Berserk

VivisQueen's avatar By on May 23, 2008

While I would have liked to begin with a witty, intellectual line about how great Berserk is, I just couldn't find the right words to do it. For some reason, Berserk defies any attempts at clever analysis, meaning that I'm left with no option but to say it how I feel: Berserk is hands down one of the best anime around. It may not turn out to be one of your top favourites; it may put you off with its dated appearance; and heck, its final episode is likely to leave you royally pissed. Regardless, I'll bet you any amount you name that it will still knock your socks off.

As unfair as it seems in hindsight, Berserk's opening scenario of innocent tavern girls getting bullied and monsters terrorising villages reminded me too much of some of the demon hentai I've come across. Needless to say, my expectations of Berserk thereafter hit rock bottom; by the end of the first episode, however, I had changed my mind all over again. What I discovered was that while the setting looked like a shit idea, the character and plot developments were something else altogether. Gatts' encounter with the demon lord in the first episode instantly raises the question of how a man could be so remorseless, and the subsequent flashback begins the epic story that provides the answer.

What is surprising about Berserk's plot is how well its various elements come together: take the story of a man who wants greatness at all cost; add a corresponding tale of a man who thinks of nothing but fighting his next battle; stir vigorously with demons and gore; sprinkle some ingenious military-political manoeuvres on top, and what you get is a potent blend of fantasy action. Moreover, Berserk has a knack for pacing and structure; just when I think the messianic plot themes and cataclysmic battles couldn't be more melodramatic, Berserk presents a touching flashback during which the characters reveal something interesting about their pasts. I'm not usually a fan of flashbacks since they interrupt the flow of a story, but in Berserk's case, they feel more like a vital part of the experience than a convenient plot device. For example, the story of Caska's first encounter with Griffith had me glued to the screen as intently as any of the scenes of clashing armies and monster fights. In fact, Berserk had me so engrossed that every episode felt like it ended ten minutes too early.

This only leaves one glaring problem, namely the fact that it doesn't end. I can't emphasise this strongly enough, but Berserk comes to the kind of screeching halt that could feed a rant for pages and pages. The anime covers perhaps a quarter of the manga's plot, and to make things worse, it stops halfway through an arc! Even pre-warned I still wasn't prepared for just how abrupt the ending turned out to be. For many, the disappointment will be acute; and for that kind of pain, I can only recommend the manga as a cure, which continues with the same (if not better) level of quality.

Apart from the extravagant monster designs, Berserk's concept looks lifted straight out of some generic high fantasy novel; with knights in full armour, moats and castles, shining fairies, and swords aplenty, there is really nothing too exceptional about Berserk's European universe.

At its worst, Berserk suffers from an impoverished budget, which is evident considering the frequent use of still shots and the low number of frames in some of the action scenes. I have never been particularly bothered by either of these flaws if the story is good enough, and in that regard, Berserk more than compensates.

Problems aside, some of the character concepts are pleasantly surprising; Griffith's icy appearance, Caska's unusually dark skin, and Gatts' rippling build and oversized sword are instantly eye-catching. Also, while the action sequences may not be much more than adequate when compared to more recent anime, I do like their gritty approach to violence.

Berserk's soundtrack is not particularly varied; almost all of the intense scenes with a score use only a slight variation of the same theme. However, the little there is makes for a pleasant listening experience and never gets old despite the repetition. Besides, the lack of variety is probably due to the fact that Berserk relies far more on natural background noise to create tension.

Although faced with a script that is occasionally laden with cheese, Berserk's Japanese voice actors still manage to deliver some truly emotional dialogue. For instance, the villains issue macho threats and chuckle with nefarious delight, but the protagonists tend to have serious tones which are full of subtle nuances. Notably, Griffith has a softer voice than I expected, although it fits his cool, intelligent demeanour like a glove and even makes him seem doubly sinister on occasion. Predictably, the American cast are only half as good; I could only stomach a few episodes of their daytime drama acting. If possible, avoid them at all cost.

What is impressive about Berserk is that it has no weak cast members to speak of; not one of them falls short of delivering a convincing performance. Granted, the stock characters such as Princess Charlotte remain far less developed than the protagonists, but they still manage to fit the story to a tee. As for the central characters, they are unexpectedly complex and emotionally engaging on every level:

Gatts is a traditional tortured hero type who carries the burdens of a dubious origin and a disturbed past. What makes him a great lead character despite being a stereotype on the surface is that he embodies, in the bluntest way, what makes a person likeable; he has a raw, honest personality which, despite his reticence, still comes across as touchingly vulnerable. Besides, he may not be people-friendly, but he kicks a lot of arse and he saves people, and he does it all with a sword twice his size.

