Appleseed

RickGrimes's avatar By on Jun 8, 2016

Appleseed is a rather strange anime. The premise it holds is also strangely unique but at the same time has also been used so many times in other movies that it looks like it’s just a cheap-rip off. YOU CAN defend it saying that when it came out it was a unique premise but truth be that does not matter since now there are a lot more anime that show this premise in a much better way and so this anime can’t really be respected as some classic either. To put this anime in a simpler fashion it’s just a buddy-cop show with some clever plot elements terrible mixed in.

The Plot:-

I can’t go into much detail without spoiling the anime but I tried my best to not include spoilers and so it might have minor spoilers no big deal. So it takes place in a distant and alternative future where mankind has modified themselves into a half-human and half-robot…uh well cyborg really.

Now not all of mankind is like this…some people are special and they are still human and things are shown in a screwed up manner. Not that it can be helped. It has plentiful of plot elements like mechas, cyborgs, human-cyborg racism, future technology, complex world setting etc. and some human rivalry and suspense and mystery, a huge corporation which is the master mind behind eveything but there’s only so much you can show well in a 66 minute flick. In short everything is a mess. Mechas are never given much time(not that they need it), cyborgs mindset and lifestyle are only given little hints of, human-cyborg racism is just implied, future technology is an added sweetener, world building which had much potential is just given bits and pieces hints about and all the else…who has time for? There is also a cyborg who has 50’s TV set for a head thrown in.

There is some story thrown in to make it a show AND they try to show it as a mystery thriller but just revealing the mystery in the first 15 minutes of the movie, nuff said. I wont even go on about the characters.

6/10 for what potential and power the plot COULD have had.

5/10 for the characters.

Animation:-

Nothing special, not really weak either which is fitting for the time it came out. It’s detailed and fluid. There is much of importance put in mecha designs and future gadgets design which does not have importance in this show, but what does have importance is given to little of detail. I’m talking about the characters. Easily deformed and having poor character designs they don’t deliver what they are supposed to. The men are drawn manly (even 60 year old people) and even women are manly. The TV head person who is also the only likeable character is the only person with a fitting design and fortunately he does not deform every two scenes. The backgrounds also vary drastically from scene to scene. Sometimes they are well made and detailed to be called artotherwisethey are just random scenes with very less detail and color thrown in.  Fortunately this gets better as the show progresses.

7/10 for the mechas, the TV head and the backgrounds.

Music and VA:-

The VA’s all do a really good job of depicting the characters. The voices seem tremendously fitting for the respected characters. The only flaw I could find in the VA section was the VA that voiced the girls did some annoying sounds during the funny scenes. KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. I heard it just like that.

As for the music…well now that I think of it the music has only 3 tracks that I can remember of and one of them is mediocre and the other 2 are rather good. The problem I did find was bad placement. An eccentric jazz track playing in a painful departure is the not the right track. Likewise a funny light hearted track is also not the track you play in a blood rushing chase. So the problem was good tracks which are unfitting to the show.

6/10 for the VA’s acting and the good tracks. Lost 3 points for being the wrong show to use the tracks.

Overall:-

A good pastime at the best. This anime is not something you should watch when you want something that’s blood pumping or when looking for a well-developed anime. This is something you should watch when you’re not sure what you want to watch and would do with anything short. I don’t really know when you will feel like it either:-/ A rather mediocre anime at its best.

6/10

A Daily Anime Marathon Club review!!!

FullmetalCowboy24's avatar By on Oct 21, 2013

Critic’s Log - Earthdate: October 21, 2013. Review #61: Appleseed (1988 OVA)

I don’t even know what to say before going over this one… Here’s an OVA of Appleseed.

After World War III,  the General Management Control Office construct an experimental city known as Olympus inhabited by humans, cyborgs and bioroids. Bioroids are a genetically engineered being created to serve mankind. They run all administration of Olympus. Olympus was meant to be a utopian society. But for some it is less of a utopia and more of a cage. Calon Mautholos, an Olympus city police officer, is one of these people. Things run amok when a terrorist, A. J. Sebastian, plans to destroy Gaia, a super computer that runs Olympus. Out to stop him are Olympus city police SWAT team members Deunan Knute and Briareos Hecatonchires. Deunan and Briareos are determined to stop the terrorist plot at all costs.

