Bartender

hotspot's avatar By hotspot on Jul 25, 2014

The anime is about a bartender who has conversations with his customers; they tell him about their stories. Each episode is different and revolves around a different character, and sometimes the characters from one episode will be in another one.

It has plenty of information about alcohol and where all sorts of varieties of drinks came from, how they were made and how to make them.

Okay, so I had first tried out this anime back in 2012... I watched two episodes and then I stopped because I just found it so boring, at the time I wanted to watch some nice slice of life anime, so I thought this sounded interesting. I didn't want to throw it away that quickly, so I just figured I would try it some other time. So, I started watching it today, I watched episode 3 and I tried to watch episode 4. Episode 3 was barely entertaining to me and I kept daydreaming while it was on. I started watching the fourth episode and I was once again daydreaming and I just had to stop, so I stopped it right on 8 minutes and just could not watch it anymore!

I really wanted to like this anime, but it just does not get my attention. A previous review said this anime is for a certain taste, and I am not one of them! I just don't find this anime interesting, it's too dull for me. I suppose I need either a more interesting concept, or maybe just some action or comedy in the mix. I am also not a fan of alcohol, so that could also be a thing.  On another note, the intro song.. I just find it very WEIRD!! XD I'm not saying it's bad, but it's just different lol.

For me, this anime was a pass, I could not watch it anymore and just kept on thinking about the 300 anime I have on my "Want to watch" list and how I am wasting my time on this one that I do not find interesting.

If you're into a more calm and realistic anime, this is for you, but if you like comedy or action themes.. this is not for you.

mariprosa's avatar By mariprosa on Jan 6, 2009

Bartender is an anime series that takes an acquired taste to appreciate: its progressively engaging slice of life premise is unlike most anime series that are either exuberant in tone or use emphasized elements to tell their respective stories.  Instead, Bartender takes its time to immerse you in an environment that's enticing and seductive in its own undertones. Like Antique Bakery for pastries, or Yakitate Japan for bread, Bartender immerses you in the world of alcoholic beverages with a mature flair.  Only...it doesn't quite invest in the same humor or flares that define the series aforementioned.

I might be among the right audience for this series, in that I enjoy progressively paced slice of life series that indulge in a central theme, and don't mind if it has an episodic progression if the themes in each are tangible and relate well to each other.  While I've never consumed an alcoholic beverage, I felt enticed by my watch of Bartender, in that it features a rather soothing environment and intuitive approach to the occupation with a charismatic bartender and a multitude of characters who wish to escape their dilemmas, shown in each of the 11 episodes this series highlights. The idea that a choice of a drink can characterize a person completely reeled me into the respective story and up to its rather noted conclusion, though if one is expecting something to culminate into a conflict or central resolution, you are definitely NOT the audience for this series to be able to appreciate it.

The problem also lies in that it is a series that you really have to be in the right mindset to watch it, otherwise, its affect is lost and those who are looking to be easily entertained or engrossed may find it quite dull. I personally thought it was one the best character expansive/philosophical series I've come across in a long time, and literally most series don't give the kind of depth and intricate expansion that this series does, with a soothing flair and at ease progression that takes its time accordingly.

Very high quality character designs and coloring, as well as depth to the environments that are just as soothing as the tone the series sets.  The light/dark contrasts are easy on the eyes and the designs remind me of series like "Monster", "Master Keaton," and "Human Crossing" for fair comparison, if a bit more rich in quality. (Yet I should note the only one this series remotely resembles in tone and progression is "Human Crossing.")

Settings are quite realistic in design and intricate details, even from the sculpture that's showcased in one of the early episodes. I was impressed even with the level of detail in the wine bottles and the cocktail glasses.

Beautiful soundtrack overall, I'd honestly put it among my favorite anime soundtracks for its calm, jazzy quality.  The opening theme is an enticing number called "Hajimari no Hito" by a prominent jazz group called Natural High.  The showcasing of the various characters in the dynamic opening sequence invites you in its mature, moderate tempo song.  The ending theme "Bartender" is just as elegant, and the BGM provides a nice accent to the environments and situations in which the characters are showcased.

