Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror

Alt titles: Ayakashi - Samurai Horror Tales

sothis's avatar By on Jul 25, 2006

Oh boy... anything in the horror genre, let alone something that blatantly has "horror" in the title, is a must see for sothis. Luckily, with Ayakashi, it wasn’t a disappointment.

Ayakashi, in the same vein as Memories or Cockpit, is a collection of three unrelated stories that all fit into a certain genre; in this case, horror. Though the title boasts "traditional Japanese horror", only the first of the three tales is based on a real Japanese horror story. They are, however, told in a traditional narration style and draw thematic elements from Japanese horror stories. It’s hard to review something which has three very separate stories, so I’ll break down each section by story.

The first tale tells the story of Oiwa, a legend in Japan (and was a real person). Though virtuous and good-hearted, her husband Iemon is bored with her and ends up betraying her; but not until Oiwa is horrendously scarred due to malevolent interventions. The narration tells of her eventual death and cursing of anyone who treated her unkindly. Out of the three stories, this one was probably my least favorite; but, I still enjoyed it. It is four episodes long and the pacing is definitely a bit slow. Though the overall story ends up being dark and satisfying, it does take quite a long time (and quite a lot of patience) to see it through. People just starting out with Ayakashi might be bored and drop the series completely; in my opinion this would be a mistake. In general though, a nice dark tale of revenge, and I was glad to see historical elements (that are still based in legend in Japan) as well.

The second tale is about a young man and a forgotten god (well, goddess) who fall in love. I enjoyed this arc quite a bit, as it is a little (but not much) more upbeat, has a happier ending, and is gorgeous in the animation department. Though also four episodes in length, I thought the pacing was far more appropriate and kept my attention the whole way through. Like the first tale, this one ends up being quite dark and involves a great deal of death; but hey, what’s a good horror series without some good old fashioned death?

The third tale is definitely the clear winner of the "most messed up story this year" award. It tells of an evil spirit who is haunting a certain family, and only a medicine seller can help shield them from its wrath. In my opinion other sites spoil this arc in their basic descriptions of the series. So, just keep in mind that this arc is about an evil spirit, period. It was this arc that caused a friend to recommend me to watch the series. At first, I was very skeptical, as episode 9 (the first episode of this arc) is a little strange. Combine that with very odd animation and a very unusual way of telling the story, and you risk losing the viewer for a number of reasons. Luckily, episode 10 quickly turns from so-so to completely badass, and it’s all downhill from there. The story is shocking and dark, and has the most impact. I highly enjoyed this arc, and would recommend it for fans of Hundred Stories or Mermaid’s Forest (if you’ve seen this and agree, go on and make recommendations in the database!). A word of caution: if you are watching the fansubs, GG’s version, at the time of this review there is a major translation error in the third arc which in my opinion ruins the viewing of that arc (I was confused the whole time until the error was pointed out to me). For more information check out the FQC section in the forum.
As with the story, each story has its own animation style. The first story’s animation, like the plot, is probably the least impressive. Though gorgeous, especially in the scenery shots with falling snow or sunsets, the rough-looking character designs gave it an older feel which clashed a little with the gorgeous backdrops. The second arc is absolutely stunning with brilliant pastels and pretty (both male and female) characters. The depiction of the forgotten gods’ transformations was very well done. 100% satisfied with its animation. The third story has very... bizarre animation. Imagine Gankutsou, but a lot more abstract. The entire series of episodes is filled with odd camera angles and different ways of "filming" it. It really is an experience to watch, especially once the demon comes into play. Unique and interesting, just a little hard to get into at first.

