Animatrix

m0m0's avatar By m0m0 on Feb 6, 2011

The Animatrix is a collection of short films, 9 in total that where created from the creators of the Matrix series and anime directors that inspired them when they where creating the Matrix. Some of the stories are good, while others are not so good. What is nice about this is that each story is animated in a different style and features different characters and voice actors. This is worth the watch for anybody that enjoyed the Matrix film.

MarkoSinadinovic's avatar By MarkoSinadinovic on Nov 10, 2010

Before anything else, I have to say that it's a must to have watched The Matrix (although not necessarily Matrix Reloaded) in order to have a good understanding of The Animatrix. All the episodes are anchored in the world presented in The Matrix, and a chockfull of references abound to events, characters, and situations that had been seen on the aforementioned film. Neo and Trinity (aptly voiced by their live-action counterparts Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss) even make appearances in the stories at some points. First we have "Final Flight of the Osiris", which I thought had the most arresting visuals of all the episodes. It's from the folks who brought us "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" but this time, the computer-generated characters look even more real (even I didn't think it was possible) than those in Final Fantasy ever did -- down to every hair, pore, and freckle. Story-wise though, it is as the title says -- about the last flight of a ship called Osiris. Osiris is under heavy attack from an army of sentinels. One of its crew members, a beautiful woman named Jue, decides to plug in and make one final broadcast in the Matrix. Simple yet stunning, not to mention brimming with fan service, every moment of it left me in awe. Next we have what are arguably the most powerful and meaningful episodes in terms of plot, "Second Renaissance". Second Renaissance shows us how man advances in terms of robotics, creating mechanical assistants with sufficient artificial intelligence to carry out various laborious tasks. The problem is, the robots become too smart. They start clamoring for equal rights and recognition among humans, but the humans are staunch in their belief that robots must be their slaves. A war between humans and robots ensue... with very mixed results. Second Renaissance is directed by Blue Submarine No. 6's Mahiro Maeda. Overall I found Second Renaissance to be a superior piece of work with its realistic storytelling approach and equally appropriate imagery. Cowboy Bebop's Shinichiro Watanabe tries his hand at the franchise with "A Kid's Story" and "Detective Story", which are probably the most directly related episodes to The Matrix movie. "A Kid's Story" (see third screenshot below) is reminiscent of what happened to Neo. A teenage kid makes contact with Neo on the internet, which in turn unleashes hordes of men in black suits who go after him in school. I found the art and animation to be unique and stylish, although I didn't really care for the character designs. The scenes seemed to consist of colored pencil sketches moving with great fluidity, giving the episode a surrealistic effect that matched what was taking place perfectly. Meanwhile, "Detective Story" (see second screenshot below) is about an investigator hired to track down a hacker called Trinity. He succeeds, but there's a price to be paid for their meeting. Detective Story's monochromatic look reminded me of Dick Tracy-esque comic strips you'd see on newspapers, except that its artwork is a lot more refined. Of the two Watanabe offerings, I'd say I liked Detective Story better. It took only one look for me to deduce that the fourth episode, "Program" (see first screenshot below), is Yoshiaki Kawajiri's (director of the cult classics "Ninja Scroll" and "Wicked City") contribution. The character designs were just so... Ninja Scroll-ish, as anyone who has seen Ninja Scroll can attest. Program shows us two people arguing about going back to how their life was before, or living with the truth of the Matrix. They present their points while slashing at each other with their weapons of choice. What really struck me about this episode were the fighting scenes, which came across as an ingenious blend of 2D and 3D effects. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. In "World Record", we have an Olympic runner who's obsessed with setting a world record. Majority of the screening time is devoted to actual run -- sweat dripping, muscles rippling... that kind of thing. Of all the episodes, I found this to be the least attractive. The characters looked weird and the story was so-so to say the least. I could not even enjoy watching the guy run because he looked so... unsightly. "Beyond" (see last screenshot below and title graphic) is about a punk-ish young woman who discovers that her cat is lost. She goes looking for him in a so-called "haunted house" and discovers a world of wonders inside its premises. It shows us what happens when some ordinary, uninitiated folk stumble upon a part of the Matrix. The art and animation are very colorful compared to all the other episodes, and watching it felt like getting a breath of fresh air. Last but not least there's "Matriculated", Aeon Flux-creator Peter Chung's take on the Matrix. Like "Program", I knew right off who had spearheaded this feature because the character designs are exactly like those I had seen in Aeon Flux -- defined facial contours, lithe and willowy bodies, and so forth. Matriculated is about a group of people who "rehabilitate" various sentinels by plugging them in and convincing them that they are better off siding with humans. I found it to be one of the more interesting and solidly narrated episodes in this collection. Visually speaking, it's satisfying I guess... it's just that I'm not really a fan of Peter Chung's animation style. To cap this review off, I should mention that this is one of the rare occasions where the English language version is a lot better than the Japanese counterpart. The Animatrix is overall an excellent collection, definitely a must-see for fans of The Matrix and anime. It's the perfect title for easing someone into anime... provided he / she had already seen The Matrix and liked it.

RabidMonk's avatar By RabidMonk on Oct 7, 2009

OH SNAP!  It's the Matrix!  It must be awesome!

Do you remember those days before the second movie came out?  I sure do.  Ah well.

So for me the Animatrix fit in perfectly where the movies left off.  It's more or less crap that's hardly worth watching but if you stick around long enough there's a few enjoyable bits here and there.

Positives: So really, the animation styles are all kind of neat, and if you're really just into the whole art of anime maybe there's something here you'll enjoy.

There was one story of all the episodes I liked but I don't remember it enough to tell you what it was.

Negatives: Egads.  So I know what this was, and as a conglomeration of shorts by a bunch of people it's fine, it's just not anything I'd ever want to watch again (or in the first place if I could somehow take that back).  I actually kept hoping all the way until I'd finished the whole series of them that someone would impress me with something, but to my dismay I never did reach that point.

So the only real complaint I have about the Animatrix is that it's boring.  That's it.  There simply wasn't a single time where I thought to myself, "Wow, this is cool!" or even "Wow, this isn't a waste of my time!"  That's not good.

So when it was all said and done I just rolled my eyes and dreamed of a better day where the first Matrix never had a sequel and we weren't subjected to the maiming of what could have been one of the greatest sci-fi series of all time.

Shucurucu's avatar By Shucurucu on Apr 25, 2011

Una increible animacion basado en la pelicula Matrix con diferentes verciones del director, la verdad que esta serie de mini capitulos esta muy bien lograda y con el uso de las computadoras tenemos una calidad muy parecida a la vida real.

Bueno para verlo como "cultura general".

9.5/10 animation
9.5/10 sound
gmross's avatar By gmross on Jul 5, 2011

The Animatrix was a unique and fun experience. Although not exactly what I had hoped. It was awesome to see many different styles of animation talking about one subject (sort of). However because it is a compilation of several short movies it is hard to give it an overall rating. What I will rate this on is how the stories worked in conjunction to the actual Matrix Trillogy. I had hoped to see stories about semi important events that did not make it into the matrix movies. There were nine shorts. Of those had something fairly related to the main story. "The Final Flight of The Osiris" was about the closest it got. The Second Renaissance Part I and II was also cool. I enjoy origin stories personally so it was cool to watch. The others didn't really have much to do with the series other than referencing the characters. They are awesome stand alone works. I recommend it to those who like seeing different artistic styles. But dont go into it thinking you'll see the animated version of neo or morpheus. (Trinity appears though).