Voice acting is appropriate though it isn't so much a factor that improves the series.  Rather, it complements the characters and situations in its own right.

There are an array of characters that are showcased throughout Bartender in the episodic array of episodes, each dealt with an intricate manner of how their back story, personality, or respective situation matches the respective beverage of choice.  The series treats its characters intricately, but doesn't really develop them over a progressive time where you come into resonation with them individually.  Rather, you learn to appreciate who they are in an aesthetic, philosophical notation. Don't come into this series expecting characters to jump out at you, because while its characters drive it, it's done so in a way that's different from most anime series.  I'll compare it to Human Crossing again: a series of stories in one-shot context that revolve within a central theme. If you can keep that notation in your mind as you watch, or you like series that are in that vein, you'll find yourself enjoying it for what it offers.

Yet, in the midst of it all, I was impressed with the character Ryu Sasakura, who acts as your "friendly neighborhood Bartender" with an eye that can see the core of his customer base. He has an awareness of who they are, their personality and what to match along with it, and he does so with a kindness and ease that's both attractive yet subtle.

Omurqi's avatar By Omurqi on Oct 2, 2009

I highly suggest playing this OST of Bartender while reading this review, as it captures the mood of the show perfectly.

Let’s start off by saying that Bartender is an anime you need to watch at the right time to get the most out of it. It’s like a piece of Jazz for a Rock / Metal fan like myself; a great way to relax and clear my mind as opposed to fast riffs to get me pumped up. Therefore, if you pick the right time (and drink) to watch this, you’ll get much more out of it. For me it was the perfect change of pace between anime like Ga-Rei -Zero- and Bokurano.

Bartender follows the meetings and conversations between visitors of the Eden Hall bar and Ryū Sasakura, a bartender whose skills are so famed he is nicknamed “The Glass of Gods”, after his most famous cocktail. Not only is he a master with the liquors, he also is a brilliant talker with a very good perception towards his customers. In every episode you get to see the problems these customers have, and the simple, yet ingenious ways Ryū manages not to directly fix these problems, but how he manages to fix the attitude of his customers towards these problems, in his own, incredibly likable way.

The quality of the animation is good. This is one of the only series I’ve seen in which the darker color tones actually added to the whole experience, making you feel this is taking place in an old, calm bar instead of some flashy club. Also, the details in which the bottles were drawn added more to the series than I imagined it could.

The sound too, is a perfect fit for this anime. The OST exclusively contains feel-good jazz without any big-band pieces and with lots of piano used. The opening theme is very fitting and brings you in the right mood for every episode straight away, and every episode has its own ending theme, appropriate to the customer and drink served.

Now, on to the weak points. First of all, the three tags used on the A-P entry are entirely correct, and are also what will keep most people from watching this. It’s unmistakably a Slice of Life / Episodic / Slow-Paced show. There is no action going on at all in the entire show, there are only conversations and journeys through the annoyances of the customers (in a way that keeps it from being bitter, mind you). This isn’t your everyday “giggling-high-school-girls” RomCom™, nor is it some heavy psychological drama. Aside from Ryū’s otherworldly skills, this anime comes across as entirely believable. These are mostly unexaggerated problems the everyday person runs into in those stages of his or her life.

Oh damnit, there you go, I lose my restraint for one moment and I already managed to transform the section for ranting into a praising. Asides from the obvious statement that this genre won’t appeal to everyone, I really can’t see any flaws in this incredibly pleasant show. For me, this is about as good as episodic, slow paced conversation-based shows go.

7.8/10 story
Howlorihara's avatar By Howlorihara on Dec 12, 2012

A friend and I decided that we wanted to watch an anime together and, due to the great reviews we had seen for this, we decided to give it a go.  I was completely let down and I genuinely expected more from this anime than a bunch of heavy handed metaphors that were the base for each episode.

