Black Rock Shooter

saintjimmy's avatar By saintjimmy on Sep 2, 2010

damn i was already hyped to see it when i saw the trailer to it i must of have watched it over 100 times now i will try not to spoil it but man it good it's like that movie Inception well not like it but u really need to watch ever second of it but my friend (Remy) who is maybe more then a bigger otaku then i am but who care he told me that he liked it but really did not think it was going to be big, i still think it was good the only thing i have with this ova is that were is the Miku Hatsune's song Black Rock Shooter yeah i know you hear a cover of it but i really wanted to see it with the ova but who cares in a nutshell very well done i have to give it to them they made a good story in 55 min and i know that any one can do a good story in 55 min but it's really good

WittyKatts's avatar By WittyKatts on Aug 16, 2010

The story was good, but trying to fit so much into one episode was just waaay too much. At the beginning, one second you would be watching a slice of life kinda thing, and then the next second it would just go to two girls in another world fighting each other. Extremely confusing much? At the end, you figure out how they are related, but a big question still remains: who the hell is BRS? You don't get any detail on that...zero. *spoiler* And if that isn't good enough, suddenly Yomi goes missing, and then we find out that she somehow got to the other world and was beating up BRS because of what was happening in this world and blah blah blah-WTF?

Animation:

I honestly don't know what to think of the animation. At some points, I think the animation looks competely awesome, but next thing you know, it's just plain crappy. That's all I have to say on that matter.

Sound:

The voice acting was good, then again, I'm not good at judging Japanese voice acting, so excuse me if it's actually terrible. xD Anyway, is it just me, or did they not use the BRS song sung by Miku, for the BRS anime? Seriously? Can't they fit two and two together, or are they really that retarded? If you're gonna make an anime about it, shouldn't they at least use the fricking song? Honestly...

Characters...for all I know, there's "School Girl 1", "School Girl 2", and "School Girl 3". I'm really bad at remembering character names, but because it was just one episode, I did not get a lot of time to remember them. I knew close to nothing about all of them, other than the fact School Girl 1 likes to go to a place overlooking her town, School Girl 2 moves with her family a lot, and School Girl 3 is an annoying little brat that School Girl 2 is jealous of. Amazing, right? They're the characters that make me want to sarcastically say, "How original".

Overall:

The story originated from a song, so I can't say it's good point is being original. Confusing, unoriginal, poor animation, no character developement...do I really need to go on? Overall, it's garbage, crap, not even good enough to be flushed down a public toilet. Don't watch it. It's a waste of time. :T It you want a story watch the MV for BRS. That's way more interesting than this shit.

5.5/10 overall
trzr23's avatar By trzr23 on Mar 3, 2011

trzr23 Black Rock Shooter

When I got my first taste of anime through Pokemon, I instantly fell in love with this unique form of art. Soon after, Dragon Ball Z and Naruto entered my life, and my craving for anime began. Another otaku was born. Flash forward few years and I run into MAL. I was completely overwhelmed by the sheer number of anime out there. And the substantial amount of topics that anime were based on, ranging from supernatural wonders such as mecha, comedy, angels, devils, demons, ghosts to down-to-earth scenarios involving school, love, marriage, lust, law, psychology and sports. Almost every anime brought something new to the table. Just when the shounens were getting stale, a beautiful slice of life would pop out of nowhere and wow me with its simplistic charm. Every anime brought to life the thoughts and ideas of its creators and let the viewer sit back and enjoy a concept, more than an animated show.

But when it comes to Black Rock Shooter, I don’t get it. I just don’t understand what the anime was trying to achieve. Is it a slice of life high school anime with some random parallel universe duels thrown in? Or is it the reverse, a parallel universe duel with some random slice of life high school moments thrown in? If I knew the answers to that, then my opinion of this 50 minute OVA might have been different. But sadly, me, and thousands of other disappointed fans out there, don’t.

~This is purely a review of the anime OVA and does not cover the hype and marketing strategies of Ordet~

trzr23

Black★Rock Shooter is about the friendship of two girls (I think). Mato, on her first day of high school, meets Yomi, another fresher. Soon, they become good friends and what follows is a tale of loyalty and trust. Meanwhile, in a parallel universe, two women scantily clad in gothic clothing, battle it out, one wielding a massive sword and the other holstering a gigantic gun.

The confusion of BRS starts right from the title. What is that ★ doing there? Does that mean we need to call it BlackStarRock Shooter? Or is it just a form of Japanese numerology, like adding exclamation marks wherever the creator feels like it? Alright, fine, it’s just a name, so I’ll leave it at that. Unfortunately, the anime doesn’t. It just piles on too much content. And that is exactly where BRS falls apart – there is too much too much potential for just fifty minutes.

