Attack on Titan: Junior High

Alt title: Shingeki! Kyojin Chuugakkou

Add review
Nerillinthas's avatar
Oct 31, 2015

This review is as of episode 5, my views may or may not change by the end of the series, if my opinon does change, so too will this review.

STORY

The story, while entertaining, is confusing at first, not a lot of detail goes into telling us what is happening in this school life version of AoT. Though I probably shouldn't expect a fully comprehensive story out of a parody, should I?

ANIMATION

The animation on this is downright exceptional considering this is just a short project to keep fans happy until season 2 is released. It is fluid and manages to capture the right moods in the right ways.

SOUND

They used music from the original series, which is nice, but the remake of the opening seems just a bit much, I understand that they are trying to capture a different mood with this series, but I would honestly prefer the opening to either be a new one, or to recycle the original opening music like they did for the rest of the soundtrack.

CHARACTERS

The characters are exactly what they should be for a middle school, school life anime. Cute, almost chibi type characters. They did a good job emphasizing the main feature of each characters personality. The only reason this did not get a 10/10 was because I did not appreciate how they made Armin. Something about the way they portrayed him just irritates me.

OVERALL

This anime highly reccomended by me. If you are a fan of the show, and have a sense of humor, this is perfect for filling in the time until season 2 of AoT is announced. I hope that this will continue after season 2 of AoT is finished. I would love to see how they address all the characters and all the development that takes place later in the show.

9.5/10 characters
8.3/10 overall
PurplePeopleEater's avatar
Jan 17, 2016

At first I thought this could be interesting and maybe a little funny. I watched several episodes until finally deciding I wasn't interested.

1. It is totally ridiculous

2. It's a nice idea and kind of funny but als boring and predictable

3. I probably would have quit the show sooner except there was so little to watch the fall season I was willing to try anything that seemed even slightly okay.

4. I couldn't get over the titans wanting lunches and kids being so uptight about losing their lunch. It just seems to ridiculous.

5. The contrast between the original story and this parody of it was too much. The riginal was too serious and dark and trying to adapt that story and make it a light hearted comedy abut high school kids and some super giant bullies who want to steal their lunches just feels like too much of a stretch.

6. I got a few good laughs but it wasn't enough to keep me coming back. I couldn't stay interested.

7. They should have just hurried up getting the second season out and not even bothered with this.

Athelstan's avatar
Oct 14, 2015

This is horribly amazing

That is all

It is both absolutely disgusting

And awe-inspiring

Magicknight94's avatar
Oct 5, 2015

For epiosde 1

I know it is a parody, but the setting is quite confusing. Are the Titan living together with human?

However, its jokes are very relaxing.

Good for a parody

Marvelous. Using the amazing music from the main series is just brilliant.

They introduce a lot of characters in the first episode, and even though I already watched the main series, I still struggle to remember all of them. Other than that, they are same as their main series counterparts.

BennieBear's avatar
Oct 20, 2016

I saw this and the first thing to pop into my head was 'Hell yeah! More Attack on Titan!' I knew pretty much right off the bat that is was going to be a parody, but I was fine with that.

Story-  5/10

Obviously, there isn't much of a linear story going here. I generally prefer shows with a proper story, especially in anime. But they did do parodies of some story lines and episodes of the original that I found hilarious. Although this did make certain things a bit too predictable, like when Eren fails at the 3D gear training thing and the succeeds. Since that already happened in the anime, this just felt like a bit of a rip off. Other than that, it wasn't bad.

Animation- 6/10

The chibis were pretty cute but the heads sometimes bothered me. The heads woils sometimes just look either way too big, even for a chibi, or just unnatural with the body. But a majority of the time, they were fine. Other than that, the animation looks really good.

Sound- 7/10

Honestly...don't remember much about the sound from AOT: Junior High. But people say that it's pretty much the same from the original, which was really good. I didn't really like the new version of Guren no Yumiya. Sounded like a Christmas song.

Characters- 4/10

A lot of the characters felt kinda different. I can't really explain what it is, but they just felt off. But the most obvious is Armin. Where did the whole 'must be warm' thing? It didn't make any sense to me.