Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu: Matsuri

Thrawn's avatar By Thrawn on Apr 3, 2011

Baka to Test; it may be stupid but it's at the point of being stupidly fun without moving into annoying and this OVA is no different. As the synopsis states, it's an adaptation of the Festival arc in the manga. It's recommended that one watches the first season before watching the OVA as to not miss out on some of the references to events seen in the first season. You don't have to, as this is simple minded fun and can be enjoyed without knowing what happened before (And that the first season was pretty episodic at times). But it's recommended nonetheless as it would be a shame to miss out on the fun of season one.

Not much can be said about the story, as all you need is in the synopsis. It aims to be an adaptation of the manga festival arc and it does just that. It has the beginning of the festival, the festival itself, the twist, the solution and a conclusion to it all without leaving any loose ends. It works, simple as that. And it's not only simple, but it's fun. As usual, it provides laughs and without mixing and matching character traits to make it non-canon. You may not laugh at everything but I sure did. It's stupid but it aims to do what it does best and with an actual plot.

The animation looks the same, yet better. I guess they kept the look and polished it up without losing the charm of it all, or the good looking crossdressing. The show does that stuff so well, be it with chinese dresses or maid outfits; it's amazing.

Awkward...

Ahem. Sound is as good as before and the music is oddly enjoyable. Not to everybody's taste but it suits it. Kinda nonsensical but fun.

It doesn't aim to add depth to the characters but it works to make them fun to watch.

Quite simply, if you enjoyed the first season of Baka to Test, you'll enjoy this and it'll help tide you over for the second season wait. If you enjoy comedy, check out the first season and return to this. Once again, this is an adaptation for the festival. Nothing more than that and that's how I primarily graded it; an extension to the main series and not as a stand-alone work.

8.5/10 animation
8.7/10 overall
FullmetalCowboy24's avatar By FullmetalCowboy24 on Aug 19, 2013

Critic’s Log - Earthdate: August 19, 2013. Supplemental Review: Baka and Test - Summon The Beasts OVA

The first season of Baka and Test - Summon The Beasts was my 43rd Review. I really slacked off this time. I somehow overlooked that there was an OVA attached to Baka and Test and since the OVA is not that long. I took the time to go over the OVA of Baka and Test. Which I am about to do now.

Here goes...

Continuing where the first season left off, everyone in Class F is bemoaning the horrible equipment they have. However, There is a school festival going on, and if they make enough money... they'll be able to buy better school supplies, and as always Akihisa is ready to do anything that might help out Himeji. This is important though, because Himeji's father is worried about her placement in Class F and is thinking about transferring her to another school.

To be technical, this is a Silver Link production and the animation is ok for the most part.  It’s nice looking for an OVA. That’s all I can say about the animation really.

The music is done by Nijine and the music is not something to write home about. It’s not a memorable soundtrack. I don’t know what else to say about the soundtrack.

When it comes to voice acting, the Japanese cast is decent enough for the show. I did comment that the English dub was not too special back when I reviewed the first season of Baka and Test. I could also say that the dub could have been better. Just go with what you prefer.

As far as characters go, Don’t expect character development in this portion of the show because this is an OVA after all. Character development gets a pass this time. But they are essentially the same as they were as Season 1 and the characters are decent I guess.

When it comes to story, well...the OVA’s only two episodes long and lasts an hour. There’s nothing much to say about the plot of this OVA. it’s ok I guess. Since this OVA is short, so will this review.

Baka and Test - Summon The Beasts OVA is available by Funimation.

With all that said, the OVA of Baka and Test is a short addition to the first season. The animation is ok, but the music and story aren’t something worth writing home about. It’s just a decent addition to Baka and Test.

I give the Baka and Test OVA a 6 out of 10, it is DECENT!

Feel free to leave a comment, and have a good day.