Blue Submarine No. 6

Alt titles: Ao no 6 go

roriconfan's avatar By roriconfan on Mar 29, 2012

STORY SECTION: 5/10 [Damn you GONZO! You keep doing the same mistakes, over and over. Very good visuals and promising stories that are always ruined by your apathy at keeping the pace of a series as good as it begins. Shame on you!]
Analysis: Premise 2/2, Pacing 1/2, Complexity 1/2, Plausibility 1/2, Conclusion 0/2

Post-apocalyptic world, animal-like mutants, a submarine out to save what’s left of humanity by an insane scientist, and some more typical elements, packed in only 2 hours. The main theme of the story is hardly original. The pace of the story is almost predictable. The conclusion is on the other hand promising but fails to wrap the story smoothly or even to make sense. You almost feel like the scriptwriters were not given enough time and ended the story in a rush, unfulfilling way. The scenario clearly needed more episodes and development in order to run smoothly and to make sense. As it is, it feels like a lot of fuss happened for no reason and the conclusion will leave you more frustrated rather than satisfied. It had potential for greatness, thanks to all the talking about humanity’s greed and ecology. It didn’t make use of it though and thus the story is half good. A typical GONZO mistake.

CHARACTER SECTION: 3/10 [And as the main development begins, we see the ending credits.]
Analysis: Presence 1/2, Personality 1/2, Backdrop 1/2, Development 0/2, Catharsis 0/2

- As it is, the only character with interest is the “evil” scientist, who wants to wipe out humanity. He has a good reason for what he is doing and is not a typical bad to the bone villain.
- The only thing the rest of the characters do is fighting for or against him, instead of having personality and goals of their own. There is supposed to be some personal drama around the leading man and woman but given the short duration of the series, it will feel uninteresting. All the whining and crying of the shark-like leader and the renegade female mutant feel more like pointless torture time, rather than reason for acting as they do. None of the characters has much coloring or development because of the duration. Most seem to have something interesting to show but nothing of such is shown in the end.
- Even the scientist is not that great, as his plan is not given enough time to be explained. I mean, destroying humanity and most of the world just to replace sentient life with a race of warlike animals? How will that help the planet? Duh!

ART SECTION: 8/10 [3D mutants never looked so well.]
Analysis: General Artwork 2/2, Character Figures 1/2, Backgrounds 2/2, Animation 1/2, Visual Effects 2/2

- This is amongst the first anime that managed to mix 2D and 3D without making it look utterly stupid. There is a huge amount of details and colors given to almost everything, making the optical department a sight of sore eyes.
- Realism in motion is quite good, although casual viewers will probably dislike the way 3D objects move and the mannerism of the characters. They both look weird and not natural, something that was expected for an early CGI work. But it’s not like GONZO learned from its mistakes and improved later on.
- Anyway, the animation takes some time to get used to but it eventually becomes bearable. The 3D doesn’t always look ok next to the 2D but if we think this is GONZO we are talking about, we must give them a credit for taking animation in anime to a whole new level with this title. Really; just check how lame all previous attempts were. Hell, just check how uninteresting most upcoming 3D anime were. This is truly amazing; a feat not that many anime have managed to surpass even by today.
- Other than that, the character designs were way too generic and simplistic to the point you cared more about the backgrounds and the action instead of them. This tends to make them less interesting than the theme of the story.

SOUND SECTION: 7/10 [Funky rhythms and ouga bouga drums.]
Analysis: Voice Acting 2/3, Music Themes 3/4, Sound Effects 2/3

- Jazz for humans and tribal for mutants. Hehe, it almost made it sound like a strategy game with themed factions. It was a nice touch. Not that any of the music themes are memorable but they have spunk. Some thought that the music was inappropriate during battle scenes or during the dramatic conclusion. I say it is far more atmospheric than in most anime. What the hell did you people wanted? Blood boiling music in battles and some sad ballad in the end? This is neither a war drama nor some cheesy mecha series. It is this alternative take to the cliché that does the trick. So, ok, they do tend to be monotonous in the long run but the feeling of originality almost overshadows this glitch.
- Voice acting was decent, although the voice synk for mutants feels more like dubbing than actually listening to what they say with groans and barks, their native language. Beyond all that, the context in the dialogues is very philosophical and scientific. You must actually pay attention to what they say. Do you learn anything new out of all this talking? Not really; the context is pretty mainstream in such kind of series. At least, you won’t be skipping entire pointless blah, blah parts, something most series suffer from.

VALUE SECTION: 1/10 [Value your planet and recycle.]
Historical Value 0/3: (none)
Rewatchability 0/3: (What for? There is nothing much to gain from a second watch.)
Memorability 1/4: Way too typical story and plot.

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 3/10
It turns out the aesthetic feeling of the series is better than the story and the characters together. It helps to keep you watching but not to like what you watch. Bzzz! Not much enjoyment.

VERDICT: 5/10
- The submarine is sinking! Abandon ship! –How will we do that sir? We are 5.000 feet underwater. – Oh, crap…

SUGGESTION LIST
Captain Planet. A ridiculously childish ecological cartoon.
Earth Girl Arjuna. Nice ecological concept, boring presentation.
Waterworld uses the same “melting the ice caps” idea. It is still stupid as a movie.
Blue Gender has a similar feeling to it.
Yellow Submarine. For those of you who like old songs, silly graphics and insane stories.
Nausicaa of the valley of the wind. Movie for kids, my butt. It is of the same duration as Blue Submarine No. 6 and yet manages to tell you ten times more things. And just try to read the clearly longer and superior manga version.

bwing55543's avatar By bwing55543 on Jan 1, 2011

Zorndyke, a once well-respected scientist, waged war on humanity by melting the polar ice caps and unleashing his army of mutants. Humankind's last hope lies in Blue Fleet, submarines that fight the war. When the question of the war going nuclear becomes apparent, it is up to Hayami Tetsu to find a way to resolve the war without further needless destruction to either side.