Griffith, as far as the anime is concerned, is probably Berserk's strongest standalone element (in the manga, Gatts is definitely more interesting). He is beautiful like an angel and radiates the kind of charisma that moves armies and topples kingdoms; what's more, he is inhumanly cunning and generally the kind of character you can fall for over and over again. However, the guy is also undeniably fucked up. As Griffith leads the Band of the Hawk to glory and wins hearts as well as minds, there is always an element of doubt concerning his true intentions; of course, this only serves to make him all the more engaging.

As the only female to have a significant role, Caska exceeded my initial expectations; she doesn't have big tits or bare long legs, and she has both common sense and superb fighting skills. Intelligent, a leader within the Hawks, and harbouring an intense loyalty to Griffith, she is a character with a distinct purpose. Caska's only downfall is that, as the series progresses, she gets forced back into a predictably misogynistic role.

With regards to the supporting cast, the members of the Band of the Hawk are easily the most memorable, with Judeau ranking as my favourite; whilst he may be young and have relatively little screen time, his wisdom and perceptiveness when it comes to his comrades is refreshing. Corkus, on the other hand, is another great character whose relentless dislike of Gatts provides for some much-needed comedy; I also like the fact that he adds a more pessimistic nuance to the Band of the Hawk dynamic. All in all, these are the kinds of characters for which I harbour deep nostalgic feelings; their strong personalities and intricate development makes them difficult to forget.

Overall

The villains can be cheesy; almost every scene involves someone getting gutted or having their limbs chopped off; and the demons tend to eat people just for the heck of it. All of this would usually result in an anime that is mediocre at best and probably doomed to obscurity. However, Berserk's superb character development and uniquely messianic plot makes it not just an accomplished piece of fiction that somehow survives its terrible ending, but an undeniable masterpiece at that.

8.5/10 story
7.5/10 sound
9.5/10 characters
Glock89's avatar By on Aug 17, 2014

(Warning: not a native english speaker XD)

This is my first review and i felt that this show deserved it. Despite all the previous reviews saying that there's a deep plot behind Berserk I have not found it anywhere in this show (I ignore if the manga is better). Berserk is a massive loop of the main character killing people with very bad animation and unjustified pseudohentai scenes.

The characters are predictable, the relationships that are developed between them are predictable and the ending of the show was very predictable (I figured out in the 2-3 episode). I don't know how i managed to watch the entire show (maybe because I had nothing better to do) but I'm starting to realize that the so called epitome of anime (evangelion and a long etc) could have been written by my 5-year old sister.

Predictable and dull.

Ughhh...

I kinda like it.

-Ohh, I want to become the king of the world... Uhh

roriconfan's avatar By on Apr 12, 2012

ANIME EVOLUTION SERIES
Full list of the review series can be found on this page, 3rd post from bottom:

TEASER:
(video contains spoilers) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5fAUGEJyUo
(PS3 battle theme) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV26zIE0130

I like epic fantasy, dragons, wizards, and knights and stuff. If there is good action and interesting characters to the lot, I like it a lot more. Some years before this one they made Record of Lodoss War, which as good as it may have been in terms of story, the plot and the action were boring as hell and thus it was nothing but a good idea. And then this baby pops up, with a really dark, violent and erotic take on the subject and instantly hooks me with its aesthetics. It had medieval kingdoms, big swords, frenzied warriors, gore, nude, sex, intrigue, betrayal, demons, a quest for vengeance, and an ending that was screaming for a sequel. Hey, why shouldn’t I like it? Lodoss still gets the prize for the best Sword & Sorcery anime ever made (it had a very good campaign setting) but Berserk is top gun in the Dark Fantasy category.

And since I now prefer to state reasons and not specifics in my reviews, here is the rundown in a list of all the things I liked in this show.

1) The pilot episode. It ain’t shitting around with a slow build up. It begins at a point in the future where the lead character is already somehow betrayed and mutilated by his best friend, and he is on a quest to kill the sucker. The very first episode tells you with a scene from the future how the world became a dark and morbid place, where the people live in fear and demons have crawled in powerful positions of authority, toying sadistically with innocents. It is an extremely powerful plot device to hook you for what is about to follow… or not.

