Another

mahius's avatar By mahius on Jun 19, 2014

Another, is an anime faithfully based on a novel written by Yukito Ayatsuji. Available in both English and Japanese, is felt more of a mystery than a horror, yet with some horror aspects, I found this anime to be the best audio-visual 'horror' experience so far in life. Why do I think so?

The animation is modern and clear, as is to be expected. It doesn't have too much of a unique look, however there are no faults with it for the most part. The sound is pretty good, the exceptional music is used to set the mood and even the calm, seemingly positive outro music had an eerie feel after a while. The english dub does the job well.

The most important aspect of this anime is the story. It is a mystery and a veryh well written one at that. The progression is complete, so it doesn't require a sequel, though it could be argued that there isn't a reason not to. What I enjoyed the most about the story was that it was unpredictable and reasonably so. There is a lot of foreshadowing, which most people won't notice when they first run through. The ending makes sense as there are clues all throughout which I mostly noticed in a second watch of the series. The synopsis can be found on the main page.

Characters were done very well, which may have been due to the fact that this was a novel. The main characters are followed throughout the anime and there is reason why these characters are more significant. It seemed like a few characters were cut short and weren't shown enough, but again it is to do with the story. I found it rather funny that this anime has a beach episide, however it is still to do with story and there is no aspect of ecchi in this anime.

I would recommend this anime to anyone, yes, anyone. I showed it to someone who was into horrors but not into anime and they thoroughly enjoeyed it. If you do watch this anime do not look it up online, as there could be spoilers like on the wikipedia page for the novel. I recommend against a marathon as this anime is it its best when watched over a long period of time. It is mentally engaging to think and to try and solve the mystery in your head and speculate after each episode. If anything, watch the same episode twice on your first run and see if you notice certain things.

Family-friendly rating: 2/5 - No pervyness, but being a horrow means certain things may be unsuitable for a younger audience (lower is better)

Overall rating: 10/10 (higher is better)

kinya's avatar By kinya on Jul 31, 2013

Note, if you want a quick reveiw skip to the last paragraph ;)

The first episode of this anime was really very confusing. After I had finished watching the first eposode I wasn't hooked or interested in the anime at all, I found that I had more questions than I did answers. The second episode was nearly the same, however I began to find things out and I was a little bit interested after watching the second episode. It can't have been untill after the 3rd or 4th episode that I was actually hooked on it. It was a very good story which was very enjoyable, however I found that at the start I was clueless as to what was happening and at the end I got confused about who was dead, who was injured, etc.

The animation was really good, I watched it in HD and I was very pleased with how everything looked, there was nothing glitchy or not to my taste. Arguably there could have been a little bit more gore in some places but personally I was very happy with the level of Animation.

The sound was very good. Wasn't my type of music, however I could see people liking it and I thought that it generally suited the anime so I gave it a ten for those reasons.

Now, when it comes to characters the story got a little bit shaky. I loved the two main characters, and I felt that they were very well explained in the story, so I had no problem with either of them. Thats where it ended with characters really. You don't really get to know any other other characterss very well and while some may have made a quick relationship with some of the less major characters, for me they just weren't on long enough for me to develop any feelings about them.

Overall, I thought the animation and the sound were perfect for the anime and I gave both of them 10/10 because I personally thought they fitted the anime well. However the story, while strong was confusing in places and I didn't really have enough time with most of the character to for any opinion on them.

8.8/10 overall
Torkana's avatar By Torkana on Feb 20, 2012

Another is about a boy named Kouichi Sakakibara who transfers to a new school in grade 9 due to his dad being away for work, leaving the busy city of Tokyo for a more rural environment. His world begins to change when he is admitted to a hospital and while there encounters an odd girl. From this point on things don't seem to make sense to him and it keeps getting worse as he tries to understand what is happening.

This series has been quite good with making each episode feel like it was worth it. While many series suffer from the use of filler arcs or even single episodes Another finds a way to make a good set of events without relying on gimmicky situations to bring in a viewers attention.

The animation is crisp while using its creepy atmosphere and music to keep you on the edge of your seat. The absence of any "over the top" characters helps keep the mood set on what it is, a mystery horror anime. There are close to no jokes (if any) in order for the series to fully evolve in this fear-driven world.

While some people may not enjoy that the episodes play out slower than others I find it is a good way to balance the use of characters along with the horror genre. It is by no means a high paced action horror some people may yearn for.

While the first episode or two may take a bit of time before someone is truly hooked, I recommend giving several episodes a try to see if it can draw you in. I began watching this series out of boredom and I'm glad I did because now I am always eager for the next episode to air.

