Blue Flames

Alt titles: Aoki Honoo

PandaBeard's avatar By PandaBeard on May 13, 2010

I have no idea how I stumbled upon this doozie. All I can say is "wow". Blue Flame had many different effects on me. When I read the description about the plot I was thrown off by its main character Ryuuichi. I thought that he was going to be a nice, young, adolescent teen just working hard at maybe his family owned restaurant, but oh no. In this case our main character turns out be a deceitful, despicable, and deplorable character in the vein of american teens of soap opera quality.This is defiantly one for the American anime lover who would watch new or old Beverly Hills 90210, Melrose Place, and the O.C. I do have to say that caution to the younger crowd, Its rating says young teens and I am sure that most of teens today can handle it but I does have the occasional nude and intercourse scene ( I will not make your choices, I am not easily offended, but I will not take the blame for your young eyes and the parents roof you may live under). The animation is sloppy and old. Totally VHS quality but I really can not fault it for coming out in 1989, still a decent plot for its age. If anything that would really be this OVA's saving grace would be its sountrack. It is perfect mixture of dance/electronica straight from the 80's early 90's, which by the way is making comeback through out the Indie music scene. (For DJ's its a must have!). In conclusion it is defiantly not the worse anime I have ever seen. It is dated, music makes up for it. I would like to see it be remade in this day and age with new higher quality viewing available to us now. I would have liked to see this be more than an OVA. There seemed that there could have been more story if budget or whatever other reasons could have hindered this content. 5.5/10

PandaBeard!

5.5/10 overall
psiness's avatar By psiness on May 1, 2010

It was kind of hard to rate the story, animation and what not because of the age of this OVA, but that aside, I did sort of enjoy this. By "sort of", what I really mean is, I wanted to like it a lot more than I did. It was good enough to keep my attention, but the ending left me feeling a little unsatisfied. There's not really much else to say about it. If you want a prime example of a guy acting like a giant dick, then this is perfect for you. If you'll get angry about it, I'd avoid this. Also, again, if you're looking for a nice clear ending, I wouldn't look at this, either.