Story:  The concept the story started with was pretty fun.  At its core, this show is about the numerous people that come into a bar, Eden Hall, and leave with a lesson well learned from the Bartender who works there.  The creators didn't have to push the concept as hard as they did.  I felt like the irony of the situation and the terrible metaphors were being shoved down my throat.  Around the third episode of the show my friend and I decided we needed to start doing whipped cream shots every time we heard a terrible metaphor.  That was a lot of whipped cream.  I am going to give some examples.  In episode two Sasakura, the bartender, asks the woman who walks in if he can get her a menu.  She replies that he can help her find "A menu of the heart."  My friend and I had to rewind this part because we could not believe she had just said that.  In episode 6 the phrase "flames of passion" was being thrown around like it was the most natural line of dialogue in the world.  It was incredibly halting for the story line since we kept missing things due to our laughter and having to rewind it.  The dialogue was this horrible throughout the whole anime.  It didn't feel natural, like average people talking about their problems to a bartender.  It felt like the creators beating a terrible metaphor to death throughout the course of an episode.  Ultimately, the fact that I could feel the creator’s presence behind this whole anime was incredibly irritating to me as the whole show felt like their extensive monologue.  One major plus I will give this anime is the history behind the alcohol.  That was genuinely interesting and incredibly entertaining.  Every drink that went along with an extended metaphor would get a historical explanation.  I genuinely found that to be the most interesting part of the show.  I probably would watch a show on the history of alcohol so I thought that part was excellent.  Furthermore, I really enjoyed how the ending credits were individualized to show the episodes main drink being prepared by a live bartender.  That was probably the best part of the show in my opinion.

Animation:   I feel like I need to split the animation into two categories.  Firstly, to get the negatives out of the way, the character animation was incredibly poor.  Their movements were very choppy and somehow seemed to defy the laws of physics.  For instance, in a shot that is used repeatedly in multiple episodes, Sasakura is shaking one of the numerous drinks.  His forearms and bangs are the only things that seem to move but the fashion in which they do is so improbable.  They treat the shaker as if it is creating such a vacuum of wind that his bangs would move along with it and not as if the force against his body of the shaking would cause his bangs to move in the opposite direction.  Little matters like that piled up so all of the characters actions just felt bizarre. Furthermore, for an anime that bases so much on emotions, the expressions were far too stiff looking and didn't even seem to fit the scene.  Moving on to the positives, the background animation was stunning.  Any time I would see the row of bottles on the shelves I couldn't help but admire the amazing job that the animators did with making each and every individual bottle look real.  The same goes for pouring the drinks.  The animation of the liquid was smooth and flawless and it was obvious that the creators had done a lot of observation on how liquid would pour.  In the end, the pairing of the prop and background art with that of the people was bizarre and felt like it didn't mesh.  I only wish that the people had been animated better so I could give this a higher score.

Sound: The music was actually pretty good.  I loved the opening and ending themes. They were catchy but also caught the laid back nature of the show.  The music in the anime scenes itself was alright but I will admit that I didn't notice it much.  I would say that the music was well done but nothing I would rave about.

Characters:  Don't get me started.  Sasakura could have been such an interesting character if he had been developed more.  I don't think that he needed more of a backstory than we got but I felt like his personality should have been developed more in the moment.  His attitude seemed to stay on one level throughout the entire show.  He almost didn't feel human.  It got to the point when my friend and I thought he was an alien who had come to earth to learn the ways of humans.  The rest of the characters were just as two dimensional.  The creators obviously developed one level of "deepness" for every character in order to give all of them a problem that the Bartender needed to help them solve.  There weren't any characters in this show that I would believe for a moment.

I wouldn't recommend this anime to anyone.  There were good aspects to it but I didn't feel that the good parts outweighed the bad.  Unfortunately, Bartender was a letdown.

4.5/10 overall
roriconfan's avatar By roriconfan on Apr 8, 2012

Bartender is a fine example of a show which is driven by its premise and nothing else to back it up.
*lifts bottle*
As long as you fancy the basic formula of how each episode plays out, you will get one hell of a series. If on the other hand you expect something more… mainstream should I say? With action, plot, plot twists, development, and a powerful ending, then DON’T EVEN BOTHER!