Blue Submarine No. 6's main strength lies in its story. Coupled with a potent atmosphere, Blue 6 creates a haunting post-apocalyptic world to use as a backdrop in this war story. Despite this OVA being set around a war, the story benefits more from the parts where there is a lul in the action, allowing the OVA to develop the characters and the world around them.

The characters were as deep as a 4-part OVA would let them be, but Blue 6's length and the shear number of characters naturally resulted in many side characters getting the short end of the stick; besides Hayami, Kino, and a few other major characters, I would be hard-pressed to even remember the names of most of the crew of Blue 6.

I did appreciate Zorndyke's mutant army getting their fare share of screen time. While the commander Verg, a creature whose resemblance to a dog is as great as it is to a human, seemed like precisely the murderous monster humans make Zorndyke's army out to be, you find out that neither he nor anyone else are what they initially seem to be. The most interesting character was Mutio, a fish woman whose life Hayami spared early on. While she was a largely non-speaking character, she probably had the most fascinating development over the course of Blue 6.

While the idea behind Blue 6 was a good one, it was not presented in the best way. I was particularly disappointed in the quality of the visuals. While the traditional hand-drawn cel animation generally looked decent, Blue 6 was perhaps a little too in love with the CG animation, which looked awful. Cowboy Bebop came out the same year as Blue 6 and ostensibly had a smaller per episode budget due to being a 26-episode TV series rather than a 4-part OVA, yet Bebop had CG that looked fantastic and, more importantly, there wasn't the excessive amounts present as there were in Blue 6.

Besides sacrificing time for the characters, it is also because of how poorly animated they were that Blue 6 probably would have benefitted from fewer battle scenes, most of which took place underwater. A lot of the mecha simply didn't look convincing and the overall look of the visuals resembles a video game that came out at around the time this anime was released; the same visuals would've been excellent if they were made for a Nintendo 64 game, not for an OVA.

The sound of Blue 6 did fare a little better than the look. For the most part, the voice acting was very good. I thought Zorndyke's and Hayami's seiyuu stood out the most. The music was made up of pretty catchy jazz pieces. While the ending theme "Minasoko ni Nemure" was a neat jazz song, many of the tunes played during the episodes didn't fit their scenes very well. The scene at the beginning of part 4 in which Verg expresses his frustration to Mutio after she saved Hayami's life comes to mind with this; that scene would have been just fine without any music at all but the jazz playing as Verg shouts with his immense rage was just out of place.

Overall, I would recommend watching Blue Submarine No. 6 for its story and characters, particularly for its fresh take on some themes which can be a little trite, such as "Can't we all just get along?". It is a little disappointing that how Blue 6 was presented was what is keeping it from being a great anime instead of a moderately good one.

galacticdude7's avatar By galacticdude7 on Apr 4, 2010

-Story-

The story seemed to be pretty good for the most part, and provided me with some good entertainment. I did like the idea of Humanity fighting for its survival, even though it is not an original concept. However I did not like the rogue scientist idea, and thought that it had been overdone and stereotypical. What bothered me the most was how ridiculous the enemies of humanity looked. I would have prefered it if they had not been shown. One thing that I did like about it was that it had a good main idea that it got across and made it very clear.

-Animation-

As I have mentioned before, the enemies looked horrible, They were almost as ridiculous as Jar Jar Binks. They used some computer animation, which I feel that it made it feel like it wasn't part of the series, but just to show off the computer technology of the time.

-Characters-

The characters were mostly good, and they were not one dimensional characters. They each had different characteristics and were complex. They had tensions with eachother as well as with themselves.

-Overall-

This is an okay series that felt like it should have been a movie instead of a series. It wasn't perfect, but it was ok.

6.5/10 story
7.5/10 characters
Naga's avatar By Naga on Nov 1, 2013

Old but go-… yeah, old. It’s one of Gonzo’s earlier works… you know, that studio known for inconsistent animation. Yeah, this one wasn’t an exception. Shitty CGI , which is sort of a trademark in Gonzo anime, is present in this one all the way, and from today’s standards standpoint, it looks even worse. I didn’t really mind it that much, though. I managed to find a lot of other things about this show that were more deserving of attention.

First off, I’d like to point out that it’s one of those subtle ‘love nature’ anime. The premise is not the most original one, and neither is the setting, but it never became a problem with this one. It had a clear direction from the start, and the way plot resolved was very intriguing, combined with a really satisfying ending, it was definitely worth it. While it may not be richest anime with the mentioned concept, it still managed to tell its story in a fresh way. Sure, plot is lacking and not everything is explored as much as it should have, but that’s mostly because of the short duration, which doesn’t actually excuse it but only makes you sad because there’s no more.

Characters were fine. Funny enough, the most significant development happened 3 minutes before the end, and that is not good at all. If they added more time after that, and went into in a bit further, I’m sure I’d like it way more. As it is now, we’ve met them properly, and everyone that mattered was flashed out good enough for us to care. Everyone has a reason to be here, and everyone is contributing something. As I’ve said: it’s fine.

Music was damn fine, definitely better than the animation. I doubt that most people would listen to any OST outside the anime, but I found it good enough to squeeze some extra credit in there.

All in all: it’s short, to the point and worth the watch. It executed its premise well, and gave a good ending that didn’t feel shallow at all. And if you have a thing for monstergirls like me… yeah…

(It got its first doujinshi  AFTER 14 YEARS of existing, 1 week after I saw it, and it just happened to feature the pairing I’d love to see happen! Who’s a lucky bastard?)

4.5/10 animation