Aquarian Age

roriconfan's avatar By roriconfan on Mar 29, 2012

As much as I like Madhouse as a studio, this is one of their worst projects. The story is a complete mess and everything feels boring.

ART & SOUND SECTION: 6/10
Nothing particulary bad here. The graphics and sounds feel quite average in all directions. The setting is a typical city and the supernatural effects and costumes are nothing great. So symbolic overtones and a few in-depth dialogues give off the sensation that the series is not completely clished. Still, there are no highly detailed or great visuals and music themes to take notice.

STORY & CHARACTER SECTION: 4/10
The leading male in the story is a typical musician / singer with the average fame of an ephemeral pop idol all around him. Unknown to him, his talent is a trigger to a future cataclysmic event, as human history will enter the Age of Aquarius (thus the name of the series). Supernatural chicks and monsters appear to control his power for their personal agendas.

So far, so good. A typical messianism theme, combined with astrological remarks, a post-apocalyptic event to be avoided, supernatural forces at war and music to dress the whole. Unfortunately, NOTHING HAPPENS! Seriously, they promised a dozen epic-level events and offered practically nothing. The characters mostly talk gibberish about uninteresting events, the battles are dull, the plot is slow and the conclusion isn’t much. Even the highlights in the show are quite one-of-the-same and quite typical in comparison to similar series. And the characters, my God, they were so boring! They had nothing particular to remember them. Too bad. Wasted potential of a great concept.

VALUE & ENJOYMENT SECTION: 2/10
If Aquarius is such a boring Age, long live Pisses!

VERDICT: 4/10
Hrrr … ZZZ … Hrr … H-Huh! … Wha … Is it over?

And now a few things about the sequel movie/ OVA to this thing.

- The visuals there are much, much better; plenty of nice battles, post-apocalyptic events and pretty girls in spacesuits kicking ass. Explosions and music themes sound good, voice acting is decent. They are still nothing in comparisson to animated masterworks, like the much similar Karas.
- The story… Ok, what just happened here? Where are the ties with the series? Are there even any? Supposed, the catastrophic event wasn’t prevented and these super chicks fight Armageddon On Earth. Yes, very good; so what? Is there a point to all this? With only one OVA, we just get a glimpse of all this mess. A few well made action scenes and some talking about undeveloped side-stories. Well? Where is the rest of it? Or the events that led to all this? … Nowhere! BZZZ! Fail at presentation! The characters and the story are nothing without proper explaining or development.
- The OVA is titles “Don’t forget me.” Sorry baby, already did…

SUGGESTION LIST
Kachou Ouji: Hard Rock Save the Space. Much similar in story, less serious in plot and yet much, much more enjoyable than this thing.
Choujikuu Yousai Macross. Who can forget Minmei’s singing, which could prevent entire interstellar wars?

PlatapusSpasmAK47's avatar By PlatapusSpasmAK47 on May 7, 2010

In the beginning (meaning the first couple of episodes) I happened to really like this show. I mean, the characters were very relatable, and there weren't any forced actions between the characters. Also, the idea of combining super powers and the entertainment industry is certainly...unique. So I kept going on eagerly....

and was bitterly dissapointed.

After the first few episodes, every single episode after that is pure unadultarated angst. The main character angsted, which made his band angst. Then his girl friend angsted, and then he angsted some more because everyone else was angsting. Honestly, I deal with enough angst as it is (being that I'm in High School), but this was just too much. I found myself just blankly staring at the screen wishing for the series to be over and done with. It was just too boring. And then the fangirls. Ugh. EVERY SINGLE GIRL had a gigantic crush on the main character. Yeah, sure, he's in a semi known band. And he's pretty cute. But...honestly, he wasn't that special, he was a pretty bland character. Yet all the girls are freakin out. I guess that's to be expected though, seeing as how girls are freakin out over similar people in real life. However, what made me iffy, was that only about one girl in his class was freaking out about him. If he's so popular, why isn't the rest of his class fangirling over him as well?

Another thing that I didn't really like was the fact that they made being discovered look so easy. Maybe some bands really do experience that, but I think they should have made the process of becoming famous a bit more...intense. I know the story wasn't focusing on how the band became famous, but they could have inserted some hints of their previous struggles.

I really can't write any more about the story because...there was no story. Just a whole bunch of depressed people.

Animation:

It was alright. Nothing special. I guess it was good considering it was made in 2002, and I did like some character designs (the keyboard player).

Sound:

Ok. So, since this is an anime about a band and magical people in the entertainment industry, you would expect it to be pretty good on the music side. Through out the whole entire series, they only play one song from the band, their most "epic" and awesome song. And honestly, it wasn't that good. The rest of the time, the music kept repeating itself through out the series.

All of them bland and uninteresting. The directors were probably trying to spice up the show by making them angry and depressed all the time. Oh joy. Maybe for one episode, but not for an ENTIRE series.

Overall:

If you really have nothing to do, watch it. But only as a last resort. It certainly had some unique ideas, that probably could have made a very interesting anime. Alas, the directors failed to do so. In case I haven't made my point across yet, this anime was dull, bland, etc. because about 11 of the 13 episodes consisted of the characters whining and complaining and just being annoying.