The second episode is actually the story told from the start, as we gradually see how the protagonist grows up in the battlefield, gets more powerful, wields bigger swords (I mean, REALLY bigger swords), how he makes allies, friends, lovers, and enemies. You already know how all that will have a bad outcome because of the pilot episode so you are easily interested to see how all that happened. It was an amazing way to attract the viewer with this sort of glimpse to the future for two reasons. First, if the lead and his enemies were so powerful from the start, chances are you would be bored with the series fast because there wouldn’t be room for improvement or change in general. Showing how strong he will eventually become and then flashbacking to the past, means you have all the reason to expect something good in the end despite how weak he appears to be at first. Second, one would be fooled to think the show doesn’t have major battles or a grim story if the pilot episode didn’t offer a glimpse to the future, and it was starting straight from the beginning.

Many later anime used this method; the most vivid examples I remember right now are Gungrave and Gai-Rei Zero. It may not feel so special today but back then it was the first time I got to experience it and I loved it for what is all about.

2) Gore, splatter, nude and sex. This almost goes without needing an explanation. Sex and violence always sell and this anime has buckets of it. Sounds like brain-dead superficial entertainment but unlike most shows Berserk is only using them as attraction and not as definition. Because to be honest, most heavy on action and/or nude series are usually nothing without these elements while Berserk works fine even without them.

Plus, it uses a form of violence that is quite appealing to me; hand-to-hand and sword-to-sword battles between frenzied armoured warriors. Using magic or lasers to do the same just doesn’t look raw enough. This is also the reason I disliked splatter and nude in Elfen Lied; over there it was naked girls butchering meek people with invisible hands and then going all “niu-niu-moe-moe!” of which I found to be retarded in the least.

3) Interesting characters. As continuation of the above, the main three characters of Berserk are interesting, even if there wasn’t a ton of violence and gore in the show. You gradually see them revealing all their inner thoughts to you, their pasts, their goals, their desires and hopes. You see them getting beaten, learning from their mistakes, maturing, being broken by betrayal and coming out more crazy than what they already were. Shows which do that in such a degree AIN’T that many. Plus, the aforementioned violence is used to bring out their weak side and hidden thoughts, something which other anime like Hellsing or Devil May Cry don’t and have them permanently frozen in a state of brainless battle-frenzied euphoria, which becomes tiresome fast.

What is also very interesting is how each one is eventually limited to a certain role, even if he or she would rather be something entirely different. Guts never manages to live a peaceful life, as he is constantly thrown in battles he can’t escape from and is addicted to mayhem. Griffith never manages to fulfil his quest to gain his own kingdom, without constantly having to sacrifice more and more of his humanity, to the point he stops being humane just to get an impersonal piece of land. And Caska, no matter how much she tries to be an independent woman, who can fend off herself and protect Griffith, eventually her own body limits her to the role of support and a target of lust by many horny men. All that are rarely seen in other shows, who follow the very simplistic view of “You can be anyone you want and achieve anything you want if you really believe in it and work hard.” Well, I am sorry but some things are simply not as easy for some as they are for others, purely because of body restrictions or lack of charisma and/or talent. Sounds depressing but it is true and this anime has the guts (lol bad pun) to admit it.

4) Political power struggles. The show is not centered on a team of warriors, strolling a generic kingdom and doing stand-alone missions. The world they live in has affected them and is affected back by them, all part of Griffith’s goal to leave his mark on the world by getting his own kingdom. Along the way many aristocrats get annoyed by his continual successes and fearing their own agendas to be stolen by him continually try to assassinate him. And he reacts by plotting his own assassinations. All of which happen in secrecy, while the kingdom is at war with its neighbours. So it is not a story about a few brave warriors protecting their good homeland by invading monsters; it is a simple war of political agendas between local kings for whom gets to have all the lands for himself. And not only that; it is also about the internal double crossing the aristocrats do to one another every time one wants to steal the glory from the other. This double battlefield, the external and the internal, create a feeling far more realistic to any typical medieval story with a knight in shining armour protecting the kind king and fending off evil invaders. There are no black or white characters here; everybody is grey to black, scared by the constant atmosphere of death and decay in the name of greed and ambition.

This is not that new in Berserk, as to be honest older shows like Rose of Versailles and Legend of Galactic Heroes were also heavy on political agendas and done the same thing in a lot more realistic and mature way. But hey, Berserk’s version was so simplistically raw, that it was fine on its own.

