Black Blood Brothers

on

Ah...  vampires...  I despise vampires.  I hate them with a burning passion due to the cliché way they are depicted in pop-culture.  Ever since Twilight was released and for some reason people enjoyed it (I did not!), paranormal romance has been in.  Hell, even when I go to the book store to buy some new books and mangas there's an entire section labeled Teen Paranormal Romance.  The concept is overrated and overdone.  I've only ever read one book series I remotely liked involving it, and it's not about vampires.  Considering this anime came out the year after the original Twilight book made its first appearance, I was nervous that it would be riding the same path as it: cheesy, poorly written, and all together disappointing and boring.   As you can imagine, even when my close friend CrazyBeverly96 recommended it to me, I was wary to watch it.  After all, I have my reasons to avoid ANYTHING involving vampires.  Wow, was I wrong.

Story (8/10):

This is one of the parts I worried about the most.  I was praying it wouldn't be cliche, and I was right, it wasn't.  The complicated set up with red-bloods (humans) and black-bloods(vampires), and the various clans of vampires makes the show interesting.  It also added an aspect similar to in Wolf's Rain where the characters try to 'find paradise', which in this case, turns out to be a city where humans and vampires coexist peacefully.

The story chronicles the lives of two brothers, Jirou and Kotaru, who are traveling together.  The two don't share much resemblance (actually, none at all...), but hey, neither do Ed and Alphonse in most of Full Metal Alchemist.  Speaking of which, the anime follows a well-used trope in anime of having two brothers (or at least brotherly figures), one older and one younger, who go on their adventures together.  So that's a bit of a downside.

While obviously predictable in certain sections, and with a few measly plot holes, the story still flows nicely.  There's enough unique content to make it very interesting, and the character backstories are deep enough to keep someone watching interested.

Animation (7/10):

There's not too much to complain about in this department.  Character designs are fitting and unique, like Jirou's outfit and both brothers' googles.  Action sequences are pretty good, there aren't a lot of moments where someone could look at the show and get lost on who's hitting who.  The backgrounds, while detailed and somewhat varied, have a tendency to be too dark in most of the city sequences and too bright in others, like in the wintery forest with the Dark Princess of the North.  Overall, pretty good.  Once again, it's not the best I've ever seen, but it's still definitely above average.

I was surprised by the lack of gore and bloodshed(Being that this is a show about vampires), but in some places it seems to follow along what some anime made for younger teenagers or kids do with: ‘That guy just had his arm ripped off!  Wow, there’s not a lot of blood.”  I’ve heard people say there’s quite a bit of blood and gore, but really, it’s not that bad.  If you’re looking for loads of gore, find a horror anime like Corpse Party: Tortured Souls that doesn’t censor blood at all.

Sound (9/10):

It's always fun to write the part of the review about the section you enjoyed the most in the show.  For me, it was definitely the sound.  Both the opening and the outro music were great, but the opening is definitely what I liked the most about the show.  It was fitting to the series’ action.  The voice actors were great, very fitting for the characters they were portraying.

Characters (7/10):

I'll just focus on the three main ones here, as the others are all fine in my opinion.  My only issue would be that one would almost wish the show was a bit longer so that the more minor characters got more time in the spotlight... or in some cases more depth in general.

Jirou: Dark, handsome, complicated, and with an interesting past, he's just the kind of character I love.  His design is unique and obviously fitting.  It's tiring when watching animes to always see the same kind of lighthearted heros all the time.  Characters like Jirou are a nice twist that helps break from the usual heroes/heroines.  His weaknesses are in touch with those of traditional vampires, ie. sunlight, water, etc...  And NO he does not sparkle...

Kotarou: The younger brother of the two vampires.  He's so adorable it burns.  He's innocent, a bit on the naive side, and all together the antithesis of his older brother Jirou.  He's a great foil character for Jirou, and lightens up the show in it's darkest moments...  I can't reveal too much more about him, because... well, SPOILERS!