I would recommend Another to anyone who enjoys mystery/horror and would prefer a more serious anime. I would say so far this is a new favourite of mine and I really hope to see for a NA release when the series is finished. As of now this is a definate buy for myself.

> Torkana

tarent's avatar By tarent on Dec 3, 2012

Story 10/10

This story is amazing.  The deep backstories of the characters, the flips and turns of the plot keep you on your toes throughout the entire series.  I tried making assumptions while watching, no good.  Each assumption was shot down at some point and the complete opposite was thrown in my face with a huge middle finger.  I see this put in a list with Higurashi, but I would set it on it's on list.  The deaths mean something more here, and the story is much more cohesive.

I was pessimistic at first with this anime, seeing as it was grouped with Higurashi and I personally couldn't finish it.  But I was hooked after the second episode, I had to know where the story was going and what the ultimate conclusion would be.  My mind was screwed with many times and it was awesome.

Animation 9/10

The animationa and design of characters is clean and smooth.  It is dark though, and the rare bright scenes really burn into your retinas.  Other than that, it isn't like the most highschool animes.  The design of the schools are gritty and old.  A very nice break from the clean, brand new schools of other animes.

Sound 9/10

Ali Project provides the opening theme.  Is it a coincidence they provided the opening theme for Rozen Maiden while this one also has a doll focus as well?  With the creepy style the opening really sets the mood for what you are about to watch.  The ending is a contrast, calming almost like they are letting you just take in what you just witnessed.

As for voice acting.  It is pretty generic, but the choices work really well.  I enjoyed each characters voice and neither of them were grating or just painfully annoying.

Characters 10/10

A magnificent cast.  Each character is memorable and has their own reasons for their actions.  The main character is easy to follow, and doesn't come off as the hero type, especially in the end.  You can feel the emotions of each character, even the emotionless Misaki.  I really love this cast.

Overall 9.5

Overall, this is a great psychological horror.  It plays with your mind while tickling your emotions.  The story is terrific, the animation is stunning.  I'm in love with the opening by Ali Project.  And the cast is great.  I would recommend this anime to anyone who enjoys a magnificent story, or are looking for a psychological horror that does it's job well.

Cenimoran's avatar By Cenimoran on Mar 27, 2012

Story-

Another centers around a "calamity" that occurs some years in the town of Yomiyama. This calamity affects the students in class 3-3 of Yomiyama North High School, slowly killing off students and their relatives through a variety of means. The main character--a transfer student named Kouichi Sakakibara--and his classmates must figure out how to stop this before most or all of them are killed.

While generally considered to be a "horror" anime, I can't say that Another ever actually frightened me. That's not to say the story isn't excellent. The elements of mystery, such as finding out how this calamity is caused and how to stop it, drive the plot forward. I was also able to derive a certain morbid pleasure from the many, many gruesome deaths that occur throughout the series. The writers make superb use of cliffhangers in several episodes and successfully keep the tension running right until the end.

This is one of the few shows I think works well in a 12-episode format. If it was expanded to 24 or 26 episodes, I think either: A.) the writers would have run out of students to kill or B.) the suspense would have been difficult to maintain. The conclusion wraps things up pretty well and even manages to provide a few twists.

Animation-

The animation of Another is beautiful. Colors, as expected, are generally fairly dark. I in particular loved the use of rusty reds to draw out the color of the sky and buildings. Character designs are in realistic proportions, though the eyes are somewhat large compared to the face (but not by anime standards). Facial expressions show a great amount of detail.

Sound-

I found no fault with the Japanese voice actors. Particularly near the latter half of the series, they express the panic of their characters well. The opening song by ALI PROJECT unfortunately kills the early tension in some of the episodes. It is good otherwise. The very calm ending song, Anamnesis, was not particularly entertaining to me. It is also worth mentioning that some cheesy creepy music is played during the preview of the next episode, but I found it endearing.

Characters-

There are many characters in this anime, a large chunk of which fall prey to the calamity. Most of the minor characters are not explored in any detail. This is acceptable, I think, given the fact that they usually die shortly thereafter.

The main character, Kouichi Sakakibara, neither particularly intrigued nor irritated me. He served his purpose of wading through the events of the calamity well enough.

The mysterious Misaki Mei, reminiscent of none other than Rei from Evangelion, is loved by some fans of this anime. I did not particularly like her. Again, however, she serves her purpose.

Perhaps the best thing about all of the characters is the way they slowly crack under the weight of the calamity. Seeing them squirm and finally go insane is entertaining.

Overall (9/10--Superb)

Another is one of the best anime that I've watched in quite some time. While it may not terrify you, it is suspenseful and entertaining for the entire 12 episodes. Highly recommended.