5) Atheistic take on humanity. Although religion is a topic hardly mentioned directly in anime, over here it is openly trampled as nothing more than a false ideal to hide one’s dark desires. It is extremely interesting how the show uses ideals and hopes as means for clergy and ambitious leaders to control their underlings. This was never done before so openly. It even goes as far as claiming how all the demons in the show are in reality people willing to sacrifice everything in order to fulfil their desires, even if it means losing their humanity and killing everyone they love. I really liked how monsters are not treated as generic incarnations of evil or plain misguided mortals; they are shown to be the pure form of ambition liberated by the constraints of morality, emotions and ideals.

6) Psychological symbolisms and imagery. Many parts of the show, usually those involving demons, are full of WTF sceneries, all of which have to do with basic carnal desires and fears. Unlike most shows with demonic dimensions, which are nothing but generic depictions of torture of the damned, here all the monsters and their Eclipse world are directly attributed to their personalities having been given in completely to their desires. The characters are not scared of getting crazy because of them. Heck, they are mostly terrified of becoming like that as well. Not because it is bad or wrong, but because it feels inappropriate for any human being to end up like that. Which is again are very interesting as a concept.

Cliffhanger ending. This is a part most hate about the show, as it ends in the most exciting and agonizing way possible. But in reality, that is also a plus of the show as it is almost demanding from you to read the manga just to see what happens next. So yes, it is a very smart way to promote the manga version, and even making it necessary to read from the start all over again, because many things were taken out and thus nobody will understand the continuation if he hasn’t read the parts which were taken out.

Some consider the artwork of the anime to be dreadfully low on budget and how that makes the action look silly but I don’t agree with that. The animators indeed had lots of sloppy moments inserted in the show and most of them have to do with lack of animation and repeated footage and not with bad drawings. The drawings are in fact great. Ok, they are super great in the manga version with those myriads of shadowing lines (best overall artwork ever BTW) but the anime is NOT bad because of that. In fact, many parts were left as frozen panels, where Guts looks frenzied as he butchers people. That by itself is as powerful image as it would be if it was Guts killing people with three seconds of fluent animation.

Finally, the music score is amongst the most blood boiling pieces of grudge rock and orchestrated epic music even made and easily tops even the animation part of the show. The characters have really appropriate voice actors with no stupid pitches in voice. Even the sound effects were successful, as simple as they may have been.

Bottom line, Berserk is fine dark fantasy material, with great action and story and characters. The manga version is of course continuing the story far more than where the anime stops and features far more gore and sex scenes. Berserk rightfully deserves a place in the hall of fame in its genre, with it sitting on the throne, wearing the crown and holding the sceptre. I know many who prefer the much later Claymore anime just because the visuals are better; but nah, that one was too heavy on fan service with chicks in tight spandex and had one of the most annoying support characters in the history of fiction. Of course, so did Berserk, but the animators were smart enough to NOT include THAT character in the anime. So hands down; for Berserk is the king and demands you to pay tribute.

Oh, and for those of you who want more, check out Vinland Saga. It reminds me of Berserk in many ways and it is an equally good manga.

And now for some excused scorings.

ART SECTION: 8/10
General Artwork 1/2 (rather run-down)
Character Figures 2/2 (memorable)
Backgrounds 2/2 (atmospheric)
Animation 1/2 (basic)
Visual Effects 2/2 (atmospheric)

SOUND SECTION: 9/10
Voice Acting 3/3 (good)
Music Themes 4/4 (great)
Sound Effects 2/3 (ok I guess)

STORY SECTION: 7/10
Premise 2/2 (interesting)
Pacing 2/2 (ok)
Complexity 2/2 (a lot for what it is)
Plausibility 1/2 (a bit far-fetched but otherwise fine)
Conclusion 0/2 (doesn’t exist)

CHARACTER SECTION: 9/10
Presence 2/2 (cool)
Personality 2/2 (well founded)
Backdrop 2/2 (rich)
Development 2/2 (strong)
Catharsis 1/2 (not much because of the incomplete ending)

VALUE SECTION: 10/10
Historical Value 3/3 (all-known)
Rewatchability 3/3 (sure, why not)
Memorability 4/4 (extremely atmospheric to the point of forever remembering it)

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 8/10
The rather poor animation and the incomplete ending take out points but it’s otherwise awesome.

VERDICT: 8.5/10

liamb1996's avatar By on Jul 1, 2015

ENDING WHAT.

Im sorry but this show was so great and the ending was just, yeah. Thanks. I got NTR'd and got left with the never ending scream of Gus in tears.

