Binbougami ga!

Alt title: Good Luck Girl!

on

(Note: This is a late entry in the holiday "Secret Santa" rec exchange.  I'm sticking with my usual "pros & cons" style of reviewing, but wanted to say that overall, I enjoyed this series a lot.  Thanks for the recommendation!)

This series is worth watching because... it's a self-described "gag" comedy that delivers on that promise with lots of laughs, but also mixes in a nice dollop of heartfelt "feels" to balance out the wackiness.

The hallmark of a good "gag" comedy in anime tends to be a frenetic, over-the-top, laugh-a-minute sort of pacing, and once the setup gets rolling, Binbougami ga! definitely delivers on that score.  The comedy here has a little something for everyone:  the basic premise of over-the-top personalities clashing in a perpetual stalemate - Momiji can never quite defeat Ichiko's luck to complete her task, but Ichiko also can't get Momiji out of her life - provides a setup for plenty of general laughs,  and then they add in plenty of other comedy favorites -   pratfalls and other physical comedy, quickie sight gags (often including some REALLY clever references to other anime series), and plenty of fourth-wall-breaking.  There's a little something here for everyone, here, so even if one style of humor doesn't work for you, there's always some clever sight gag or over-the-top reaction shot around the next corner to keep you laughing.

But beyond the comedy, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the series has a nice amount of heart to it, as well.  In the first few episodes, my one gripe with the series was how unlikeable Ichiko was - her selfishness and over-the-top lack of compassion for people around her skewed the balance so that I was 100% rooting for Momiji and not really enjoying the clash of wills between them as much as I might have... but as the series continued and they made an effort to introduce a character-growth arc for Ichiko - learning that friendship and having people around her is more important than the things that she gets from her "Luck" - the show won me over to caring about both characters equally, and that only enhanced the comedy, since it's a constant see-saw with no perfect "winner" in their conflict.  The several moments where Ichiko's forced to realize that she's come to care about other people are nicely handled (for the most part) and give a show more substance than "just another gag comedy".

This series is prevented from being truly "great" or "classic" by... the fact that it lacks some polish in a few areas.  One is the production values.  The character designs and animation are serviceable, but not particularly striking.  (I spent the first few episodes feeling like Ichiko's character model, in particular, was just really bland.)   And although I really did GREATLY enjoy both the comedy and "feels" elements of the show, as summarized above, there are also some missteps.  In the "feels" area, the final few episodes of the series actually overplay that hand a bit, letting the "heart" elements get rather maudlin in that final story arc.  It's nice that they took the time to give the show a bit of closure, but it devolves a bit into sad-sack melodrama and loses some of the "bite" that the comedy gave it.

As an adult female viewer, I also was rolling my eyes quite a bit at how heavily the show relied on 'boobie' jokes and general "pervert" humor.  I've been around anime long enough to know that "Ha Ha! Ichiko has Big Tits!" and "Ha Ha! Groping girls is funny!" and other "hilarious" pervert gags like this are part of the nature of the beast in anime, and the show isn't as tasteless or prurient about it as others in the genre, but the sophomoricness of that particular brand of humor WOULD cause me to think twice about recommending this to some other adult anime fans that I discuss anime with, so I felt it was worth noting as a possible downside.

The Bottom Line:  A tremendously funny and enjoyable series with a nice thread of emotional character growth, as long as you're not too bothered by frequent "boobie" and "pervert" gags.

on

Right, it's confession time for me. If you have been reading my reviews than you may have noticed that I tend to rip the anime a new one. There is a reason for this though and it has to do with the fact that I can't turn my brain off when watching anime. I can't ignore the stupid shown in the anime and this is a problem as most anime are very stupid indeed.

In this case I'm not talking about a 90 pound girl catching a multi-ton cruise missile and throwing it back. Yes, it is stupid but it is a stupid that I'll allow. It's anime. Things like this are normal here and I'm pretty much fine with it. It annoys me to be sure but I will not rant about it.