Mimiko - the reigning heroine of the little band of heroes in their not-so-merry adventures is mature and relatively calm.  She is once again, an interesting alternative, and prefers to compromise instead of fighting if possible(duh...)  She's strong enough to deal with vampires and other things that would otherwise cause a weaker character to fall apart.

Overall (7.5/10):

It exceeded all of my expectations.

I would recomend it.

on

OMGOSH I hoesnrly watched this late. But whatever, Blaxk Blood Bros had lots of things other animes don't, which is vampires. This is my first anime experiencing vampires in action and wow, was their so most history behind it. But first, I should rate all the things Story- 8 The story wasn't so bad, but it should've been longer, or last had a big movie at the end. Because I honestly wished some of the characters had more involvement, but that might never happen, as the anime is exactly 10 years of age. But overall, the story was better than others Animation- 9 At this time it was probably better than a lot of other animation they had. But I honestly just also liked how there was moment where I got frightened and than bam. But I mean to crying out loud, animators and computer animators work like hell in this stuff, at least give them credit. I mean, they didn't have the best computer in 2006. Sound- 8 Am I the only person who checks out Openings and Endings for animes before I watch it? Most likely. The Opening was one of the main reasons this anime is faaaabbbb. I always skip endings at the end unless I'm not very busy, which is unlikely. But, that's just me. Characters- 7 The main reason why it is because of Jirou's hat. It makes him stick out so much, why is it on his head?! I seriously hate that hat. He needed a different costume to be honest. Other than that some characters really needed more spotlights. I mean, some of the characters looks more fab than the main main main character: Silver Blade. I'm sorry >.

on

I avoided this series for a long time because I found the character design of the older brother on the box art to be patently ridiculous.  I similiarly avoided Desert Punk longer than I should have for similar reasons.  Proud to say I was wrong on both accounts.  This is a really good, short, action-filled series featuring vampires.  I was genuinely surprised by how much I liked this show, once I got past my issues with character design.  If you like Hellsing or Trinity Blood, give this one a shot.

8.5/10 animation
8.8/10 overall
on

Black Blood Brothers is a very good anime. It’s just a 12-episode action series that honestly does not take very long to finish. There is so much excitement and thrills packed into it that I think any action fan will want to watch this.

Story: 9/10

The story follows two vampire brothers moving to an area called the “Special Zone” where they will be able to exist peacefully with humans and other vampires. The older brother, Jirou, bravely prevented a disaster at the hands of a vicious group of vampires known as The Kowloon Children in a war 10 years prior. However, certain survivors among The Kowloon Children are still out to get him.

Animation: 9/10

That animation is great. It skillfully uses darkness to emphasize the fears of the characters during dangerous moments and moments of uncertainty. They also use the light well to symbolize hopefulness and the care that the characters have for one another. All action sequences flowed well and grabbed you in every second. Some of The Kowloon Children were very scary as monsters should be and brought a good sense of horror to the show. However, possibly the most chilling thing would be the transformation that occurs when others are turned into Kowloon Children.

Sound: 8.5/10

I loved the music in this anime it fit so well for what this anime was trying to be, a dark action show with some fun, yet deep characters. The voice acting in the Japanese version and surprisingly in the English version is wonderful. The actors all fit their characters perfectly; giving them exactly the voices you would expect them to have.

Characters: 7/10

This is the unfortunate thing about short animes: If there are too many a character in them, then there’s no way that they will all be able to have their fair share of development. This rings just as true in Black Blood Brothers. We hardly learn a thing about the secondary characters, which is a shame as some of them are pretty interesting; we never even get to learn what the main antagonist’s motivations are for constantly plaguing Jirou’s life. The main characters do get some development, but it’s really just learning to open up to each other; that’s it. I still think that the main characters are unique and very likeable, but I am not attached to them the way I am with characters from longer series who have had time to go through far more development.