If you just stop and think about it, the concept of BRS is pretty damn good. Two girls entwined in a bittersweet tale of friendship, while their otherworldly alter-egos beat the living hell out of each other in another dimension. Sounds interesting, right? Sure, there are some clichéd moments and the characters are nothing out of the ordinary, but it is very entertaining. It’s gripping and keeps your attention the entire time. Right from the first minute, your eyes are glued to the screen. While you’re following the innocent lives of the two girls, the anime suddenly throws in with the duel between the two female warriors. The action is excellent and the fight sequences are terrific. Put them both together and you have a highly absorbing watch. However, such a complex and engaging storyline is too large to squeeze into a feature that lasts less than an hour.

trzr23

The animation is the main reason I’m giving this anime a pretty decent score. It’s awesome. The school setting is drawn perfectly, with no moe or loli anywhere and this is pretty neat, considering a show about two girls always features at least one of those. The dark, gloomy planet is drawn perfectly and exudes a morose atmosphere thanks to the picture-perfect shade selections and varied camera angles. The azure copper sulphate blue eye fire of one of the duelists was slick.

The soundtrack was simple and efficient. Not much to say here.

Overall, BRS is an anime that has remarkable presentation and an exciting story, but it is snowed under the countless mistakes that this anime makes.

[ THE WRAP-UP ]

Black Rock Shooter is another anime that joins the list of could-have, may-have and might-have’s. With an extraordinarily short length for an anime series (50 minutes) and lack of a sequel, one cannot but doubt the reason for its creation. Complex and intriguing as the story maybe, random events, clichéd characters, predictable plot and an astonishingly abrupt ending play spoil sport to this technically sound anime. Still, it is entertaining while it lasts and at the end of the day, you get a taste of both slice of life and action, which is pretty impressive. Dive in expecting something awesome and you’re bound to be drenched in disappointment. It’s good, but that’s about high as it gets. A square 7 couldn’t be any more befitting than for Black Rock Shooter.

Rating:

6.5/10

I welcome feedback and I'm open to discussion. This review (content and pictures) are taken from my original post at my blog. Thank you for your time ^^

Yanagi13's avatar By Yanagi13 on Jan 27, 2011

Synopsis

On her first day of Middle School, Kuroi Mato meets Takanashi Yomi, a new student transferring from Germany. The two become acquainted after discovering they enjoy each other’s company, and over the course of the school year develop into best friends. On the side however, a battle is raging in an alternate world between several strange beings, each possessing unique qualities very similar to those of the main protagonists. And when Yomi suddenly goes missing, only her closest friend can divide the rift and attempt to save her life.

Story (4/10)

Assessing the plot of this anime is difficult because this entire OVA serves solely as an introductory sequence. There is no actual “plot” although two small stories do present themselves throughout the anime, and as was needed, the two eventually converged to become one. From what I understand, this anime is based off of a song called well... Black Rock shooter, by Supercell.

The first, and most important storyline introduces the two protagonists Mato and Yomi. Both are awkward and inept at making friends, and much of the first half of the OVA is designated to the ups and downs of their relationship. The other scene dictates the struggle between two otherworldly beings, Black Rock Shooter and her nemesis Dead Master. The two people battle continuously in a bizarre setting incorporating jagged cliffs and black on white tiles. A connection is formed between both sets of characters, due to their extreme facial similarities, though the rest remains shadowed throughout the OVA.

Animation (9/10)

The animation of Black Rock Shooter is next to gorgeous, and is slightly above average for a 2010 anime. This is most likely to due to the fact that it’s an OVA, but I was very much impressed nonetheless. Movement is fluid and believable, and though the use of CGI for vehicles was a bit of a disappointment, I was easily able to look past this small flaw without much strain.

Simple and highly stylized artistic renderings are used to their best advantage in Black Rock Shooter, the most common details sacrificed being tiny facial attributes such as the visible contours of character’s ears. An elegant design makes up for the hair movement, accented by small and precise features.

Character designs are fairly average, though each important character did receive a special color donated to them alone, Mato’s and Yomi’s being blue and green respectively. This is mirrored from their personalities, and also promotes the use of shape and tint symbolism. An example of this would be the constant reappearance of five-pointed-stars, representing Black Rock Shooter.

