Binbougami ga!

Alt title: Good Luck Girl!

Niko's avatar By on Jan 1, 2016

(Note: This is a late entry in the holiday "Secret Santa" rec exchange.  I'm sticking with my usual "pros & cons" style of reviewing, but wanted to say that overall, I enjoyed this series a lot.  Thanks for the recommendation!)

This series is worth watching because... it's a self-described "gag" comedy that delivers on that promise with lots of laughs, but also mixes in a nice dollop of heartfelt "feels" to balance out the wackiness.

The hallmark of a good "gag" comedy in anime tends to be a frenetic, over-the-top, laugh-a-minute sort of pacing, and once the setup gets rolling, Binbougami ga! definitely delivers on that score.  The comedy here has a little something for everyone:  the basic premise of over-the-top personalities clashing in a perpetual stalemate - Momiji can never quite defeat Ichiko's luck to complete her task, but Ichiko also can't get Momiji out of her life - provides a setup for plenty of general laughs,  and then they add in plenty of other comedy favorites -   pratfalls and other physical comedy, quickie sight gags (often including some REALLY clever references to other anime series), and plenty of fourth-wall-breaking.  There's a little something here for everyone, here, so even if one style of humor doesn't work for you, there's always some clever sight gag or over-the-top reaction shot around the next corner to keep you laughing.

But beyond the comedy, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the series has a nice amount of heart to it, as well.  In the first few episodes, my one gripe with the series was how unlikeable Ichiko was - her selfishness and over-the-top lack of compassion for people around her skewed the balance so that I was 100% rooting for Momiji and not really enjoying the clash of wills between them as much as I might have... but as the series continued and they made an effort to introduce a character-growth arc for Ichiko - learning that friendship and having people around her is more important than the things that she gets from her "Luck" - the show won me over to caring about both characters equally, and that only enhanced the comedy, since it's a constant see-saw with no perfect "winner" in their conflict.  The several moments where Ichiko's forced to realize that she's come to care about other people are nicely handled (for the most part) and give a show more substance than "just another gag comedy".

This series is prevented from being truly "great" or "classic" by... the fact that it lacks some polish in a few areas.  One is the production values.  The character designs and animation are serviceable, but not particularly striking.  (I spent the first few episodes feeling like Ichiko's character model, in particular, was just really bland.)   And although I really did GREATLY enjoy both the comedy and "feels" elements of the show, as summarized above, there are also some missteps.  In the "feels" area, the final few episodes of the series actually overplay that hand a bit, letting the "heart" elements get rather maudlin in that final story arc.  It's nice that they took the time to give the show a bit of closure, but it devolves a bit into sad-sack melodrama and loses some of the "bite" that the comedy gave it.

As an adult female viewer, I also was rolling my eyes quite a bit at how heavily the show relied on 'boobie' jokes and general "pervert" humor.  I've been around anime long enough to know that "Ha Ha! Ichiko has Big Tits!" and "Ha Ha! Groping girls is funny!" and other "hilarious" pervert gags like this are part of the nature of the beast in anime, and the show isn't as tasteless or prurient about it as others in the genre, but the sophomoricness of that particular brand of humor WOULD cause me to think twice about recommending this to some other adult anime fans that I discuss anime with, so I felt it was worth noting as a possible downside.

The Bottom Line:  A tremendously funny and enjoyable series with a nice thread of emotional character growth, as long as you're not too bothered by frequent "boobie" and "pervert" gags.

ak72's avatar By on Sep 4, 2015

this is a very funny anime due to the parody it has and extreme scenes and over the top characters, this anime parodys dragon ball z the most, however they also paried one piece which killed me with laughter.

binbougami ga revolves around Ichikio, a really popular high school student due to her apperance and intellagnce, this is because she was born with alot of good fortune, this affected the balance of the fortune in the world so moji, the good of bad fortune attempts to inject all her good fortune out of her.

the only down side to this anime is the ending, there were so much unanswered questions.

hellhammer6789's avatar By on May 4, 2015

Welcome to another review! This will be my sixth.

This time, I’m going to be talking about a show that can make you laugh your ass off. The show is called «Good luck girl!», or «Binbougami ga!» in Japanese.

