Asobi ni Iku yo!

Alt titles: Cat Planet Cuties

Darksaber's avatar By Darksaber on Dec 10, 2010

This anime was an extremely pleasant surprise. I thought for sure it would be nothing but fanservice, and would have to stop after a few episodes from the underwear and boob-jiggling overload. Fortunately, I was very wrong.

The story is actually coherent, but strange. Cat-eared aliens with nearly identical DNA come to earth to establish diplomatic relations, and get undermined by a Dog-eared alien. Okay, sure. Then about 4 secret agencies pop up, all with their own agendas as to what to do with the new alien visitors. Okay. Then a cult pops up that revere the cat-eared aliens as gods... Yeah, okay, the story's all over the place, but it still ties together well enough.

The animation of the anime is excellent, along with the sound. The opening credits I watched for every single episode, even though I usually skip the opening after seeing it once. The amount of effort that went into some of the scenes, the effects, the framerate, everything about the visual aspects of the anime scream that there was plenty of hours devoted to making it look good.

The intro song was another reason I watched it every time. Catchy, upbeat, and fit the the feel of the anime. The background scores fit well the the scenes that were on screen, and the sound effects were also very appropriate. I don't think there was much room for improvement on the visual, or audio components of this anime.

The characters though, they were a bit on the bland side. Kio, the main character, was an average harem character with multiple girls fawning over him, but he's too dense to notice them. The main alien Eris was perky. Really, that was her defining characteristic. Manami and Aoi though actually had character to them. Both part of secret organizations, Aoi thinking herself unworthy of feeling anything for Kio because of her black-ops history, and Manami who thought she had lost her shot with Kio long ago. The rest of the cast were average, and/or underdeveloped. I do find it interesting that not a single alien on their ship was male, and either I missed it, or they never explained why.

In the end, I enjoyed this anime thoroughly. If you're looking for a light-hearted anime, that's fun, funny, and a joy to watch and listen to, I'd highly recommend it.

willingotaku's avatar By willingotaku on May 29, 2012

I don't write reviews very often, but when I do it is a policy of mine to write only for the series I love. I feel that if it wasn't worth watching, then it's not worth spending even more time writing about. I thoroughly enjoyed Cat Planet Cuties. Even my brother, who spends most of his time watching the action packed bad ass anime with tons of fighting said this was one of the best anime he had ever seen. So I think it's safe to say Cat Planet Cuties deserves some love. So without further ado, let's break this series down.

I'm pretty sure I don't have to tell you I didn't buy a series called Cat Planet Cuties for the story. However, to my surprise it actually offered a few decent plot points. In the beginning, a cat girl named Eris comes to Earth on a mission to start up galactic relations with Earth. She meets Kio, the lone male character around which sereis like this typically revolve. Eris decides to stay at his house for a while, and so Kio's house becomes the Embassy for her people. Manami and Aoi, two human girls who know Kio, become involved in the story and offer their special skills as well. The first few episodes are mostly just fan-service and wild antics with minor plot points thrown in to tie it together. A few secret organizations pop up to cause problems for the Catian race and cause some chaos. Near the end of the series however, the evil dog aliens known as Dogisians start to mobilize and there were a few times I even wondered if the series might involve the death of a few characters. The action is limited, but it's a nice way to break up the constant fan service of the curvacious kitties and the sexy secret ops Earth girls. If you're looking for a series with lots of heavy action and fighting, or a storyline that is deep and involving that you can immerse yourself in, you won't find it here. In fact, if that's what you're looking for, I'm pretty sre you're not even reading this review. On the other hand, if you're looking for a fun and light-hearted series with lots of fan service and a little intergalactic warfare and secret organizations with guns here and there to break up the sexiness, Cat Planet Cuties is at least worth checking out an episode or two.

There are some anime I watch while I'm reading a book or something. Those series that are easy to watch and understand without actually looking at the screen. Usually I do this with series like Bleach. Cat Planet Cuties is not one of those series. Despite the lack of a dedicated story that you can follow, there is always something on screen to catch your eye. The girls are cute, the antics are fun, and the fan service is presented without too much bouncing and jiggling to make it seem like they're trying too hard. Sure the series is essentially eye candy, but they could have gone a lot farther and more outrageous with the cat girl fetish, considering how many otaku would probably go for it. The series provides plenty of cute 2D girls to look at, but they're not shoved in your face.

Anime like Cat Planet Cuties usually depend on the characters and the visuals to keep it interesting. But the sound was pretty good. The opening and ending songs were pretty catchy. Not fantastic, but still pretty good, and I'll probably download them if I can find them somewhere. The voice work was well done, and there's some good explosions and gunfire to keep you watching when you begin to tire of the voluptuously sexy heroines losing their clothes every time an anti-matter bullet is fired.