So, having explained this lets rip into this anime shall we? Just a heads up: There will most probably be spoilers. The more I hate an anime the more spoilers there will be.

ART: Overall very good quality. Characters are easily identifiable and all the action is easy to follow. If CGI was used then I didn't notice it, as it should be. One complaint I could bring up is that visual gags flew by to quick for me to get every joke in there.

SOUND: Decent enough I suppose. I rarely pay attention to the music and when I do it is because it is either horrible or very good. I have really no complaints and I can't imagine the voice actors hating their job with this anime.

CHARACTERS: Main character is Sakura. She is a human who has extremely good luck. So much that she actually sucks it out of the people around her.

Momiji is a Poverty God tasked with fixing the problem that is Sakura. Her job is to suck out the excess happyness out of her and prevent her from sucking out of others.

STORY: Sakura has it all: Money, great body, good grades and the worship of all the boys in school. Turns out that she actually has to much happyness energy. Not only that but she unwittingly and unknowingly steals the happyness from those around her as well. Enter Momiji, a Poverty God, who is tasked with fixing the problem that is Sakura. Only problem is that Sakura has no intention of giving up anything, let alone her happyness.

RANT: This anime was way more fun than it has any right to be. I hesitated very long about getting this but I eventually did because it was so cheap and I decided to gamble. It surprised me greatly and I'm glad I bought it.

It is my no means a masterpiece but it does what it sets out to do very well: Entertain.

There isn't much to the story and if I had wanted to I could have summed it up with one sentence. It's odd to say but this anime is mostly about the characters. There are others but the main characters are Momiji and Sakura. Both have an arc that pleasantly surprised me in their depth.

Sure there are the expected trappings but they are done well enough that I can look past all that. Sakura's happyness energy is often used as a Deus Ex Machina to get out of a situation and, again, I'm fine with this. It works within this story so using it is a clever twist.

Jokes are many and sometimes rapid fired at you. Quite a few are typical Japanese so these will fly right by you but many others found their mark. The visual gags are also quite well done and often humerous with surprising many Dragon Ball Z jokes. The more you know about Japanese culture the more jokes you'll get.

I must make a special note about the fan service though. It is the best I've seen in a very long time and it actually worked within the story. It is there but not overused and only when possible. They even have an episode dedicated to fan service that opens with its own song that was pretty hilarious. It is without a doubt the best fan service episode I've seen in.... Ever?

So yeah. I actually recommend this one. As mentioned I bought the SAVE edition over at Rightstuff and got it quite cheap so go for it. Take a gamble.

on

this is a very funny anime due to the parody it has and extreme scenes and over the top characters, this anime parodys dragon ball z the most, however they also paried one piece which killed me with laughter.

binbougami ga revolves around Ichikio, a really popular high school student due to her apperance and intellagnce, this is because she was born with alot of good fortune, this affected the balance of the fortune in the world so moji, the good of bad fortune attempts to inject all her good fortune out of her.

the only down side to this anime is the ending, there were so much unanswered questions.

on

Welcome to another review! This will be my sixth.

This time, I’m going to be talking about a show that can make you laugh your ass off. The show is called «Good luck girl!», or «Binbougami ga!» in Japanese.

STORY: The story centers around Ichiko Sakura, a girl with the perfect life, and Momiji, a god of poverty. Ichiko has everything, good grades, money, a hoard of boys that could die for her and a bunch of luck to top it off. She has a lot of what the show calls «happiness» or «fortune» energy. She has so much that she ends up draining everyone else’ happiness energy like a magnet. This is where Momiji comes inn, she is a god of poverty, also referred to as a god of «misfortune». Her job is to steal happiness energy from Ichiko to balance her energy with the rest of the community. Spoiled as she is, Ichiko won’t give it away without a fight. It’s not all positives though. The land of the poverty gods is not explored at all. We do get to see a few other characters from there, but we never actually get to know much about the place. It just feels like wasted potential.