One additional thing I wanted to point out is that in the first arc, real video footage is mixed with animation. This, for the most part, was only in the historical scenes where the narrator was explaining how the legend of Oiwa is still around in today’s society.
The music definitely lives up to the "classic" adjective in the series’ title. With the exception of the intro song (which is an odd mix of traditional sounds and rap), all of the music sounds very traditional and fits well with the stories. The outro, unlike the intro, also sounds very traditional. All of the seiyuu did a good job with their parts. Not much to complain about here.
In all three stories, the characters are wonderfully developed (especially the first two stories). We are truly shown the dark side of humanity, and the corrupt characters show off this point nicely. The third arc is the most marginal for character development, mostly because only a few of the characters are introduced in detail (and we are left with a lot of unknown information). My favorite characters were probably the forgotten gods with their transformations from beautiful women to scary demons.
Not quite an 8, Ayakashi overall delivers what it advertises: horror. If I was rating this score on story 3 alone, it would probably be higher. Nevertheless, each of these tales is dark and interesting, and will appeal to fans of horror. Folks who enjoy traditional music as well, or want to see a real life legend, will also enjoy Ayakashi. All I’d suggest is if you are bored with the first arc, fast forward to episode 5. Each story is completely separate so you won’t be missing out on anything special, and you might find the other two stories more up your alley. Why, then, did I rate this a 7.8 when all the above scores are over 8? Though it’s a good series, it definitely didn’t capture my attention enough (except story 3) to warrant a higher score. It’s good, don’t get me wrong, but it’s no Mermaid’s Forest or Hundred Stories. Still, a nice and recent horror series that I enjoyed watching; maybe you will too.
8.5/10 animation
8.5/10 characters
7.8/10 overall
Sianeka's avatar By on Dec 25, 2013

Posting this review as part of my Secret Santa 2013 participation.  Preliminary:  Very rough notes.  This is not my final review but rather some observations made while watching this.  I'll be back soon to clean this up and finalize the review presentation. =)

Music was especially good and fit well within the stories. OP was rap-infused with traditional Japanese instrumentation; nice/fresh. ED was traditional ballad, sounds very Japanese and melancholy in tone. Animation was different for each story arc, but felt choppy and less smooth overall than it could be. 1st story was pale and dark and effects understated and not creepy enough. 2nd story had some very choppy and non-flowing character movement, but nice colorations and character designs. 3rd story very Gankutsuou, with backgrounds blending into characters or characters blending into the texture and patterns of the background. Odd facial animation (Kayou's mouth when screaming, for example or moving color-changing tattoos on Medicine Seller's face). 1.Slower pace, lots of narrator intervention (story told through his eyes as well as through the anime, so being told it twice). Iemon's motivations not explored, however.  Why he does all he does is still questionable. 2. Story of forbidden love, main guy is just not detailed enough; main focus is on Forbidden Goddess Tamahime (?) ( ADD ALL CHARACTERS FROM FORGOTTEN GODS ARC) Not a real horror story, just a star-crossed lovers story with tragic elements. 3. Odd style both in animation and plot relation; it unfolds as it goes along and as the Medicine Seller peels away layers to get at the Form, Truth and Reason (Regret) that causes the demon in order to unsheathe his sword to slay it, we start to find out/uncover what the story is. Unusual.

angelsreviews's avatar By on Jul 14, 2013

This is much like Osamu Tezuka’s Phoenix in that there are different stories in this but unlike the Phoenix, there is not one little thing that keeps the stories connected. They are just simple ghost stories although I don’t know if you would sit around a camp fire and talk about. They are not so much horror stories, as more stories of caution against different things. They seem to have a story that has a lesson at the end.
The first story is a sweet story about forbidden love and fallen gods. I’m not so sure why they have the stupid little spirits that keep laughing. It just seems like a waste to have characters there that are only for comedic affect The story doesn’t need it and they have no purpose in the story that I can see. The story without them is rather beautiful, and the language they use is so high class old Japanese that it has a ring of sophistication in it. The art style is rather nicely done, looking mostly like it was done in this year then 2006. It has gentle lines and the only time it really lacks is when the characters are far away making them look so less detailed. Sometimes they even become blobs of color alone. Music is rather nice, a hunting tone that sets the mood. English voices are pretty well done. Again, not so interested in the crazy spirits that they bring in for comedy. Tomi’s voice is rather nice and pretty much perfect for the character.

