Asobi ni Iku yo!

Alt titles: Cat Planet Cuties

roriconfan's avatar By roriconfan on Apr 2, 2012

An anime with minimum effort to make a convincing story. The scriptwriter practically took all possible fetishes and threw them at your face, trying to make it look funny. And indeed, ANI is really a parody of anime sexual fetishes… and nothing else.

For starters, this anime did the mistake of airing in a time when such shows are all over the place. It is not special in any way; neither does it try to offer anything out of the ordinary. In fact, it hardly tries to be average. Even if it aims towards the usual target audience of males who still find 2D interesting, there is nothing in it that other shows around the same time weren’t offering in spades. So yeah, bad first impressions.

The prime fetish here is cat girls. You know; nekomimis and tails and stuff. Using that as a base, any other fetish is later add to spice things further. Which works for a few episodes, until the prime fetishes run out and the situation becomes far less exciting than when it began. Before I move along, I must point out that I find it hideous to like a girl with cat ears. Especially if she already has a set of normal ones and the cat-like ones are popping as extra from the top of the scull. Yuck!

STORY SECTION: 1/10
Analysis: Premise 1/2, Pacing 0/2, Complexity 0/2, Plausibility 0/2, Conclusion 0/2

First the story… If you are able to find one. It is about cat women coming to Earth to have fun and mess with the life of the Archetypical Loser TM; anything other than that is just smokescreen. There are supposed to be conspiracies and alien invasions every now and then, spies double crossing, mecha firing energy beams and huge spaceships blowing up. All of these are presented in the most simplistic and rushed way possible, just as filler for the real focus of the show, which are excuses to have cat girls doing sexual stuff.

To be honest, the premise of the story could lead to something really interesting if it was taken seriously. I mean, it is about aliens coming to study human life and have fun while at the same time preventing their technology from being abused by shadow organizations and protecting the planet from being destroyed by their arch-enemies. Yet all we see is oversexualized nekomimis indulging in all sorts of deprived fetishes because it is supposed to be learning about the human culture… which in the context of the series consists of nothing other than hentai magazines and cosplay shops. Seriously, WTF? I know it is a comedy which makes fun of otaku culture but it is doing it in such a blunt way, it is offending.

CHARACTER SECTION: 1/10
Analysis: Presence 0/2, Personality 0/2, Backdrop 1/2, Development 0/2, Catharsis 0/2

The lead male is the driest form of Indecisive Leads you can hope to never see again, yet unfortunately here he is again. I mean, seriously, the scriptwriters didn’t even bother to give him some quirk to at least look a bit different that all the rest of his brood. He is just a four-eyed nerd who never expresses his feelings, never decides to get serious with his affections, always runs away from his problems… yet look at that, all the hot chicks love him just for that. Makes sense NOT.

The lead girl is the usual bimbo with huge boobs and tiny brain who one day just drops in the fail-male’s house and immediately tries its best to have sex with him. Heck, it is part of the story too; she is on heat and MUST mate with the first male she likes. Well, she chooses this eunuch, who for some reason hardly cares. Other than that, there are two other human girls, who are super spies or something, taking armies of terrorists and fight with mecha like they are having breakfast. They are too in love with the guy and his completely boring and dried up personality. There are also many other secondary characters, most of which are again oversexualized girs or lolis or MILFs who are there just to further advance the story with more FAP SERVICE.

Again, the story had lots of openings to be something really interesting and its cast had enough backdrop to be fleshed out a lot more. We clearly see scenes where the main girls offer insight to what has formed their lives to be as such and why they like the main cardboard. And yet all of it is washed away for sleazy nude and sex jokes around nekomimis, degrading them to nothing else other than sperm targets. It is a really shame; really it is. It’s not like we can’t have that; remember the Abh aliens in Banner of the Stars? They were cat-lovers as well. Yet what do we learn of the Catia aliens in the entire show? That they are all super hot nekomimi chicks on heat, who love to cosplay. Ok…

A special note must be given to the mascots of the show, those small cat android helpers. They are supposed to be cute and eye-catchy for us to like them. Only thing THEY ARE UGLY F**KERS. Their faces are just emotionless globes with two black spots and their movements are simplistic and not perky at all. They are distasteful critters and I hate them!

ART & SOUND SECTIONS: 5/10
Art Analysis: General Artwork 1/2, Character Figures 1/2, Backgrounds 1/2, Animation 1/2, Visual Effects 1/2
Sound Analysis: Voice Acting 1/3, Music Themes 2/4, Sound Effects 2/3

Being a parody of fetishes and sci-fi in general, each episode is full of hints and allusions to other famous works or anime tropes. It is a nice extra to keep you somewhat interesting. There are also lots of action scenes with explosions and gunfights and spaceships, all of which are rushed, not serious at all and effectively are nothing but filler time before the next ecchi scene pops up. Beyond that, all girls are drawn in ways to attract all the pervs; all possible body shapes and booby sizes are present, accompanied by all sorts of cosplay uniforms.

There are males too but who cares about them…

Voice acting and BGM are nice; nothing irritating here.

Unfortunately, all the above are done in a rather boring way. The characters don’t look lively or perky enough, their talking has no real context to care about, too many still frames, the explosions look fake, the nude scenes are the same copy-pasted ones we see in all similar shows and thus are not exciting at all. Heck, after Queen’s Blade, what is? It’s like it was all done without much care to look eye-catchy enough.

