Black Rock Shooter TV

Black Rock Shooter (BRS) began as a Vocaloid song, where Miku’s uniform was inspired by some illustrations made by a guy named Huke. An OVA was created in 2010 based on that song/illustration combo, which received a ridiculously huge hype by all the Vocaloid fans. Not a surprise since it was after all a fan catering title. Two years later (2012) NoitanimA decided to take this title in its timeslot and to expand it further, thus creating the current version, which lasts 8 episodes. Weird number I must say since all its shows last 11 to 22 episodes. On the other hand it’s not like it deserved 11 or more; the theme is pretty simple in terms of plot and the pacing is deliberately slow just to manage filling it with something.

Both animation and directing are done by newcomers in the field. This is Studio Ordet’s first main animation project and if the girl designs remind you of K-On, this is not a surprise if you know the staff is actually ex Kyoto Animation employees.

The story of BRS is nothing much; it is just about a bunch of schoolgirls going through an emotional maelstrom, caused by jealousy. The heroine Mato is looking for friends in her new school (yeah, we can’t have schools without transfer students) and manages to befriend another girl named Yomi. This causes the other girls who were friends with to feel betrayed for loosing the full attention. It sounds silly but it makes sense if you think they are spoiled teenagers who have no control over their hormones and where the slightest event can make them angry or sad.

The above is what we see half the time, as the other half is something completely different in presentation altogether. While we watch the simple everyday lives of some normal girls, the plot will be going back and forth to an alternative reality, where we see them dressed in weird gothic clothes and fighting each other with very fantasy-themed ways. This alternative world is a hellish place which is supposed to symbolize their mentality. Chaotic, dark, depressing, violent, dangerous. And them fighting is supposed to symbolize their emotions and their friendship being challenged because of jealousy. These parts are practically non-stop action with all sorts of over-the-top weapons and it looks like a fantasy videogame. It is very eye-catchy thanks to its weird imagery and fast paced action, and makes a complete contrast to the rest of the normal scenes.

And that is basically the main attraction and lure of this show. Watching some girls having an everyday emotional conflict, made to look in their minds like it’s an all-out war in that other world. I must say this symbolic conflict is quite interesting in terms of character immersion and it hasn’t been used much in anime as of yet. There is for example Real Drive doing something similar but it was very unimpressive in terms of excitement. There are also many fantasy anime where demons turn people to monsters that represent their negative feelings; with the most famous examples being the witches’ mazes in Madoka Magica and the tv shows in the Persona 4 game/anime. So in terms of allegory it is quite fascinating to have an entire world being the projection of one’s mentality. Sorta like those weird Picasso/Van Gogh paintings that are supposed to be symbolizing something.

Despite all this artistic value though, have no illusions of what the core purpose of the franchise is all about. It is still nothing more than a fan catering work that promotes the song/illustrations and intends to sell a lot to the Vocaloid fans, or anyone else who is into fighting lolis.
"Oh my God! She has a flat chest, a big gun and blue flame comes out of her eye; this is SO COOL; I must buy everything with her face on!"

Of course I could say the same about any other anime or movie ever made (Gundam plamos anyone?) but in this case it is done in a too obvious way and aside from the fighting and the visual flavouring there is absolutely nothing complicating about it. It is just a simplistic concept presented in an extravagant way. Yes, it is art, but it caters too much on a specific type of audience instead of being the pure thoughts of its makers; thus turns sour from a point on. I really don’t care much about girls getting all emo and insane just because some other students don’t want to be friends with them. As cool as it sounds on paper, the show overdoes the whole insanity thing to crazy high levels and you are just not that attached to it after awhile.

Other than that, I was actually pleased they remade the whole thing; since the OVA hardly explained anything that is going on, such as why Yomi disappeared or how did Mato find her later on. When the explanations came though, it all felt like random nonsense and I guess it was silly for me to expect some good reasoning from a fan catering loli show.
So these alternative girls are some sort of magical mental defence. They fight the cause of their grief (usually another girl) and the one who loses makes the problem to disappear. That is, people simply forget it like it never existed. Contrived and messy but that is what they came up with. It kinda reminded me of that Fade to Black Bleach movie, which was equally stupid. The ending is also quite a cop-out, with the girls all naked and crying and saying “We must embrace the pain and keep going.” Yeah, ok, did we really need 8 episodes of this mess just for that obvious line? When did we even see the girls trying to run away from the pain and thus excusing all this mess? It was nicely presented in Neon Genesis but here it just came out of nowhere and was resolved in a dull way.

So once again it is proven how NoitanimA sucks hard in sci-fi shows (Fractale, C, No.6, Guilty Crown) and does wonders with slice-of-life or light fantasy (Tatami Galaxy, Kuuchu Buranko, Usagi Drop) so they better learn from their mistakes and just give up on trying to make supernatural, action, or science fiction anime. They just can’t do it right.

