no redeeming qualities aside from an occasional laugh, and fails on every front to provide you with a satisfactory romance, nor a satisfactory slice-of-life experience. It’s plainly obvious this was made to cash in on the success of the first season with no care given to anything about it.

It’s the worst sequel I’ve watched in a long time and one of the most disappointing anime of the past couple years. Do yourself a favor and neglect its existence.

2.5/10 overall
midnightxrose21's avatar By on Mar 10, 2015

I was upset of how this ended and near around the end, it just got a little out of hand in my opinion. Again, another relaxing slife of life anime, but this season kinda had some craziness in the mix.