Black Blood Brothers

pikachu203's avatar By on Aug 23, 2013

Ah...  vampires...  I despise vampires.  I hate them with a burning passion due to the cliché way they are depicted in pop-culture.  Ever since Twilight was released and for some reason people enjoyed it (I did not!), paranormal romance has been in.  Hell, even when I go to the book store to buy some new books and mangas there's an entire section labeled Teen Paranormal Romance.  The concept is overrated and overdone.  I've only ever read one book series I remotely liked involving it, and it's not about vampires.  Considering this anime came out the year after the original Twilight book made its first appearance, I was nervous that it would be riding the same path as it: cheesy, poorly written, and all together disappointing and boring.   As you can imagine, even when my close friend CrazyBeverly96 recommended it to me, I was wary to watch it.  After all, I have my reasons to avoid ANYTHING involving vampires.  Wow, was I wrong.

Story (8/10):

This is one of the parts I worried about the most.  I was praying it wouldn't be cliche, and I was right, it wasn't.  The complicated set up with red-bloods (humans) and black-bloods(vampires), and the various clans of vampires makes the show interesting.  It also added an aspect similar to in Wolf's Rain where the characters try to 'find paradise', which in this case, turns out to be a city where humans and vampires coexist peacefully.

The story chronicles the lives of two brothers, Jirou and Kotaru, who are traveling together.  The two don't share much resemblance (actually, none at all...), but hey, neither do Ed and Alphonse in most of Full Metal Alchemist.  Speaking of which, the anime follows a well-used trope in anime of having two brothers (or at least brotherly figures), one older and one younger, who go on their adventures together.  So that's a bit of a downside.

While obviously predictable in certain sections, and with a few measly plot holes, the story still flows nicely.  There's enough unique content to make it very interesting, and the character backstories are deep enough to keep someone watching interested.

Animation (7/10):

There's not too much to complain about in this department.  Character designs are fitting and unique, like Jirou's outfit and both brothers' googles.  Action sequences are pretty good, there aren't a lot of moments where someone could look at the show and get lost on who's hitting who.  The backgrounds, while detailed and somewhat varied, have a tendency to be too dark in most of the city sequences and too bright in others, like in the wintery forest with the Dark Princess of the North.  Overall, pretty good.  Once again, it's not the best I've ever seen, but it's still definitely above average.

I was surprised by the lack of gore and bloodshed(Being that this is a show about vampires), but in some places it seems to follow along what some anime made for younger teenagers or kids do with: ‘That guy just had his arm ripped off!  Wow, there’s not a lot of blood.”  I’ve heard people say there’s quite a bit of blood and gore, but really, it’s not that bad.  If you’re looking for loads of gore, find a horror anime like Corpse Party: Tortured Souls that doesn’t censor blood at all.

Sound (9/10):

It's always fun to write the part of the review about the section you enjoyed the most in the show.  For me, it was definitely the sound.  Both the opening and the outro music were great, but the opening is definitely what I liked the most about the show.  It was fitting to the series’ action.  The voice actors were great, very fitting for the characters they were portraying.

Characters (7/10):

I'll just focus on the three main ones here, as the others are all fine in my opinion.  My only issue would be that one would almost wish the show was a bit longer so that the more minor characters got more time in the spotlight... or in some cases more depth in general.

Jirou: Dark, handsome, complicated, and with an interesting past, he's just the kind of character I love.  His design is unique and obviously fitting.  It's tiring when watching animes to always see the same kind of lighthearted heros all the time.  Characters like Jirou are a nice twist that helps break from the usual heroes/heroines.  His weaknesses are in touch with those of traditional vampires, ie. sunlight, water, etc...  And NO he does not sparkle...

Kotarou: The younger brother of the two vampires.  He's so adorable it burns.  He's innocent, a bit on the naive side, and all together the antithesis of his older brother Jirou.  He's a great foil character for Jirou, and lightens up the show in it's darkest moments...  I can't reveal too much more about him, because... well, SPOILERS!

Mimiko - the reigning heroine of the little band of heroes in their not-so-merry adventures is mature and relatively calm.  She is once again, an interesting alternative, and prefers to compromise instead of fighting if possible(duh...)  She's strong enough to deal with vampires and other things that would otherwise cause a weaker character to fall apart.