This is probably the most important element of any anime, especially a good ecchi series. If you don't care about the characters, chances are good you're not going to keep watching. There are plenty of characters to love in CPC. Some cat girls, some humans, some well-endowed, some a little bit flatter than others, some with guns, some wihtout. Some are shy and quiet, some are loud and violent, others are mart, or sweet, etc. Whatever your preference, I'm sure you'll find a character to your liking. The ladies of Cat Planet Cuties are as entertaining to watch with their clothes on as they are in full fan servive mode. We have CIA agents, secret ops girls, alien cat girls, and more. Of course the girls aren't the only characters in the shiow. Kio is important too. He even sees his share of combat and rescue missions. He is by no means the typical "hopeless loser" of these kinds of anime. The assistroids are absolutely adorable and cool, and I wish I had one for myself. Even the background characters are pretty entertaining when they get some screentime. I kinda wish Yuuichi had shown up more.

Overall

Having read a few of the other reviews on this anime, the consensus seems to be that this anime offers nothing new in an age of ecchi anime. That the story is basically non-existant and the characters are predictable. I suppose that's one way of looking at it. It's true to a certain extent. But you could say the same thing about almost anything. Isn't every Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros. game basically the same thing? Yet we keep supporting those after 20-something years. If you're reading a review about an anime called Cat Planet Cuties, you probably already know what to expect. Cat Planet Cuties probably won't blow you away or show you anyhting new you can't find in another similar anime. Even so, it's a title that offers a clear idea of what it presents to you and doesn't pretend to be anyhting else. You can't watch a series called Cat Planet Cuties expecting a deep and motivated storyline. Especially when it's only 12 episodes long with a bonus 30 minute OVA thrown in. You want action? This series isn't marketed towards you then, and it needs to be judged on what it tries to accomplish. CPC is good for a few laughs and some good ol' fashioned eye candy. It's a series you can pick up and watch anytime without having to remember what happened in the last episode. I enoy this series, and others like it. I hope you'll give it a chance and enjoy it as much as I did.

8.5/10 story
roriconfan's avatar By roriconfan on Apr 2, 2012

An anime with minimum effort to make a convincing story. The scriptwriter practically took all possible fetishes and threw them at your face, trying to make it look funny. And indeed, ANI is really a parody of anime sexual fetishes… and nothing else.

For starters, this anime did the mistake of airing in a time when such shows are all over the place. It is not special in any way; neither does it try to offer anything out of the ordinary. In fact, it hardly tries to be average. Even if it aims towards the usual target audience of males who still find 2D interesting, there is nothing in it that other shows around the same time weren’t offering in spades. So yeah, bad first impressions.

The prime fetish here is cat girls. You know; nekomimis and tails and stuff. Using that as a base, any other fetish is later add to spice things further. Which works for a few episodes, until the prime fetishes run out and the situation becomes far less exciting than when it began. Before I move along, I must point out that I find it hideous to like a girl with cat ears. Especially if she already has a set of normal ones and the cat-like ones are popping as extra from the top of the scull. Yuck!

STORY SECTION: 1/10
Analysis: Premise 1/2, Pacing 0/2, Complexity 0/2, Plausibility 0/2, Conclusion 0/2

First the story… If you are able to find one. It is about cat women coming to Earth to have fun and mess with the life of the Archetypical Loser TM; anything other than that is just smokescreen. There are supposed to be conspiracies and alien invasions every now and then, spies double crossing, mecha firing energy beams and huge spaceships blowing up. All of these are presented in the most simplistic and rushed way possible, just as filler for the real focus of the show, which are excuses to have cat girls doing sexual stuff.

To be honest, the premise of the story could lead to something really interesting if it was taken seriously. I mean, it is about aliens coming to study human life and have fun while at the same time preventing their technology from being abused by shadow organizations and protecting the planet from being destroyed by their arch-enemies. Yet all we see is oversexualized nekomimis indulging in all sorts of deprived fetishes because it is supposed to be learning about the human culture… which in the context of the series consists of nothing other than hentai magazines and cosplay shops. Seriously, WTF? I know it is a comedy which makes fun of otaku culture but it is doing it in such a blunt way, it is offending.

CHARACTER SECTION: 1/10
Analysis: Presence 0/2, Personality 0/2, Backdrop 1/2, Development 0/2, Catharsis 0/2

The lead male is the driest form of Indecisive Leads you can hope to never see again, yet unfortunately here he is again. I mean, seriously, the scriptwriters didn’t even bother to give him some quirk to at least look a bit different that all the rest of his brood. He is just a four-eyed nerd who never expresses his feelings, never decides to get serious with his affections, always runs away from his problems… yet look at that, all the hot chicks love him just for that. Makes sense NOT.

