Azumanga Web Daioh

thesonicfan21's avatar By thesonicfan21 on Dec 29, 2010

O.K., Azumanga Web Daioh? WTF? This is about Chiyo-chan, a child prodigy who brings her camera to school just for fun and for NOTHING?!

Story: The story was just plain wrong. I can understand that this is supposed to be the start of the series, but while the series was a really good show, this is a very disappointing OVA. It has Chiyo-chan, mostly about her and the school kids (very good), but then it switches from being anime-like to video-game-like and then realism. WTF?

Animation: The animation was horrible. Like I said, the characters do silly things that aren't that funny and can make you laugh for fun. First of all, the setting is always changing everywhere like I said in the above post and then second of all, the characters act weird like it is flash animated.

Sound: Well, I haven't seen the dubbed version, but the Japanese version was silly and not as heart-warming as it was with the show. There are absoloutely no music and it just seems like YOU'RE filming the special and not the kids.

Characters: While they are the same like the one in the original anime, I always disliked Chiyo-chan the first few episodes she was in. She really got on my nerves especially when she's excited and she's very talkative. In fact, the characters weren't in-character, it seemed like Chiyo was just a loner as much as the other high-school girls

Overall: 1.0 This was a very disappointing start. If you're looking to watch Azumanga Daioh, just skip the Web camera one and go to the anime, where the fun begins.

1.2/10 animation
1.1/10 sound
angelsreviews's avatar By angelsreviews on Jul 14, 2013

While this really was cute and all, it really needed to be longer because I really did want more. The storyline was cute in that it was about a video time capsule and introduced almost all the main characters from the anime show. It was a great bit to see the different personalities of the characters in their more basic form. Some you really didn’t get everything that made them who they were but it was interesting enough that you may want to see the anime after this.

The art style is very basic compared to its anime counterpart and yet since it was mostly in ‘first person filmed’ mode, it didn’t feel to lacking. The jarring of the camera and the strange art styles they used once in a while was explained based on the camera settings and how the person holding it moved.

The voices were cute, and though it was not dubbed like I would normally like to watch, the voices were not making my ears bleed. They were cute and fit the personalities of the characters pretty well. I’m not sure if the voice actors were the ones that did the Japanese dub of the anime but I really did like them.