Overall (7.5/10):

It exceeded all of my expectations.

I would recomend it.

angelsreviews's avatar By on Jul 15, 2013

I really did like the show, though I found it a bit hard to pick out what was happening now and happening back during the attack on Hong Kong because of some of the flash backs. Kotaro is a really cute and funny character, always getting into trouble and is a good contrast to his very old sounding brother, Jiro. It’s nice that they had kept a version of the real vampire myths. They kept the *cough* feelings that happen when a vampire bites another, and some of the stuff about their weaknesses and such. The play between a couple of people is rather fun including the strange Rinsuke Akai who seems to be rather flamboyant. He had no reason being there except for to be a yaoi fan girls dream.

The animation is rather nice and fluid though we have one of the same problems as other shoes where we get the stupid motion lines. It’s supposed to make it seem rather fast but it just feels cheesy most of the time. There are a lot of times that it does look cheaply made and characters look out of proportion, but I still like the show when it doesn’t. I like how they change to a sort of grayer tone for when they show a flashback though I don’t understand why they don’t do it to the flashbacks of the Kowloon War.

The voices in the English dub are actually pretty fitting to the characters and not to off-putting. One of the problems I had was when some of the other characters were brought in. Their voices would ether be to low for me to hear and when I turned it up, the loud voices and music hurt my ears. The music has a pretty nice pop art sound to it and then it was balanced with a little bit of the piano music, and I never had trouble with it overpowering the scenes. Most fit pretty well though they did have some of side-walk walking music that made some characters fun.

CrazyBeverly96's avatar By on May 8, 2015

Black Blood Brothers is a very good anime. It’s just a 12-episode action series that honestly does not take very long to finish. There is so much excitement and thrills packed into it that I think any action fan will want to watch this.

Story: 9/10

The story follows two vampire brothers moving to an area called the “Special Zone” where they will be able to exist peacefully with humans and other vampires. The older brother, Jirou, bravely prevented a disaster at the hands of a vicious group of vampires known as The Kowloon Children in a war 10 years prior. However, certain survivors among The Kowloon Children are still out to get him.

Animation: 9/10

That animation is great. It skillfully uses darkness to emphasize the fears of the characters during dangerous moments and moments of uncertainty. They also use the light well to symbolize hopefulness and the care that the characters have for one another. All action sequences flowed well and grabbed you in every second. Some of The Kowloon Children were very scary as monsters should be and brought a good sense of horror to the show. However, possibly the most chilling thing would be the transformation that occurs when others are turned into Kowloon Children.

Sound: 8.5/10

I loved the music in this anime it fit so well for what this anime was trying to be, a dark action show with some fun, yet deep characters. The voice acting in the Japanese version and surprisingly in the English version is wonderful. The actors all fit their characters perfectly; giving them exactly the voices you would expect them to have.

Characters: 7/10

This is the unfortunate thing about short animes: If there are too many a character in them, then there’s no way that they will all be able to have their fair share of development. This rings just as true in Black Blood Brothers. We hardly learn a thing about the secondary characters, which is a shame as some of them are pretty interesting; we never even get to learn what the main antagonist’s motivations are for constantly plaguing Jirou’s life. The main characters do get some development, but it’s really just learning to open up to each other; that’s it. I still think that the main characters are unique and very likeable, but I am not attached to them the way I am with characters from longer series who have had time to go through far more development.

Overall: 8/10

If you like following the misadventures of some very fun and enjoyable characters, topped with a good amount of action and drama, I think you will like this one. The comedy scenes will put you at ease and the violent scenes will make you anxious to see how the main characters will get through the trouble. The big reveal at the end may make you glad that the anime ended where it did, but even so I will certainly remember this anime for how much fun it is.

8.5/10 sound
LovelyWickedDescet's avatar By on Sep 17, 2010

Considering that I only watched four episodes I don't expect this review to be any good. But this mostly concerns the dub so don't be surprised.

Now I wasn't planning to really watch it after that vampire piece of trash Twilight had started ruining the vampire legacy right down to its core. But after seeing a Within Temptation amv for this particular anime I decided to put it as a plan to watch.

