JJR1971's avatar By on Dec 26, 2015

Okay, firstly, do NOT watch EVOL if you haven't seen the original series, Aquarion.  You will get so much more out of the experience if you wait and go back and watch the original series before starting this one.  Otherwise you literally don't know (the significance of) what you're looking at.  This is a tale of MYTHOLOGY, cleverly disguised as generic sci-fi mecha.  It's all about gods & spirits and reincarnation and being true to yourself and expanding your potential and blah blah blah.  It's very deeply psychological and mystical.

The characters in EVOL are the reincarnated souls of characters from the first series; though evidently souls can be divided between persons and sometimes two people seem to have inherited the attributes of different aspects of a single original character, etc.  It's all kind of confusing and you have to pay attention to pick up on who is the ancestor of whom, why it's significant, etc.  While the action sometimes plays out like a conventional sci-fi mecha, with echos of Evangelion (enemies known as "Angels", etc), it frequently veers off in weird directions to arrive at novel solutions, etc.  That is to say, it has much the same general dynamic as the original series, but it does have a few new plot twists and conflicts that are new and different from the original, and a new love story at the heart of it that is riven with conflict of some divided souls in the present day that if were a Facebook relationship status it would read "It's complicated".

I personally enjoyed both this and the original series, but I can also see how it's not for everyone. It expects you to remember a lot and to think and make educated guesses.

8.8/10 overall
theSentinel's avatar By on Feb 26, 2015

If you did not watch Genesis of Aquarion (the first series) then you need to watch it first.

epic.  This is one of those shows that had major qirks to the point of turning people away.  However if you were amoung those that were resolute enough to finish both Aqarion title, then you know the epicness of the ending.

I personally loved Aquarion.  At first I stalled it due to the episodic nature and silliness.  When I picked it back up I realized the depth of the story, and the depth of the characters.  I fell in love with it and then moved forward into watching the second series, Aquarion Evol

Now I didnt realize it at first, but both series are actually connected.  What I mean is that, while they had SIMILARITIES, there werent any real connections between the two.  Then at about episode 8 to 10 of Evol they make the major connections between the two anime, and you realize that this is a continuation of the story from Genesis.  Once I realized this, it made watching it 1000 times easier and more exciting.

Story:  I LOVE epic stories.  Stories that encompass the world, the galaxy, the universe.  Massive in scale.  However this grandious feel is incomplete without humble beginnings.  The first series did it well too.  Just another mecha that begins by building a few characters, and then some of the plot, and then introduces the history.  Eventually you combine the history of the anime with the current plot, at this point realizing the EPIC nature of the enemies plan.  "Holy sh*t we are in trouble now".  This is where the characters step up, bringing with the the growth and building that makes them strong and fighting back.  Both Aquarions did this wonderfully.  This anime built from random silliness into full blown frontal assault on the storyline.  If you like a solid story that carries all the way to the end, dont miss watching both of the Aquarion series.

Animation:  Pretty standard, better than the first series, but nothing out of this world.  This is the only part I think they really could have done a little better on.  It wasnt bad though so fear not.

Sound:  I thought this was great.  They used the same music from the first series, but they used different parts of the song and some songs were slightly revamped.  However they kept the feeling of the first series through the second and it made the music just seem that much more epic.  Reviving the themes into newer more grand pieces.  I thought it was awesome.

Characters:  The characters in both series are extremely lovable.  There are a few flaws in the characters and things that pissed me off about them, but for the most part I loved all the characters.  There are some great dynamics between them.  Also, while at first it may seem like a silly anime, it will get serious, and the characters follow suite.  They are serious when they need to be, but the silly parts bring out their individuality very nicely.  I especially loved how they amped up Fudo and Toma.  They were much more convincing in Evol.  Toma's lyric nature really pronounced itself in this series, and Fudo's wisdom was more legit and believable (I know im living dangerously with that word).

Overall: Fantastic.  Epic.  Glorious.  Fun loving.  Grand.  I dont know how to make you watch this series, but I will simply say that I was damn good.  At the end I only wanted more.

9.5/10 sound
9.3/10 overall
xMaster's avatar By on Sep 29, 2012

First off, I ABSOLUTELY LOVED the original Aquarion. It hit all the right notes in what I look for in a series. 1) It took itself at face value. 2) The cast was entertaining. 3) The plot was interesting. 4) The titular mech looked FREAKING AWESOME, and 5) Over the top action every episode. Basically, it had heart.

It was missing one thing, despite this. This sole thing that would've made that show so much more entertaining and consisent.

Enter 2011/2012's Aquarion EVOL. Taking place roughly 12,000 some odd years after the original series, it features a brand new cast, a brand new DEAVA, a brand new threat and a brand new Aquarion. Sounds awesome, doesn't it?

Sadly, that's where the similarties end.

Part of the greatest charm of the original series was the fact that it didn't take itself too seriously and had fun with what it was doing and it's ridiclous concepts. EVOL, on the other hand, tries to take itself serious too often to be considered entertaining.

The plot is a slight rehash over the original's plot. Similiar to how the Shadow Angels' over the original series abducted, the aptly named Abductors do the same for god know's what reason. The later half of the series still retains some of the original series's tropes and elements but does so with so little grace that it feels forced and unncesary. This leads into my major complaint with the show; The Cast.

I found myself liking almost all of Genesis's cast. The only exceptions Sirius and Silvia, though the OVA did rectify that. On the other hand, EVOL's casted I hated with the exception of two or three characters.

The music is still awesome. That shouldn't be suprising considering AKINO is once again handling the vocal themes. It also proves once again that first opening theme is most likely going to be the better of two openings.

I only found myself continuing watching the show post episode 14 to see what would happen to the characters I actually liked. Even then, most of them got bad ends so now that I look back at it, EVOL was too serious all around and didn't have fun with it.

That's not even going to the biggest retcon in the history of retcons which is possibly the dumbest plot twist in the history of dumb plot twists.

But hey, more Fudo's never a bad thing, right?

Final Rating:

Characters: D+

Plot: C

Sound: A

Animation: A

Overall: C+

(PS: Best girl lost.)

Drmix's avatar By on Dec 16, 2015

This whole anime is based an a gay ship that happens 24 000 years ago.. i personaly enjoyed it till 16 th episode then it just got wtf is wrong with you , why you do this , omg , wtf , and so on... I do not recommend it when you start watching your gonna say he is an idiot what was he talking about then when ntr comes your gonna say maybe he was wright then when the end comes youll say what a waist of my time.
This is my personal opinion you may hate it i dont care.

tennis101101's avatar By on Jan 29, 2014

I liked the story line to this anime. I like how it flowed nicely form the previous seires. What I like about the story line is that the main characters are trying to fulfill one main goal in thier life. The animation of this anime is really good. I like the details in the characters and also the details in the scenary. This anime has very good theme songs, such as the opening song and some of the ending songs. I also love some of the battle songs which in my opinion do not drown out the characters voices. I love most of the characters in this anime but there are some characters that I really want to die because they really piss me off. But overall this is a fairly good anime.

7.5/10 animation