The story is quite the simple one. There is this fancy bar where people go and tell their life’s problem to the barman. The barman listens to them and after a cool metaphor regarding different types of liquors from around the world, and how combining them into a specific cocktail creates a very specific flavor, the customers feel refreshed and may even reach to important revelations regarding their issues.
*hic!*

As cool as all this sounds, it is a completely episodic show and it is basically the metaphors that matter and not the actual issues the customers may have. To be honest, I hardly cared how cruel their lives are, how bad is their boss or how unfaithful is their wife. All I cared about was seeing the barman doing his weird allegories and mentioning the historical facts behind some drinks and then combining them into a super elixir of sorts that produces a flavor akin to the needs of the customer.
*hic!*
Each episode has a very linear and simple plot which is made to look fancy because it is filled with lots of allegories.

It is very thrilling the way I describe it and definitely eons more mature than most anime out there.
*stares at an ugly woman who now looks gorgeous*
At the same time though… it is not what most people would call entertaining. Since each episode follows the same pattern without deviating or evolving past its initial form, it eventually feels duller with each episode. The premise is great for the first three cases but after that the excitement simply starts to wear off and you are now staring at a formulaic show with predictable outcome.
*bottoms up*

Do you remember how each episode of Pokemon was following pretty much the same pattern? Well, despite being a very immature show for little kids, most of the times it would have something new for the viewer to take notice. They would go to different cities, meet different trainers, fight different critters, and even Team Rocket would occasionally change its punchlines and role in the show. Plus there was action; simplistic one but definitely something regarding energy beams and things blowing up. Bartender does not have this sort of variety and this is basically what makes it boring past a few episodes for most. It is always the same place, always the same rhetorical questioning, and always the same conclusion, without any action or even much of motion in general. The whole premise is driven through people sitting still, looking all gloomy, and talking all emo about something. Hardly as exciting as watching a bunch of high-spirited kids fighting with weird creatures popping out of spheres.
*Whiskey on the rocks, I choose you*

Although Bartender also has to do with lifting spirits through … spirits (the drinking kind)
*hic!*
and despite being very mature and interesting as a premise, this is not the reason most people are watching anime for. If they wanted enlightment, they would read a philosophical book or join some religion. They would NOT watch an anime, which its main objective as a medium is entertainment. Making the audience think and wiser is a great bonus but it is not enough by itself; it also needs to be EXCITING! And Bartender lacks that completely.

Sure, we could say that the show is directed at a very mature audience who has aged significantly and no longer looks for excitement but rather for insight and maturity. To those kinds of people Bartender would appear as a holy book or something. So speaking of books let me drift off a bit and make an allegory of my own based on the same subject.
*hallucination mode on*
Although there is no other anime like this one, there are lots of books that attempt to combine a story with a philosophical quest. I have read some myself, the most vivid examples I choose to mention is The Shack by William P. Young, and The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Both are revered as books that have given insight to several philosophical questions and there are thousands of people who have them as their favorites. At the same time, watching these books from afar you easily tell how they can usually be very pretentious, with bad storytelling, nonsense events, and eventually shallow philosophy that is forced upon the mind of the ignorant and unsuspected reader. Again, they are interesting but are not realistic, or THAT smart to begin with. At the same time, The Shack is basically a guy making questions in some hut and having the Holy Trinity answering them, while The Alchemist is about a guy traveling to many exotic places, having lots of adventures and even using mystical powers at times. Context aside, the later book is ten times more interesting to follow because SOMETHING HAPPENS! So back to Bartender, NOTHING HAPPENS!
*smoothies suck*