AND THE MANGA IS STILL GOING.

ENDING WHAT.

4L3x's avatar By on May 10, 2015

Anime G(old).

Habiendo terminado Berserk no pude más que darme a la tarea de tratar de poner en letras lo increible que es este anime. Les doy un poco de feedback técnico antes de empezar. Es creado por Kentaro Miura. El manga empezó en 1988 y viene ahí hasta hoy en día. Puesto en hiato por los problemas de salud de Kentaro y con la incertidumbre si esta historia podrá terminar. La Animación estuvo a cargo de Oriental Light and Magic (Pokemon, y eso dice mucho sobre como animan) y el director del anime fue Naohito Takahashi (Sin ningún proyecto interesante que destacar, excepto Berserk, eso es suficiente).

Berserk tiene una imagen de anime violento, gore, y tonto; nada más lejos de la realidad, este anime va mucho más de ello, basta dejarse envolver en los primeros capítulos, y fácilmente se podrá observar la densidad argumental en su trama. Su trama parece simple: Tenemos a Guts (Y esto es un juego de palabras, pues dicha palabra en ingles significa “agallas, coraje o valentía”, lo cual muestra que el nombre del personaje no fu escogido al adrede.) un mercenario cargado de ira que vaga de contrato en contrato por el simple placer de blandir su espada y cobrar por ello, esto va a cambiar cuando por una casualidad del destino se encuentra con una banda de mercenarios llamada “Cuadrilla del Halcón” el cual estará liderado por un enigmático líder llamado Griffith. Este tiene como sueño llegar a coronarse rey y está comprometido a hacer lo necesario para lograrlo. Si, la trama suena sencilla, pero eso es solo su fachada, estamos antes una historia de “Fantasía oscura” y en la trama vamos a encontrar, brujería, satanismo, demonios, asesinatos en masa, violaciones, pedofilia, tortura y un largo etc. De tópicos que el humano carga. Es en esto donde la trama se apoya, pues a través de la historia se nos bombardeará con preguntas existenciales como el ¿Porque estamos aquí? ¿Cuál es nuestro objetivo? ¿Realmente tenemos un objetivo? ¿Nacemos simplemente para morir? ¿Qué es el amor? ¿Puede tal cosa existir en un mundo tan despiadado como este? Todas estas preguntas serán formuladas y está en nuestros personajes hallar sus respuestas; algo que hace que tanto su trama como personajes se vean en un constante cambio y desarrollo al pasar de los capítulos.

Si hablamos de sus personajes, estos son amenos, carismáticos, y estrictamente bien definidos. Siendo los principales bastante complejos. Como ya dije, al igual que la trama estos crecerán conforme avanzan los capítulos, mostrando un espectacular progreso de los mismos, algunos para bien otros para mal y esto aplica tanto para los personajes primarios como los secundarios. Su animación es algo deficiente para ser de 1998 (Debo decir esto aun viendo la versión de Blu-Ray, la DVD o la TV son aún más deficientes) en especial si la comparamos con Cowboy Bebop, la cual también fue aireada por esas fechas pero que tiene una animación más que destacable, el trabajo artístico en el paisaje es bastante simple y aburrido. Sin embargo podría destacar el diseño artístico de los personajes pues estos se trajeron toda la belleza del arte del anime ochentero, aunque algunas veces la calidad cae horripilantemente, en especial en algunas escenas con toma abierta.

El BGM este sí que no se me escapa. En una palabra: HERMOSO. Compuesto por Susumu Hirasawa del quien se dice es un ídolo para Kentaro Miura (Creador de Berserk) tanto así que Susumo produjo la música y Kentaro ni se molestó en hacer un check de calidad, pues confiaba plenamente en él. Sonidos melancólicos, románticos y movidos. Su música captura perfectamente las emociones que este anime levanta y las adereza espectacularmente, nunca había sentido la necesidad de escuchar un OST de algún anime entero, hasta que llego Berserk. Su Opening es “TELL ME WHY” llevado a cabo por la banda “PENPALS” el cual es excelente, al igual que su melancólico Ending "Waiting so long” interpretado por “Silver Fins”.

Creo que al final escribí mucho pero dije casi nada de lo mucho que este anime ofrece, creo que tendrán que comprobarlo ustedes mismos. Sin más que agregar Berserk es un anime sumamente recomendado para todo aquel aficionado del seinen, y con gusto por la acción pero también de tramas densas y complejas.