The lead girl is the usual bimbo with huge boobs and tiny brain who one day just drops in the fail-male’s house and immediately tries its best to have sex with him. Heck, it is part of the story too; she is on heat and MUST mate with the first male she likes. Well, she chooses this eunuch, who for some reason hardly cares. Other than that, there are two other human girls, who are super spies or something, taking armies of terrorists and fight with mecha like they are having breakfast. They are too in love with the guy and his completely boring and dried up personality. There are also many other secondary characters, most of which are again oversexualized girs or lolis or MILFs who are there just to further advance the story with more FAP SERVICE.

Again, the story had lots of openings to be something really interesting and its cast had enough backdrop to be fleshed out a lot more. We clearly see scenes where the main girls offer insight to what has formed their lives to be as such and why they like the main cardboard. And yet all of it is washed away for sleazy nude and sex jokes around nekomimis, degrading them to nothing else other than sperm targets. It is a really shame; really it is. It’s not like we can’t have that; remember the Abh aliens in Banner of the Stars? They were cat-lovers as well. Yet what do we learn of the Catia aliens in the entire show? That they are all super hot nekomimi chicks on heat, who love to cosplay. Ok…

A special note must be given to the mascots of the show, those small cat android helpers. They are supposed to be cute and eye-catchy for us to like them. Only thing THEY ARE UGLY F**KERS. Their faces are just emotionless globes with two black spots and their movements are simplistic and not perky at all. They are distasteful critters and I hate them!

ART & SOUND SECTIONS: 5/10
Art Analysis: General Artwork 1/2, Character Figures 1/2, Backgrounds 1/2, Animation 1/2, Visual Effects 1/2
Sound Analysis: Voice Acting 1/3, Music Themes 2/4, Sound Effects 2/3

Being a parody of fetishes and sci-fi in general, each episode is full of hints and allusions to other famous works or anime tropes. It is a nice extra to keep you somewhat interesting. There are also lots of action scenes with explosions and gunfights and spaceships, all of which are rushed, not serious at all and effectively are nothing but filler time before the next ecchi scene pops up. Beyond that, all girls are drawn in ways to attract all the pervs; all possible body shapes and booby sizes are present, accompanied by all sorts of cosplay uniforms.

There are males too but who cares about them…

Voice acting and BGM are nice; nothing irritating here.

Unfortunately, all the above are done in a rather boring way. The characters don’t look lively or perky enough, their talking has no real context to care about, too many still frames, the explosions look fake, the nude scenes are the same copy-pasted ones we see in all similar shows and thus are not exciting at all. Heck, after Queen’s Blade, what is? It’s like it was all done without much care to look eye-catchy enough.

VALUE & ENJOYMENT SECTIONS: 1/10
Analysis: Historical Value 0/3, Rewatchability 0/3, Memorability 1/4

In a way, this show did the same mistake DearS did many years ago. It is offering a great premise around alien encounters and character immersion and yet hardly does anything with it. It is also not exciting in any way as it uses a tired formula of ecchi and a cast not worth remembering for being so undermined in favor of something any other similar show offers in the same or better way.

The first episodes were interesting, while the lead girl was on heat and was acting all crazy. But then that faded away and there wasn’t even a spicy situation to look forward to. The final episode didn’t even feel sexy anymore because all the situations were shown so many times in previous episodes and by then the little interest you may have had is already gone as well.

VERDICT: 2.5/10

2.5/10 overall
cherold's avatar By cherold on Sep 4, 2014

For about the first half, I found this reasonably entertaining, mainly because it's so utterly ludicrous. It's sexy cat-girl theme is silly even by ecchi standards.

But as the series continued, I began to lose interest. The characters are bland and the stories aren't compelling. I don't think the makers agree with me though, because they focussed less and less on fan service and more and more on the story, and by episode 9 it had lost most of its sexiness *and* funniness. I stopped watching in the middle of episode 10; I just didn't care anymore.

AnimeIsLyfe's avatar By AnimeIsLyfe on Nov 8, 2014

I started watching anime again because of this. The anime is actually really good for some fanservice anime. It got serious at times and made me catch feels. The plot can be dumb at times but its also really interesting, mysterious and intricate. You won't be dissapointed by this anime. It is different in its own style and unfortunately very short. The vocals and animation are superb. The character development is lacking besides the last episode or two. Great anime.

9.5/10 story