CHARACTERS: The characters in Good luck girl are all likable and often hilarious. Momiji is very much a troll and loves to tease Ichiko. Ichiko gets mad very easily and throws back just as many jabs as she receives. They have this great relationship of making each other mad. Ichiko is actually a well fleshed out character. The show creates a lot of scenarios where they show her stepping out of her spoiled brat behavior. Throughout the show I often found myself sympathising with her. It’s truly wonderful seeing her do whatever she can to help someone. We also get to know why she is acting so spoiled. I won’t spoil what happened, but it’s both sad and aggravating.

Momiji is often very blunt and stiff when it comes to serious situations. At several occasions she uses fortune/happiness energy she stole from Ichiko to save people in dire need. While Momiji acts like a child a lot, she is the more mature of the two, seeing as she handles serious situations with more calmness. They are both strong and lovely characters. Other characters include: Momou, Keita, Bobby and Ranmaru. They are all lovely and have their hilarious moments. Momou is Momiji’ pet dog/human. He transform between the two. Momou loves pain and is a pervert. If you inflict him enough pain (or what he considers pleasure) in dog form, he turns in to a human. Keita is a big brother that works very hard for his family. He has many siblings, but their parents are gone. Keita has to work and go to school. It’s sad seeing him and his family struggling. Still, they love each other and live happily nonetheless. Since this is a comedy show, they do use him for comedy, and when they do it’s often to great effect.

Ranmaru is one of the most likable characters in the show. She dresses like a tomboy and does karate. Most of the time she is very friendly, but she blushes a lot infront of Keita seeing as she is in love with him. Bobby is a hilarious character. He is a monk and a huge perv. Promise him something like breasts and he will do anything for you. He lives in Ichiko’ house, along with Momiji, Momou and of course Ichiko herself.

SOUNDTRACK: The soundtrack of Good luck girl is pretty solid. It has a wide array of tracks, ranging from very lighthearted for the comedy and sad and beautiful for the drama. Tracks of both kind does their job very well, though the only real standout ones are the ending and opening themes. Talking about the opening song, it’s one of the most catchy songs I have heard in forever. It will take me ages to get it out of my head. The ending song is not nearly as catchy, but it does have it’s own charming sound that I rather like. I watched the show dubbed, but I also tried the sub. The dub is brilliant. All the voices fits the characters and the comedy so well. It’s not quite as good for the drama, but it’s still great.

From what I have heard of the sub, I’d say the same as above, but to a sleightly less degree, it does sound really good though. It makes me happy to say that both the dub and the sub are very viable option.

ANIMATION: The animation is mostly plain, though it does look good during the few fight scenes we get. Since the show is mostly a comedy, great animation is not required. The fight scenes looks fluid enough to be pleasing for the eye at least. Characterdesigns are nothing too special. There are a few standouts though, Momiji look like she just threw on the first things she could find and it does suit her (yes, all that is a good thing). Ranmaru’ tomboy clothes also looks really cool, that and her eyelashes (those are beautiful). Now, there is nothing wrong with any of the characters desings, most of them are just simply «Nice» or decent looking. Though, I guess I could add that I really like both Ichiko’ and Momiji’ eyes and Momiji’ hair. The animation in the opening is pretty nice though. Most the animation in the ending is fanservice pictures sliding along the screen.

CONCLUSION: Good luck girl is an Awesome comedy and a decent drama. I strongly recommend the show if you want to laugh, and don’t mind some decent drama along with the laughs. The show was definitely worth my time, and it will probably be worth your time as well, if you do decide to give it a shot.

This has been my sixth review and it has been as fun as ever!

Spoiler Free Inspection
Big Tits, Comedy, Drama, Random References to other anime, and the quiet pain of solitude. The events of the world are linked to the source of fortune each individual has. One individual seems to have far too much and the gods see fit to recalibrate the balance.

Beautiful animation, pumped up jams, and variation make this anime enjoyable visually and musically with what seems like no effort. The story hindges on the characters, which could be more fleshed out, but still develop in their own manner.

Bottom line, this anime is funny. However, it does get touchy feely, although not nearly enough to corrupt the silly anime showcase that is each episode.

8.5/10 characters