STORY: The story centers around Ichiko Sakura, a girl with the perfect life, and Momiji, a god of poverty. Ichiko has everything, good grades, money, a hoard of boys that could die for her and a bunch of luck to top it off. She has a lot of what the show calls «happiness» or «fortune» energy. She has so much that she ends up draining everyone else’ happiness energy like a magnet. This is where Momiji comes inn, she is a god of poverty, also referred to as a god of «misfortune». Her job is to steal happiness energy from Ichiko to balance her energy with the rest of the community. Spoiled as she is, Ichiko won’t give it away without a fight. It’s not all positives though. The land of the poverty gods is not explored at all. We do get to see a few other characters from there, but we never actually get to know much about the place. It just feels like wasted potential.

CHARACTERS: The characters in Good luck girl are all likable and often hilarious. Momiji is very much a troll and loves to tease Ichiko. Ichiko gets mad very easily and throws back just as many jabs as she receives. They have this great relationship of making each other mad. Ichiko is actually a well fleshed out character. The show creates a lot of scenarios where they show her stepping out of her spoiled brat behavior. Throughout the show I often found myself sympathising with her. It’s truly wonderful seeing her do whatever she can to help someone. We also get to know why she is acting so spoiled. I won’t spoil what happened, but it’s both sad and aggravating.

Momiji is often very blunt and stiff when it comes to serious situations. At several occasions she uses fortune/happiness energy she stole from Ichiko to save people in dire need. While Momiji acts like a child a lot, she is the more mature of the two, seeing as she handles serious situations with more calmness. They are both strong and lovely characters. Other characters include: Momou, Keita, Bobby and Ranmaru. They are all lovely and have their hilarious moments. Momou is Momiji’ pet dog/human. He transform between the two. Momou loves pain and is a pervert. If you inflict him enough pain (or what he considers pleasure) in dog form, he turns in to a human. Keita is a big brother that works very hard for his family. He has many siblings, but their parents are gone. Keita has to work and go to school. It’s sad seeing him and his family struggling. Still, they love each other and live happily nonetheless. Since this is a comedy show, they do use him for comedy, and when they do it’s often to great effect.

Ranmaru is one of the most likable characters in the show. She dresses like a tomboy and does karate. Most of the time she is very friendly, but she blushes a lot infront of Keita seeing as she is in love with him. Bobby is a hilarious character. He is a monk and a huge perv. Promise him something like breasts and he will do anything for you. He lives in Ichiko’ house, along with Momiji, Momou and of course Ichiko herself.

SOUNDTRACK: The soundtrack of Good luck girl is pretty solid. It has a wide array of tracks, ranging from very lighthearted for the comedy and sad and beautiful for the drama. Tracks of both kind does their job very well, though the only real standout ones are the ending and opening themes. Talking about the opening song, it’s one of the most catchy songs I have heard in forever. It will take me ages to get it out of my head. The ending song is not nearly as catchy, but it does have it’s own charming sound that I rather like. I watched the show dubbed, but I also tried the sub. The dub is brilliant. All the voices fits the characters and the comedy so well. It’s not quite as good for the drama, but it’s still great.

From what I have heard of the sub, I’d say the same as above, but to a sleightly less degree, it does sound really good though. It makes me happy to say that both the dub and the sub are very viable option.

ANIMATION: The animation is mostly plain, though it does look good during the few fight scenes we get. Since the show is mostly a comedy, great animation is not required. The fight scenes looks fluid enough to be pleasing for the eye at least. Characterdesigns are nothing too special. There are a few standouts though, Momiji look like she just threw on the first things she could find and it does suit her (yes, all that is a good thing). Ranmaru’ tomboy clothes also looks really cool, that and her eyelashes (those are beautiful). Now, there is nothing wrong with any of the characters desings, most of them are just simply «Nice» or decent looking. Though, I guess I could add that I really like both Ichiko’ and Momiji’ eyes and Momiji’ hair. The animation in the opening is pretty nice though. Most the animation in the ending is fanservice pictures sliding along the screen.

CONCLUSION: Good luck girl is an Awesome comedy and a decent drama. I strongly recommend the show if you want to laugh, and don’t mind some decent drama along with the laughs. The show was definitely worth my time, and it will probably be worth your time as well, if you do decide to give it a shot.