The plot was descent, the reason why I rated it a four. It had no really interest to me at the start when I read over the syno. for it, that and it sort of reminded me of the show Saiyuki, which is weird. Two brothers trying to find a more perminate home in secture 11. You'd think they would develop it more further but they decided not to and by the time the first dvd was over they had already finished their journey. Quite quick to be honest. I guess the next half goes into the awakening of Kontarou. Not sure but I am not really all that impressed by it.

The prologue at the beginning was a little unnecessary but provided action fans with a nice taste of battle. So yes, it in my opinion deserved a four.

The animation of it.. I swear that Kontarou looks a bit more plump than he actually is, faces were thinner and longer, and I also swear that Jiro looked a bit like a stick in some places. So the animation I would rate a nice 6. It may have had many faults but I count for effort as well. Also the background was pretty good as well, not to dark nor to bright. Just a perfect plain background.

The sound now.. here is where I developed trouble with watching this and what helped lower my opinion on the plot.

I decided to watch the dub, and I regretted it the moment I hit play. I was right in knowing that FUNimation had yet again screwed up another voice casting. Ouch. If anything I had to stop the dvd within five minutes of watching it to gain my nerve to finish. Tantum J. Michael as Jiro was not a perfect match, he was.. as always.. DULL and slightly gruff in voice. I swear they only cast him because of sex appeal in tone. I continued to twitch everytime he talked threw Jiro. It was not a perfect combination and if you seen into the past with his acting you can tell it is him because he has that dull tone of voice. I will compliment him for being able to capture and authority tone but not by much. Even when Jiro paniced in water you can still hear that dull edge to it. Ouch.. just ouch. It was also not a pretty flashback that this guy was to play Sebastian. All I can say is that Sebastian is doomed.

Kontarou... That voice was the reason I stopped the show to gain my nerve. His voice was wincy, scratchy and just down right annoying. It was like a more obnoix sounding Goku (Saiyuki). I just had to tune him out.

Mimiko's voice actor wasn't too bad.. the voice could have been better but she seemed to slip into the role alright. But the english dub is something I do not recommend watching this show in. It greatly distracted me from the plot quite a few times, and the characters I could barely pay any mind to. 'sighs' Really I wish Funimation would stop making bad dubs. I feel so sorry for my Kuroshitsuji 'sniffles'.

Now the characters.. I don't have a good opinion on. You can thank the dub for distracting me on that. But I do rate them a five for mediocre. Though Jiro's actor had basically hurt my chances of paying attention to him, I could tell by how he acted that he had a no tolerance polocy, he was also kind and very noble, plus he was had quite a seductive side (well if you get down to the last episode you can see it). But his reasons for protecting Kontarou are quite see threw, even in the first episode I could tell why he wanted to protect Kontarou so much.

To get a better opinion on him I had to look up his character profile (which I ignored spoilers if any of you are concerned). I would say he is not to bad and defiantly those of a younger age girl's fantasy.

Now Kontarou.. I really don't want to bother with. I had a terrible time trying to pay any attention to him, which was because of the horrid voice. I did catch that he was a hyper child that can be easily side tracked by simple things like food or toys.

Mimiko.. I would say is a bit on the sueish side. For two episodes it had more concentrated on her, and her innoscent nature wasn't too likable with me. She also had a short temper and I would say that was the only funny thing about her.

Most of the other characters I have forgotten do to my lack of interest in them or bad voices. But I can say they were good supporting characters. So yes I would say a five is good enough for them, not to bad to be descent and yet not to good to be fair.

Overall... I rate this serious a 5.3. Five for it capturing at least my interests, and not letting me fall completely into my own imagination. Another for some descent actions scenes, and some good animation. But the three for poor sound. Seriously.. I hated the english dub, I advice any newbies to the serious do not let your curiousity get the better of you.. the sub is a better choice.

5.3/10 overall
Teadum's avatar By on Nov 10, 2010

Time to kick it old school with some REAL vampires! Black Blood Brothers is one of a few vampire animes that's good for us middle-men(that is to say, there's not a whole lot of romance, but not a whole lot of gore either). It's not full of blood squirts and head ripping, but it's by no means pansy core. With funny characters, good fight scenes, and a little bit of drama to top it all off, BBB is a great anime to look into. Go check it out for yourself! ~Tea