The second starts interesting with a narrator, supposedly Nanboku telling the play he wrote, calling it the most chilling he had ever written. I’m not sure exactly if it’s chilling or not because the anime version seems a little lacking in the horror. The only thing that makes it any chilling is the fact that he says he was compelled to write it. Ya, real frightening. Unfortunately, the narration breaks whatever tension the story did have and so kills the mood it needed. The artwork is rather odd, showing the characters eyes rather squinted and turned up. It is almost super realistic in a way but then also turned to be cartoonish. It’s not a style I admittedly would like. Sometimes, the characters are also twisted into strange poses and the necks look almost broken. It’s a little two odd for me and I guess it did give me chills on that account. Music is pretty much same as the first one.

The third story feels more like a group of opening episodes for a new series called Mononoke. The story follows a medicine peddler who destroys evil spirits but we never get any information about his background or anything about him for any of it. For all we know, he is a spirit himself. The artwork is somewhat interesting, almost a wallpaper or drawn on a piece of parchment like charactering. The faces are well detailed and almost surreal in a way. The characters voices are really nice and though the English voice of the medicine peddler is different then the Japanese, it gives him a little bit more of a sexy voice. I don’t really know if it’s a good thing exactly because it did not have enough time to rub on me although it did not bother me ether. They also make him talk a little more then the Japanese version. Andrew Francis actually made me think he was Crispin Freeman when I first heard him. It was rather good and I would love to hear him more often then the small parts he seems to be getting. Music is like the others, although it brings in some from the Mononoke series to give it a flavor of its own.

The opening of each is really nice,  giving the spirit of how old the show is, though gave it also a rap feeling that felt more like it would fit in this timeframe instead of the Endo period. The artwork is rather interesting, changing depending on the show and it always seemed to be the concept art for the characters. The finished pieces with some moving across the frame. It made it feel like the show was really coming from the pages of a book and becoming life.

Apollocake's avatar By on Oct 28, 2011

I stepped into this series with the false expectation that it should be similar to the off-shoot series derived from it, Mononoke. Oh, how two-thirds wrong I was! Er, a better explanation is that only the last story of three separate stories is related to the Mononoke counterpart. If you are a fan of Mononoke, I suggest starting at that story arc and going backwards after finishing each arc, or perhaps only watching the last arc, simply because most reviewers, including myself, agree that the stories are arranged worst to best.

The first story sets the bar pretty damn high (or low), with one of the opening lines being, "There has yet to be a movie so horrible, the audience regrets going to see it." If I can take that out of context for a second, I have seen many horrible movies which I regret seeing, but obviously this was hinting towards things like Hostel or Human Centipede, right? This somewhat pretentious phrase, coupled with other reviews and comments that were saying how disturbing this series was (or gave them nightmares), couldn't have possibly hyped up this series any more for me. I was ready to have my pants scared off.

Yotsuya Kaidan (ep 1-4)

Story 5.0

However, this mindset was especially wrong for the first arc. The story is super slow in its pacing, not because nothing was happening, but because the narrator, who is the writer of a Kabuki play(this story), is presented at the introduction and end of every episode- in effect, killing any inertia created from the last episode. This equates to watching one episode of the Twilight Zone broken up into multiple episodes, with a narrator giving his pseudo-philosophical musings after every commercial break. There is even an epilogue, which our narrator expounds upon how every showing of this play is cursed, because the performers are hurt in strange accidents and such. While I found this very interesting, it felt like it was tacked on to the end of the first arc.

The major problem here is that it's just not scary. It's spooky, creepy, or slightly unnerving. If you think campfire stories are scary, you might enjoy this a lot- if you have the patience. The thing is it is a good story. It's just really dated. It could have used a major update or overhaul, but instead feels like a traditional retelling of an old folk tale.