Overall: 8/10

If you like following the misadventures of some very fun and enjoyable characters, topped with a good amount of action and drama, I think you will like this one. The comedy scenes will put you at ease and the violent scenes will make you anxious to see how the main characters will get through the trouble. The big reveal at the end may make you glad that the anime ended where it did, but even so I will certainly remember this anime for how much fun it is.

8.5/10 sound
on

I don’t know if you notice lately or before but there was been a numerous amount of anime with vampires in the main element. Much like movies in the past, present and the future, the vampire boom has been around anime ever since the ‘80s (as far as I know) and there were many hits such as Hellsing, Blood: The Last Vampire, Karin, Vampire Hunter D and many others to be named. But I wonder what can be different about this series or different from any vampire media……well, let’s hope it won’t be like that other vampire franchise but let’s focus on this now.
During a war called the Hong Kong Crusade, an Old Blood Black Blood Brothers, Jiro Mochizuki, a.k.a. the Silver Blade (Gintō), fought and defeated the Kowloon king and also most of the Kowloon Children. Ten years later, Jiro heads to Hong Kong with his little brother, Kotaro Mochizuki, in hopes of reaching The Special Zone, a thriving secret city where Vampires live. They soon realize that a plan to infiltrate the Special Zone is being hatched by the Kowloon Children survivors. As they travel to The Special Zone, Jiro encounters enemies from the past and new threats that may endanger the safety of the Special Zone. The abduction of Kotaro, by one of the Kowloon Children, thrusts him even further into the battle.
Most of the time in the series, they place the story of Jiro and his late lover in the beginning segments before the main plot surfaces onto the screen. It can be confusing for the first few times if that story doesn’t intersect too much with the original focus but it didn’t seem to bother me in the that track time. The pace for the show wasn’t really quick but for an 12-episode series, it didn’t drag out too long and it got to where it needed to be at that time but at the series’ end, it should added at least one more episode to explain some further details but then again it was one of those “you have to read the manga to find out more” type of show but it’s mostly saying, “Read for once in your life, you lazy fuck!!”.
The characters in this series are not as flattering or even noteworthy of being memorable. Jiro plays the archetype of the vampire who still mourns for his lost love and somewhat an unstoppable force to reckon with……well, not really. Water is his weakness. Yes, we can survive bullets and sometimes the sun since he does be in the daylight but water can really mess him up. Kotaro…….should I feel bad that the first I see him in the show and he was banging on the coffin and Jiro beat him around, I laughed at that? But, yeah, Kotaro is basically the cheery comic relief of the show and he’s not really helpful in this and the fact he does get kidnapped and put in danger a lot. He just seems more to get in the way of things then actually helping out. Mimiko wasn’t too bad of a character to deal with, although she does chastise Jiro many times in the story. The only other character that actually does contribute to the story is Cassa, once friends with Jiro and his lover, Alice Eve (not the actress) but betrayed him by killing her. Every other character (like Kelly Wong) gets tossed aside from show altogether, practically not caring whether their story matters at all.

The animation is rather bland and uninteresting. It looks well done with 50% of the fight scenes but there’s nothing more to that. Group TAC & Studio Live, the companies that provided the animation, really don’t have anything else noticeable in their resume, aside assisting other animation studios on their projects but I don’t know if they’re going to have any future projects after this. The music is also surprisingly dull, albeit has a switch of melodic tone from the OP song to the ED song. The BG music was nothing to expect anything new but average at best.
FINAL VERDICT: It would be cliché to say Black Blood Brothers brought nothing interesting or exciting to the table but it holds up to be pretty average in my book. Some parts you’ll find to be remotely watchable and consistent but aside from that, it can be a mess to go through with. I would say BBB is only good for a one-time watch and that’s it.

So, Black Blood Brothers gets the final grade of 6/10 PLANET TYRO RATING: VANILLA