Beyblade

Add review
roriconfan's avatar
Apr 5, 2012

Beyblade is lame but at least it’s good at what it is trying to accomplish. Anime based on some product are made solely to advertise it and start an addiction to its possible consumers (usually nerdy kids with loaded parents). As such, most game –based anime are quite lame, with childish scenario and carton characters being just an excuse to shovel us flashy techniques or strategies of the soon-to-follow game. Despite this scam, Beyblade has a lame scenario, pathetic characters but makes a great (but exaggerated) advertising of the homonymous game.

ANIMATION & SOUND SECTION: 5/10 [trendy kids, cool monsters, average presentation.]
- Simply drawn 2D characters are using 3D flavored spinning tops. Spinning tops, I say! Does this sound interesting to you? It is a terrible concept! But it will sure take time to realize the stupidity. Although it is about kids playing with spinning tops, the animators easily trick us into believing that each one of them has unique techniques that make every battle different. Each user has a different strategy and some spinning tops have cool-looking monsters inside them that make special attacks and fill the screen with optical effects. You almost forget that it is actually just 10 year-olds throwing spinning tops at each other!
- All characters are typically drawn to look confident and/or cocky. Having a sense of style in their minds, the animators dressed their characters in trendy fashion and added tattoos and gimmick accessories to boost a bit their otherwise shallow presence. Without being anything much, the characters look and talk in a bearable way most of the time. And their spinning tops are packed with enough visual and sound effects to keep being interesting to the 10 year old target audience.
- As for the sound department, it is simply a bunch of screaming idiots yelling “BUY THIS GAME! IT’S LAME, BUT BUY IT ANYWAY”! But it has its nice moments.

STORY SECTION: 3/10 [Spinningtopmon! Got to buy them all!]
- The protagonist and almost everyone else in the story plan on becoming the best spinners in the world. So, they pretty much waste their lives training and playing with spinning tops and are finally pitted against a powerful organization, which plans to rule the world. How? Why, through spinning tops of course! Because the monsters inside them are in fact creatures from an ancient civilization that held tremendous power! Owwww! Scaryyy!
- Sounds like the story was written for AND by 5 year-olds. Seriously, the much similar Yu-Gi-Oh story is a masterpiece compared to this crap.
- By the way, this series has several sequels and movies besides this one… What? Sequels?! For Beyblade?!!! Many great series stop airing because of low ratings or lack in funds. Vision Of Escaflowne had to cut down 13 episodes because of a lack in funds. Legend of Galactic Heroes needed 10 years to produce a hundred episodes. And Beyblade actually gets extra seasons in a few years???
- Nah, it can’t be the ratings; the series simply sucks and spinning tops never became popular. Most likely it was the funds. The series was so cheap to produce that even crummy sales of Beyblade merchandise would be enough to make up for the expenses of making another series about this pathetic game. Like its theme, it’s cheap, superficial and forgettable in a few weeks. Man, those money-mugging game developers are EVIL! They are willing to make a thousand brain-killing series, if it helps them steal money from little kids addicted to spinning tops. Why waste time and money on producing a good series? Just repeat the same stupid stuff over and over until those 10 year olds are brainwashed to like it and then just wait for the money to pour in! Don’t you just love the materialism of our times?
- Anyway, the sequels are nothing different than before. The same stuff happen all over again, only in a slightly higher scale in terms of visual effects and story.

CHARACTERS SECTION: 3/10 [Get a life you dorks!]
- There is a trendy-looking bunch of kids who care more about spinning tops, than, let’s say, finding a job or getting laid, and a bunch of costumed weirdos who plan to control the world with ancient monsters. All of them just talk and care about them as if there is nothing more interesting or alternative to watching spinning thingies bouncing and crashing with each other. This gets boring after a while.
- Most of them have some purpose they can only accomplish through the spinning tops that makes their obsession with them understandable. But if you try to reason it a bit, you can find a thousand other alternative choices they could have made instead of loosing their time with this game.

VALUE SECTION: 1/10 [What is that?]
Value your money and stay away from this pathetic example of awful anime… AND the game, for the same manner. They are just spinning tops for God’s sake! In reality, you have no control over them and they don’t unleash huge monsters that blow up buildings. Don’t be fooled!

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 4/10 [All the spinning makes you nauseatingly addicted to it.]
Ok, the customization the spinning tops may have is huge and may interest gimmick and miniature fans. Some battles are actually good to look at and the fighting arenas constantly change. Half of the time, there is something bearable to watch… HALF, I say. And only if you are under 10 years old, of which I am not.

VERDICT: 3.5/10
The accused is found … GUILTY! … For selling us a pretty box with nothing inside.