Characters 3.0

The characters themselves are nothing special. This is based on a play after all. They fulfill their various roles, in a bland Shakespearian style. Unfortunately, it also fails to draw the audience in, because there is little to no emotion in even the most evil character. This, coupled with the fact that there are hardly any real motives going on here, make watching this an unnecessary alienating experience. Why was the husband so evil? How did he self-justify his terrible actions? Why does he have no guilt? Answering these questions would have brought some life into this flat, dated, Kabuki drama. Especially, since he is the character you see in most of the story (aside from that pesky narrator).

Sound 4.0

Just like the story: spooky not scary. The music is done well enough. Nothing gave me "the chills". Nothing outstanding or particularly deplorable here. (I'm not talking about the awesome openings).

Animation 6.0

It's not bad, but as I said earlier, I was expecting Mononoke-esque. It's fairly well done, but I just have one beef. The main ghost of the series face is supposed to be deformed(=ugly), and characters react to it like it's the most disturbing thing ever, but it looks like a flat-2d purple bokeh/watercolor piece super imposed onto the ghost's face.

Tenshu Monogatari (ep 5-8)

Story 8.0

The second story was a nice surprise after the lackluster first. While nothing groundbreaking was happening, fortunately there was no stodgy narrator to break up the flow of the episodes. It is basically a love story of forbidden love mixed with the tale of sirens or "women" who feed on the flesh of men. More specifically, this is also not a scary story, but I do feel like what it sets out to do, it accomplishes very well.

What does it set out to do? It's definitely creepy at first, but in the end you'll see that this is a romantic love story. As I said, it's about forbidden love, but also how much is sacrificed for it. I can honestly say that this has A LOT of Shakespearian quality to the story, but the flavor is definitely Japanese. I would also like to add the main characters probably won't die in the end.

Characters 7.0

All of the main characters, seem to have a moment where they weigh their options for some reason or another, and we really feel like they are propelling the story along when they actually choose to act. We also know their motives, and that they don't necessarily hurt the one they love on purpose, and some actions like love, for instance, can also be quite destructive. You will believe that they did not intend the worst to happen, and at the same time realize and empathize with the selfish acts of love that have caused it to happen.

I would have liked to see more inner struggle in the male lead, because he seems that he doesn't love his wife that much. Or does he? I feel like this could have been touched upon and wasn't. He just leaves her. No conflict.  Just an inkling of regret that was washed away eventually would have been enough.

Sound 7.0

Fairly subdued but like the first. There are no more cheesy ghost howls this time around, though.

Animation 7.0

This time the animation is slightly different from the first story. There are more wild and creative character designs. Again, nothing like Mononoke, but I would say this rates somewhere between the first and the third story for the much needed reaction shots that weren't in the first. For example, there is a corrupt official who kills a female servant and then we immediately see his two generals grimace at each other in fear and disapproval. This kind of characterization in the animation was missing in the first.

Bake Neko (ep 9-11)

Story 10

This is Mononoke! The story of this arc is much more moody, mysterious, and violent. Our main character, the medicine seller, is an enigmatic exorcist who monitors a family and waits for the demon to show its Form, Truth, and Regret, by which it can be slain. The Form, Truth, and Regret is revealed usually by the characters or perpetrators themselves after they've had enough torture from the demon's constant barrage of hallucinations, flashbacks, and intimidation.

There is definitely enough dank and blackness in the story to disturb you a little. Once it comes to its true, ugly conclusion, you will be questioning how humans can do such horrible things. And that is exactly what I want in a horror tale. The monsters surrounding us are much more scarier than a demon.

Characters 9

The medicine seller himself is quite aloof and nonchalant compared to the other characters who go about screaming and running from visions and haunts. In short, he is our anchor to reality, while the other characters go about insanely accusing each other or not revealing some terrible reality until the end. You can definitely see and hear the characters anguish; there is some very deep characterization in the animation of the characters and the voice actors.