Battle motion is done very well, even in accordance with this anime’s simple backdrops and character designs. This only means that flying debris doesn’t play a large role in Black Rock Shooter, and is instead replaced by sudden appearances of brown smoke whenever something explodes or is struck. It’s an attractive form of graphics no matter which way you examine it from, and there is nothing truly bothersome about Black Star Shooter’s animation as a whole, other than the CGI.

Sound (8/10)

Black Star Shooter’s music is particularly well performed, and it definitely does what it’s supposed to do, that being heightening the viewer’s experience. Something I noticed is that the sound changes drastically at times, and can go from a calm vocal tune to a hardcore drum beat to a hip-hop rhythm in a span of under a minute. Now that isn’t necessarily a bad thing, and in this case managed to hold my attention with its pulsating randomness alone. Of course, it isn’t random at all considering the fact that each track is very suited to its individual scene, from the most serene moment of friendship to an all-out battle sequence. The music changes along with the animation and emotional aspects of the series, which accompanied it just fine.

The voice acting is extremely well done, even for a 2010 OVA. Each seiyu matched her character perfectly. Note how I said her, because I don’t believe any male voices were utilized for this series, because the only male character is Mato’s younger brother. A woman of course voices him, leaving only female protagonists.

Characters (5/10)

Considering how short an anime Black Rock Shooter is, the fact the characters aren’t formed particularly well doesn’t surprise me. Although both Mato and Yomi develop from the start, it does leave much to be anticipated, mostly because the ending is basically the beginning. Now, development didn’t need to play an enormous role, but I was disappointed in the formation of the characters. Each possesses a separate personality and separate characteristics, but they don’t go beyond “quirky” or “reserved.” Each is as you expect them to be, and develops how you would assume they should. There is nothing wrong with this of course, but put blandly, it could have been much better.

As I stated in the animation section, color plays a huge role in the style of Black Rock Shooter. The character represented by blue is naturally naive, while green epitomizes Yomi’s emotionally reserved tendencies. This also creates a parallel to Black Rock Shooter and Dead Master, who persist their battle continuously as the short progresses.

Overall (6.5/10)

Despite some complications, this anime is worth watching for those who enjoy the genre. It won’t be obsessed over like others are, but should hold the viewer’s interest throughout the entirety of fifty minutes, which isn’t a great feat, but still reflects that it presented to me some enjoyment. For many, it’ll be worth watching for the animation alone, although I don’t tend to refrain or be attracted to something simply because it’s animation is good or if it’s terrible. Either way, fifty minutes is still fifty minutes, and I see no reason why this anime shouldn’t be enjoyed for what it is.

JainaProudmoore's avatar By JainaProudmoore on Jan 30, 2011

I was not sure what to expect when I started watching Black Rock Shooter. I knew it had a decent following as far as artork went and I was familiar with the song bearing the same name. However, after watching for 50 minutes, I decided it fell somewhere between mediocrity and art.

While the first long while of the animation may leave some a little alienated (I came to see action, not slice of life!) I found it quite nice. The relationship between the two protagonists was quite well done, albeit a bit shallow. As we continue to witness their characters develop (at a snail's pace), we are greeted by some other scenes with dark, chilling atmospheres. This was what I was expecting: quick paced, jolty action scenes with blows and shots flying left to right. Hoorah! These scenes of undeniably awesome fighting and landscapes are suddenly and rather unfortunately interrupted with the lives of our two schoolgirl heroes. It was almost as if a switch was being switched on and off at random: "macabre" - "school girls" - "macabre" - "school girls" - so on and so forth.

Although both halves are nicely done, there are two overarching issues I had with BRS:

1. It's not slice of life, it's not action. If you are a fan of only one of these, then you'll find yourself bored for one half and mildly entertained for the other.

2. The animation, while exceedingly eyepopping at times, is faultily done in general. Whenever there is a fight scene, the movements are fluid and well drawn. Whenever there is not a fight scene, the animation becomes drastically worse. Half drawn characters, awkwardly drawn lines, and overly jumpy movements are noticeable for a good 3/4 of the film.

Despite these criticisms, I found myself enjoying both parts of Black Rock Shooter. The main character was easy to relate to, and even the somewhat distant best friend was quite nicely done. The voice acting and music were most likely the saving grace for BRS. Both main characters were noticeably well voiced, one energetic and boyish and the other slightly quieter and introspective. The BGM for the scenes in the "alternate world" fit in nicely along with the choreography, ultimately crafting pleasing aesthetics for the film.

Ultimately, I must recommend Black Rock Shooter despite its shortcomings and issues.

(first review, please be gentle!)