By nothing, I am of course referring to some motion, other than mouths flapping and glasses being filled with more booze. Seeing the show from afar is basically staring at a bunch of drunkards in a bar, talking all emo in front of a cool bartender. ALL THE TIME AND IN ALL EPISODES!
*hic!*
Do you know how easy it is to get bored with all that? Or do you know how eventually the characters become nothing but plot elements that are forgotten as soon as the episode is over? Instead of caring about them as characters, the customers end up being nothing but ephemeral excuses for the bartender to start blabbering about booze.
*hic!*
Cool stories I admit, but nothing of interest around THE CHARACTERS! Do you know how stupid it looks to care more about some fancy allegory than the tragic life of the character? Essentially, there are NO CHARACTERS in the show; just excuses for fancy allegories. Not even the barman is a character since he just talks about stuff and we never get to know anything about him … other than being the Buddha of alcohol, offering his wisdom to the tired customers that is.
*burp!*
WHO WOULD WANT TO WATCH A SHOW WITHOUT CHARACTERS? This is closer to a documentary than a series. And for its medium, it’s bad. And this is again the difference between The Shack (which had a passive protagonist who was just making questions) and The Alchemist (who had an active protagonist, doing stuff all over the world).

Let me make another example, this time regarding anime. If you have watched a few comedies made by studio SHAFT (Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, Arakawa Under The Bridge, Maria Holic) you will have easily figured out that there isn’t any story or characters in them either. All their comedies are episodic, lacking development entirely, and the cast is nothing but eccentric caricatures defined by a few repeating punch lines and mannerisms. At the same time, there are many cinematics in each episode, combined with wordplays and fan service, usually leading to some criticism regarding society and stereotypes, making them far more pleasing to watch. There is motion, there is emotion, there is crazy camera scrolling, there is criticism, and there is pantsu. ENTERTAINMENT! Bartender doesn’t have that; it’s just people talking while sitting down in a room and drinking!
*hic!*

Of course all the above are generalizing the show. It is still very good if one with proper mindset gets to watch it. It is not a lie if you read other reviews and comments regarding this show; they all say it is a very special show for a very specific audience, which makes it very hard to be appreciated by the majority of the anime fans. This does not make it a bad series. In fact, if we talk about production values, Bartender is great in overall.
*the song “What A Wonderful World” plays in the old pick-up*
The artwork is amazingly realistic for an anime show. You watch an episode and get the urge to go buy yourself some Gin&Tonic. I mean just look at those bottles! They are so amazingly drawn! The sound of liquor pouring in the glass, the ice melting in the glass, the soft music playing in the bar, the low lightning, the mesmerizing voice of the barman, YOU JUST WANNA TURN DRUNKARD AT THAT SECOND! Do you know the tag called Gar? (Gay for Archer). Well this show gets the tag Drub (Drunkard for Bartender).
*chin-chin!*
It is THAT successful in terms of atmosphere; it just sucks you in! … Of course chances are you will be bored and ask to pull out after a few episodes because the formula becomes boring but the show is still successful in its initial impressions and overall directing.
*hangover*

So in all, I find this show to be VERY SPECIAL and HIGHLY CAPTIVATING IN THE BEGINNING but also NON-EVOLVING and eventually BORING FOR MOST PEOPLE. If you like it or not, it’s up to you. I warned you about it as best as I could.
*puts eggs in a blender*

An-t nau f’r sum sc’ringhmf… *voice muffled because of alcohol overdose*

ART SECTION: 8/10
Analysis: General Artwork 2/2, Character Figures 1/2, Backgrounds 2/2, Animation 1/2, Visual Effects 2/2

SOUND SECTION: 8/10
Analysis: Voice Acting 2/3, Music Themes 3/4, Sound Effects 3/3

STORY SECTION: 7/10
Analysis: Premise 2/2, Pacing 1/2, Complexity 1/2, Plausibility 2/2, Conclusion 1/2

CHARACTER SECTION: 3/10
Analysis: Presence 0/2, Personality 0/2, Backdrop 1/2, Development 1/2, Catharsis 1/2

VALUE SECTION: 4/10
Analysis: Historical Value 0/3, Rewatchability 0/3, Memorability 4/4

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 4/10

SUGGESTION LIST
Time of Eve
Kuuchu Buranko

p.s. Can someone tell me what was I doing last night and ended up waking up in a bed shared with a very ugly woman?

5.5/10 overall