SUGGESTION LIST

This series is better than:
Duel Masters and Bedaman. The kings of lame game-based anime.

This series is equal to:
Medarot, Pokemon, YuGiOh, Bakusou Kyoudai Let's & Go. These series also advertise games but they are bearable half the time.

3.5/10 overall
Drago1274's avatar
Feb 9, 2011

This was a really good anime. It had a good plot and setting. It doesn't rank very high, but to me it's not such a bad anime. The plot could have been done a bit better. There's not much to say to this anime becase it doesn't have that many flaws, but it deosnt have that many good things to say either. Even though it is still a good anime to watch. If your a really young kid by the age of 10-12 you might really like this show, but if your a guy/girl with age 14+ I recommend you go watch another anime because the story really isn't for older viewers.

7.5/10 story
Dario97's avatar
Apr 5, 2012

This review is based on english dub version

Story: It's about Tyson Granger, thirteen years old boy, that lives with his grandfather. He is considered as one of the two best players in the town in beyblade (Tyson, not grandpa xD).  At the beginning of the series he will meet  new enemies with whose he unexpected will create a regional tournament team - BladeBreakers. They gonna travel through the world to take a part in Beyblade championships. With time, there are also secondary threads, including the dark thread associated with a dangerous organization that needs to be stopped.

Animation: Well, it doesn't look pretty, but i didn't had time to complain. Some people can be shocked through xD

Sound:  In english dub it's amazing. Especially battle music. The songs are really awesome and they surely gonna stay in memory for a while (i still remember some of them xD). The voice-actors are good too.

Characters: They're brilliant. Some of them are very funny, the other one's are more serious. I think they are the most awesome characters in anime (well, there are many others also xD).

Overall: Beyblade is surely interesting anime. The characters are brilliant, story is...hmmm not so complicated and sound is awesome. I'm not gonna talk about animation, because everyone can see how it looks. It's not a bother for me xD This isalso a very rare species of animes, where english dub is better than jap (for real). I recommend this series for every shounen maniac out there. If you aren't scared by the animation, watch !

This is my first review, so don't complain. Just shut the fuck up and go watch Gintama or Beelzebub xD

FreddyCrab's avatar
Dec 17, 2011

Story: The story of Beyblade is just a typical young boys anime, but I found it quite a deal more interesting than Yu-Gi-Oh! or Pokemon, because instead of just mindless fighting and aiming to get to be the Master of Poemon or Top Duelist in the world, in Beyblade there are lots of mini-stories mixed up in it as well, which gives Beyblade more of an air of being more for maturer viewers instead of trademark target audience of 7 and 8 year old boys.

The mini stories also made me love the characters more, since the stories would provide character background and help us learn from the characters mistakes- the last main story of Kai realising the importance of friendship was so cute :3 and all the stories were full of important moral lessons for the viewers.

Animation: Sadly animation in this show is not great, but it could be worse. But I suppose pre-adolescent boys aren't really that bothered- the monsters in the Beyblades looked quite well done, and I suppose thats all they cared about.

Sound: I liked the sound in Beyblade, it suited the target audience and the repetitive tunes may have popped up every single episode, but at least they didn't get annoying.

Characters: The characters in Beyblade are so sweet :D The great deal of character development and background supplied in this anime makes all the characters instantly unique, and the way they are all portrayed clearly defines each one. I think these are some of the best anime characters in any anime except for maybe my top few favourites like Digimon characters or Han-Dan. But for a young shounen anime, the characters are VERY impressive.

Overall: Yes its a simple Pokemon remake, but the characters are so much better, this is more suitable for maturer viewers as well as younger ones, and it always has a multitude of tricks up its sleeve to keep the anime interesting. Its not that bad :)

6.5/10 story
saturnmidnight's avatar
Apr 28, 2016

Beyblade is a series I grew up with, and I'm not a boy, I'M A GIRL! What attracted me to the series was the totally hot characters-especially Kai- but not only that.

The story has a lot to say about teamwork, friendship, trying your best, and having fun. It can be really lame with the dialogue, especially with this being such an old anime, but the characters keep you going through it. As another reviewer said, there are other plot lines tied to characters which are intertwined with the main plot of the series. The characters definitely make the story strong and the characters are very diverse.

When I first watched Beyblade, they were already on V-force. Although I would have hardly given it a glance because of the animation, when I went back to see what happened in the first season I really loved it. Is it embarrassing to say I can still go back and watch it as an adult? (Though I skim through episodes.)

ANYWAYS, it's definitely a great series for younger people (11-15), and it only gets better-the final series with Tyson and the gang had to be the best.