VALUE & ENJOYMENT SECTIONS: 1/10
Analysis: Historical Value 0/3, Rewatchability 0/3, Memorability 1/4

In a way, this show did the same mistake DearS did many years ago. It is offering a great premise around alien encounters and character immersion and yet hardly does anything with it. It is also not exciting in any way as it uses a tired formula of ecchi and a cast not worth remembering for being so undermined in favor of something any other similar show offers in the same or better way.

The first episodes were interesting, while the lead girl was on heat and was acting all crazy. But then that faded away and there wasn’t even a spicy situation to look forward to. The final episode didn’t even feel sexy anymore because all the situations were shown so many times in previous episodes and by then the little interest you may have had is already gone as well.

VERDICT: 2.5/10

2.5/10 overall
jcemmanuelrasco's avatar By jcemmanuelrasco on Nov 27, 2010

Asobi ni Iku yo!, Human-like Aliens with cat features has come to earth!! yes the story starts off with that. A hot human figured alien with some other not-so-human parts bumps into an innocent school boy, now where did I heard that before?

Welcome to my review on Asobi ni Iku yo!

|*| Lets start things off with the sound which is the same as any anime series i've seen. i'm not gonna make it a big deal but i'll give it a 9/10 for sound.

|*| The Story starts with a wandering female alien from space, heads to earth, meets an innocent school boy and lives with him. Sounds familiar? yeah thats right same as the other Ecchi, Comedy Anime , To Love-ru. If by chance you don't know The FAMOUS ANIME TO-LOVE-RU then may i ask you what have you been doing all these years?Its so alike but not everything the makers of Asobi ni Iku yo! tweaked it abit to avoid as much similarity unfortunately they didn't do a good job in make in hiding the similarity between the 2 anime/s. SO FOR LACK OF ORIGINALITY i the story a 8/10.

|*| The Characters! one boy with alot of girls... harem? YES! and thats  what makes it great. Unfortunately they lack information of the other characters, in every episode its the main characters everytime. Unlike any other Anime that has a special episode for the other character's story which shows their personality and characteristics. so 9/10

|*| As for how it was animated, its what you will expect from any Anime thats made on 2010. and with that logic. I approve, and gave the animation a rating of 10/10.

Overall I give this Anime a 6/10 due to lack of originality and uhm... basically it lacks alot of stuff. but the anime is really great it will make you laugh and laugh some more. I recommend you to watch it its a really great anime. if your into Ecchi, Comedy animes of course =) alright see ya

Alistoru's avatar By Alistoru on Nov 7, 2010

Stopped watching after two episode because those are the only ones I could find uncensored. As a policy I refuse to watch censored anime. Censorship in all it's forms sucks. Waiting for the DVDs to come out to finish this one.

FadeToBlack91's avatar By FadeToBlack91 on Jun 29, 2012

ASOBI NI IKU YO (Action/Ecchi/Comedy/Sci-Fi)

Not that I expected much more from an Anime that presents in the first episodes a universe populated by "cat aliens" vs. "dog aliens", which use the Earth one for diplomatic action (mainly devoted to culinary exchanges) the other for war...however, paradoxical/sci-fi Anime like "Elfen Lied", "Chobits" or "Sora No Otoshimono", and idiotic Anime as "Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka?" or "Kami Nomi Zo Shiru Sekai", have demonstrated a great deal in terms of cultural and philosophical features, far from how they could be objectively presented...well, let's say that I hoped to have the same opinion about "Asobi Ni Iku Yo", but I was wrong.

6.5/10 story
7.5/10 animation
7.5/10 characters
Darksaber's avatar By Darksaber on Dec 10, 2010

This anime was an extremely pleasant surprise. I thought for sure it would be nothing but fanservice, and would have to stop after a few episodes from the underwear and boob-jiggling overload. Fortunately, I was very wrong.

The story is actually coherent, but strange. Cat-eared aliens with nearly identical DNA come to earth to establish diplomatic relations, and get undermined by a Dog-eared alien. Okay, sure. Then about 4 secret agencies pop up, all with their own agendas as to what to do with the new alien visitors. Okay. Then a cult pops up that revere the cat-eared aliens as gods... Yeah, okay, the story's all over the place, but it still ties together well enough.

The animation of the anime is excellent, along with the sound. The opening credits I watched for every single episode, even though I usually skip the opening after seeing it once. The amount of effort that went into some of the scenes, the effects, the framerate, everything about the visual aspects of the anime scream that there was plenty of hours devoted to making it look good.

The intro song was another reason I watched it every time. Catchy, upbeat, and fit the the feel of the anime. The background scores fit well the the scenes that were on screen, and the sound effects were also very appropriate. I don't think there was much room for improvement on the visual, or audio components of this anime.

The characters though, they were a bit on the bland side. Kio, the main character, was an average harem character with multiple girls fawning over him, but he's too dense to notice them. The main alien Eris was perky. Really, that was her defining characteristic. Manami and Aoi though actually had character to them. Both part of secret organizations, Aoi thinking herself unworthy of feeling anything for Kio because of her black-ops history, and Manami who thought she had lost her shot with Kio long ago. The rest of the cast were average, and/or underdeveloped. I do find it interesting that not a single alien on their ship was male, and either I missed it, or they never explained why.

In the end, I enjoyed this anime thoroughly. If you're looking for a light-hearted anime, that's fun, funny, and a joy to watch and listen to, I'd highly recommend it.