Blast of Tempest

Alt titles: Zetsuen no Tempest: The Civilization Blaster

kisekinophenix's avatar By kisekinophenix on Sep 3, 2014

Amazing anime with quite a number of unexpected plot twist here and there .A good balance of romance and magic-action .Personally feel that it is a anime very worth watching with good graphics and plot ;)

Seancoco's avatar By Seancoco on Sep 2, 2014

*** SPOILER FREE SHORT REVIEW ***

If you can look past the somewhat pointless Shakespeare quotes and references, and if you can let the whole Trees of world crushing power and the somewhat confusing factions of random mages slide, then it's actually a fantastic show. The character development is somewhat slow paced but brilliant. The twists in the story keep you guessing and for me personally I couldn't stop watching until I knew all the answers to the questions you would constantly be asking yourself. Although I found the ending somewhat disappointing, I still enjoyed the show in it's entirety. For me it was like the TV show "Lost", nothing to do with the stories being similar, but just in the way it keeps you guessing and coming up with your own theories, to reveal more twists that just keep you tuning into the next episode. After such a build up the ending never really does match the viewers expectations but if a mystery, romance, action drama sounds like something you'd enjoy, I would assume this won't disappoint!

FreyaWinter's avatar By FreyaWinter on Mar 30, 2013

This was an incredible anime with alot of romance and action and mystery mixed in to one. This anime might not seem like anything at first but keep watching, because this was one of the most epic story's I have ever seen in an anime. It will keep you guessing untill the very end and the romance and magic mixed together in this way was truly amazing. I liked the art work and the way the story keeps suprising you. I hade read it's description many times before actually watching it and the way they describe the anime isn't really fair to how good it actually turned out to be it hits my top 10 anime for romance and magic. It's very emotionall intense and a bit on the darker side but this anime is all about the story the action and magic is just part of it but what makes this anime is the romance part. It was also a very sad theme with alot of death and sadness in it. However I promise you that if you start watching you wont want to stop it's just one of those anime you cant stop watching untill the end.

BigOnAnime's avatar By BigOnAnime on Mar 28, 2013

Trees destroying the world. Now this is interesting, not.

Blast of Tempest is a show where nothing matters, absolutely nothing. It's simply pretentious BULLSHIT!

It's got all powerful magic trees that pop out of nowhere, uninteresting and hardly developed characters, quotes from Hamlet for no reason, people just standing there for FIVE EPISODES debating about nonsense (Where the villain even helps his enemy, and later the villain and his enemies for NO REASON all of a sudden become friends), absolutely atrocious pacing that goes from way too fast to way too slow, and more things.

I can't even begin to really describe the story because of how much of a mess it is (It's almost as messy as BONES' last awful work, Eureka Seven AO), which is the result of the pacing being ridiculously fast in the beginning, and there being absolutely NO COHESION. The events don't flow well together whatsoever. It starts out with something about Mahiro's sister being murdered, a half-naked mage being left on an island to die, and other stuff that later does not matter much.

It then rushes through everything, and does not even spend time to have you get to know the characters well (And no, the backstory does not count because that backstory did not prove to be relevant enough to the "plot"), or have you get to know the setting. How am I supposed to care about anything in this show if they don't even bother to take the time to build up their characters and setting? You can not even really tell what the hell is going on because of how it jumps from event to event in an atrocious way, with there being no cohesion as I've stated earlier. This is really something that shouldn't be that hard to mess up. One of the most important things in a show is pacing, and placing of events. You need to have a story flow well so the viewer knows what is going on, and is getting a good deal of storytelling.

So come around halfway through the first half of the show, we then have humanity trying to stop a magical tree from destroying the world. All of a sudden the two groups that are fighting each other then engage in a pretentious debate about time travel, the murder, and other crap for no reason. It seems like this stuff matters, but in the end it doesn't because after FIVE EPISODES of this crap with them just standing there, debating, another tree pops up, and saves the world, so their debate DIDN'T EVEN MATTER! Yeah, let's debate and let a tree interrupt our pointless conversation. Oh and apparently that magic tree ends up dictating everything humanity does, stops crime and other stuff, but we never learn one bit about how that's supposed to work.

After that, the show goes under a genre shift, from some "serious" adventure where people are trying to save the world to just your ordinary school setting (Minus the school), and them trying to find some wimpy guy known as the Mage of Exodus, which they later find, but have no clue if he is it when it's clearly obvious he is. Let's not forget how this show wasted time AGAIN with one of the most stupid things I've ever come across in anime. Two full episodes are spent on the character's going "Who's his girlfriend?!!!" when they should have known ALL ALONG! This just goes to show this show doesn't use its time wisely.

In the end, this show is a total failure that trolls its viewers, and the only thing is has going for it are the visuals (And just because a show has pretty visuals DOES NOT mean it's good, what really matters in the end are the story and characters, something this show doesn't have), and the soundtrack. Those that appreciate good characters, story, and shows that actually take the time to make you care about those things (Ex: One Piece, Nodame Cantabile, Eureka Seven, Neon Genesis Evangelion), avoid this at all costs. It is not worth the time.

applesauceful's avatar By applesauceful on Sep 27, 2014

Blast of Tempest was a show that left me wanting more. While it did conclude properly, I often feel that with most other anime I've watched, there should be at least an episode dedicated to the relationships built at the end of a series.

Besides that Blast of Tempest had a compelling storyline. A fine mix of drama, romance and the supernatural, it appeals to a very wide audience. I felt drawn to the main character Yoshino and his story, the loss of his girlfriend and the need to hide it from her brother (aka his best friend). The loss of his girlfriend was indeed depressing, especially since they seemed to have such a wonderful, fun relationship.

I was less impressed with Mahiro, who throughout the series is dealing with coming to terms with his step-sister's death and his feelings toward her. It's not as if he is unlikeable, I think it was more a question of personal taste than anything else.

Hakaze was another interesting character and without spoiling anything, the development of her ties to Yoshino and Mahiro are interesting to watch unfold.

Blast of Tempest is an amazing show that I'm glad to have watched. While I did come away with mixed feelings, this show is both immersive, dramatic and compelling. I can guarantee you'll be happy with the way everything turns out, but it's worth giving it a shot. The journey is far more important than the destination.