This has been my sixth review and it has been as fun as ever!

triplestrike's avatar By on Nov 11, 2014

Spoiler Free Inspection
Big Tits, Comedy, Drama, Random References to other anime, and the quiet pain of solitude. The events of the world are linked to the source of fortune each individual has. One individual seems to have far too much and the gods see fit to recalibrate the balance.

Beautiful animation, pumped up jams, and variation make this anime enjoyable visually and musically with what seems like no effort. The story hindges on the characters, which could be more fleshed out, but still develop in their own manner.

Bottom line, this anime is funny. However, it does get touchy feely, although not nearly enough to corrupt the silly anime showcase that is each episode.

8.5/10 characters
8.8/10 overall
RingoStarr1991's avatar By on Aug 21, 2014

***THIS IS A SPOILER FREE REVIEW***

Lately I have found it harder and harder to find anime that I honestly feel makes me really "laugh out loud" or really enjoy warming up to a character I previously hated. The show Binbougami ga! has somehow incorporated both of these aspects into a fun filled thirteen episode running.

Story: 6/10

No sugarcoating this category; being a slice of life and self contained episodic type show means there really isn't a whole lot of ways to have an interesting show especially since it is a parody anime that in my opinion rivals Gintama in how funny it comes off to be. The story follows Ichiko Sakura, the god of misfortune Momiji, and their rag tag friends as they progress through many different situations. The main premise of the show is that Ichiko absorbs all the "fortune" around her and it is making everyone else miserable. To fix this, Momiji is sent in to absorb Ichiko's fortune but she finds out fairly quickly that pretty much all of her efforts are in vain as Ichiko's fortune out powers Momiji's misfortune. Like most other comedy anime though the enjoyment is not in the plot, it is in the character interactions. Also there is fanservice in this anime but please do not let that make you shy away from this show. The absolute gold this show presents is in the character interactions and comedy.

Animation: 8.5/10

While it is not the most eyegasmic anime I have seen, the characters were drawn and animated very, very well. All of the characters literally seem to shine when on screen and all of their motions are captured very well. The background and action shots were particularly done well and yes even the obligatory fanservice episode was totally worth any wait. Speaking of fanservice, there is a lot of it in this show but not in the whole almost naked sense. Like other shows there seems to be characters dedicated for getting any ecchi pun/joke started and in this show it happens to be a black monk (Bobby) and a dog/whatever thing that likes S&M (Momou). I will go out on a limb and state that while some of the fanservice might be a little over the top, I would not turn this away only because of that aspect.

Sound: 7/10

Being a sound guy in my spare time (lots of home recording), I am quite torn on the sound of this show. While the music seemed very fitting and the voice actors did an amazing job, I cannot help but be bothered by some of the audio quality of Ichiko in particular. For some reason some of her lines sounded like they were recorded in a really cheap closet with no sound dampening what so ever. I am not sure if this was just this particular voice actor's performance but regardless it was enough to kind of annoy me.

Characters: 10/10

I'll attempt to relay my thoughts on the characters without going into total fanboyism but the short and sweet version is one of the best casts I have ever seen. The characters alone are not that interesting since they are typical cookie cutter personas but together as a whole they have a lot of chemistry and prove this by making me laugh unbelievable amounts. Being a parody show, you do somewhat have to know of the anime they are portraying but if you have seen the most popular ones you should be able to get most of the jokes. Regardless if you understand them or not, the show is funny enough on its own to keep you around for all thirteen episodes. Another great point about the show was how I eventually warmed up to Ichiko. Initially I really disliked her character as she really came off as a selfish bi#%@ but as the show progressed, you see a noticeable change in her character's values. I eventually really liked her as a person and of course her...assets. Just the way the characters interact with each other was such a joy to encounter. I am glad though that the anime was only thirteen episodes long as I feel if it was any longer, some of the gags would of started to run pretty dry.

Overall: 7.9/10

This show was just what I needed; a fresh and surprise blast. I had seriously been dragging my tail around with anime due to the total un-interest in this season's offerings but I am very glad that I took the time to go through my "want to watch" list to sniff this one out. If you want a carefree and total laugh out loud show to watch then look no further.

Enjoyment: 10/10

Thanks for reading my review! If you liked my writing style, would like to see some other reviews, or just want to talk, please stop by my page!

Sincerely,