And now a warning for all those of you who have watched the older OVA. Be aware that the production values in the series are worse. The girls in the normal world are drawn in a more simplistic way, while the girls in the fantasy world are now made with computers and have a hell of a lot more armour and fancy accessories on them. Makes you wonder how the hell they even move in those things. The battle scenes also lack the cool fluent fighting choreographies of the OVA and now just seem like a loose line of random special attacks using familiar monsters and trashing the sceneries. It feels far more artificial and distant. And I guess not explaining anything was better than giving this ridiculous reasoning; thus the OVA was better.

So in all it is a somewhat different watch but definitely eons away from being great. Not recommended for any other reason that watching lolis fighting in an extravagant pretentious fantasy way.

5.5/10 overall

Ah, Black Rock Shooter...what a controversial anime, so filled with mixed reviews. First things first though, lemme just say that I actually really enjoyed this particular anime, despite it's short run. Secondly, bear in mind that I actually have low standards for a show, and I don't look too deeply into them for flaws.

Anyways, that all being said, I'll start with the animation and graphics: I thought they were pretty good, the Otherworld and Otherselves especially! It's truly a bright and colourful anime (as it should be, like, the whole thing kinda revolves around colours) with a great music score, and those 2 elements, the graphics and music, combined really made for some truly deep and emotional scenes that were spectacular (the ending is a prime example of this. Wow, I almost cried. Almost.)

The plot though, it was fairly simple. It's not as complicated as one might initially think when first viewing this anime, and it was sort of drawn out a little longer than it should have been. But if they had a set goal of only 8 episodes, well, they drew it out the right amount then. Still though, annoying in a sense, and if you actually enjoyed the anime, you'll want more stories, but alas....

Overall: good characters, exceptional music, great graphics, but a fairly simple plot with few twists and turns. Still, it's a pretty good psychological type anime.

7.5/10 sound
6.5/10 characters

Spoilers ahead. Jus' sayin'.

Story: Story-wise, the anime follows two seperate worlds that each have an emotional tether to each other. The main world is about a middle schooler named Mato who is trying to be a good basketball player in her school's sports club and make new friends, especially with a girl named Yomi. Middle school drama ensues -- Yomi's other jealous friend tries to get in between Yomi and Mato, and it spirals from there. It's typical young person drama -- people want certain friends all to themselves or want attention from a friend that seems to be constantly busy.

And there is a guidance counselor that always seems to know exactly what to say...

Mato has dreams about the other world and it turns out that the tether to the other world is the person in the other world feels physically what their corresponding person feels emotionally... or rather, feels the physical pain instead of the other feeling their emotional pain.

Animation: FREAKING GORGEOUS noseriouslyit'sprobablyoneoftheprettiestanimeever.The action scenes are fantastic, and the character design itself is really awesome, especially for the other world.

Characters: The characters are pretty well-detailed and have great, realistically done emotions. It might be a bit frustrating for people who haven't been around middle-schoolers to understand the psyche of each character and why they're being "whiny" (I may have watched this with my boyfriend), but in my opinion, their emotions and relationships are pretty realistic.

Overall: It's slow moving and kind of depressing, but the action scenes are amazing, and so are the relationships between characters. I've been looking forward to this anime since the OVA, and I'm glad I finally watched it.

this is from way back from when it came out so yeah

(Put Your Lesbians Jokes Here) i start off with because well the main focus is on 6 girl, well one does like a boy, so you can cut one off, anyway Animation - my god is the animation beautiful, in the real world (in the show) well it feels like they just copyed and pasted the background from the original on to this and just added a bit HD to it, now in the other world (in the show) everything is beautiful as well no copyed and pasted here, now another part of the animation is the character, now you guy know how much i hate CG in my anime, just go look at my King Of Thorns review (BTW a pretty good anime, but the manga is better), but here CG works in a real good way, now i'm quoting Remy again "CG is more cheaper, plus it's faster to do", witch i do agree with that, Character - Black Rock Shooter, Dead Master, Strength, Black Gold Saw and Charlot, thrust me there all fantastic, i like the fights they have, the relationship they have, i fucking love these characters, Voice Acting - OMG here the best part the Voice Acting, now we all know the the cast from the original is in this, but we also we have some other people (i'm to lazy to look up who was in this), but damn the Voice Acting is so amazing, the confederation they have feel almost real, Bottomline - this anime has to hit the USA soon because i want to hear it Dudded, this anime already has anime of the year wrote all over it (to me any way)

I heard about this anime from an AMV I watched, and the first two episodes were really cute. Then the third episode got a little strange, but I continued watching anyway. It was worth it. I'm in tears, as I just finished the last episode. If you like deep psycgologal stories, this is for you. It has deep meaning, and it's beautiful.