To be technical, this is a production of 5 studios. which are AIC, Bandai Visual, MOVIC, Tohokushinsha Film Corporation, and even Gainax. Does this movie hold up now that it has 5 studios. Not exactly. Even though this was made in 1988, the animation does have some problems in this OVA. It’s interesting to note that regarding the Appleseed franchise. I discovered that this is the only entry that has the traditional hand-painted cels. All the other entries in Appleseed after this is CG animated. The animation in this OVA is okay is not very good though,. But I will say this fun fact. Hideaki Anno was the mechanical supervisor for this OVA.

The music by Norimasa Yamanaka is one big problem. There are not many themes in this movie and there is one specific tune you will be hearing quite often. Don’t ask me what the song title is because I don’t know. The soundtrack is not even all that great and the fact that the movie uses a specific tune like 4 or 5 times within an hour. That’s not a good sign. Yamanaka-san’s other compositions are on other shows that some people probably don’t know either and there’s not much to be said on the music here. It overplays a tune and it’s a disappointment.

The Japanese cast is pretty decent, Masako Katsuki is good as Deunan. Yoshisada Sakaguchi is decent as Briareos. Mayumi Shou is also decent as Hitomi. Toshiko Sawada is also decent as Athena. Toshio Furukawa is surprisingly really good as Calon, and this OVA somehow got Norio Wakamoto to play A.J. Sebastian. So that’s pretty cool. When it comes to the dub. The pronunciations are pretty different, The dub is a little hit and miss. Larissa Murray is ok as Deunan. Bill Roberts is a bit hit and miss as Briareos (Bularios in the dub). Alan Marriot is ok as Calon (Karon in the dub) Julia Brahms is ok as Hitomi, Lorelei King is ok as Athena. Vincent Marzello is hit and miss as A.J. Sebastian. The dub is listenable if you don’t mind hearing cheesy voices. It’s an ok dub and I expected the dub to be not all that great because it was old. The ADR direction by Jill Wilmot is hit and miss as the end result. But both casts aren’t that impressive.

If you’re gonna expect much out of the characters, you are sadly out of luck. This OVA lasted 65 minutes and every single character in this OVA is not developed all that well. Deunan is okay I guess. Briareos looks like a Bio-Android with robotic bunny ears. Athena is alright I guess. Hitomi (even though there’s a little secret) isn’t developed that much either, Calon is ok, and A.J. Sebastian is just a stock villian. All of this in 65 minutes.

It gets worse. The story is not even interesting and it is not written well because the OVA doesn’t give enough time for the viewer to get adjusted to the settings. It is a bit rushed too. The story is also really forgettable and it really feels like a commercial for Masamune Shirow’s manga of the same name. That’s what it feels like to me. At the time I am making this review, I have not read the manga… But I hope I get a better experience than this waste of time OVA.

The Appleseed OVA was available by Manga Entertainment and it is out of print.

With all that said, the Appleseed OVA is mostly a waste of time with it’s shallow plot, characters, and music. The animation isn’t as shallow, but it’s still not good. Take my advice and skip this one unless you are a completionist while viewing certain franchises.

I give the Appleseed OVA a 2.6 out of 10. it is BAD!

Feel free to leave a comment.

4.5/10 animation
3.5/10 characters
2.6/10 overall
Shucurucu's avatar By on Apr 25, 2011

La primera parte de "Semilla de Manzana" que nos presenta un motivo de fondo muy loable, la amistad, si la amistad que se confunde entre amor y deber al trabajo de 2 policias que entregaran todo por mantener el orden dentro de un mundo post apocaliptico en donde muchos de los hombres que sufrieron alguna herida son "arreglados" con partes roboticas.

Muy buena!