Sound 10

Creaks. Groans. Sliding door shuts. All of these effects is used to upmost effect because of the mutation of audio through high quality warping and tweaking. That and the abruptness of these sound effects creates an uncertainty of what will happen next. A lot of the cat sounds, work as a very effective allusion to the demon while serving as a foreshadowing device as well. The characters voices seem to be modeled after the caricature design of the characters faces, giving each a distinctive and colorful feel.

Animation 10

The first thing that comes to mind when having to describe the animation in this story is Katamari Damacy. A very devilish Katamari Damacy. The colors are vibrant and allude very strongly to watercolor. If this wasn't arty enough, they are overlaid with a watercolor or "wet" paper effect, making each scene look as if it was taken from someone's easel. As I mentioned before, the characters themselves have a caricature-esque look to them (also reminding me of Katamari Damacy) and juxtapose well with the high use of color. It also makes it very bearable to sit though the more disturbing parts without feeling too sickened, and quite pleasant to look at- if in a twisted way. It looks to be very high quality behind the paper filter, but I can't say whether it's technically impressive. It is very well colored, original, and fresh.

Overall 7

I think it's quite odd to organize a collection from worst to best, and I would recommend only the last two, if your short on time. An important point is that even though the last story is not in the Mononoke series, it is the most disturbing compared to the entire Mononoke series. it's the also the only one (including Mononoke) that made me cry from how sad it was as well. The last story just really digs into your emotions and doesn't let go and wrenches all of them out at the end with some good storytelling.

MordredMS's avatar By on Oct 22, 2011

Japanese folklore and Shintō beliefs have always been populated with the most various multitude of spirits, which in turn populated Japanese horror tales. This anime series is an anthology of three such stories set in Edo-period Japan: two adapted from classical Kabuki theatre plays, and an original one.

STORY: 6.5/10
The first, adapted from the influential Yotsuya Kaidan play, is the tale of a young woman named Oiwa, who, abandoned and betrayed by the one she loved, becomes an Onryō (vengeful spirit) and casts an everlasting course on all who wronged her. This part of the anime was written by Konaka Chiaki of Digimon Tamers and Lain fame, so it’s not surprising that, while never terrifying, this story manages to be very disturbing in some scenes, and quite involving throughout thanks to its characters. The plot is never complex, but some of its developments and the way it’s told actually have the “feel” of a theatre play, of a Greek tragedy even, so it can be enjoyable and interesting as such. A through-the-fourth-wall finale adds another touch by explaining real-life folk tales about Oiwa’s story, for example that it’s "Japan’s Macbeth" (the play itself is considered cursed as many people died during the production of stage performances and film adaptations of it and….well, I think it’s interesting!).

The second, an adaptation of the Tenshu monogatari, is the story of two star-crossed lovers (a human and the princess of a castle of forgotten gods) which evolves into something of a Shakespearean tragedy. I consider this one to be the weakest of the lot, because it provides nothing that could be considered horror and is the most unoriginal and seen-it-all-before, even for Edo-period standards. Still, I'm not saying it’s BAD: it’s actually decently interesting for what it has to offer, and the feel of a theatre play I described before is still there, but lacking as strong characters as the first it doesn’t manage to move the viewer, and being quite predictable it fails to leave a strong impression. I don’t deny that I might be saying this also out of my deep-rooted dislike for star-crossed lovers stories à la Romeo and Juliet, though.

The third, an original written for this anime by Nakamura Kenji and Yokote Michiko, is the tale of a malicious cat-demon (Bakeneko) who is haunting and murdering a family for unknown reasons, while a “medicine seller” tries to help them by discovering the spirit's story to exorcise it. This part is arguably the best of the series: the disturbing elements are present and mixed with a “detective story” feel, a lot of exciting action scenes, and a well-crafted and emotionally involving backstory for the origin of the bakeneko.

One recurring aspect of all three stories is that the real evil always comes from the human heart: it’s Oiwa’s spirit that causes all those terrifying deaths, but the horrible way she’s been betrayed by absurdly hateful people for nothing but greed makes the viewer actually feel sympathetic and even root for her; in Tenshu monogatari, it’s the jealousy of a woman and the arrogance of a daimyō that cause the tragedy; similarly, the most disturbing part of the Bakeneko story is actually the origin of the mononoke, to the point where such cruelty could make you think “Screw it, let it kill those bastards.” What must be really feared are men and their evil ways dictated by greed. As you can probably guess from this, most of the characters here are either flawed (in the Shakespearean sense of the term, yes I want to make people think I’m learned thank you very much) or plain evil.

We get characters like a greedy and arrogant samurai, a selfish and spoiled brat, a filthy lustful man, a falconer who abandons his wife (who’s gentle and good-spirited, but flawed by her jealousy), a princess with barely any consistent personality, the spiteful daimyō I described earlier, comedy relief characters, a varied family of samurai with a dark secret, and the medicine seller/demon hunter who’s simply plain freaking awesome and even quite original. As you can see, there’s no character of particular depth or originality, each is kind of “stock”, but the mix is well-balanced and well-orchestrated and genuinely “old-school tragedy" enough to work.

The first two arcs sport a standard but still decent art style, not shining in any aspect but a bit stiff and sloppy during the action sequences; in the third arc, though, it shifts to a very original style, characterised by a constant “filter” on the picture, seamless CGI in some shots, a more “cartoonish” and over-the-top character design, good action scenes and, I’ll add, beautifully designed interiors for the house of the samurai family. I realise, though, that this style can be disliked (I, for one, found the design of the secondary characters to be too “parodic”), but still its originality must be recognised and praised.

The soundtrack is the most lacking aspect of the series: it’s not bad mind you, I liked the fact that it sometimes uses Japanese instruments used in Kabuki theatre, and during the third arc it punctuates effectively the action scenes, but it doesn’t work as well during the other two arcs, failing, for example, to push the most disturbing scenes up the last step to “horrifying”. I wouldn’t have minded if the entire soundtrack to the first two arcs was made by a Kabuki orchestra! Plus it loses point for the opening credits song: it starts with shamisen melodies, only to turn into a freakin’ samurai rap. Now, I hate rap music, but even if I loved gansta stuff I would have found this song terribly out of place in a Edo-period ghost story, especially with such random lyrics. The ending song is a lot better, with a nice “folk” and almost Disney-ish atmosphere to it and a beautifully melancholic melody.

CAST: 8/10
The voice acting, on the other hand, is really good. Each of the large cast of characters is portrayed pretty solidly; only a few of them, though, really stand out. The first one to name would be Sakurai Takahiro (of Code Geass, Final Fantasy, Digimon Adventure and others fame) as the medicine seller, pulling off a calm, cool, witty and intense hero, and actually playing a big part in the character's charm; I was also surprised by the stunning performance of Koyama Mami as Oiwa, especially during the scene right before her death where she seriously gave me the creeps; Onosaka Masaya proves once more after his work in “Baccano!” as Isaac that he’s got what it takes to be a perfectly funny but never annoying comedy relief character; Shioya Kōzō’s voice as the daimyō Harima-no-kami Takeda is as disgustingly obnoxious as his character is (this means that he's good, of course!); finally, I’d give special mention also to Hirata Hiroaki (of One Piece fame) as the resident asshole of the first story, Iemon.

OVERALL: 6.9/10
While never truly scare-me-shitless terrifying or blow-me-off-my-chair awesome, Ayakashi provides a trio of decently fun stories, backed up by great voice acting, an interesting art style during the third arc, and the trigger of some reflection on what we should really consider “horrifying”. If you’re into Japanese literature and theatre I suggest you have a go at this, as the feeling of an actual theatre play is nicely kept; if you’re into the horror genre, again I suggest you watch this, even if you’re not going to need a spare pair of pants. Otherwise, it’s your call: it’s quite standard, but competently so, and even if it doesn’t leave a very strong impression it is in no way bad.